These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Market Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Trading, i don't get it.

Author
Musashi Date
#21 - 2012-11-08 19:27:36 UTC
Prince Volcae wrote:
That made no sence to me. Is there a vedio at all with it shown?

Video!

EvE Online | Station Trading | pt 1 | tutorial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v9YmV7OYxs

There's alot of these in youtube, but basically they will cover the same thing.
Felicity Love
Doomheim
#22 - 2012-11-11 06:14:12 UTC
Buy low, sell high... what's not to get ? Ugh

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Vadane Deninard
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2012-11-11 10:33:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Vadane Deninard
I think station trading is a good way to get into trading. It requires less "committment" (both money and time wise) than other forms of trading.

For example, you could just pursue your "normal" career (lets say missioning) and still work the market in your hub, updating orders and looking for new trades. Consider it as an active form of asset management.

If you do pure station trading and diversify your trades, its actually pretty hard to make real loss (talking about trading in a mission hub - in Jita, its a different game). That way, a starter can get some knowledge about the market, how prices may swing and get some overall experience.

Cross-regional trading, "market harvesting" (i.e. buying loot region-wide and selling it at a hub for profit) and market making are more advanced, require more knowledge about the game (e.g. what is typical loot? what is valuable for mission runners?) and also require more capital to start with. I certainly wouldnt recommend these trading activities for a beginner. A newbie will be totally overwhelmed by this...
Rhivre
TarNec
Invisible Exchequer
#24 - 2012-11-11 15:29:09 UTC
Station trading, at least just flipping items, is the "easiest" way to get into trading.

Look through the market, find things with a decent gap between buy/sell, buy them, resell them....profit.

I usually do it rather than undocking to trade because I cba to move around the universe with stuff.
Ronix Aideron
Zymurgy Corp.
#25 - 2012-11-12 12:36:28 UTC
I started with pure station trading (i.e. - range of orders was station). Then as a got comfortable and skilled up I moved my buy orders out further and then began hauling stuff from other stations to the trade hub.

In some ways I think the OP is a troll but what ever.

Start the day off slow and taper off from there.

http://eveboard.com/pilot/Ronix_Aideron

McPod
Tier Four Technologies
#26 - 2012-11-13 12:03:48 UTC  |  Edited by: McPod
Station trading involves setting up buy orders and updating them ever and over until you have a stack, then selling that stack through a sell order. This is miserable, annoying, & dull work, but potentially profitable if you do it right. Another strategy is trying to predict future demand = read patch notes + thinking. And then there is manipulation....
El Jin'meiko
Warcrows
The Ascendants
#27 - 2012-11-15 02:47:32 UTC
scandium, dysprosium, navy cap boosters are all good buys atm, as long as you are prepared to wait a week or so for them to spike
Prince Volcae
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#28 - 2012-11-16 06:33:04 UTC
Do you need large start up capitol and how do you find out what the taxes or fees are? How applies the taxes in the game depending in what system you are in? or Shipyard? Does your standing effect your tax rate?

De la mesure dont nous mesurons les autres nous serons mesurés.

Akita T
Caldari Navy Volunteer Task Force
#29 - 2012-11-16 12:21:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Akita T
Prince Volcae wrote:
Do you need large start up capitol and how do you find out what the taxes or fees are? How applies the taxes in the game depending in what system you are in? or Shipyard? Does your standing effect your tax rate?

You don't need a lot of ISK to start trading. Even a few million will do just fine. Some people start trading just with the puny 5k they get when they start the game and that also works (not very well at first, but it works).
In fact, it's better to start relatively small (a few mil, that is), stick to low cost items until you best understand the mechanics. You can easily LOSE ISK if you're not attentive enough.
However, the more ISK you have, the more ISK you can make, since you usually make a certain percentage of what you can turn over.
Later, MUCH later, when you have a truckload of ISK, you might have trouble keeping up with the orders, so the utility of additional investment ISK starts diminishing.

Sales tax is always the same regardless of location. It's 1% without skills, down to 0.5% with L5 Accounting.
Broker fees are altered cumulatively by these three factors:
- your skill (Broker Relations L5 reduces neutral standings fee from the base of 1% down to 0.75%),
- your standing to the NPC corp that owns the station, and
- your standing to the faction the NPC corp that owns the station belongs to (this is roughly double effect compared to corp standing effect, but faction standing is also much harder to increase).
With all factors maximized (L5 skill, corp and faction standing to +10) your broker fee goes down to 0.1875%.
Only your BASE standing matters (connections/diplomacy skill has no effect).
WHERE in the game the station is located does not matter, only NPC owner corp matters. So, for instance, if you go to a CreoDron (Gallente faction NPC corp) station that is physically located in a Minmatar system, your standings with the Minmatar faction does NOT matter, only that with the Gallente faction and the CreoDron NPC corp.
El Jin'meiko
Warcrows
The Ascendants
#30 - 2012-11-16 19:41:56 UTC
a spanish player (Athork) i met years ago made his first billion in his first month of playing via trading, he was also running missions while he was trading - Osmon is the perfect system for that, having SOE lvl 4 agent there
Previous page12