These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Locking speed at 2500mm. Is that good enough for a tackler?

Author
Astraeus Svarog
Premier Logistics and Brokerage
#1 - 2011-10-19 01:59:42 UTC
Roll
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#2 - 2011-10-19 04:33:17 UTC
You tell me. You're the one that will be locking people, it's up to you to decide how long you're willing to wait for the lock.

Tip: If you look at the scan res in EFT and right click it, it'll tell you how long it'll take to lock different ships (either generic classes or custom fits).
Kmelx
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2011-10-19 07:36:50 UTC
Yeah it's fine for a tackler, I have an insta locking arti thrasher with about the same lock speed that I use for tackling outlaws in highsec before they warp off station undocks, I usually get the ship and the pod.
Dark Pangolin
The Tuskers
The Tuskers Co.
#4 - 2011-10-19 14:46:40 UTC
Scan Rez of 2500 is just about right to get your lock time to under 1second. That's the magic number. 1sec. Once you get your lock time under 1sec it doesn't matter. The server works in 1sec increments. So it's all dumb luck and lag once you get your scan rez under 1sec. Usualy 2500-3000 scan Rez is the magic numbe to lock the smallest ships in under 1sec.
Satav
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2011-10-19 18:07:02 UTC
Yea,

If you're not using it for anything too fancy 2500 scan rez is good. you want to get closer to the 3000 range when your flying in wolf packs or ahac gangs.

good luck.

______________________________________________________________________________________

"Your Erebus is docked? How did that happen?" "It took a lot of pushing and grease....."
Comy 1
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2011-10-19 18:55:56 UTC
Unless all you do is ganking people at stations or gates this kind of scan res is way overkill. To get to these numbers you totally throw any kind of utility and usefulness out the window if you want to act tackler during a real fight.

Locking speed isn't worth anything if you can't lock down a target, disable him and stay alive in the process.

Quote:

[Stiletto, Tackle]
Micro Auxiliary Power Core I
Overdrive Injector System II
Nanofiber Internal Structure II

Catalyzed Cold-Gas I Arcjet Thrusters
Medium Shield Extender II
Warp Disruptor II
Warp Scrambler II

150mm Light AutoCannon II, EMP S
Rocket Launcher II, Caldari Navy Gremlin Rocket

Small Polycarbon Engine Housing I
Small Anti-Explosive Screen Reinforcer I

This one only have about 1150 scan res without any squad bonuses, but it outperforms any kind of sensor booster baddie setups.
Bad Messenger
Rehabilitation Clinic
#7 - 2011-10-20 10:27:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Bad Messenger
Dark Pangolin wrote:
Scan Rez of 2500 is just about right to get your lock time to under 1second. That's the magic number. 1sec. Once you get your lock time under 1sec it doesn't matter. The server works in 1sec increments. So it's all dumb luck and lag once you get your scan rez under 1sec. Usualy 2500-3000 scan Rez is the magic numbe to lock the smallest ships in under 1sec.

Bigger is better, it do matters and have difference if you have 2500 or 6000 scan resolutions.

EDIT: But answer to OP question is that 2500 is usually enough.
Myfanwy Heimdal
Heimdal Freight and Manufacture Inc
#8 - 2011-10-20 13:46:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Myfanwy Heimdal
delete

Pam:  I wonder what my name means in Welsh?Nessa: Why?

Bootleg Whammers
Zero Fun Allowed
xqtywiznalamywmodxfhhopawzpqyjdwrpeptuaenabjawdzku
#9 - 2011-10-20 16:47:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Bootleg Whammers
Comy 1 wrote:
Unless all you do is ganking people at stations or gates this kind of scan res is way overkill. To get to these numbers you totally throw any kind of utility and usefulness out the window if you want to act tackler during a real fight.

Locking speed isn't worth anything if you can't lock down a target, disable him and stay alive in the process.

Quote:

[Stiletto, Tackle]
Micro Auxiliary Power Core I
Overdrive Injector System II
Nanofiber Internal Structure II

Catalyzed Cold-Gas I Arcjet Thrusters
Medium Shield Extender II
Warp Disruptor II
Warp Scrambler II

Rocket Launcher II, Caldari Navy Gremlin Rocket

Small Polycarbon Engine Housing I
Small Anti-Explosive Screen Reinforcer I

This one only have about 1150 scan res without any squad bonuses, but it outperforms any kind of sensor booster baddie setups.

A stiletto without an ionic field projector rig. Whats the point of being able to overheat a 24km point out to 35km (level 4 interceptors) if you can't even target that far.

I put either a polycarbon or a targetting subsystem rig and ALWAYS a ionic field projector rig on my stiletto. rocket launcher is 100% up to you, its really pointless in 0.0. 2x 200mm AC's is enough to get on kill mails and your DPS is meh regardless.

You can also make arguements for point/scram or point/web in your mids. Depends on what your gonna be tackling and whos with you.
Comy 1
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2011-10-23 03:07:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Comy 1
Bootleg Whammers wrote:

Whats the point of being able to overheat a 24km point out to 35km (level 4 interceptors) if you can't even target that far.

I put either a polycarbon or a targetting subsystem rig and ALWAYS a ionic field projector rig on my stiletto. rocket launcher is 100% up to you, its really pointless in 0.0. 2x 200mm AC's is enough to get on kill mails and your DPS is meh regardless.

You can also make arguements for point/scram or point/web in your mids. Depends on what your gonna be tackling and whos with you.

You can lock up to 34.4km with standard squad bonuses, which is why I don't want to sacrifice speed and agility. Regarding dps output and killmail whoring, a stiletto that actually field some damage is great to take out bombers/enemy tacklers.

In the question over scram vs web, I really just prefer the scrambler because it totally shuts down the speed on the targets where it matters, like frigates, vagabonds, cynabal etc that can still travel quite fast with an overloaded MWD while affected by 1 web to kite away from your fleet and take you out.

As for rigs, I like having the extra survivability vs warrior 2s and mobility than being able to lock a target faster, but then I like active skirmish engagements rather than ganks.