These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Ammo selection and range

Author
Abigail Sagan
Skeleton Liberation Front
#1 - 2012-11-15 09:46:38 UTC
When you are selecting new ammo by right clicking the turret, it would be great if the ammo would be sorted according to their range and show that range before the ammo name (the first part might already happen). For example right clicking large laser turret icon might result in list like this:
- 035 km: Multifreq L
- 070 km: Standard L
- 126 km: Radio L

The benefits would of course be, that the somewhat inexperienced turret users could more likely select the right ammo to shoot at the desired target and the veterans don't have to cram so much info in their heads. The bad point is that the old war veterans won't get that much benefit from their years of EVE experience, because the new UI helps the new pilots shrink the experience difference, and we cannot train our memories by memorizing those very important numbers. The good outweighs the bad at least in my opinion, even though my memory could use lots more training.

However it isn't quite as simple as that though: It will need some options. One option to sort them according to Optimal range, one to sort them according to (Optimal+Falloff) and one to not show the range before the ammo name, since everyone won't like the numbers there. Maybe some other options too.
Me ofcourse
Association of Commonwealth Enterprises
Goonswarm Federation
#2 - 2012-11-16 02:41:55 UTC
sounds interesting, but the idea could be modified to be ammo type specific such as

1: lasers are sorted by Optimal range
2: hybrids are sorted by Optimal + falloff
3: projectiles are sorted by falloff

while missiles could be sorted by raw damage amount
Abigail Sagan
Skeleton Liberation Front
#3 - 2012-11-20 08:09:43 UTC
Me ofcourse wrote:
sounds interesting, but the idea could be modified to be ammo type specific such as

1: lasers are sorted by Optimal range
2: hybrids are sorted by Optimal + falloff
3: projectiles are sorted by falloff

while missiles could be sorted by raw damage amount

The default ranges you suggest might work our okay in most cases - maybe all - I would not know, since I am still inexperienced gun turret user. I hope that people with more experience with turrets continue to refine the idea, so that the new gun turret users like me will have easier time learning to use them. So, refine away. :)

I cannot tell if there is a need for something similar with missiles; I seem to be able to use them just fine for my purposes because unlike gun turrets, I don't lack experience with missiles.