These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Reactive Armor Hardeners anyone who uses em?

Author
Garia666
CyberShield Inc
HYDRA RELOADED
#1 - 2012-11-13 17:54:46 UTC
I would like to know if you use them and for what?
I have to see a single kill mails with one fitted..

Syrias Bizniz
some random local shitlords
#2 - 2012-11-13 17:58:15 UTC
Their Capuse is tremendous. So only bigger hulls like Battleship and above can even consider fitting one of those. I can imagine seeing one on a SuperCapital, it doesn't stack with the other Hardeners and has stacking pen with the damage control. Also, you are taking quite a beating in an Aeon for example before you die. So here this thing has the chance to start working properly and adjusting your resistances as needed. But a A-Type EANM is probably still better.

Also, this module is fairly small - but requires a big chunk of minerals. It has one of the highest (the highsest?) ore compression rate ingame. So you could fill a JF with those and reprocess at the destination so you don't have to fly 90 times the same route.
Noisrevbus
#3 - 2012-11-13 18:04:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Noisrevbus
Garia666 wrote:
I would like to know if you use them and for what?
I have to see a single kill mails with one fitted..

They are for tanking a steady amount of damage over a prolonged time.

Since the nature of damage in PvP can generally be described as bursty, they become less appealing there overall.

In those PvP situations, where you could use them, they are also limited to specific scenarios: scenarios where you presume to out-tank your opponent. The problem with those scenarios is that they are both uncommon in today's number-gank oriented game and in the situations where it could apply there are other superior options (eg., smaller scale fights with heavy resources; where it's more common to use capital refitting to achieve similar goals with better effect).

To put it short, but in complicated terms:
Most PvP-fights today do not have a zero-casualty-vision, instead, they operate by extending life-expectancy (measured in time). So they are all about surviving long enough to make differences, whereas the module is based around the concept of surviving long enough for the module to kick in and save you, period.
Paikis
Vapour Holdings
#4 - 2012-11-13 18:21:45 UTC
They are somewhat useful in PvE, specifically level 4 missions.

They are not very good though. You have to either wait a loooong time for them to adapt, or they'll suck your cap dry*.

*may be a minor exaggeration.
Nalha Saldana
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2012-11-13 18:45:36 UTC
If I remember correctly they will change more % per cycle in Retribution.
Lord Calus
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2012-11-13 19:27:19 UTC
They are still a hilariously bad module to use.

They do not adapt fast enough.
They use more cap than a large rep.
The skill that "buffs" them makes them suck down cap even faster.
The nature of armour tanking being broken makes them not as useful.
The ASB being totally overpowered makes them extinct.
There are very few scenarios that they excel where a T2 EANM would not do better.

The only benefit:

They only stack against a DCU.
Garia666
CyberShield Inc
HYDRA RELOADED
#7 - 2012-11-13 19:28:02 UTC
thanks guys i was thinking putting one on a pilgrim as most opf the times you solo a target and there for had time to adjust ..
Lord Calus
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2012-11-13 19:28:45 UTC
Never not shield tank a pilgrim.
Aralieus
Shadowbane Syndicate
#9 - 2012-11-13 19:29:28 UTC
I used it on every ship I can pilot cruiser and up on Bucky test server and tbh it's crap in it's current state. It needs revised from the ground up or it will be another unused module to add to the pile.

Oderint Dum Metuant

Hatsumi Kobayashi
Perkone
Caldari State
#10 - 2012-11-13 19:49:58 UTC
Brick tanked T3s, command ships, battleships benefit from it a lot due to their larger capacitor pool and the way the module stacks, as well as capitals and supercapitals. For those ships it'll perform as a 3rd stacked T2 EANM in a worst case scenario, and an extra specific hardener in the best scenario. If you are fitting six or seven slots for an armor tank to PvP in large scale fleets, it's worth considering.

You have to keep mind that most fleets in 0.0 are uniform and no one is really going to swap ammo types in the middle of shooting a target just to circumvent the RAH's adaptation so the chance that the "worst case scenario" happens is very very low.

No sig.

Mirel Dystoph
Perkone
Caldari State
#11 - 2012-11-13 19:55:35 UTC
The RAH is the single best tank mod on a super.

"Nothing essential happens in the absence of noise." 

Hatsumi Kobayashi
Perkone
Caldari State
#12 - 2012-11-13 20:00:10 UTC
Mirel Dystoph wrote:

Not many people have caught on, everyone just assumes it's **** by reputation.

No sig.

Perihelion Olenard
#13 - 2012-11-13 21:51:17 UTC
I use it on my mission dominix. I managed to free up a low slot by using it, and with it I fit another damage module.
Jack Miton
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#14 - 2012-11-13 22:03:40 UTC
Only thing ive heard them to be theoretically useful on are supers.
we'll see how they look post December i guess.

There is no Bob.

Stuck In Here With Me:  http://sihwm.blogspot.com.au/

Down the Pipe:  http://feeds.feedburner.com/CloakyScout

nahjustwarpin
SUPER DUPER SPACE TRUCKS
#15 - 2012-11-13 23:23:31 UTC
have one on my ishtar. not bad, but why didn't armor tankers didn't get such overpowered module like asb Cry
Robert Lefcourt
BigPoppaMonkeys
E.B.O.L.A.
#16 - 2012-11-14 14:45:22 UTC
Lord Calus wrote:
They are still a hilariously bad module to use.
They use more cap than a large rep.

Way off. They take 10 times less cap than a large rep.

Lord Calus wrote:
The skill that "buffs" them makes them suck down cap even faster.

That is fixed in Retribution. The skill will also make it use 5% less cap for each level. The adaption rate will be at 6% a cycle instead of 3.

regards,

rob
Aralieus
Shadowbane Syndicate
#17 - 2012-11-14 19:08:13 UTC
Hatsumi Kobayashi wrote:
Mirel Dystoph wrote:

Not many people have caught on, everyone just assumes it's **** by reputation.

Its crap by reputation for a reason, it might work well on Scaps but let's be honest here...most ppl don't fly scaps so to say the module is good cause it works on 1 class of ships isn't very accurate. Also because a ship can handle the capacitor price the module costs doesn't make it good either, it was designed to offer resists where they were needed on a gradual basis...it does this rather poorly making the module altogether undesireable in most circumstances when compared to the alternatives available. My thoughts on how to fix it would be to make the cycle time 50% of what it is now and increase the resists.

Oderint Dum Metuant

Lin-Young Borovskova
Doomheim
#18 - 2012-11-14 19:16:03 UTC
Robert Lefcourt wrote:
That is fixed in Retribution. The skill will also make it use 5% less cap for each level. The adaption rate will be at 6% a cycle instead of 3

For sure better than current version but that cap cost even with -25% with lvl5 skill (seriously?) it's still not an useful mod for lower ship sizes while asb's on the other hand, are without an ounce of doubt.

brb

Gypsio III
Questionable Ethics.
Ministry of Inappropriate Footwork
#19 - 2012-11-14 22:57:37 UTC
Lin-Young Borovskova wrote:

For sure better than current version but that cap cost even with -25% with lvl5 skill (seriously?) it's still not an useful mod for lower ship sizes while asb's on the other hand, are without an ounce of doubt.

That's the really crazy thing about RAHs and ASBs, it's as if they were deliberately designed to accentuate the tanking imbalances. ASBs skewed solo/small-gang even further towards shield, while RAHs have skewed capital tanking even further towards armour. Crazy. What?
Perihelion Olenard
#20 - 2012-11-15 01:40:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Perihelion Olenard
Well, the RAH does allow a person to free up a low slot in missions when facing one or two damage types. It may provide 30% to each instead of 55% before penalties per hardener, but it's nice to get some extra damage out of that freed slot. It'll be nice to get the reduced cap use and extra adaptation speed in the next expansion. It's not a complete waste.

It truly becomes a waste of cap when facing three or more damage types, at least for the tech 1. I want the tech 2 module. At least it shares a penalty with the damage control instead of other resistance modules.
12Next page