These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

AFK Cloaking Solution - From A Pro-AFK Cloaking Pilot

First post
Author
Mag's
Azn Empire
#81 - 2012-11-14 19:06:51 UTC
Wulfy Johnson wrote:
Mag's wrote:
No one with any sense of balance would want local simply removed.

Answer the question. What game mechanic are they using, to interact with you whilst AFK?

For one, they aint interacting, two login screen.. does that help you? you are still avoiding the imbalance in the module with goating.

im not here to wage the war against "afk`ers", as that is not my goal, i`d like balance so cloackers can be hunted as anything else floating in space. if its afk its lost, like everything else floating afk in space is lost.. balance.
If they are not interacting, how do the people in the system know they are there?

Two login screen? What?

Cloakers can already be hunted. But to nerf cloaks without also nerfing local's easy mode intel, wouldn't be a balanced approach.

I'm also not avoiding anything, as it's your claim cloaks are not balanced. I'm waiting for facts to back that up.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Mag's
Azn Empire
#82 - 2012-11-14 19:19:20 UTC
Undeadenemy wrote:

You probably either didn't read or didn't comprehend what I wrote in the OP:

Nothing about this nerfs cloaking, cloaking stays exactly the same.

CovOps would not be useless in Null simply because a Sov Upgrade exists that can disable cloaking altogether. The prohibitive expense will prevent it from being deployed over the vast majority of null, save for a few select systems. If I were suggesting a cheap upgrade, I could understand your concern, but I'm not and I can't.
They, like myself, did read the OP and it is a nerf to cloaks. In fact it's the ultimate nerf, as it stops them working completely. It's rather disingenuous to claim otherwise.

Not only that, but local's intel becomes OP. Thus meaning almost total safety.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Konrad Kane
#83 - 2012-11-14 21:25:53 UTC
Mag's wrote:
Undeadenemy wrote:

CovOps would not be useless in Null simply because a Sov Upgrade exists that can disable cloaking altogether. The prohibitive expense will prevent it from being deployed over the vast majority of null, save for a few select systems. If I were suggesting a cheap upgrade, I could understand your concern, but I'm not and I can't.
They, like myself, did read the OP and it is a nerf to cloaks. In fact it's the ultimate nerf, as it stops them working completely. It's rather disingenuous to claim otherwise.

It would be deployed in the systems where ships are at greatest risk, making a high sec pocket in null sec.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#84 - 2012-11-14 21:35:33 UTC
Konrad Kane wrote:
Mag's wrote:
Undeadenemy wrote:

It would be deployed in the systems where ships are at greatest risk, making a high sec pocket in null sec.

You don't give enough credit here.

You can't shoot preemptively in high sec, and gate camps with no cloaking become kill zones more than ever before.

It is like high sec with an effective war dec against anyone you don't like.
Zyella Stormborn
Green Seekers
#85 - 2012-11-14 22:25:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Zyella Stormborn
Undeadenemy wrote:
TehCloud wrote:
There is no Issue: You can still do your sites/mine the crap out of an asteroid belt - Just because you don't dare to do so isn't a reason to nerf cloaking.

There is nothing here that nerfs cloaking.

You say there is nothing here that nerfs cloaking, yet you want the ability to:

Effect:

The Cloak Jamming Array prohibits the usage of ANY cloaking devices in system, as long as it is online. That means FRIENDLY and ENEMY. If an alliance decides to install this module, NO ONE will be able to cloak in the system.

Call it friendly / enemy all you want... the ability to completely REMOVE cloaking in the entire system strikes me soundly as a nerf. Shocked

Also: They would simply put it in bottle neck systems, forcing you to have to try and travel through with no cloak whatsoever. Making their back water systems even safer than they already are!

I don't see a way to make this functional and not overly exploitable. It would simply remove cloaking from viable play in all important target, and bottleneck systems of SOV.

There is a special Hell for people like that, Right next to child molestors, and people that talk in the theater. ~Firefly

Mole Guy
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#86 - 2012-11-15 01:08:29 UTC
see, im not for nerfing anything.

but, for every device, there should be a counter to it. 1 counter is, you cant do anything cloaked.
yeah yeah..i get the same thing when i fly cloaked.

but, i am suggesting a system wide pulse (on poseS), or smaller units to destabilize a cloak like a scram does a warp bubble.

a simple pulse goes out and uncloaks everyone within range (yes, the ships have range limits). you can recloak afterwards, but if you arent there to cloak back up, you can be hunted down.

give it a time limit. once an hour for ships maybe. or for both.

i like cloaks too, but there must be a way to hunt cloakers besides catching them at a gate. maybe a skill and module that tracks "exhaust" or whatever...we can turn the module on and fly to each belt or planet and take a reading. % chance to work...
something.

cloaking is fine, but afk cloaking isnt. this is a "social" game, not a turn it on and walk away and disrupt everyone in system (even though its a great tactic before invasion). there needs to be a way to decloak even for a second.
Zyella Stormborn
Green Seekers
#87 - 2012-11-15 01:33:40 UTC
Mole Guy wrote:
see, im not for nerfing anything.

but, for every device, there should be a counter to it. 1 counter is, you cant do anything cloaked.
yeah yeah..i get the same thing when i fly cloaked.

but, i am suggesting a system wide pulse (on poseS), or smaller units to destabilize a cloak like a scram does a warp bubble.

a simple pulse goes out and uncloaks everyone within range (yes, the ships have range limits). you can recloak afterwards, but if you arent there to cloak back up, you can be hunted down.

give it a time limit. once an hour for ships maybe. or for both.

i like cloaks too, but there must be a way to hunt cloakers besides catching them at a gate. maybe a skill and module that tracks "exhaust" or whatever...we can turn the module on and fly to each belt or planet and take a reading. % chance to work...
something.

cloaking is fine, but afk cloaking isnt. this is a "social" game, not a turn it on and walk away and disrupt everyone in system (even though its a great tactic before invasion). there needs to be a way to decloak even for a second.

You say you don't want it nerfed, then say you want a nerf (the ability to break the cloak = a nerf compared to how it stands now)

Please don't call it what its not. Saying afk cloaking interrupts it being a 'social' game is no where near the truth. It does not stop anyone from talking, pve'ing together, pvp'ing together, etc. Null space, in particular further in past the bottlenecks, is in many ways safer than high sec could ever be. And it has the hands down ultimate unbeatable / uncounterable alarm system .... big flashy colored names in local.

The second that non friendly name pops up in local, everyone simply takes their multi-billion isk ratting and mining toys, POS's them up, grabs their pvp boats and their probes, and immediately holds a hunt to remove the 1 person in the system that has just magically stopped all of their no risk playing.

AFK cloaking can be a pain in the ass, its true. It is also SUPPOSED to. You also do not KNOW if he is afk. You know what else? Being that its a cloaked ship, you should not know he is in system at all. I do not see you asking for a nerf to that ability (local giving away presence).

This is almost never complained about in Low sec. Reason? SOV protection does not exist in low sec as it does in Null. It is also never complained about in WH. Reason? No local at all (I am not saying this is a solution for Null, as many do. I do think there is merit in to looking at options for it however).

This really only comes into play for null sec areas where people are pve'ing. And I am sorry, but the very last thing nullsec needs atm is LESS danger in their deeper systems. They need more in my book. NPC's that attack stations, Mini-incursion fleets to come through, etc. It should be as dangerous as they like to describe it in their books. Not even less so, by removing the inconvenience of a name you can't hunt down being up in local.

~Just my view.

There is a special Hell for people like that, Right next to child molestors, and people that talk in the theater. ~Firefly

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#88 - 2012-11-15 02:48:29 UTC
The answer is not to advocate for a one sided solution, but a balanced answer that embraces the reason why AFK cloaking exists to begin with.

Never forget, this tactic of AFK cloaking evolved as a response to local chat's flawless intel reporting.

It is unreasonable to expect something as powerful as local chat's intel to not have a counter-force balancing it.

So long as local flawlessly reports cloaked vessels, it is not balanced to add ways to hunt cloaked vessels.
Mole Guy
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#89 - 2012-11-15 05:38:43 UTC
Zyella Stormborn wrote:

You say you don't want it nerfed, then say you want a nerf (the ability to break the cloak = a nerf compared to how it stands now)

Please don't call it what its not. Saying afk cloaking interrupts it being a 'social' game is no where near the truth. It does not stop anyone from talking, pve'ing together, pvp'ing together, etc. Null space, in particular further in past the bottlenecks, is in many ways safer than high sec could ever be. And it has the hands down ultimate unbeatable / uncounterable alarm system .... big flashy colored names in local.

The second that non friendly name pops up in local, everyone simply takes their multi-billion isk ratting and mining toys, POS's them up, grabs their pvp boats and their probes, and immediately holds a hunt to remove the 1 person in the system that has just magically stopped all of their no risk playing.

AFK cloaking can be a pain in the ass, its true. It is also SUPPOSED to. You also do not KNOW if he is afk. You know what else? Being that its a cloaked ship, you should not know he is in system at all. I do not see you asking for a nerf to that ability (local giving away presence).

This is almost never complained about in Low sec. Reason? SOV protection does not exist in low sec as it does in Null. It is also never complained about in WH. Reason? No local at all (I am not saying this is a solution for Null, as many do. I do think there is merit in to looking at options for it however).

This really only comes into play for null sec areas where people are pve'ing. And I am sorry, but the very last thing nullsec needs atm is LESS danger in their deeper systems. They need more in my book. NPC's that attack stations, Mini-incursion fleets to come through, etc. It should be as dangerous as they like to describe it in their books. Not even less so, by removing the inconvenience of a name you can't hunt down being up in local.

~Just my view.

the moment someone shows up in local? what if they sit their alt there for 7 days? 14 days? which happened to us in providence.

we tried to pvp him, but he wasnt on. his alt was on 20+ hours a day. we even tried to bait him by leaving a solo miner and everyone else stayed in another system within jump range. for hours. they all got bored. 3 days later, he finally decided to strike.

as i stated, its a great tactic. just leave an alt in a system for several days, pop a cyno and hot drop with an aeon. 1 guy, 6 alts over several system...it worked well. but checks and balances...cloaking is a powerful tool. it can cause folks to evacuate a system. there goes mining and combat upgrades. there goes money making. thats too much. thats power beyond belief.

if you wanna be cloaked in a system, be cloaked in a system. dont log your character in and cloak and go to work. come pvp, dont hide until someone is in a defenseless ship and jump em.
or
give us the ability to disrupt your cloak if only for a moment. then, if yer not on, we will hunt you down and give u a ride back to the station. if yer on, you will be able to cloak right up before anyone begins to get a probe on u.

you said " the second someone pops up in local we park our multi-billion isk ships and hunt him down. thats farthest form the truth. these guys log in, then leave. we show up and sit there. probing reveals nothing. and then they leave them there cloaked for weeks.

that tactic is WAY over powered if u cant agree with that, then i dont know what to say.
Konrad Kane
#90 - 2012-11-15 06:32:20 UTC
Mole Guy wrote:
Zyella Stormborn wrote:

~Just my view.

the moment someone shows up in local? what if they sit their alt there for 7 days? 14 days? which happened to us in providence.

we tried to pvp him, but he wasnt on. his alt was on 20+ hours a day. we even tried to bait him by leaving a solo miner and everyone else stayed in another system within jump range. for hours. they all got bored. 3 days later, he finally decided to strike.

as i stated, its a great tactic. just leave an alt in a system for several days, pop a cyno and hot drop with an aeon. 1 guy, 6 alts over several system...it worked well. but checks and balances...cloaking is a powerful tool. it can cause folks to evacuate a system. there goes mining and combat upgrades. there goes money making. thats too much. thats power beyond belief.

if you wanna be cloaked in a system, be cloaked in a system. dont log your character in and cloak and go to work. come pvp, dont hide until someone is in a defenseless ship and jump em.
or
give us the ability to disrupt your cloak if only for a moment. then, if yer not on, we will hunt you down and give u a ride back to the station. if yer on, you will be able to cloak right up before anyone begins to get a probe on u.

you said " the second someone pops up in local we park our multi-billion isk ships and hunt him down. thats farthest form the truth. these guys log in, then leave. we show up and sit there. probing reveals nothing. and then they leave them there cloaked for weeks.

that tactic is WAY over powered if u cant agree with that, then i dont know what to say.

There is already a counter to hotdropping in sov held space. Null sec isn't meant to be safe, if having a standing defence fleet if you are going to allow cynos in system is too much effort you' re in the wrong type of space. You already have home field advantage.
Zyella Stormborn
Green Seekers
#91 - 2012-11-15 07:25:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Zyella Stormborn
Mole Guy wrote:

or

In Providence, you are in 0.0 space. Which goes to the above null space argument. The problem stands, you want local to tell you weather you are safe or not. THAT is the over powered mechanic. There is no counter to it, other than afk cloaking. Period. You can not interrupt weather or not you show up in local. You can not change your color to look like an ally (other than maybe trying some long round about spycraft betrayal system). You can not hide yourself from everyone in system knowing you are there.

You say my quote is the farthest from the truth, yet you say in the same paragraph that you and your friends immediately tried to hunt them down. Probing, etc. They waited 3 days before choosing to strike. Why you ask? Simple, because it is the only way to counter local simply telling you when you are not safe in Null Sec. What else could you be doing in there, if not pve'ing? There obviously was no other enemies around if you went through all that trouble just for 1 name.

THAT tactic, is WAY over powered. If you can not agree with that, then I don't know what to say. ;)

Last year one of the larger alliances were paying people from outside their alliance who could fly cloaking ships a good amount of isk on a delayed payment, for reliable intel in several systems that they wanted to attack. I made a deal with my son and nephew, and we proceeded to sneak around one of the listed systems for a little over 6 days. The character was logged in 24 hours a day, and we took rotating shifts, writing down when regular names logged off / on, what ships we were able to identify coming through system at what time, etc.

We never interacted with anyone, although we were flying around, gathering intel most (maybe 80%) of the time. We were paid VERY well for doing this after the attack happened. We were rarely AFK.

What you are asking for is not about AFK cloaking. It is about not feeling secure in Null Sec space when there is a non friendly name around that you can not chase away. Cloaking is the ONLY way to keep people guessing about weather it is safe or not ... in Null Sec, and THAT is something that needs to be worked on. Providence has a decent reputation as the 'newer' Null sec players place to learn and develop their skills, but it is still 0.0 space, and should be more dangerous than other space, not less.

---Local in High Sec is next to useless because there are always so many people around. More paranoia because of this.
---Low Sec Cloakers AFK or there for a long time does not change anything, because in low sec people tend to be paranoid all the time.
---WH space Cloakers AFK are laughed at. WH space is CONSTANT D-scan paranoia.
---0.0 Space, what is supposed to be the 'end game' scary danger zone, is safer in many ways to High sec simply because you can have a policy of 'If it isn't blue / purple, kill it'. Local names popping up makes that too easy.

WH space is the one place I have had very limited experiences in. But out of all of them, in order of paranoia / getting ganked it was WH / High Sec / Low Sec (in low sec you know its coming, and are looking for it most of the time) / 0.0.

You can disagree (that is the best part of these forums, after all Smile ), but from the few responses I have already seen from Devs, and the mass majority of responses I have seen from other players, I am predicting the current cloaking mechanic is not going anywhere until or if they look into the Local Chat mechanic for options on things they can do that will not break the game, but still help limit the current Unbeatable Intel system.

~Z

Azrael Dinn
Imperial Mechanics
#92 - 2012-11-15 13:34:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Azrael Dinn
TheGunslinger42 wrote:
If you want a rather simple solution, we could just make cloaked ships disappear from the local list.

There'd be no afk cloaking as it wouldn't be needed/able to introduce doubt regarding the local list.

Sorted, right?

No, also there should be a way to find a cloaked ship in the game. Even if it would be nearly impossible.

And you just want easy kills and it starts to seem that you don't know any other form of warfare than hiding and backstabbing.
Stop posting or some post something new and constructive, your comments are getting old and are always the same.

After centuries of debating and justifying... Break Cloaks tm

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#93 - 2012-11-15 14:35:02 UTC
Mole Guy wrote:

You used a defective intel tool for HOW long?

At what point do you admit something is broken, and replace it?

ALWAYS assume that hostile forces are willing and able to attack on short notice.
The FACT that you were unwilling to act under these circumstances, is a clear indicator that you managed to create a comfort level free of hostile forces for far too long.

The "AFK Cloaker" you described did you a service, showing you how your flawless intel tool could be so easily turned against you.
Consider this:
It does not show an opponent with hostile intent. You assume the rest.
It does not show an opponent about to attack. You assume the rest.
It does not show an opponent with a fleet ready to jump into system. You assume the rest.
It just shows a list of pilots in system, with the intent of knowing who is capable of seeing items entered into the CHAT WINDOW.

So, as Mag's would say: How are they interacting with you if they are AFK?
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#94 - 2012-11-15 14:43:56 UTC
Azrael Dinn wrote:
TheGunslinger42 wrote:
If you want a rather simple solution, we could just make cloaked ships disappear from the local list.

There'd be no afk cloaking as it wouldn't be needed/able to introduce doubt regarding the local list.

Sorted, right?

No, also there should be a way to find a cloaked ship in the game. Even if it would be nearly impossible.

And you just want easy kills and it starts to seem that you don't know any other form of warfare than hiding and backstabbing.
Stop posting or some post something new and constructive, your comments are getting old and are always the same.

Actually, as many have stated on these forums, the balance conditions for hunting cloaks IS not having them show up in local.

It simply needs to reflect actual player effort, not glancing at the chat channel roster, to first become aware there is a cloaked ship present to BE hunted.

It simply unbalances the game if you know they are present with no effort, AND be able to hunt them too.
Mag's
Azn Empire
#95 - 2012-11-15 17:39:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Mag's
I'd add more, but Nikk has already said it all eloquently.

Mole Guy
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#96 - 2012-11-15 19:10:01 UTC
i agree with you on the local issue. never once did i say i wanted to keep local.
if it was like wh space where local was only those who transmitted, i would be happy with that assuming we could pulse to decloak someone if only for a few seconds.

thats like testing the water before you jump in. im not going to blindly jump in where there could be sharks. we will scout around and look first. make sounds that scare them (insert applicable senario here).

im for making it real. i would equip a pulse machine on a ship and jump in it from time to time to see if we have any cloakers about. if they sneak up on me and get me....my bad. but we need a way, if only for a second, to see if they r around.

thats all i am saying
Mag's
Azn Empire
#97 - 2012-11-15 19:39:28 UTC
Mole Guy wrote:
i agree with you on the local issue. never once did i say i wanted to keep local.
if it was like wh space where local was only those who transmitted, i would be happy with that assuming we could pulse to decloak someone if only for a few seconds.

thats like testing the water before you jump in. im not going to blindly jump in where there could be sharks. we will scout around and look first. make sounds that scare them (insert applicable senario here).

im for making it real. i would equip a pulse machine on a ship and jump in it from time to time to see if we have any cloakers about. if they sneak up on me and get me....my bad. but we need a way, if only for a second, to see if they r around.

thats all i am saying
You cannot simply remove local, or change it to act as it does in wh space. It's not that easy and is why CCP have had such a hard time, coming up with a change.

Any decloaking pulse mod fitted, would have to have limited range and also limited use around stargates etc. Plus any changes would need to take wh space into account, as dwellers there like it as it is.

Vanir Tsero
Bloodhusk
Desolate.
#98 - 2012-11-15 19:57:18 UTC
Wait wait...

Let me get this right...

The problem lies with a pilot who has gone afk while cloaked and is absolutely no threat to anyone due to not actually being at keyboard.

I'm sorry, I simply do not see an argument here.

If they are "afk" cloaked, then they are of no threat. Why change an entire mechanic of eve because you are "scared" to undock because of a single individual in space?

What is the difference between that and logging in to see a war target in system? They both have the exact same effect whether cloaked or not.

Sure, you can form a fleet and probe down the war target.
And for the AFK Cloaky, you can form a fleet and go about your ratting and missions.

I'm sorry, but those of you who say that afk cloaking is an issue, you should head back to high sec and mine veldspar or run missions. Leave nullsec to those of us with a backbone who don't mind ratting with a neutral in local.
Crimeo Khamsi
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#99 - 2012-11-15 20:36:52 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:

2. It still does not address why people afk-cloak to begin with. It's local. As soon as someone enters system all the locals see "non-blues" in system and warp their ships off to safety... leaving any small gang without any viable targets. As soon as that small gang is gone or cleared out everything goes back to normal.

This. You should NEVER know if there's a cloaked person in your system, because you shouldn't have magical local chat information in the first place If you can't even see the dude from like... ten miles away, then how do your sensors somehow know exactly who he is and his affiliation and a picture of his face as soon as he enters the system?

Without local, nobody would AKF-cloak, because every system owner would rightfully already have to be paranoid about possible cloaked ships in their system at ANY given time.
Spr09
Reign of Steel
Brave Collective
#100 - 2012-11-15 21:27:57 UTC
Sean Parisi wrote:
Undeadenemy wrote:
Sean Parisi wrote:
The Issue:

There isn't an issue with AFK cloakers - There is not issue, so why do we harp on this topic?.

The only counter needed is the ability for people to lift themselves up by the boots and fire back.

I believe there is an issue, but its more involved that "fire back." The issue, is that there is no counter to the act of sitting idle in space. My solution is to make it to where NO ONE can cloak in a system, and make receiving that ability expensive. If there were no issue, we wouldn't see people complain about it so much. Personally, I rarely, if ever, rat or mine, so the issue doesn't affect me. In fact, I might have an alt in someones system right now, playing games with their mind.

There is an issue, though, otherwise, we wouldn't be going back and forth about it for years like we have. Also, you cannot fire back at what doesn't engage you. You might respond by saying "if it doesn't engage then there is not threat, but there is a threat. The threat is the possibility that it might engage you, and there really is nothing else you can do but wait for that to happen.

And in doing so you completely remove a valid play style from the game. Where in its essence its entire purpose IS to act as a PSYOP. The best way to counter cloak's is by having a combat contingent. The counter is to out think your enemy and force them to reveal themselves or to prevent them from engaging.

Cloaking ships are relatively week unless picking on targets of opportunity or working in groups. I respect your opinion on the subject and by all means post away. But I personally do not think that stopping people from cloaking is a good way for the game to go. There is an easy and simple counter to them - the problem is most people just cant see it. Anyways, I'm going to sleep; cheers.

I hardly think sitting afk and coming back every half hour counts as a "valid play style." And your point is completely false about cloakies being weak, cloaking tech 3 ships are extremely powerful, all 4 of them can warp while cloaked, use E-War modules effectively, and easily maneuver out unscathed.