These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Issues, Workarounds & Localization

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Drones

First post
Author
Vaako Horizon
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#101 - 2011-10-12 18:25:42 UTC
Svaste wrote:
"But enough talk from me. We all know that much quoted phrase, “It’s not what you say, it’s what you do,” that will make the difference here. From now on, CCP will focus on doing what we say and saying what we do. That is the path to restoring trust and moving forward." -Hilmar

Show us that these are not just words.

1. Explain why CCP chose to break drones. What functionality did we gain for what we lost?
2. Examine the drone-breaking code added with Incarna and revert it back to the less broken code before Incarna.
3. At the very least, take the time to read this thread, the threads from the old forums and the bug reports and don't ask us to re-type information already given.
4. Post something. The lack of communication on this issue is unacceptable.

Its ccp... they wont fix drones.... they cant even take the time to enter live server and see what the issue is...
Phoebus ApolloX
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#102 - 2011-10-14 02:18:09 UTC
This problem has been driving me mental, fix this please.
Gefgarion Ankatar
The Bloody Dogs of War
#103 - 2011-10-14 12:03:38 UTC
Same issues with drones as everyone else. (Among numerous other issues that showed up with Incarna)

It would be nice if some of the Devs actually spent some time on the live server and then put in some effort to fix these problems. I've given up on trying to file petitions and reports as it is becoming obvious they dont want to actually attempt to do anything useful.
Vaako Horizon
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#104 - 2011-10-16 18:18:07 UTC
CCP Greyscale wrote:
Just spent an hour poking at this and totally failing to get a reproduction for drones switching targets. Tried with Hammerheads, Gardes and Ogres, tried issuing target orders just before, just after, and a second after the target died, and even tried hacking the Ogres to have a10s RoF to see if that'd help. In all cases they're working as advertised (focus fire and aggressive).

Obviously this problem is still happening in the wild, but it doesn't seem to be reproducing on our internal test servers which makes it somewhat difficult to track down. I'll try and give it another poke later in the week and see if I can find anything more, but right now I don't have a whole lot to go on :(

Still alive over there Greyscale?
Vaako Horizon
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#105 - 2011-10-18 12:05:36 UTC
Vaako Horizon wrote:
CCP Greyscale wrote:
Just spent an hour poking at this and totally failing to get a reproduction for drones switching targets. Tried with Hammerheads, Gardes and Ogres, tried issuing target orders just before, just after, and a second after the target died, and even tried hacking the Ogres to have a10s RoF to see if that'd help. In all cases they're working as advertised (focus fire and aggressive).

Obviously this problem is still happening in the wild, but it doesn't seem to be reproducing on our internal test servers which makes it somewhat difficult to track down. I'll try and give it another poke later in the week and see if I can find anything more, but right now I don't have a whole lot to go on :(

Still alive over there Greyscale?

Any GM/DEV out there that wanna throw a poke to greyscale for me?
CCP Greyscale
C C P
C C P Alliance
#106 - 2011-10-18 13:29:16 UTC
Was at a conference all last week, sorry.
CCP Affinity
C C P
C C P Alliance
#107 - 2011-10-18 13:36:04 UTC
I am going to look into this further today, I will update this thread with more information as soon as I have it.

♥ CCP Affinity ♥

Follow me on Twitter

Game Designer for EVE Online

Team Astro Sparkle

Shuckstar
Blue Dreams Plus
#108 - 2011-10-18 13:56:39 UTC
CCP Affinity wrote:
I am going to look into this further today, I will update this thread with more information as soon as I have it.

Pls watch the fraps and read whole thread all you need to know is in here, you just gotta do the hard bit and try fix it......

CCP Greyscale wrote:"OK, I've read every post up to page 200, and we're getting to a point in this thread where there's not a lot of new concerns or suggestions being brought up. There will be future threads (and future blogs) as we tune details, but for now I want to thank you for all of your constructive input, and wish you a good weekend :)"

CCP Affinity
C C P
C C P Alliance
#109 - 2011-10-18 14:23:42 UTC
Shuckstar wrote:
CCP Affinity wrote:

Pls watch the fraps and read whole thread all you need to know is in here, you just gotta do the hard bit and try fix it......

I have done already :) We are working on this and I will keep you updated

♥ CCP Affinity ♥

Follow me on Twitter

Team Astro Sparkle

Vaako Horizon
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#110 - 2011-10-18 15:23:29 UTC
CCP Affinity wrote:
Shuckstar wrote:
CCP Affinity wrote:

I have done already :) We are working on this and I will keep you updated

Please do that ( you ccp'ers have said that before and nothing ever happened... )
And I am not talking about in a few weeks time but as you get the info... regardless if its only an "oh, there the problem is, now we can work towards a fix"
Vaako Horizon
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#111 - 2011-10-19 19:52:51 UTC
Cant help but notice the silence....

I suspect both Greyscale and Affinity have "forgotten" ( read ignored ) to actually bother trying to find out :P
Like doing WiS stuff instead...
CCP Affinity
C C P
C C P Alliance
#112 - 2011-10-20 11:29:14 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Affinity
Vaako Horizon wrote:

I suspect both Greyscale and Affinity have "forgotten" ( read ignored ) to actually bother trying to find out :P

I am on it... please just understand we have been through a very difficult time.

Team BFF are working on defects for these issues, they are *not* by design and we are investigating the causes.

♥ CCP Affinity ♥

Follow me on Twitter

Team Astro Sparkle

Renan Ruivo
Forcas armadas
Brave Collective
#113 - 2011-10-20 11:38:34 UTC
CCP Affinity wrote:
Vaako Horizon wrote:

I am on it... please just understand we have been through a very difficult time.

Team BFF are working on defects for these issues, they are *not* by design and we are investigating the causes.

I think the problem lies in a particular portion of the drone AI code. I'm not sure its exactly like this, but apparently it takes 3 to 4 seconds after the target is destroyed for the drones to enter idle mode (if its on passive) or to switch targets (if its agressive). And if i give a command to the drone before it properly changes state it will acknowlodge my command then change to whatever state it was meant to be.

Is it something like this?

Drones shooting target A;
Target A is dead;
Target A is dead, changing state (idle/switch target)

So if i do this:

Drones shooting target A;
Target A is dead;
Player command for drones to shoot target B;
Drones shooting target B;
Target A is dead, changing state (idle/lock Target C)

It might be that the player gives a command to the drones before the drones themselves can realize what just happened, and then their AI kicks in. As if the player gives a new command to the drone before the drone can check to see if its previous target is dead.

The world is a community of idiots doing a series of things until it explodes and we all die.

Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#114 - 2011-10-20 12:14:59 UTC
Renan Ruivo wrote:

It might be that the player gives a command to the drones before the drones themselves can realize what just happened, and then their AI kicks in. As if the player gives a new command to the drone before the drone can check to see if its previous target is dead.

thats a much better way of describing:
Bienator II wrote:
@CCP Greyscale without knowing the code (obviously): this all sounds like a concurrency issue where the "receive player order" action isn't processed for all drones in a critical section. A race condition between game mechanics (agress next target) and the player action.

:)

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Renan Ruivo
Forcas armadas
Brave Collective
#115 - 2011-10-20 12:37:15 UTC
Bienator II wrote:
Renan Ruivo wrote:

thats a much better way of describing:
Bienator II wrote:
@CCP Greyscale without knowing the code (obviously): this all sounds like a concurrency issue where the "receive player order" action isn't processed for all drones in a critical section. A race condition between game mechanics (agress next target) and the player action.

:)

Not exactly. Were it merely a "race", the player action would supercede the game mechanics. As it is, if the player action is made before the game action, it will get ignored.

So basically if you want it to work without a hitch, you need to allow the game mechanics to win the race because you can never win it yourself.

The world is a community of idiots doing a series of things until it explodes and we all die.

Grey Stormshadow
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#116 - 2011-10-20 12:53:11 UTC
CCP Affinity wrote:
Vaako Horizon wrote:

Thanks

Get classic forum style - custom videos to captains quarters screen

Play with the best - die like the rest

Lord Okinaba
Aliastra
#117 - 2011-10-21 11:13:56 UTC
Why is this still not in the 'Known Issues' section?
Vaako Horizon
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#118 - 2011-10-21 11:32:39 UTC
CCP Affinity wrote:
Vaako Horizon wrote:

Well... atleast we got an answer to a question that has been out there for a long time... ( said "they are *not* by design" )
Now for the rest of the questions....
Tallian Saotome
Nuclear Arms Exchange Inc.
#119 - 2011-10-21 11:34:16 UTC
Rocky Deadshot wrote:
Look, I've used drone ships in lvl4s for a long time, and yes they are buggy and temperamental, but the issue is fairly minor if u assign your engage drones to a hotkey. Spam that about 100 times and they'll follow your commands. The only drones this wont work for is mining drones.

This is true, but do you think you should HAVE to spam it?

On second thought...

Inappropriate signature removed, CCP Phantom.

Vaako Horizon
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#120 - 2011-10-21 11:37:40 UTC
And in terms of understanding... I understand your position, now understand ours...
We are paying for a service... which is operating at less then 100% ( thats for me as a drone user ) and has been ignored for far to long. I am desperate for some results and looking at CCP track records as of late...
Sure you have done well the last 2-3 weeks but we still have only seen words not actions( content )