These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

DUST products

Author
Felicity Love
Doomheim
#1 - 2012-11-09 13:29:40 UTC
So I see DUST gear/equipment/stuff seeded to the Markets via the familiar NPC sell orders.

No BPO's, though... ?

I thought DUST was going to be a big opportunity for CCP to give EVE industry a boost ? Did I hope for too much ? Should I ragequit or impotently vent my spleen on some hapless monument ?

Roll

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Aziesta
Quantshure
#2 - 2012-11-09 13:54:07 UTC
I believe they said that it was all going to be NPC seeded for the near future, allowing them to see how much of a market impact it would have before releasing the blueprints. Also to avoid initial shortages.
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#3 - 2012-11-09 13:59:58 UTC
I believe, from some things that have been said, we're not going to be making their gear.

We're going to be making the feedstock for the nanites which will be making their gear on demand.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Celgar Thurn
Department 10
#4 - 2012-11-09 17:19:47 UTC
Hmmm. The NDA is still live but I think there will be limited opportunities for industrialists in EVE Online to provide items/materials for mercs in DUST 514. Certainly at launch there will probably be nothing at all as the main game FPS features will be the main focus. Later on I expect there will be some 'activity' but whether it will be worth bothering with is another matter entirely.

A while back some stuff was added without mention such as some additional mineral & gas types in nul sec and an additional line of production for Autotrophs to do with cloning technology in EVE Online. But the additional use for Autotrophs was removed a while back & I expect the Black Morphite and other gas types may have been removed as well?

With Militia gear and ammo in infinite supply I think they will have to leave the majority of the remaining industrial activity for the installations that will be built in the DUST districts otherwise there will be little point in the mercs spending the resources needed on that planetary infrastructure. That's how I see it playing out anyway.
Lucky Lukas
MCADL Investments
#5 - 2012-11-09 20:05:25 UTC
Well.. depending on what happens with a game or round of dusk I can see a group of 20 players burning thru equipment.

15 deaths per round average / player , so is that all gear destroyed on player death or does some survive? 300 units of body suits plus gear per round?

I have seen people go thru 20 tanks in a round of Modern warfare. Look at the kill amounts in a year of playing Modern warfare staggering...

I have not played the game but i think you could see a lot of equipment destroyed. If the death penalty is like EVE. They could make it very resource intense.

Souxie Alduin
Anarchy in the Eve
#6 - 2012-11-09 21:33:57 UTC
I just bought a BPO for orbital bombardment ammo and produced a small test batch. Success!
Mortimer Civeri
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2012-11-09 23:15:33 UTC
What I want to know is, when will Goons start glassing planets for the epic whine of the konsol kiddies?

"I don't know which is worse, ...that everyone has his price, or that the price is always so low." Calvin

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#8 - 2012-11-12 15:19:22 UTC
There are options between "No market" and a free market. For example CCP could release all the BPOs but keep the NPC sell orders up too. Just set the NPC orders fairly high. The players can undercut the NPCs if they wish and as they are able. But if they do not the Dusters will still have a source for their gear.

The NPC sell price would have to be carefully chosen to be high enough to entice industrialists, but not so high that is impedes Dust.

You cannot shoot a planet unless a Duster gives you a code, and then you only get to shoot the target designated by the Duster how gave you the code. I doubt many will be giving codes to goons other than Duster goons.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Alberik
Eusebius Corporation
#9 - 2012-11-12 16:31:31 UTC
I have no idea how Dust-items will blend in the current market.
Eve Markets are station based, where Dust is a planet based game. Could you imagine a dusteer (lets call all imps like that) going from outer rim to jita with his space-5-ton-truck, buying a crate of grenades and ammo-clips and than coming back to battle? doesnt make much sense. as mentioned before equipment is used up very fast in 3d-shooters and most people dont like to restock in action games.

there are different ways to get around this, one extreme is a galaxy wide market for dust items, the other extreme is a single market for every battlezone. i dont like neither. or you can make it like getting a stock before the battle and living from that. would be a little realistic.

Kara Books
Deal with IT.
#10 - 2012-11-12 19:54:23 UTC
Let them think about getting the games to work Perfectly first, the economy should not be the driving force but more of an opportunistic positive occurrence here and there, by accident.

The more people CCP gets to play eve and dust the better the economy, Its people, not items that make the economy.
TheSkeptic
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2012-11-13 09:06:52 UTC
Felicity Love wrote:
So I see DUST gear/equipment/stuff seeded to the Markets via the familiar NPC sell orders.

No BPO's, though... ?

I thought DUST was going to be a big opportunity for CCP to give EVE industry a boost ? Did I hope for too much ? Should I ragequit or impotently vent my spleen on some hapless monument ?

Roll

If they let EVE players control the supply of equipment straight away Dust would fail even before launch due to all the market warriors buying everything and relisting it for 10+ times it's price.

By having it NPC seeded to begin with, usage and demand metrics can be gathered without being affected by price. Also allows item prices to be adjusted and balanced as required without screwing eve industrialists.