These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

tractor beams?

Author
RaKuRa Combesa
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-11-09 20:17:26 UTC
Ok probably a noob question ..but I am noob sooooo.....

What is the deal with tractor beams...Why should I use a high power slot for that instead of, say another turret. The just save you time if you going to be salvaging, right? Do they have another function?

I am currently in a Radar site that I cannot kill the rats with my T1 destroyer ... can I use the tractor to pull the Radar site to me?
San Fransisco
Silver Falcon Survey
#2 - 2012-11-09 20:20:33 UTC
RaKuRa Combesa wrote:
Ok probably a noob question ..but I am noob sooooo.....

What is the deal with tractor beams...Why should I use a high power slot for that instead of, say another turret. The just save you time if you going to be salvaging, right? Do they have another function?

I am currently in a Radar site that I cannot kill the rats with my T1 destroyer ... can I use the tractor to pull the Radar site to me?

Tractor Beams will only work on Jet-Cans (jettisoned containers) and wrecks.

so no you cant pull the radar loot containers to you
Nerath Naaris
Pink Winged Unicorns for Peace Love and Anarchy
#3 - 2012-11-09 20:26:55 UTC
Tractor beams are used to pull wrecks and cans to your ship, simple as that.

Ships can often have mount less guns or launchers than there are free slots; those are usually called utility slots.
They are used for Nosferatus or Neuts or Remote Repairers.... or Tractor Beams (depending on the current purpose).
And yes, they are used to safe time on the salvaging afterwards.

Je suis Paris // Köln // Brüssel // Orlando // Nice // Würzburg, München, Ansbach // Saint-Étienne-du-Rouvray

Je suis Berlin // Fort Lauderdale // London // St. Petersburg // Stockholm

Je suis [?]

RaKuRa Combesa
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2012-11-09 20:30:22 UTC
Interesting... I am still new ..but what i do is just equip 2x Salvagers and move through the wrecks in a way that as I salvage one wreck I aprroach another ... so usually I have no (or little) time not salvaging.
Nerath Naaris
Pink Winged Unicorns for Peace Love and Anarchy
#5 - 2012-11-09 20:35:59 UTC
RaKuRa Combesa wrote:
Interesting... I am still new ..but what i do is just equip 2x Salvagers and move through the wrecks in a way that as I salvage one wreck I aprroach another ... so usually I have no (or little) time not salvaging.

That sure is nice sitting in a fast destroyer salvaging wrecks from (probably) frigates that you popped some 3 km away from you.
It is not so nice doing the same thing flying a battlecruiser or battleship that steers like a beached whale and the wrecks are some 30 km away..... Blink

Je suis Paris // Köln // Brüssel // Orlando // Nice // Würzburg, München, Ansbach // Saint-Étienne-du-Rouvray

Je suis Berlin // Fort Lauderdale // London // St. Petersburg // Stockholm

Je suis [?]

RaKuRa Combesa
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2012-11-09 20:39:30 UTC
Nerath Naaris wrote:
RaKuRa Combesa wrote:

That sure is nice sitting in a fast destroyer salvaging wrecks from (probably) frigates that you popped some 3 km away from you.
It is not so nice doing the same thing flying a battlecruiser or battleship that steers like a beached whale and the wrecks are some 30 km away..... Blink

Ohhh... now it makes sense :)
Lyric Lahnder
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#7 - 2012-11-09 22:04:39 UTC
Rakura your brand spaking new. If your running missions for cash. Dont bother salvaging or looting that stuff. Just blitz. It will save you time and grief.

Noir. and Noir Academy are recruiting apply at www.noirmercs.com I Noir Academy: 60 days old must be able to fly at least one tech II frigate. I Noir. Recruits: 4:1 k/d ratio and can fly tech II cruisers.

Zanzbar
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2012-11-09 22:23:19 UTC
Lyric Lahnder wrote:
Rakura your brand spaking new. If your running missions for cash. Dont bother salvaging or looting that stuff. Just blitz. It will save you time and grief.

Too much. Punctuation. In one. Little. Sentence

But yes he's right, chances are your better off moving on to another mission rather the salvaging if your still doing lvl 1 and 2 agents
Max Godsnottlingson
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#9 - 2012-11-10 08:10:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Max Godsnottlingson
Lyric Lahnder wrote:

Actually no, that's not quite right. But if you are doing missions, take your TB's and salvagers off your combat ship. then buy a cheap ship which is just fitted with TB's and salvagers.

Do your mission, swap ships, then ninja salvage it in a fraction of the time it takes to try doing it on the fly.

The one commodity most new players over look in Eve is time. Everything takes time in Eve, and for a mission runner, having a dedicated salvage ship can save you a hell of a lot of it.
blake fallout
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2012-11-11 16:19:40 UTC  |  Edited by: blake fallout
Nerath Naaris wrote:
RaKuRa Combesa wrote:

This^

or spread over 100km range from some Missions Big smile
Mike Adoulin
Happys Happy Hamster Hunting Club
#11 - 2012-11-12 12:27:25 UTC
Max Godsnottlingson wrote:
Lyric Lahnder wrote:

Actually no, that's not quite right. But if you are doing missions, take your TB's and salvagers off your combat ship. then buy a cheap ship which is just fitted with TB's and salvagers.

Do your mission, swap ships, then ninja salvage it in a fraction of the time it takes to try doing it on the fly.

The one commodity most new players over look in Eve is time. Everything takes time in Eve, and for a mission runner, having a dedicated salvage ship can save you a hell of a lot of it.

This.

A dedicated salvage destroyer can clean up l1's and l2's one helluvalot faster than trying to do it with your mission boat (which is gimped by having a salvage module in that high slot).

By the time you are doing level 3's and 4's, you should have a Noctis, and given the number of wrecks in those missions, it will save you a tremendous amount of time as opposed to trying to salvage/loot with your mission boat.

Everything in EVE is a trap.

And if it isn't, it's your job to make it a trap...:)

You want to know what immorality in EVE Online looks like? Look no further than Ripard "Jester" Teg.

Chribba is the Chuck Norris of EVE.

Salpad
Carebears with Attitude
#12 - 2012-11-13 03:01:20 UTC
Lyric Lahnder wrote:

Destroyers are good for this. Before the Noctis came out (an advanced hull that's out of the reach of noobs), everbody used Destroyers, except me. I did use them at first, too, but then after some time I switched to a Golem because it has a Tractor Beam range bonus.
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2012-11-13 03:27:51 UTC
Salpad wrote:
Lyric Lahnder wrote:

Destroyers are good for this. Before the Noctis came out (an advanced hull that's out of the reach of noobs), everbody used Destroyers, except me. I did use them at first, too, but then after some time I switched to a Golem because it has a Tractor Beam range bonus.

Also a massive cargohold

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Beckie DeLey
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2012-11-13 09:24:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Beckie DeLey
Salpad wrote:
. Before the Noctis came out (an advanced hull that's out of the reach of noobs)

Training for a Noctis takes literally only a few days. The hull is far from advanced, it's just an industrial. The only issue is the price of the hull, which is somewhere in the range of 70m. But for everyone who joined with a buddy invite and a couple ISK from that in his wallet, the Noctis is a very good investment early on as it will pay for itself really really quick.

My siren's name is Brick and she is the prettiest.

J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#15 - 2012-11-13 10:24:08 UTC
Beckie DeLey wrote:
Salpad wrote:
. Before the Noctis came out (an advanced hull that's out of the reach of noobs)

Training for a Noctis takes literally only a few days. The hull is far from advanced, it's just an industrial. The only issue is the price of the hull, which is somewhere in the range of 70m. But for everyone who joined with a buddy invite and a couple ISK from that in his wallet, the Noctis is a very good investment early on as it will pay for itself really really quick.

Wait, new players that invest money in a smart way?

Most of those players from a BI will burn that money on bigger ships and rush into them and then fit them out in a terribad way (no offense to new players).

This is also the main reason why I'm very opposed to giving new players 200mil from the start. It spoils them and they won't have the income to back up their spending habit. After that 200mil is gone, they complain how EVE is impossible cause they can't earn their money.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Beckie DeLey
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2012-11-13 10:36:42 UTC
J'Poll wrote:
This is also the main reason why I'm very opposed to giving new players 200mil from the start. It spoils them and they won't have the income to back up their spending habit. After that 200mil is gone, they complain how EVE is impossible cause they can't earn their money.

Yeah, that's a problem, i agree. But a lot of players start out this way and it can't hurt to give an advice or two to them as well. There's a lot of things that are worse to spend money and time on then the 75mil and 4 days of skill training on a Noctis. It's a great ship.

My siren's name is Brick and she is the prettiest.

Salpad
Carebears with Attitude
#17 - 2012-11-13 12:58:40 UTC
Beckie DeLey wrote:
Salpad wrote:

Okay, I sit corrected. It's been years since I trained my main and my alt for Noctis, and I just assumed it was an advanced hull. Sorry!