These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Wormholes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

How to get a spy out of your hole.

Author
Monikis
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#1 - 2012-11-04 11:16:57 UTC
Bad poasting on a trade alt because I'm scurred!

I have an amusing (for me) tale to tell, so sit yer arse down and listen!

So, me and some buddies recently moved into a deep wormhole. We spent heaps of ISK, bought ships, set up POSes and then sat back to watch the money roll in. We've been in our new home for all of 2 days, when I notice someone scanning in our static. I take my gas ship home, and wish that I wasn't the only one online so we could shut the hole. 5 minutes later, he I watch him jump into our home in a cheetah and start snooping around. I watch list him and 20 minutes later he logs off without leaving. Crap.

We see him online a few more times, he puts probes out, scans down all our sigs in home and then logs off a short time later.

We want to get rid of him, so we set bubble traps around our POS, and when he next logs on, we sit at the hole and wait. He scans everything down, and then warps to the hole. Little does he know, we were sitting on the hole with a cloaked alt waiting for him, and we immediately warp an interceptor to the hole when he jumps out. "We've got him", we say on voice! "Haha, he's dead and he doesn't even know it!"

We sit there with sebos running, points and webs hot, waiting... Then he jumps in, and simply warps off. Didn't even cloak, just warps off and we stumble over our own bad UIs and poor clicking skills, and I manage to web and scram my friend in the interceptor. He should have died, and we let him go. Crap.

Next time we tried shutting him out. The next day when he logged on, we watched the hole as before and when we saw him jump to the hole, we warped our closing ships to it, intending to shut the hole with him on the other side... but he jumped straight back in, and as we were landing on the hole, he was coming back. Capital ships have really bad lock times, so he gets away easily again. Crap.

Today, we had another plan. Devised on the spot, based on past observations of his behavior, we decided that we'd try shutting him out again! This time with a twist. We quickly make our preparations, warping all our hole closing ships to the static and jumping them all out. We leave the capital ship on the other side of the hole cloaked and jump everyone else home and cloak up. Now it was time to hurry up and wait. We watch as his probes inch slowly closer to the hole (He's either REALLY bad at scanning, or more likely he's just clicking scan once every minute or two while he does stuff on another character). The probes get to within 1 Au of our hole, then move away as he scans something else down. Still we wait. His probes move out of DSCAN range and we know he's found the last signature. Then we catch a single second of probes on scan. He's recalled them!

We wait for an agonizingly long time (felt like hours, was probably only 2 minutes) and nothing happens, but he's still online! I'm sure he was waiting for the trap he had to know was there. He decloaks! But he's not on the hole... he's 80kms away. We wait as he sits there... and then recloaks. Still nothing happens, his plan to trip our trap early has failed, and perhaps he's more confident that there isn't a trap, we're just really bad (we are, for the record, pretty bad). Wait some more, and then he appears at the hole! Voice lights up! He jumps out!

Then we jump our capital home and he was never seen again. Hole shut, spai gone.

So, that's my story. Anyone have any other interesting ways of getting spais out of your hole?
Cheesy Feet
The Hells Bells Club
#2 - 2012-11-04 13:15:48 UTC
How to get a spy out of your hole

You really want to post with a title like that?

This is gonna be a fun thread!!
Ashimat
Clandestine Services
#3 - 2012-11-04 13:26:23 UTC
Monikis wrote:
Then we jump our capital home and he was never seen again. Hole shut, spai gone.

So, that's my story. Anyone have any other interesting ways of getting spais out of your hole?

If you base your "security" around the idea that you somehow can lock down a system and rely on you being the only one in there you are up for a rude awakening, sooner or later.

Other than that, good job on the trap.

Got blog: http://thecloakedones.blogspot.com

Monikis
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#4 - 2012-11-04 13:56:06 UTC
Our security is not based on closing people out. This was just a fun story that I thought I'd share.
RingRaith
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2012-11-04 22:10:17 UTC
A covops frig can be quite difficult to lock on to before he cloaks even with an interceptor unless you get lucky and it spawns too close to something to be able to cloak. Even then it could just jump back through the wh.

If you ever have this problem again in future and if you had a few people with the ships set up, you could also try a smartbomb BS gang. You can't activate the SB within 5k of the wh I think but some SB's have a range greater than 5k like tech 2 or faction/officer. Sit a few battleships around the wh at 5k so that their SB areas of effect cover the hole and all surrounding area. If the covops gets caught in them (especially with his mwd on) he should pop and his pod too if you get lucky. Even better if you manage to catch him polarized if he is jumping back.
DJ P0N-3
Table Flippendeavors
#6 - 2012-11-05 17:07:05 UTC
Cheesy Feet wrote:
How to get a spy out of your hole

You really want to post with a title like that?

This is gonna be a fun thread!!

I vote that this thread be retitled The Spy Who Scanned Me.
Kalel Nimrott
Caldari Provisions
#7 - 2012-11-05 18:01:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Kalel Nimrott
Also, nvm the other ten alt scanners that they may have left in your wh as back up.i

Bob Artis, you will be missed.

O7

Dorian Wylde
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#8 - 2012-11-05 20:38:04 UTC
Cool story, congrats on the victory :)
Graff Spee
Lonercorp
#9 - 2012-11-06 08:37:58 UTC
You're awful, but admit it freely +1. Despite this, you do something somewhat unconventional, and surprising to him. +1 for that. Then you come here and post it for our amusement +1, because I'm bored at work.
slave-001
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2012-11-06 09:03:16 UTC
The "spy" actually made a bad job. Its not hard to go completely under the radar for days/ weeks if careful.
Bugsy VanHalen
Society of lost Souls
#11 - 2012-11-07 20:16:14 UTC
Well lets see... Getting a spy out of your hole....

I prefer to use string, and would recommend learning to tie much better knots.

If of course by spy you mean hamster and by hole you mean...well you know.
lanyaie
Nocturnal Romance
Cynosural Field Theory.
#12 - 2012-11-07 21:56:58 UTC
Nice read...
I'd tell you another "easier" way to do it but who knows you might use it against me sometime :)

Spaceprincess

People who put passwords on char bazaar Eveboards are the worst.

Gibbo5771
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#13 - 2012-11-08 09:14:08 UTC
We just use a double bubble sabre with triple sebo 280 arty thrashers.
Kalel Nimrott
Caldari Provisions
#14 - 2012-11-08 20:34:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Kalel Nimrott
If you are a currently on or are ex elysium empire dude, then I think I saw you operation on dscan.

O7

Raptors Mole
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#15 - 2012-11-08 22:13:54 UTC
As previously mentioned "Triple sebo Arty thrashers"!

You want high Alpha - no need to fit point or web.

1. Sit still. Turn on guns and sebos.
2. Wait for covops to decloak.
3. Target - Pop.

Repeat with pod.

Add remote sebos for "Godly locking time" .

Really funny when you expect a Buzzard and a Legion decloaks.

or

Rocket fit a bomber and try and find him as he is scanning/dropping probes.

Happy Hunting
Kalel Nimrott
Caldari Provisions
#16 - 2012-11-08 23:44:51 UTC
Smartbombing bs does the job better and takes care of the pod too.

O7

Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#17 - 2012-11-08 23:55:57 UTC
please post your j number

I should buy an Ishtar.

Castor Troyy
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#18 - 2012-11-09 02:09:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Castor Troyy
this is a wh eviction in our early days...they kept tryin to get people in but we were able to control the wh mass and keep them at bay...4RL 18 man corp vs Judges of Anarchy... We basically had 2 BS cloaked [ MEGA/SUICIDE GEDDON] we got up early, before they logged on, right after dt (about 6:30am local time) and then preceeded to scann all the sigs and crit the hs static...then...like clockwork scout logs in drop probes...we were able to tell he was close when the 2-3 au scan pulled up all the probes...then he shows up jumps through to get the exit...we immediately close it behind him...
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#19 - 2012-11-10 05:36:45 UTC
From the description of the OP this "spy" might have simply been looking for a way out.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

LoanWolf Tivianne
Ace's And 8's
#20 - 2012-11-15 06:17:53 UTC
just out of personal curiosity are you in EE and was it a c5

yea my spelling sucks so do you go back to work school teacher your not wanted here

12Next page