These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Issues, Workarounds & Localization

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Running 3 clients - what hardware to upgrade for better performance?

Author
Erinn Sylvanus
NovaTech Universal
#1 - 2012-11-06 11:50:02 UTC
I'm running 3 EVE clients on the following hardware. It runs fairly well, but when I switch from one client window to another I get a few seconds where the client drops to around 5 frames per second, then recovers to around 40 fps. I have the same fps drop right after I jump into a new system, or undock from a station. I do not have these problems at all if I run 2 clients - only when I run 3.

My question is - what should I improve to get rid of that horrid fps drop, and to improve overall fps?

Hardware:

i5-2500K 3.3Ghz
8GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit
SSD as the only system drive
Video card: Nvidia 560ti 668 with 1280MB RAM
Monitors: two 1920x1200 24" Dell monitors.

When I run these three clients, Task manager says only 4GB of RAM is in use. Video card says 73% of RAM is in use, GPU core is running at 99% at 57degrees C. System CPU doesn't seem anywhere near pegged.

My initial thought was video card RAM (as the fps drop feels like a texture-loading thing).

Thoughts?
Johan Civire
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#2 - 2012-11-06 16:01:57 UTC
Erinn Sylvanus wrote:
I'm running 3 EVE clients on the following hardware. It runs fairly well, but when I switch from one client window to another I get a few seconds where the client drops to around 5 frames per second, then recovers to around 40 fps. I have the same fps drop right after I jump into a new system, or undock from a station. I do not have these problems at all if I run 2 clients - only when I run 3.

My question is - what should I improve to get rid of that horrid fps drop, and to improve overall fps?

Hardware:

i5-2500K 3.3Ghz
8GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit
SSD as the only system drive
Video card: Nvidia 560ti 668 with 1280MB RAM
Monitors: two 1920x1200 24" Dell monitors.

When I run these three clients, Task manager says only 4GB of RAM is in use. Video card says 73% of RAM is in use, GPU core is running at 99% at 57degrees C. System CPU doesn't seem anywhere near pegged.

My initial thought was video card RAM (as the fps drop feels like a texture-loading thing).

Thoughts?

well i use this machine for atleast 6 clients.

CPU : AMD phenom II x4 965be oc 4ghz(all cores)
Mainboard or motherboard : Gigabyte ga790fxta-ud5
memory : AMD Black Edition OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800/ 1600MHz
HDD : Seagate 2tb baracuda slow drive (yah i know)
video card : 2xATI hd 5970 oc in crossfire OC all gpu speed to 1ghz
and the monitors are 6xhp 2710m :) love them

now this machine is almost 3/4 years old so its a little old for some diehards people but can run everything smooth i also upgrade the video card with 2xgtx690 however my power suply is to low for it so i need to wait :)
CoolSnaz
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2012-11-06 20:52:38 UTC
before jumping on the 7xxx Series cards, you may want to check out this thread:
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=109550
Balder Verdandi
Wormhole Sterilization Crew
#4 - 2012-11-07 11:43:54 UTC
I'm an IT guy so I'll chime in ...

Your video card and RAM should be upgraded, or at least the RAM. I can turn down my graphics and run 3 clients on my 4 year old HP dv5 (2.2 GHz Centrino, 4GB RAM, 9600M nVidia) so the texture issues you're seeing is where I'd start first.

Remember, the system RAM is like a garage workbench; if you don't have enough space (amount of RAM) to take the tools (programs) out of the toolbox (hard drive) to use them, you'll experience lots of crazy issues.

CoolSnaz
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2012-11-07 17:33:41 UTC
Balder Verdandi wrote:
I'm an IT guy so I'll chime in ...

Your video card and RAM should be upgraded, or at least the RAM. I can turn down my graphics and run 3 clients on my 4 year old HP dv5 (2.2 GHz Centrino, 4GB RAM, 9600M nVidia) so the texture issues you're seeing is where I'd start first.

Remember, the system RAM is like a garage workbench; if you don't have enough space (amount of RAM) to take the tools (programs) out of the toolbox (hard drive) to use them, you'll experience lots of crazy issues.

If you are referring to the 7xxx Series issues, then I would agree however I upgraded from 6GB to 16GB of RAM and I am still getting the screen freezes. Lowering the settings has also not helped and surely owning a 7xxx Series the idea is to play Eve in all her glory.
Erinn Sylvanus
NovaTech Universal
#6 - 2012-11-09 18:11:11 UTC
Thanks everyone. Went temporarily insane and ordered a GTX 690 card. Planning to follow that up in the next month or so with an upgrade to a new motherboard, i7, and RAM to go with it.
Byrrssa Crendraven
Anti - Social
#7 - 2012-11-12 17:13:26 UTC
I'm currently running 7 clients on an amd phenom II x6 1100T at 3.31 GHz, 8gb of ram and windows 7 64bit. The one key thing that I do to accomplish this feat is I use the optimize settings for memory. Everything runs smoothly from hard drives. No ssd to boost them...yet. :)
Erinn Sylvanus
NovaTech Universal
#8 - 2012-11-13 17:42:50 UTC
Thanks for the input everyone! As a quick followup, I put the GTX690 into my current system (i3 with 8GB RAM) and once I figured which DVI ports to use, it's all running flawlessly. Three clients with maxed out settings and all three are at a steady 60 fps at all times.
Balder Verdandi
Wormhole Sterilization Crew
#9 - 2012-11-18 12:23:50 UTC
CoolSnaz wrote:
If you are referring to the 7xxx Series issues, then I would agree however I upgraded from 6GB to 16GB of RAM and I am still getting the screen freezes. Lowering the settings has also not helped and surely owning a 7xxx Series the idea is to play Eve in all her glory.

Just dropping 16GB of RAM into a computer won't fix everything.

You need to make sure your version of Windows will support that much RAM, and it also depends on the type of RAM and if your motherboard will support that speed.

As for the video card, a driver upgrade could solve a lot of your problems. I'd recommend CCleaner to remove the old drivers and installing the new one, then run the in game graphics optimization after making sure it sees the new card.