These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Ok so really weird question but...

First post First post
Author
TriadSte
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-11-05 18:51:38 UTC
In the Eve universe, your allowed to do pretty much anything you please.

My question is this : why is it ok and deemed ok to scam someone out of millions or billions of isk but its not ok to get annoyed and be rather verbal to that person be it about racism, sexual orientation etc.

Its is quite normal to think nasty things Twisted after you've been scammed. Some people even voice those opinions yet if petitioned we are warned about it yet scamming is always working as intended.

I have not been scammed but I think in a sandbox its either strike first and get the kill or die. Its a dog eat dog world. If scamming is ok I think "everything" should be ok.

Scamming in my opinion is only done by the absolute lowest forms of life. Its like taking a childs ice cream Its something you just wouldnt do unless you had a screw loose in the head. Maybe not firing on all cylinders.

Opertone
State War Academy
Caldari State
#2 - 2012-11-05 18:53:54 UTC
I think so too.

Scamming is terrible. But it is acceptable.

Exploiting and macroing - must not be tolerated.

Macro spam bot - permanent ban. If you scam you must scam legitimately. No bots.

This post sums up why the 'best' work with DCM inc.

WARP DRIVE makes eve boring

really - add warping align time 300% on gun aggression and eve becomes great again

Tah'ris Khlador
Space Ghosts.
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#3 - 2012-11-05 18:54:33 UTC
TriadSte wrote:

My question is this : why is it ok and deemed ok to scam someone out of millions or billions of isk but its not ok to get annoyed and be rather verbal to that person be it about racism, sexual orientation etc.

Its is quite normal to think nasty things Twisted after you've been scammed. Some people even voice those opinions yet if petitioned we are warned about it yet scamming is always working as intended.

I have not been scammed but I think in a sandbox its either strike first and get the kill or die. Its a dog eat dog world. If scamming is ok I think "everything" should be ok.

Scamming in my opinion is only done by the absolute lowest forms of life. Its like taking a childs ice cream Its something you just wouldnt do unless you had a screw loose in the head. Maybe not firing on all cylinders.

But they had mint chocolate chip! I LOVE mint chocolate chip! That is why I took it.

Member of the Pink Pony Killboard Padding Alliance

Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#4 - 2012-11-05 18:54:37 UTC
Don't know, but if I were CCP, I wouldn't allow racism, sexism, etc. either. There are ways to express your righteous rage without resorting to that. Insulting/hating on people on the basis of the category they happened to be born into-- that's just primitive.
Roll Sizzle Beef
Space Mutiny
#5 - 2012-11-05 18:55:21 UTC
To be tricked, scammed, played, is just a game.
To get overly upset, verbal, racist, sexist, raging is getting personal and needs to chill out. Go outside, and have a smoke.
Clystan
Binaerie Heavy Industries
#6 - 2012-11-05 18:57:05 UTC
Rage is never as rewarding as a well planned revenge.
Yuri Wayfare
Suddenly Ninjas
Tear Extraction And Reclamation Service
#7 - 2012-11-05 18:59:37 UTC
TriadSte wrote:
Its something you just wouldnt do unless you had a screw loose in the head. Maybe not firing on all cylinders.

I will have you know, SIR, that when one of my car's cylinders misfired it resulted in a VERY nasty crash that left me with a loose screw embedded in my cranium! I still have nightmares! How could you be so inconsiderate!

Petitioned!

"Suddenly, trash pickers! HUNDREDS of winos going through your recyclables." -Piugattuk

Be careful what you wish for.

TriadSte
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2012-11-05 19:00:06 UTC
All great replies, as I said I've not been scammed but I thought it was an interesting topic. I think Its how you perceive things I guess to determine how you feel about things.

Scamming is quite an artform indeed but i feel its as bad as a personal attack because in a way.....it is.
Natrayle Kale
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#9 - 2012-11-05 19:00:10 UTC
TriadSte, I can understand where your coming from, but scamming is something that although not necessarily built into the mechanics, follows along with the sandbox feel. To be honest, there are many other ways that a victim of a scam can seek his revenge. This may be via military action, or even in other ways. Many people resort to verbal reactions out of frustration, but there are many other ways of doing so. To be honest, spamming vs racism/sexism isnt really a fair... comparison, know what i mean?

On another note, for CCP to effectively control chat (voice or text) in Eve, to watch for and take action against sexism/racism it would be difficult. Now on the other hand, Corp names, Alliance Names tickers etc could be something they could control. The other option could be through a ticket system where pilots could report others saying things of this matter and then go from there. Probably warning then escalation kinda idea.
ISD Dorrim Barstorlode
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#10 - 2012-11-05 19:02:43 UTC
Scamming is a perfectly legitimate form of PvP in EVE Online, even if it doesn't involving shooting at things. With that said, there are ways to combat it, such as carefully reading the contract or terms of service involved with whatever way they're trying to scam you. If it requires isk and you aren't exactly sure how it works, do research on it.

With that said, getting verbal about it afterwards and raging everywhere isn't going to solve the issue. At the end of the day, you'll be out your isk, ships, and whatever else might have happened. Cursing and ranting about it isn't going to help and might get you into trouble. It'd be best to just accept what happened and try to recover from it. If you're really clever about it, you might even be able to scam them back using the mechanics against them. It's how a sandbox works.

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode

Senior Lead

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

Sura Sadiva
Entropic Tactical Crew
#11 - 2012-11-05 19:09:18 UTC
I don't see any correlation.
Scamming is part of the game, it's based on social engenieering, manipulation, knowledge of the game and so on; is inside the borders of the game mechanics and setting. Can be an unpleaseable outcome, but still is a game outcome, same as when one get mad for loosing a ship.

Racism, verbal harrassing and so on is a totally different matter. Has nothing to do with the game, it only uses the game tools to haul some out of game harrassment, prejudice, frustration....

Kari Juptris
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#12 - 2012-11-05 20:18:11 UTC
Getting verbal is real life harassment.

Scamming is considered valid PVP and the less than shiny apples happen to fall for it all the time. CCP explicitly owns everything in game from a legal standpoint.
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2012-11-05 20:24:46 UTC
ISD Dorrim Barstorlode wrote:
Scamming is a perfectly legitimate form of PvP in EVE Online, even if it doesn't involving shooting at things. With that said, there are ways to combat it, such as carefully reading the contract or terms of service involved with whatever way they're trying to scam you. If it requires isk and you aren't exactly sure how it works, do research on it.

With that said, getting verbal about it afterwards and raging everywhere isn't going to solve the issue. At the end of the day, you'll be out your isk, ships, and whatever else might have happened. Cursing and ranting about it isn't going to help and might get you into trouble. It'd be best to just accept what happened and try to recover from it. If you're really clever about it, you might even be able to scam them back using the mechanics against them. It's how a sandbox works.

Usually verbal PvP doesn't involve shooting things... maybe later irl but not in-game P

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Abdiel Kavash
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#14 - 2012-11-05 20:26:53 UTC
Scamming is a completely valid gameplay mechanic. Insults and racism go out of game.

(Would you argue that shooting people in CoD should be forbidden, because murder is a more serious crime than racism?)
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#15 - 2012-11-05 20:40:27 UTC
TriadSte wrote:

EVE permits every form of in-game villainy. But bringing in real life conflicts and bigotry is, as should be obvious, a no-no. In short: my character can do anything that he can get away with to your character (and vice-versa, of course). But there are very strict limits on what I can do to you. CCP's rules aren't there to make us play nice characters, only to be nice people.

The important distinction is that if I scam you out of everything in game, then you can escape the consequences of that by simply closing the client: Poof! Your losses - and my "crime" - are now as meaningless as losing a piece in a game of checkers. But I think you'll agree that anyone who started spewing racial epithets or making real life threats because he lost a piece in a game of checkers had failed to understand something very important about playing competitive games.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

TheBreadMuncher
Protus Correction Facility Inc.
#16 - 2012-11-05 20:42:10 UTC
TriadSte wrote:

Bugger off, I stole 14bil and I'm perfectly normal. Your mutilated cat just can't accept it.

Now if only the binbag would stop talking to me...

"We will create the introduction thread if that is requested by the community. Also, we will have an ISD Seminar about the CCL team in the coming weeks in which you can ask your questions about the CCL team and provide some constructive feedback to us." - Countless pages of locked threads and numerous permabanned accounts later, change is coming.

James 315
Experimental Fun Times Corp RELOADED
CODE.
#17 - 2012-11-05 20:55:09 UTC
TriadSte wrote:

I can't answer your question without knowing more about what you said after you got scammed.
Lin-Young Borovskova
Doomheim
#18 - 2012-11-05 21:02:13 UTC
Khergit Deserters wrote:
Don't know, but if I were CCP, I wouldn't allow racism, sexism, etc. either. There are ways to express your righteous rage without resorting to that. Insulting/hating on people on the basis of the category they happened to be born into-- that's just primitive.

This kind of behaviour should of course not be tolerated, not more than those claiming those behaviours and crying/moaning/insulting others intelligence in this very same forum.
Respect goes on both ways, not on a single one.

brb

admiral root
Red Galaxy
#19 - 2012-11-05 21:06:07 UTC
TriadSte wrote:

When a player gets scammed, the "victim" has two options - pay attention to what they're agreeing to, or benefit from training lazy, stupid and greedy to V. It's not like real life, where someone can sell you a convincing fake. Show info and looking things up on the market, together with a good dose of common sense, are all you really need. Are you really saying people should be protected?

No, your rights end in optimal+2*falloff

rodyas
Tie Fighters Inc
#20 - 2012-11-06 06:25:29 UTC
CCP is just here to make money really.

Racism and sexism hurts the brand and the game image, makes less money from it. Ganking could as well, but CCP likes to have fun as well. Just got to wait till CCP can make enough money from not ganking to equal out the fun they get form ganking. Problem solved.

Asia has too many people, so tons of money there, be a very long time, till CCP allows racism in the game.

Signature removed for inappropriate language - CCP Eterne

123Next pageLast page