These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

best way to find rare mining sights in hisec?

Author
Moistmuffin RKHT
My Little Uniponisus
#1 - 2012-10-31 20:04:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Moistmuffin RKHT
Been trying to play with explorering as far as scanning down mining sites, but I never seem to come across any. I'm in gallate space so I often find dieing wormholes or serpentis outposts with things to use hacking or an analyzer, but it's not very lucrative and not worth the time it takes me to scan them down.

Ideally I'd like to find a mining place in .5 space that would offer things like Jaspet as around dodixie it seems to have a decent price, but not worth flying into lowsec for.

Any suggestions on locations to scan in would be appreciated. I'm fine with relocating my mining ops alt to somewhere other than linsang areas.

I created Ave Molech and I love ponies.

Cap James Tkirk
Capsuleer Outfitters
Bad Intention
#2 - 2012-10-31 21:10:53 UTC
to find anything aside HS ores in HS you need to scan down gravs and pray the luck gods are on your side or move to a quite low/null system
Disturbed Pilot
Doomheim
#3 - 2012-10-31 21:30:07 UTC
As far as i know:

Grav, radar sites, ladar, mag sites are always within 4au of any planet. The only thing that can be further then 4au from a planet is Wormholes which can not be further then 8au.

I use the 5 probe technique leaving my 5th probe in the center of the plus sign.

Basically just put your plus sign at 4au and scan each of the different planet groups if you don't find nothing then move on. That is a personal preference for me and seems to save me some time.

Exploration is very frustrating at times and you should open yourself up to more things then just the asteroids if possible. The more things you do the less tedious the game becomes.

Hope this was help full 8-)
Styth spiting
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2012-10-31 22:59:06 UTC
Honestly, HS grav sites are awful, and are not really worth the effort of scanning down/swapping out ships etc.

In Amarr space you will find a few Omber roids (yuck) some Jaspet and if I remember correctly some Pyro. With an Orca + hulk I was able to mine out most of these grav sites in like 15 - 20 minutes. I don't even think I filled 1/2 an Orca.

Considering the amount of time it takes to scan down, swap out ships, mine, haul etc. the per hour yield wasnt even close to 1/2 the yield of simply mining veldspar in a belt.

Lowsec, Null and WH are the other hand are great.
Jeratha Jedran
Boiled in Soup
#5 - 2012-11-01 01:18:52 UTC
Styth spiting wrote:
Honestly, HS grav sites are awful, and are not really worth the effort of scanning down/swapping out ships etc.

In Amarr space you will find a few Omber roids (yuck) some Jaspet and if I remember correctly some Pyro. With an Orca + hulk I was able to mine out most of these grav sites in like 15 - 20 minutes. I don't even think I filled 1/2 an Orca.

Considering the amount of time it takes to scan down, swap out ships, mine, haul etc. the per hour yield wasnt even close to 1/2 the yield of simply mining veldspar in a belt.

I’m afraid that the only true statements in that post is that jaspet and omber can appear in grav sites in amarr. Grav sites are very profitable if you can find the right kind. There are three kinds of grav sites. Small, average and large. Small amd average are really only worth going after if they are not too far out of your way if you are mining in a hulk and orca. Large sites can be quite profitable but you have to find it before anyone else or there will not be anything left. I once found a grav site that had exactly one cycle left in each asteroid.

The asteroids you will find in hisec grav sites are omber, kernite, jaspet, hemorphite and hedbergite. The grav site you want to look for is the large jaspet, hedbergite and hemorphite with as a second goal large jaspet, kernite and hemorphite and worse case large jaspet, kernite and omber.

In order to speed up your search use a dsp guide to figure out the signature strength of the large grav sites. They generally have the lowest sig possible.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#6 - 2012-11-01 13:38:36 UTC
Moistmuffin RKHT wrote:
Been trying to play with explorering as far as scanning down mining sites, but I never seem to come across any. I'm in gallate space so I often find dieing wormholes or serpentis outposts with things to use hacking or an analyzer, but it's not very lucrative and not worth the time it takes me to scan them down.

Ideally I'd like to find a mining place in .5 space that would offer things like Jaspet as around dodixie it seems to have a decent price, but not worth flying into lowsec for.

Any suggestions on locations to scan in would be appreciated. I'm fine with relocating my mining ops alt to somewhere other than linsang areas.

I get the impression you are hanging around the most crowded parts of High Sec: trade routes (Dodixie) in Gallente and Caldari Space.

MOVE. Elsewhere. It's a huge galaxy.

3 sites of varying sizes of Hemo/Jasp found in one system alone this morning in my Constellation in Derelik.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Bugsy VanHalen
Society of lost Souls
#7 - 2012-11-01 14:34:42 UTC
Grav sites have some of the smallest signatures. The best grav sites are also the hardest overall sites to find. Without good skills you will not even see them show up unless you are very lucky. And if you do find one you will need good scanning skills to lock it down to 100%.

When I started exploring I never saw a grav site. Once I got my skills up I see them fairly often. Most high sec grav sites though are full of omber and not worth mining in. There are only a couple worthwhile ones, and they are rare to find.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#8 - 2012-11-01 16:32:54 UTC
Bugsy VanHalen wrote:
Grav sites have some of the smallest signatures. The best grav sites are also the hardest overall sites to find. Without good skills you will not even see them show up unless you are very lucky. And if you do find one you will need good scanning skills to lock it down to 100%.

When I started exploring I never saw a grav site. Once I got my skills up I see them fairly often. Most high sec grav sites though are full of omber and not worth mining in. There are only a couple worthwhile ones, and they are rare to find.

I had a Large Jasp/Kern/Omber site on Monday. HUGE Shocked. Mined the Jaspet only with "2 Hulks and an Orca" for 6 hours and finally quit from exhaustion. Never ever seen a site so big in 3 years, so there may be some changes effected, but not sure. It was seriously too much to mine, even ignoring the Kernite and Omber. Over 1,000,000 m3 netting around 365,000,000 in Rens.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

PhatController
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#9 - 2012-11-01 16:41:11 UTC
The best highsec grav sites are going to be full or ore that are only 5-10% more valuable then standard ore in high-sec, so you have to ask yourself if that is worth it compared to the time it takes you to scan them down. The more common ones will have ore worse then what you can mine in high-sec belts because of the high value of Scordite and the other low-ends
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#10 - 2012-11-01 16:55:23 UTC
Skill up to the Deep Space Probe. It will quickly tell you if the site is worth scanning. For example I only go for things that have a DSP signal strength of 0.1% or less when scanned with a single deep space probe set to a radius of 256 AU. The good grav sites are 0.02%.

The nice thing about grav sites is the roids are huge. They last many cycles, meaning little lost time on partial cycles. So even if the ore is equal or less value that basic high sec ores, you may still make more per hour of mining.

Also if you are in Gallente space and doing your own manufacturing, you get Nocx from them. Saves a field trip to Amarr space.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#11 - 2012-11-01 17:14:04 UTC
Indeed, I always start with the lowest percentage scan value and work backwards to highest. The Large (low sec ore) Sites will be in that low range.

Bugsy VanHalen
Society of lost Souls
#12 - 2012-11-01 17:21:57 UTC
Vincent Athena wrote:
Skill up to the Deep Space Probe. It will quickly tell you if the site is worth scanning. For example I only go for things that have a DSP signal strength of 0.1% or less when scanned with a single deep space probe set to a radius of 256 AU. The good grav sites are 0.02%.

The nice thing about grav sites is the roids are huge. They last many cycles, meaning little lost time on partial cycles. So even if the ore is equal or less value that basic high sec ores, you may still make more per hour of mining.

Also if you are in Gallente space and doing your own manufacturing, you get Nocx from them. Saves a field trip to Amarr space.

Yes this is the right way to do it. However if your scanning skills are not up to par the gav sites will not show. I believe it is anything that comes up at 0.01 or lower with your skills will not show up. With good skills you can detect the good grav sites at around 0.02% as you said. but you do not need to drop much in skill for that 0.02% to become 0.009% which will not show up in the scan.

In a bonused ship with scanning rigs, all the scanning implants, and max skills you can find the smallest signatures with ease. but even in the same ship a character without implants, and poor scanning skills will miss most of the smallest signatures.
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#13 - 2012-11-01 17:33:06 UTC
Aye. I got good skills and good equipment, so I see all the sites. But not the best skills and equipment. Typically I use a Swiss army knife fit Proteus. It lets me do all the radar, mag and combat sites. It also just barely allows me to scan out the difficult grav sites. I got to zoom way in and squeeze all the probes around the sig to get that last 5%, but it works.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Salpad
Carebears with Attitude
#14 - 2012-11-01 18:14:38 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
[quote=Bugsy VanHalen]I had a Large Jasp/Kern/Omber site on Monday. HUGE Shocked. Mined the Jaspet only with "2 Hulks and an Orca" for 6 hours and finally quit from exhaustion. Never ever seen a site so big in 3 years, so there may be some changes effected, but not sure. It was seriously too much to mine, even ignoring the Kernite and Omber. Over 1,000,000 m3 netting around 365,000,000 in Rens.

A month or two ago, I found a small site, IIRC Jaspet+Kernite or something. It had a total of 5 Mackinaw-loads, so about 175k m3 of ore.

The trick to finding them is to scan in out-of-the-way systems. 10-18 jumps from Jita might be ideal. Or longer, but I'm not sure there is much high-sec that's more than about 18 jumps from the center of the known universe.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#15 - 2012-11-01 18:52:58 UTC
Salpad wrote:

The trick to finding them is to scan in out-of-the-way systems. 10-18 jumps from Jita might be ideal. Or longer, but I'm not sure there is much high-sec that's more than about 18 jumps from the center of the known universe.

I'm around 35 jumps Smile (sometimes that doesn't seem far enough).

Styth spiting
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#16 - 2012-11-01 19:39:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Styth spiting
Jeratha Jedran wrote:
Styth spiting wrote:

I’m afraid that the only true statements in that post is that jaspet and omber can appear in grav sites in amarr. Grav sites are very profitable if you can find the right kind. There are three kinds of grav sites. Small, average and large. Small amd average are really only worth going after if they are not too far out of your way if you are mining in a hulk and orca. Large sites can be quite profitable but you have to find it before anyone else or there will not be anything left. I once found a grav site that had exactly one cycle left in each asteroid.

The asteroids you will find in hisec grav sites are omber, kernite, jaspet, hemorphite and hedbergite. The grav site you want to look for is the large jaspet, hedbergite and hemorphite with as a second goal large jaspet, kernite and hemorphite and worse case large jaspet, kernite and omber.

In order to speed up your search use a dsp guide to figure out the signature strength of the large grav sites. They generally have the lowest sig possible.

You're totally right and I wasn't very clear with what I was saying.

Large grav sites in highsec can be great, but the frequency in which they spawn, the difficulty of scanning one (you may need fully trained scanning skills, I can't recall), and the chance that it hasn't been partially/fully mined out or is being actively mined are so low that once you take into account the time invested successfully finding one and then moving your mining equipment and fleet to the location, and then the time to then haul to a station you can refine in is not really worth it. If you figure it takes 1 - 2 hours to locate, setup and finishing up that is lost time that could have been used mining a standard belt.

But this is assuming you are specifically JUST looking for large grav sites. If I or a corp mate were to randomly find one while running sites we would totally mine it, but specifically looking for large grav sites (and ignoring everything else) specifically for mining purposes the lost time (for me at least) is not worth it.

During the last hulkageddon I mined though the entire event and didn't lose a single ship because I was just miing grav sites and missions, because you do have the extra advantage of security that comes with players having to scan your ships down which is a great extra advantage too.
Bugsy VanHalen
Society of lost Souls
#17 - 2012-11-01 20:00:34 UTC
Salpad wrote:
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
[quote=Bugsy VanHalen]I had a Large Jasp/Kern/Omber site on Monday. HUGE Shocked. Mined the Jaspet only with "2 Hulks and an Orca" for 6 hours and finally quit from exhaustion. Never ever seen a site so big in 3 years, so there may be some changes effected, but not sure. It was seriously too much to mine, even ignoring the Kernite and Omber. Over 1,000,000 m3 netting around 365,000,000 in Rens.

A month or two ago, I found a small site, IIRC Jaspet+Kernite or something. It had a total of 5 Mackinaw-loads, so about 175k m3 of ore.

Yes, there are more sites in back water systems. But the fact still remains that the BEST garv sites are also the sites with the smallest signature. these are often missed in busy systems as you will not even have them show up on DSp scan unless you have really good skills and equipment. The small grav sites, yes, but the large ones are much harder to find. In fact any site that a character with good scanning skills and equipment has trouble locking down has a small enough base signature that the average explorer will not pick them up on a sweep. if they do happen apon them while scanning in the 2-4 AU range they will not have the skills to lock them down to 100%.
These are the more valuable ones, but you need skills 5/4/4/4 and a boosted ship and equipment to lock down the hardest ones.

When I had skills 4/3/3/3 in a T2 boosted ship with sisters launcher and probes I occasionally found a small grav site. Now that I have skills 5/4/4/4 in the same ship, in the same systems, I find them far more often, and occasionally see medium and large grav sites which I never saw with lower skills. This leads me to believe the sites where always around, I just did not have the skills to see them, let alone lock them down.
Huttan Funaila
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#18 - 2012-11-02 04:44:45 UTC
I find that only the omber and kernite ones are left by the time I get home from work/school. One weekend I found a large omber grav site. During the approximately 6 hours I was doing homework, only 3 other ships showed up and they warped away when they saw what was there. My guess is that site had about 50 retriever loads of ore.

The times that I have scanned down a grav site with "jaspet" in the name, there are already ships mining the stuff out, with maybe 1 retriever load left of ore by the time I get there. You have to be quick, and due to my schedule, that is something I am not.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#19 - 2012-11-02 12:34:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Krixtal Icefluxor
Styth spiting wrote:

Large grav sites in highsec can be great, but the frequency in which they spawn, the difficulty of scanning one (you may need fully trained scanning skills, I can't recall), and the chance that it hasn't been partially/fully mined out or is being actively mined are so low that once you take into account the time invested successfully finding one and then moving your mining equipment and fleet to the location, and then the time to then haul to a station you can refine in is not really worth it.

No. That 350,000,000 ISK from the Large Jasp/Kern/Omb Site I detailed above absolutely was not worth it at all. Nope.

Dave stark
#20 - 2012-11-02 13:05:33 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Styth spiting wrote:

Large grav sites in highsec can be great, but the frequency in which they spawn, the difficulty of scanning one (you may need fully trained scanning skills, I can't recall), and the chance that it hasn't been partially/fully mined out or is being actively mined are so low that once you take into account the time invested successfully finding one and then moving your mining equipment and fleet to the location, and then the time to then haul to a station you can refine in is not really worth it.

No. That 350,000,000 ISK from the Large Jasp/Kern/Omb Site I detailed above absolutely was not worth it at all. Nope.

considering those three ores are all worth less than scordite right now. no, no it isn't worth it, at all.
12Next page