These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Going from Caldari to Amarr ships. (Missioning etc.)

Author
Daak Elibrium
Perkone
Caldari State
#1 - 2012-10-30 08:21:49 UTC
Hi.

I started this character in 2007. Have been playing on and off for years.
Well now I am back, and I want a race change.

I like Caldari much, but I have grown tierd of the Missile-boat style, and I want PEWPEW, Lazors.
And Amarr ships have always been a favorite of mine - lookwise.

This is the skills I am currently pocessing.
http://eveboard.com/pilot/Daak_Elibrium

My skills are all over the place. Started as a industrial, research guy, then going on for some PvP(didn't happen much), some PvE later on, and last time I played it was all about cloaking, wormholes and scanning (Which I still love and are very intrested in!).

Now to my problem.
How do I transition from Caldari ships to Amarr. I know some skills, but I am kinda lost where to start. I have a friend that has just started playing, so I can join him on some lv1 missions.

What should I know before I go full-amarr on this char. What are the major differances? Do I have a good starting ground?
Am I doing a bad bad thing here?

I just need som pointers and tips.
Thats all.

Cheers.
Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#2 - 2012-10-30 08:57:29 UTC
The major differences
- Lasers only do em/therm damage. If you want to mission against Angels for example this is a big problem. Dedicated Amarr missioner should really move to Amarr space so you get missions against Bloodraiders.
- Amarr ships are almost all armor tanked and cap use heavy.

You lack some basic skills you really should have at L4 (see the guide in my link).
Your armor tanking skills are weak. You have no armor compensation skills.
Your gunnery skills are weak. You are missing a lot of vital skills. In particular you need Controlled Bursts for lasers.

Work on your basic skills, armour tanking skills and gunnery skills. Only then begin to upgrade to bigger ships. If you want anything bigger than a cruiser you will need to get good drone skills which you also do not have.
Daak Elibrium
Perkone
Caldari State
#3 - 2012-10-30 09:02:06 UTC
Louis deGuerre wrote:
The major differences
- Lasers only do em/therm damage. If you want to mission against Angels for example this is a big problem. Dedicated Amarr missioner should really move to Amarr space so you get missions against Bloodraiders.
- Amarr ships are almost all armor tanked and cap use heavy.

You lack some basic skills you really should have at L4 (see the guide in my link).
Your armor tanking skills are weak. You have no armor compensation skills.
Your gunnery skills are weak. You are missing a lot of vital skills. In particular you need Controlled Bursts for lasers.

Work on your basic skills, armour tanking skills and gunnery skills. Only then begin to upgrade to bigger ships. If you want anything bigger than a cruiser you will need to get good drone skills which you also do not have.

Oh, sounds like I have a long way to go. That does sound a bit boring, but I can manage, since my friend just started as well.
I guess a month or two I'll be up and running pretty good, right?

As for the moving to Amarr space. Is it really neccessary? I've worked a lot for my lv3 (soon lv4) Caldari Navy rep. And the corp we are starting is located in Caldari space. How hard will it be to rating in Caldari space as an Amarr pilot?

Thanks for the reply and the link, I'll check it out.
Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#4 - 2012-10-30 09:15:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Louis deGuerre
Daak Elibrium wrote:
Oh, sounds like I have a long way to go. That does sound a bit boring, but I can manage, since my friend just started as well.
I guess a month or two I'll be up and running pretty good, right?

As for the moving to Amarr space. Is it really neccessary? I've worked a lot for my lv3 (soon lv4) Caldari Navy rep. And the corp we are starting is located in Caldari space. How hard will it be to rating in Caldari space as an Amarr pilot?

Thanks for the reply and the link, I'll check it out.

Use EVEMon to get an estimate. If you only go to L4 it should not take more than a month or so to get all the necessary skills up to L4 I think.
The only real alternative for using Amarr in Caldari space is to get really good drone skills and to use drones to compensate for your lack in damage in kinetic and explosive damage. An Arbitrator is a good choice in this case.
However, with upcoming Retribution expansion NPCs will target drones so this will maybe not be a viable strategy anymore.
If you have really good skills you can just blast anything with lasers even if it is not the correct damage type, but it will take a long time.
I do fly Amarr ships in Caldari, but only as support of other missioners.
If you just start out it does not matter if you move as you have no standings. There are some Caldari corporation agents in Amarr space as well.

EDIT : Alternatively you can skill for Minmatar ships and Projectile guns which DO have all damage types and many of which can be shieldtanked and stay in Caldari space.
Daak Elibrium
Perkone
Caldari State
#5 - 2012-10-30 09:24:46 UTC
Louis deGuerre wrote:

Use EVEMon to get an estimate. If you only go to L4 it should not take more than a month or so to get all the necessary skills up to L4 I think.
The only real alternative for using Amarr in Caldari space is to get really good drone skills and to use drones to compensate for your lack in damage in kinetic and explosive damage. An Arbitrator is a good choice in this case.
However, with upcoming Retribution expansion NPCs will target drones so this will maybe not be a viable strategy anymore.
If you have really good skills you can just blast anything with lasers even if it is not the correct damage type, but it will take a long time.
I do fly Amarr ships in Caldari, but only as support of other missioners.
If you just start out it does not matter if you move as you have no standings. There are some Caldari corporation agents in Amarr space as well.

EDIT : Alternatively you can skill for Minmatar ships and Projectile guns which DO have all damage types and many of which can be shieldtanked and stay in Caldari space.

I don't really fancy drones at all, which seems to be a problem... I've never really liked droneboats, atleast not atm. What I want is the good looks of Amarr and the weapon types of Pules and Beam weapons. So I don't know if I want to fly an Arbitratior, I guess its good because of the dronebay?

The issue is that my friends are all Caldari pilots, and doing missions togheter is what we intend to do. Maybe its not that hard to stay in Caldari space if you team up. What support ships are good for lv1-2 missions as Amarr?
Although I have never flown as an support, I guess there are some skills I have to train then as well.
Then the whole issue about me going to sustain as a solo-pilot is difficult as well I guess?

I've thought about minmatar, but I don't like the lore, astetics and the weapons.

Thanks tho.
Marc Callan
Lucifer's Hammer
A Band Apart.
#6 - 2012-10-30 10:19:31 UTC
One thing about Amarr laser boats, especially in PVE: capacitor is life, the universe, and everything. If you're active tanking, your defenses depend on your cap; if you're firing lasers, your capacitor is your ammunition; with any sort of prop mod, your mobility depends on your capacitor; and with everything drawing on your cap, you can get in trouble really quickly.

So before you get serious with Amarr laser boats, train up to get the Core Capacitor Elite certificate. Energy Systems Operation speeds your cap recharge; Energy Management boosts your capacitor reservoir. Energy Grid Upgrades will let you fit cap rechargers, capacitor batteries, Power Diagnostics, and the like.

Also train up Controlled Bursts, which will reduce turrets' cap consumption. It's useless for missile boats and projectile gunships, a good thing to have for hybrid turret users, but critical for laser fire. For Amarr, you'll want to train this up to V.

And if you want to step into an Armageddon or Apocalypse, train up Amarr Battleships as far as you can, as quickly as you can, because those two ships have bonuses reducing laser turrets' cap consumption.

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegurt

Vilnius Zar
SDC Multi Ten
#7 - 2012-10-30 11:19:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Vilnius Zar
Have a look at this fit, it'll require advanced weapon upgrades 4 (which is kinda "standard" for amarr anyway) and a 3% PG implant. It's quite cap hungry and uses cap boosters but on the upside it does amazing dps, and dps is what matters. This would even kinda/sorta work against guristas (never uses pulses against Guristas not even with scorch, due to scorch mostly being EM damage) as it allows you to use fairly short range crystals, meaning more thermal damage type. Still, it wouldn't be ideal and you'd just be better off doing PVE in Amarr space.

Once you get some experience you can replace one hardener with an extra heat sink for more dps.

[Abaddon, PVE - LVL 4 - T1 Megabeam]
Imperial Navy Large Armor Repairer
Armor EM Hardener II
Armor EM Hardener II
Armor Thermic Hardener II
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II

Experimental 100MN Afterburner I
Tracking Computer II, Optimal Range Script
Heavy Electrochemical Capacitor Booster I, Cap Booster 800

Mega Modulated Energy Beam I, Imperial Navy Multifrequency L

Large Energy Discharge Elutriation II
Large Ancillary Current Router I
Large Auxiliary Nano Pump I

Hammerhead II x5
Hobgoblin II x5

-edit -

It might sound silly to use such a cap hungry ship on lower SP but it's not really. The other Amarr BS cap use depends on the BS skill level and Controlled bursts, for the Abaddon it's just Controlled bursts. Also, fit assumed a 5% PG implant, I changed it a bit to make it work with a 3%.
Daak Elibrium
Perkone
Caldari State
#8 - 2012-10-30 11:29:46 UTC
Vilnius Zar wrote:
Have a look at this fit, it'll require advanced weapon upgrades 4 (which is kinda "standard" for amarr anyway). It's quite cap hungry and uses cap boosters but on the upside it does amazing dps, and dps is what matters. This would even kinda/sorta work against guristas (never uses pulses against Guristas not even with scorch, due to scorch mostly being EM damage) as it allows you to use fairly short range crystals, meaning more thermal damage type. Still, it wouldn't be ideal and you'd just be better off doing PVE in Amarr space.

Once you get some experience you can replace one hardener with an extra heat sink for more dps.

[Abaddon, PVE - LVL 4 - T1 Megabeam]
Large Armor Repairer II
Armor EM Hardener II
Armor EM Hardener II
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II

100MN Afterburner II
Heavy Capacitor Booster II, Cap Booster 800

Large Energy Discharge Elutriation II
Large Ancillary Current Router I
Large Auxiliary Nano Pump I

Hammerhead II x5
Hobgoblin II x5

-edit -

It might sound silly to use such a cap hungry ship on lower SP but it's not really. The other Amarr BS cap use depends on the BS skill level and Controlled bursts, for the Abaddon it's just Controlled bursts.

I will load this in to EvEMon and start right away, it seems like a good starting point. Thanks a lot.
Then later I will decide if I stay in Caldari Space or move over to Amarr.

Cheers!