These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Market Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

No more PLEX-for-PLEX alts

Author
Demolishar
United Aggression
#1 - 2012-10-29 16:42:04 UTC
This will reduce character farming for chars to sell on Bazaar.
This will reduce alt-proliferation of "PLEX-only" players.
This will increase amount of PLEX entering in-game economy as PLEX will only be created when someone pays with cash to sub their account.

So in theory, massive PLEX price crash in 3... 2... 1...
Shari Xor
Deep Space X Collective - Red Scorpion Squad
#2 - 2012-10-29 17:15:14 UTC
Demolishar wrote:

This will increase amount of PLEX entering in-game economy as PLEX will only be created when someone pays with cash to sub their account.

could you pls explain this? i d think its the other way around. less plex in the market -> price increases
Demolishar
United Aggression
#3 - 2012-10-29 17:22:26 UTC
Shari Xor wrote:
Demolishar wrote:

could you pls explain this? i d think its the other way around. less plex in the market -> price increases

In old system when you want to make an alt, you buddy invite yourself, pay with PLEX and get the PLEX back. Net result, +1 PLEX, -1 PLEX = 0 PLEX. No real overall effect.

New system, if you wanted an alt, you'd have to pay with real cash. No PLEX is used up, but a PLEX enters the game. Hence +1 PLEX.
Dave stark
#4 - 2012-10-29 18:40:44 UTC
that may be the case, however if plex prices fall then less people will buy plex with irl cash to sell for isk. hence the plex price will go back up again as supply falls.

it's by no means a sure fire way that plex prices will come down.
Demolishar
United Aggression
#5 - 2012-10-29 19:20:47 UTC
That may be so, but with the combined impact of both this change and the FW change reducing demand, it is likely that PLEX prices will reach a new equillibrium at a lower price level than they are currently at.
Minister Man
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2012-10-29 20:05:23 UTC
Just curious, where do they say this is happening? Just want to read what they say as your explanation is not very effective for me.

Thanks
Rebecca Cairn
Imperial Corrections Service.
#7 - 2012-10-29 20:19:30 UTC
Minister Man wrote:
Just curious, where do they say this is happening? Just want to read what they say as your explanation is not very effective for me.

Thanks

http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=73471
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#8 - 2012-10-29 21:16:21 UTC
Demolishar wrote:

In old system when you want to make an alt, you buddy invite yourself, pay with PLEX and get the PLEX back. Net result, +1 PLEX, -1 PLEX = 0 PLEX. No real overall effect.

New system, if you wanted an alt, you'd have to pay with real cash. No PLEX is used up, but a PLEX enters the game. Hence +1 PLEX.

Or:

New system, if you wanted an alt, you'd give a PLEX to the alt and claim 30 days play time as a reward. One PLEX is used up, but no PLEX enters the game. Hence -1 PLEX.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Demolishar
United Aggression
#9 - 2012-10-29 22:06:20 UTC
Vincent Athena wrote:

Or:

New system, if you wanted an alt, you'd give a PLEX to the alt and claim 30 days play time as a reward. One PLEX is used up, but no PLEX enters the game. Hence -1 PLEX.

I've considered that possibility, but I feel that the -1 PLEX and the 30 days will cancel out as there is a PLEX not being used for gametime that would have been otherwise. Unless of course, people are willing to sub far, far into the future. Personally this is not something I do.
GreenSeed
#10 - 2012-10-29 22:18:02 UTC
this will have 0 effect on character farms, you dont plex new characters, you plex accounts. they already have the accounts and dont need more.

when you transfer you transfer the character, the account remains with you with 0 characters.
Darrien Hawkins
Doomheim
#11 - 2012-10-29 23:03:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Darrien Hawkins
I don't see this having a huge effect on me personally. Before the change it cost me nothing to get 51 days of training time; after the change it will still cost me nothing (effectively). I will just have to be more mindful of how, when and why I do it.

It will just make things more complicated. Ugh
Val'Dore
PlanetCorp InterStellar
#12 - 2012-10-30 01:20:34 UTC
This is a funny topic.

Star Jump Drive A new way to traverse the galaxy.

I invented Tiericide

Cathrine Carlile
Excession Events in Pie
#13 - 2012-10-30 06:15:04 UTC
Demolishar wrote:
This will reduce character farming for chars to sell on Bazaar.
This will reduce alt-proliferation of "PLEX-only" players.

The amount of PLEX entering the game will remain the same...

Buddy program alts comsume one plex and output one plex, meaning that the amount of PLEX in the game remain the same..

1-1+1 = 1

The buddy program doesn't increase the amount of alts for plex-only players per se... It may increase the amount of temporary alts, but the long-term amount of alt remains the same, since they'd have to pay in $$ or isk after the first 51 days.

And in any case, who cares? More plex-consumers = more isk for plex sellers.

The prices of plex is not due to massive amount of alts popping up all of the sudden (in my opinion, cool your horses).
It's market manipulation.
Samroski
Middle-Earth
#14 - 2012-10-30 09:05:59 UTC
Previously: 2 plex were used. One of these was conjured out of air- not bought from the market.

Now: 2 plex will be used. (or one PLEX used, and new character paid for by other means)

Thus demand for PLEX likely to increase.

Think there may be many confounding variables that I am missing :)

Any colour you like.

Aine Ni
Doomheim
#15 - 2012-10-30 13:17:23 UTC
Samroski wrote:
Previously: 2 plex were used. One of these was conjured out of air- not bought from the market.

Now: 2 plex will be used. (or one PLEX used, and new character paid for by other means)

Thus demand for PLEX likely to increase.

Think there may be many confounding variables that I am missing :)

Nope - that is right Big smile
Demolishar
United Aggression
#16 - 2012-10-30 13:32:47 UTC
ITT: People with PLEX stockpiles trying to drive up price using flawed logic.
Dave stark
#17 - 2012-10-30 17:18:47 UTC
Demolishar wrote:
ITT: People with PLEX stockpiles trying to drive up price using flawed logic.

seems it's working, last month a plex was just under 550m, got my "your account is running out" email yesterday and plex are at nearly 600m, plex is going up that's for sure.
Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#18 - 2012-10-31 13:27:04 UTC
Val'Dore wrote:
This is a funny topic.

yup

I should buy an Ishtar.

Demolishar
United Aggression
#19 - 2012-11-01 16:20:41 UTC
Daniel Plain wrote:
Val'Dore wrote:
This is a funny topic.

yup

yup but was worth a try
Jesuis Cache-Cache
#20 - 2012-11-02 09:54:58 UTC
Vincent Athena wrote:

I assume this is the way it will remain? We will still get the 30 days added to the main account?

"I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the time he killed himself." - Johnny CarsonĀ 

12Next page