These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Need some skill planning help please

Author
Maken Marrishi
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1 - 2012-10-29 11:02:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Maken Marrishi
Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Question 1

I've been trying to pick an alliance warfare capable ship to work towards, in order to clear up my messy skill planning. I set the following requirements for the skill plan for the ship:

1. Skill plan must allow for good solo lowsec/nullsec roaming fits.
  2. Ditto for small gang PvP (this will be my main focus).
  3. *Eventually* leads on to alliance warfare capable ship/s.

Doing some research on the interwebs the Drake, Hurricane and Tengu were suggested as good alliance warfare ships. I chose the drake because it seems relatively cheap, I am Caldari (slightly less training time) and I like Caldari hulls (in general).

Will the Drake perform well in solo PvP and small gangs?

Question 2

Are there any decent PvP ship fits I can use between frigates and the Drake? Can any of these perform well at solo PvP? The Caracal seems like a natural stepping stone to a Drake, however, I haven't been reading very good things about it.

Question 3

Some of the stuff I have read has suggested that you should have mostly L4 skills and few specific L5s before starting to use a Drake for PvP. I threw thermodynamics in there as well as I thought I should have it. What are people's opinions of this?

Question 4

My skill plan is displayed below. Can anyone spot glaring mistakes?

Navigation IV
Afterburner IV
Signature Analysis IV
Shield Operation IV
Shield Management IV
Shield Upgrades IV
Acceleration Control II
Acceleration Control III
Acceleration Control IV
Caldari Frigate IV
Spaceship Command IV
Launcher Rigging I
Launcher Rigging II
Launcher Rigging III
Shield Rigging II
Shield Rigging III
Drones Rigging I
Drones Rigging II
Drones Rigging III
Energy Grid Upgrades IV
Weapon Upgrades IV
Electronics Upgrades IV
Evasive Maneuvering IV
Energy Management IV
Energy Systems Operation IV
Warp Drive Operation IV
Fuel Conservation IV
High Speed Maneuvering IV
Propulsion Jamming III
Propulsion Jamming IV
Long Range Targeting III
Long Range Targeting IV
Targeting III
Targeting IV
Missile Launcher Operation IV
Light Missiles III
Missile Bombardment IV
Missile Projection II
Missile Projection III
Missile Projection IV
Rapid Launch III
Rapid Launch IV
Target Navigation Prediction III
Target Navigation Prediction IV
Warhead Upgrades I
Warhead Upgrades II
Warhead Upgrades III
Warhead Upgrades IV
Missile Launcher Operation V
Guided Missile Precision I
Guided Missile Precision II
Guided Missile Precision III
Guided Missile Precision IV
Drones II
Drones III
Drones IV
Drones V
Scout Drone Operation I
Scout Drone Operation II
Scout Drone Operation III
Scout Drone Operation IV
Scout Drone Operation V
Combat Drone Operation I
Combat Drone Operation II
Combat Drone Operation III
Combat Drone Operation IV
Drone Interfacing I
Drone Interfacing II
Drone Interfacing III
Drone Interfacing IV
Drone Navigation I
Drone Navigation II
Drone Navigation III
Drone Navigation IV
Drone Durability I
Drone Durability II
Drone Durability III
Drone Durability IV
Gallente Drone Specialization I
Gallente Drone Specialization II
Minmatar Drone Specialization I
Minmatar Drone Specialization II
Engineering V
Science IV
Thermodynamics I
Thermodynamics II
Thermodynamics III
Assault Missiles I
Assault Missiles II
Assault Missiles III
Assault Missiles IV
Assault Missiles V
Assault Missile Specialization I
Jury Rigging IV
Caldari Cruiser I
Caldari Cruiser II
Caldari Cruiser III
Battlecruisers I
Battlecruisers II
Weapon Upgrades V
Advanced Weapon Upgrades I
Advanced Weapon Upgrades II
Advanced Weapon Upgrades III

Roughly 3 months of training in total.
Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#2 - 2012-10-29 12:30:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Louis deGuerre
I expect that the Drake and Tengu will go out of favour with the upcoming expansion due to missile changes.
The Hurricane will get nerfed too but not as bad.
Minmatar ships and projectiles will still be the best overall. I'd train for Rifter, Hugginn, Maelstrom and Tornado instead. Also logistics, especially Scimitar.
Before training anything train up your basic skills. Check the link in my sig for a guide.
Don't train L5 skills unless you really need to (for example Weapon Upgrades V to get to Advanced Weapon Upgrades). L4 is plenty usually and you can train 10 L4 skills in the time it takes to train one skill from 4 to 5.
Eternal Montage
Myriad Sequence
#3 - 2012-10-29 14:17:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Eternal Montage
I'll answer what I know.

1. The drake is great in gangs, very reliable and very common so you tend not to get primaried because it has a big tank and somewhat low DPS so you can blend in very well. As for solo, I think it's just a bit too slow and basic. Though people do solo in it, I think soloing is much better done in a cruiser sized ship or smaller. A big part of soloing is being able to choose your fights and control your engagements--battlecruisers just aren't optimal IMO. I solo a lot and when I fly a battlecruiser I'm too slow to catch smaller soloing ships and I'm too slow to escape or engage a gang without simply brawling them all at once and I'm definitely too slow to escape a gate camp.

2. This is actually the problem with Caldari. Not many good solo ships asside from the dual MASB merlin and it's assault frigate brothers, and the interceptors. Though there is one ship I find perfect for learning/soloing, but you're not going to like it. The Moa is a vastly underrated ship. Here's a decent fit http://eve.battleclinic.com/loadout/33225-Dont-rule-out-the-MOA.html. It's nice and quick, it does decent DPS, has a very decent tank, and a neut to give you an edge. This is a good ship to learn on, though it lacks in damage projection--you will need to isolate targets and then commit to a degree (it should have the speed to do so). Problem is that you need hybrid turret skills. So if this doesn't sound appealing to you I'd wait for Retribution to re-tweak some ships; namely the Caracal (which is useless at the moment) and fly that. Or fly the new destroyer.

3. Thermodynamics is a must. If you aren't heating every fight you're not doing it right. In general there are too many skills for me to be able to go through them one by one. Find me in game and I'll help you, otherwise talk to someone who knows whats up and they'll give you the list of essentials. Some things you definitely NEED to have at level V. As a rule of thumb, make sure everything on your ship is t2!

4. It looks pretty good but don't be afraid to bend. Also, get battlecruisers to 5--this is one of those skills. Also consider using remaps strategically if you have any.

EDIT: You can of course solo in t3 battlecruisers (talos + tornado, maybe a naga I don't know), though they handle like HACs and for all intents and purposes are NOT battlecruisers (they are only by name).

Maybe consider cross training to another race for certain ships or train hybrid turrets to supplement your thirst for solo roaming