These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Louis's epic Overview Settings v1.1

Author
Myrkala
Royal Robot Ponies
#21 - 2012-06-17 00:01:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Myrkala
Very nice Louis!

I am currently gathering information and data to write a simple application for generating Overview XMLs with a simple, easy to use UI.

My current plan is to use JavaFX 2.0 as it supplies a very simple way to create nice looking and fast UIs quickly, since I am not that experienced with app building, however generating a simple XML shouldn't be a problem. (Java FX also means it can be run as a web application.)

I am also going to look how enhancing all the in-game settings would be possible, such as overview background colors they don´t seem to be part of the overview settings which is kind of saddening...

I hope CCP incorporates it into the XMLs instead of it being buried somewhere else in the game cache´s dat files.

Tau Cabalander wrote:
This looks interesting, though I miss the original UI Editor that had a lot more options:
http://highsecdropouts.com/overview/index.php?page=generator

That looks nice, however I don't like how you have to enter an email address...
Sin Pew
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#22 - 2012-06-17 08:37:26 UTC
Myrkala wrote:
Very nice Louis!

I am currently gathering information and data to write a simple application for generating Overview XMLs with a simple, easy to use UI.

My current plan is to use JavaFX 2.0 as it supplies a very simple way to create nice looking and fast UIs quickly, since I am not that experienced with app building, however generating a simple XML shouldn't be a problem. (Java FX also means it can be run as a web application.)

I am also going to look how enhancing all the in-game settings would be possible, such as overview background colors they don´t seem to be part of the overview settings which is kind of saddening...

I hope CCP incorporates it into the XMLs instead of it being buried somewhere else in the game cache´s dat files.
You may want to have a look at this reply in another thread, if I didn't misunderstand your question.
Myrkala wrote:
Tau Cabalander wrote:
This looks interesting, though I miss the original UI Editor that had a lot more options:
http://highsecdropouts.com/overview/index.php?page=generator

That looks nice, however I don't like how you have to enter an email address...
Neither do I, actually, I didn't like the idea of providing a character Name and e-mail, so I tried to obtain the xml file by providing a temporary adress, but since the guy is too busy IRL, redirector expired already. :shrug:

[i]"haiku are easy, But sometimes they don't make sense, Refrigerator."[/i]

Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#23 - 2012-06-17 22:51:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Louis deGuerre
Myrkala wrote:
Very nice Louis!

Thanks P
Good luck with your plan. The problem always is, as the maker of the generator that has been discussed found out, is keeping it up to date and accurate. Perhaps an open source would be best ?

I might play with this a bit and make 2 versions, a plain and a pimped one. Won't happen soon but maybe by the next expansion Bear
Myrkala
Royal Robot Ponies
#24 - 2012-06-18 01:41:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Myrkala
Louis deGuerre wrote:
Myrkala wrote:
Very nice Louis!

Thanks P
Good luck with your plan. The problem always is, as the maker of the generator that has been discussed found out, is keeping it up to date and accurate. Perhaps an open source would be best ?

I might play with this a bit and make 2 versions, a plain and a pimped one. Won't happen soon but maybe by the next expansion Bear

I did find a quick way to find "new" stuff that is added to the filters.

1. Export an overview that shows everything to XML.
2. Extract only the groupIDs from the filter onto a single line, separated by commas and surrounded by parentheses. (Can be done with a simple script.)
3. Import the values as a table into the latest static data dump SQL of EVE, lets call it overviewIds (give it its own auto incremental PK)
4. Run this SQL query:

select categoryName, groupName, invTypes.groupID from invTypes,invGroups,overviewIDs, invcategories where invTypes.groupID=invGroups.groupID and invTypes.groupID=overviewids.typeID and invcategories.categoryID = invgroups.categoryID
group by invTypes.groupID
order by categoryName

It should give you a nice list showing category name (e.g. Ship), group name (e.g. Logistics) and finally group ID as columns, the MySQL workbench allows you to export it as CSV ect. for easy parsing by a program.

I actually think the client exporter actually exports the items in the same order as they appear in the client so for shorter lists like the "Player is in my Corporation" states checklist you can just compare the exported XML IDs with what is shown in the client.

If you code it smart it shouldn't be that big of a problem... I think. Cool I would probably make it open source if I decided to go ahead with it.

Oh and actually, while snooping around I found a guy from PL, suid0 that is making a new generator. Its a PHP based web application and you can download the xml file directly too.

Check out his thread:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=121275&find=unread

Direct link to generator: (Be warned though, suid0 has said this is ALPHA version so use with care...)

http://www.suid0.org/overview/

PS.

I'm surprised CCP hasn't made some default ones with color enhancement and added proper support for it, it really helps increase readability imho...
Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#25 - 2012-07-15 09:54:10 UTC
*bump* to prevent locking
Papa Sotken
Nothing Comes To Mind
Trigger Happy.
#26 - 2012-07-30 02:15:29 UTC
Thanks for this post was exactly what i was looking for. All of my overview tabs nicely done with little hassle to me.

I spent hours doing it myself and they sucked.

Zebra Corp

Gabriel Silk
Elder Race of Man
#27 - 2012-08-20 04:43:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Gabriel Silk
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Big smile

Papa Sotken wrote:
I spent hours doing it myself and they sucked.
What he said!

A life without adventure is likely to be unsatisfying, but a life in which adventure is allowed to take whatever form it will is sure to be short. ~ Bertrand Russell  

Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#28 - 2012-09-12 08:41:27 UTC
Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#29 - 2012-10-06 16:26:03 UTC
Addicted2Space
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#30 - 2012-10-28 21:44:21 UTC
I've been using your overview settings for a few days, great job btw. But i tried to edit something in "drones" tab yesterday and it didn't work. I tried to modify the settings in order to see on that tab only drones and the sun, i deselected some tabs in filters but it doesn't work. Any suggestions please?
Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#31 - 2012-10-28 23:47:32 UTC
Addicted2Space wrote:
I've been using your overview settings for a few days, great job btw. But i tried to edit something in "drones" tab yesterday and it didn't work. I tried to modify the settings in order to see on that tab only drones and the sun, i deselected some tabs in filters but it doesn't work. Any suggestions please?

Open overview settings.
Filters.
Select Battle Drones filter.
Deselect All
Celestial -> Sun
Rightclick Drone tab -> Select All
Save current filter as 'Drones and Sun'
In Overview Tabs select 'Drones and Sun' as Overview Profile.
Apply

Only (enemy) Drones and the sun should show in that overview tab.

If you want to see all drones, before saving go to states and select all the Pilot is bla options.

Addicted2Space
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#32 - 2012-10-29 10:54:41 UTC
Thanks mate, it works perfectly.
Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#33 - 2012-11-16 21:45:12 UTC
*Bump to prevent locking*
Salpad
Carebears with Attitude
#34 - 2012-11-18 08:58:59 UTC
Where is the Mining tab you talked about? I've just downloaded and imported the inferno version, which presumably is the latest one, and I thought there'd be a mining tab, but there isn't.

Is there a limit allowing no more than 5 Overview tabs?

If not, I suggest a couple more tabs added:

Fast Travel
shows only stargates and the sun (because sometimes you may want to warp to the sun). That's to reduce the Overview clutter to an absolute minimum

Show Friends
For logistics pilots, e.g. during Incursions.
Sin Pew
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#35 - 2012-11-18 10:17:42 UTC
You can't have more than 5 tabs, you need to switch the overview profiles on the desired tab and if you crave to modify the label, it can be done via the overview settings.
The inferno settings might be the latest but CCP has already added salvages drones to the overview and it's not selected by default in Louis' settings, so it's somewhat ready to use, but you still have to do some tinkering at times to adjust the settings to your own taste.

[i]"haiku are easy, But sometimes they don't make sense, Refrigerator."[/i]

Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#36 - 2012-11-18 13:01:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Louis deGuerre
Salpad wrote:
Where is the Mining tab you talked about? I've just downloaded and imported the inferno version, which presumably is the latest one, and I thought there'd be a mining tab, but there isn't.

Is there a limit allowing no more than 5 Overview tabs?

If not, I suggest a couple more tabs added:

Fast Travel
shows only stargates and the sun (because sometimes you may want to warp to the sun). That's to reduce the Overview clutter to an absolute minimum

Show Friends
For logistics pilots, e.g. during Incursions.

Sin Pew wrote:
You can't have more than 5 tabs, you need to switch the overview profiles on the desired tab and if you crave to modify the label, it can be done via the overview settings.

There are mining filters which you can assign to any overview tab.
The default filters under the 'travel' tab are indeed a bit cluttered in some instances like when a system has very many stations. I will include a 'fast travel' in the next release.
There are 'friendly ships' filters included, but as I explained it has not been possible to exclude neutrals from them for 2 years now. I will include a Fleet Only filter in the next release.

Sin Pew wrote:
The inferno settings might be the latest but CCP has already added salvages drones to the overview and it's not selected by default in Louis' settings, so it's somewhat ready to use, but you still have to do some tinkering at times to adjust the settings to your own taste.

I did not realize that was already on Tranquility ? *Checks* You are right Cool You can't actually buy them yet ofc P Quess they are playing with it in Jove space. I will make another update after the next release comes out and all CCP changes are final as it is a lot of work. If I can find the time I will also try to make a first 'advanced' one with colour coded overview text.
Goran Konjich
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#37 - 2012-11-18 13:45:55 UTC
Great thread, thanks for posting
As for the generator ... great help, i will try it out. Looks promising P

I'm a diplomat. Sometimes i throw 425mm wide briefcases at enemy. Such is EVE.

Taliah Meyhin
#38 - 2012-12-01 19:51:29 UTC
Great Work.
It's always nice to see tools that helps making overview customization easier.
Salpad
Carebears with Attitude
#39 - 2012-12-01 22:11:27 UTC
I'd like a mission label, which shows mission rats as well as jetcans, because in many missions, the item you have to retrieve is jettisoned in a can when you kill the relevant rat ship.

Either the mission label should also show the kind of structure that you sometimes have to destroy (drone bunker, repair station, whatever), or else there should be a separate label to make that visible along with the usual mission stuff, because it's irrelevant for many missions.
Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#40 - 2012-12-02 11:26:42 UTC
Salpad wrote:
I'd like a mission label, which shows mission rats as well as jetcans, because in many missions, the item you have to retrieve is jettisoned in a can when you kill the relevant rat ship.

Either the mission label should also show the kind of structure that you sometimes have to destroy (drone bunker, repair station, whatever), or else there should be a separate label to make that visible along with the usual mission stuff, because it's irrelevant for many missions.

You make good points. I recently did some missions again and spend some time looking for the mission objectives myself P
I will look into this very soon.