These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

eSports in EVE Online

Author
Seismic Stan
Freebooted Junkworks
#1 - 2012-10-27 11:00:24 UTC
There is no finer spectacle in the universe of EVE Online than the explosive dance of weapon-laden spaceships in combat. The yearly Alliance Tournament is the jewel in EVE Online's eSports crown and the upcoming New Eden Open should deliver the same gladiatorial entertainment showcase.

Given the scope of the sandbox, what part should eSports play in EVE Online and what other formats could provide internet spaceship entertainment for spectators and participants alike?
Diesel47
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#2 - 2012-10-27 11:12:13 UTC
eSports... LOL.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#3 - 2012-10-27 11:13:00 UTC
They had some vaguely formulated plans on making Dust an in-game sport in EVE…
Ivy Romanova
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#4 - 2012-10-27 11:16:12 UTC
eSPort lol
Thats even worse than watching hamster races

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ DAMN THIS    SIGNATURE    IS FANCY ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

TriadSte
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2012-10-27 11:21:49 UTC
I do not believe it will be any good if I'm honest for these reasons. The biggest audience for this kind of thing is FPS games. The format works because every player has access to the same things. Then it is down to raw skill to how he uses those items around the playfield to score the win.

Eve I cannot see taking off like this because there will be alot of boring fights. Fights will no doubt be totally miss matched. If there is a 1 on 1 both lets say in Hurricanes It then comes down to fit skills and who has the most SP.

Fully maxed cane Vs mediocre skilled cane = 1 winner only [unless the maxed guy is an idiot] = boring to watch

You could say this is the reason why Kil2s videos are all kinds of win. You don't know what he's gonna come up against so that alone gives it the excitement factor and keeps people like me glued to his videos.
Silk daShocka
Greasy Hair Club
#6 - 2012-10-27 11:24:52 UTC
I've been going to the gym for awhile in preparation for the market 0.01 isk e-sport tourney

I think I will be a contender.
Akirei Scytale
Okami Syndicate
#7 - 2012-10-27 11:32:12 UTC
Seismic Stan wrote:
There is no finer spectacle in the universe of EVE Online than the explosive dance of weapon-laden spaceships in combat. The yearly Alliance Tournament is the jewel in EVE Online's eSports crown and the upcoming New Eden Open should deliver the same gladiatorial entertainment showcase.

Given the scope of the sandbox, what part should eSports play in EVE Online and what other formats could provide internet spaceship entertainment for spectators and participants alike?

EVE != SC2. It is pretty much the opposite of spectator friendly.
Ivy Romanova
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#8 - 2012-10-27 11:37:29 UTC
the problem with EVE is , its a continued struggle for supremacy.
If you just put 10 guys in a room and tell them to fight, its nothing more than just watching goldfishes brawling.
EVE is a marathon, not a sprint.
And eSport NEEDS to be sprints for the drama factor.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ DAMN THIS    SIGNATURE    IS FANCY ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Samroski
Middle-Earth
#9 - 2012-10-27 12:16:41 UTC
Capture the Flag could be great fun in Eve.

Any colour you like.

Feer Truelight
#10 - 2012-10-27 12:18:15 UTC
EVE has NO environment to harbor eSports in any form.

8/7/2006 3:39:36 PM UTC FreeCCP Promotional Game Time 7 Days Paid

6/1/2012 5:48:57 PM UTC PayPal 1 x 1 Month EVE Subscription + Signup €19.95 Paid

CCP took 6 years to convert me to a (still) paying subscriber :)

Xiode
Nemesis Logistics
Goonswarm Federation
#11 - 2012-10-27 12:37:35 UTC
I always activate my cloak and watch other people shooting each other. It's fascinating.
Kult Altol
The Safe Space
#12 - 2012-10-27 17:47:16 UTC
Errrrrhmagrrrrrrd Errrspeeerts.

Eve is a terrible Esport, spectators have no clue how much time was wasted getting those mediocre skills up.

[u]Can't wait untill when Eve online is Freemium.[/u] WiS only 10$, SP booster for one month 15$, DPS Boost 2$, EHP Boost 2$ Real money trading hub! Cosmeitic ship skins 15$ --> If you don't [u]pay **[/u]for a product, you ARE the [u]**product[/u].

Amsterdam Conversations
Doomheim
#13 - 2012-10-27 18:38:11 UTC
Esports in Eve? Lol

Maybe if they can properly balance all the ships in this game, which we all know will never happen. Eve is an awesome game, but it has as much in common with Esports as cars with olympics.
Beekeeper Bob
Beekeepers Anonymous
#14 - 2012-10-27 18:45:29 UTC
"The yearly Alliance Tournament is the joke in EVE Online's eSports crown"

Fixed that for you.....

Signature removed - CCP Eterne

Vaal Erit
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#15 - 2012-10-27 19:16:18 UTC
Esports bleh, Alliance tournament somewhat bleh.

I'd pay to watch a thunderdome EVE tournament in which they drop every team without warning into a 50km cage and mass chaos ensues. That is more the spirit of eve gameplay really.
Barrogh Habalu
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#16 - 2012-10-27 19:45:29 UTC
I think we already had a nice thread on the matter...
Tl;dr: won't happen.
No More Heroes
Boomer Humor
Snuffed Out
#17 - 2012-10-27 19:48:02 UTC
Everyone interested in esports in Eve Online please view the bio of fpshacker read the bio carefully and then share with us your thoughts on esports.

Bane Necran
Appono Astos
#18 - 2012-10-27 19:48:47 UTC
I think all the League of Legends players constantly talking about how skilled they are has set eSports back at least a decade.

"In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence, the Way has existence, spirit is nothingness." ~Miyamoto Musashi

J Kunjeh
#19 - 2012-10-27 20:13:45 UTC
A bunch of cynical, Eve-douches in here....lawdy.

I for one can't wait to see this tournament, and the many, many more to follow. I'm a huge fan of the Alliance Tournament and feel that eSports will be great for Eve.

"The world as we know it came about through an anomaly (anomou)" (The Gospel of Philip, 1-5) 

Beekeeper Bob
Beekeepers Anonymous
#20 - 2012-10-27 20:21:08 UTC
J Kunjeh wrote:
A bunch of cynical, Eve-douches in here....lawdy.

I for one can't wait to see this tournament, and the many, many more to follow. I'm a huge fan of the Alliance Tournament and feel that eSports will be great for Eve.

I'm unclear as to how a Tournament that can be fixed before hand would be good "Esport"?
The very nature of the game dictates that any money tournament will be fixed and manipulated from the start.
Anything less, wouldn't be EVE...Cool

Signature removed - CCP Eterne

12Next page