These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Conversation spam

First post First post
Author
GM Homonoia
Game Master Retirement Home
#61 - 2012-10-26 13:23:04 UTC
Major Annoyance wrote:
GM Homonoia wrote:
This has been discussed and the GMs in question made a mistake. They were acting on out of date knowledge. Mistakes happen and GMs are not perfect. This is also the point where I have to remind people that you are not allowed to share GM responses as that is considered to be a private communication between CCP and that individual. We always try to be lenient, but if this sort of thing starts to cause undue unrest we may end up having to enforce those rules.

If you have discussed this, then why don't you post the result along with the reasons for your decisions?

Because internal decision making is not up for external discussion (on top of that, this is a process that happens every single day; we do not have the time and resources to discuss this sort of thing on our forums). Also, personnel performance and evaluation is definitely not something that should be discussed outside the people that are involved. That is the sort of thing that leads to breaches of privacy and nonsensical witch hunts.

Major Annoyance wrote:

GM Homonoia wrote:
This is also the point where I have to remind people that you are not allowed to share GM responses as that is considered to be a private communication between CCP and that individual. We always try to be lenient, but if this sort of thing starts to cause undue unrest we may end up having to enforce those rules.

Is this meant to be a threat against me?

Of course not, that would be silly.

Senior GM Homonoia | Info Group | Senior Game Master

S'No Flake
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#62 - 2012-10-26 13:34:58 UTC
GM Homonoia wrote:
Chribba wrote:
How will we know who initiated the "spam" though, should we petition ever pilot trying to open a convo a the time or how's the though proceedure?

/c

Just file a single petition stating where and when you were when it happened and we will figure out the rest. We can see exactly who did this and we will act accordingly.

I hope this means you are only logging the chat request and not what people talk.
Right?

Chiimera
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#63 - 2012-10-26 13:37:29 UTC
Thanks for answering my post GM Homonoia... oh wait nevermind.
GM Homonoia
#64 - 2012-10-26 13:40:28 UTC
Chiimera wrote:

I didn't see a question in there, simply a stated opinion. If you want me to answer a question feel free to post it and I shall try and answer it if it lies within my jurisdiction.

Chiimera
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#65 - 2012-10-26 13:59:12 UTC
GM Homonoia wrote:
Chiimera wrote:

I didn't see a question in there, simply a stated opinion. If you want me to answer a question feel free to post it and I shall try and answer it if it lies within my jurisdiction.

What I am saying is, players are trying to tell you GM's there is an issue and convo spamming still works, you are telling us you are looking into it but at the same time GM's are telling people in petitions there isn't a problem and they aren't going to get reimbursed.

Should I have put a question mark on it? If I make a statement and you disagree then please let me know. If you agree with my previous statement then tell me you are going to do something about it.
Tiberu Stundrif
Nifty Idustries
Pandemic Horde
#66 - 2012-10-26 14:26:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Tiberu Stundrif
I remember a day and age when the customer was always right and was dealt with fairly and openly. CCP is wrong on this and they have sent out a statement stating the opposite of reality. "But we fixed it already!" is not an answer.

I suggest your statement should have read something simple like this,

"We have noticed the convo-spam tactic can degrade gameplay of the recipient. While we investigate this, all petitions regarding this will be put on hold and players will be update as often as possible with the ongoing results of the investigation. We suggest you block all communications while in fleet until we come up with a fix. Thanks."

Instead you come out and blame the players instead. Poor Public Relations, guys.

I guess this doesn't surprise me coming from a company that has a long history of shooting first and asking questions later.

Being condescending to us about, "noobs you should have had black all chats during fleets duh" is very dismissive of a valid player concern.
Sir Marksalot
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#67 - 2012-10-26 14:36:32 UTC
Tiberu Stundrif wrote:
I remember a day and age when the customer was always right and was dealt with fairly and openly.

Oh god if only I could shoot blues.
GM Homonoia
#68 - 2012-10-26 14:57:04 UTC
Chiimera wrote:
GM Homonoia wrote:
Chiimera wrote:

What I am saying is, players are trying to tell you GM's there is an issue and convo spamming still works, you are telling us you are looking into it but at the same time GM's are telling people in petitions there isn't a problem and they aren't going to get reimbursed.

Should I have put a question mark on it? If I make a statement and you disagree then please let me know. If you agree with my previous statement then tell me you are going to do something about it.

Unfortunately verifying this is not something a GM can do. We have collected all available information and informed those who can make a difference on the matter. Until there is some verification we can only act on the information that we do have. I also have to remind people that this issue does not just stand by itself. In most cases there are many more factors involved, any of which could invalidate reimbursement even if an exploit was used. The use of an exploit does not mean that if the exploit was not used that a ship would have naturally survived. These are not black and white situations.

GM Homonoia
#69 - 2012-10-26 15:01:31 UTC  |  Edited by: GM Homonoia
I am going to comment on only one particular comment here, the rest will be too off topic or require a much more in depth explanation than I can give here.

Tiberu Stundrif wrote:
I remember a day and age when the customer was always right and was dealt with fairly and openly.

This has never been true for EVE Online and it cannot be true. This is the type of stance that may work for some business models, but EVE is a competitive game. In any service where customers are in direct conflict you can NEVER apply that principle.

The wishes of a customer must always yield to the needs of the community as a whole. This means that any GM must remain absolutely impartial and must treat every player in a fair and equal manner. The only way this can be achieved is to set up guidelines and abide by them, even if it really angers a single customer.

We also cannot act under full disclosure. We have privacy laws and concerns to deal with as well as security concerns. Game masters especially must be very careful in how and what they communicate.

Aurthes
Shadow State
Goonswarm Federation
#70 - 2012-10-26 17:14:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Aurthes
Questions GM Homonoia

1. How many GMs/Developers play Eve? Do you play Eve?

2. It seems odd that this test for lag (even after auto-reject) is involving a lot of bureaucracy. You seem to be saying that it needs to be referred back to some committee that will report back to you in some distant time in the future, hopefully after people forget about it. It seems pretty simple to test. Just go on the server and ask people to convo-spam you. It could even be automated.

3. Could it be that regardless of the lag question, the real answer is that you don't want to reimburse because it is too complex, and therefore #2 is a red herring? or that policing convo-spamming is not within your manpower to police w/o a petition? If so, would you fess up to that?
Marlona Sky
State War Academy
Caldari State
#71 - 2012-10-26 17:28:12 UTC
I find it ironic that the very group who abused this the most are the ones crying on the forums when they get a taste of their own medicine. Don't throw rocks from a glass house.
GM Homonoia
#72 - 2012-10-26 17:29:02 UTC  |  Edited by: GM Homonoia
Aurthes wrote:
Questions GM Homonoia

1. How many GMs/Developers play Eve? Do you play Eve?

How many? No clue, but there are relatively many GMs that play. Personally I do play.

Aurthes wrote:

2. It seems odd that this test for lag (even after auto-reject) is involving a lot of bureaucracy. You seem to be saying that it needs to be referred back to some committee that will report back to you in some distant time in the future, hopefully after people forget about it. It seems pretty simple to test. Just go on the server and ask people to convo-spam you. It could even be automated.

It simply isn't that easy. Could I do what you suggest? Yes, but that would not yield any useful data. It simply proves that "something" happened. It may also result in inaccurate data. What is causing it? Distance to the server? Internet lag? Client lag? Is computer hardware a factor? If we take 100 thin clients and test it on an internal network do we get the same results? What about the effect of timing? Proving "something" happens may be easy, but getting enough data to formulate a policy is a different matter. This needs to be properly tested by people whose job it is to test these things and who can draw some accurate conclusions.

Aurthes wrote:

3. Could it be that regardless of the lag question, the real answer is that you don't want to reimburse because it is too complex, and therefore #2 is a red herring? or that policing convo-spamming is not within your manpower to police w/o a petition? If so, would you fess up to that?

Reimbursing is ALWAYS easier than not reimbursing; trust me on this one. When we decide to not reimburse we have exhausted our options to find a way to offer reimbursement. As for policing convo spamming (and specifically doing so without a petition); we always require a petition. We are very much like the police in the real world; it is very unlikely we will act on a case if no one reports it. We cannot smell the mystical ichor that is released into the ectoplasmic ether when someone acts on a dastardly thought. This does not mean we do not take proactive action, but this focuses mostly on botting and hacker activity; where player interaction is concerned you will have to report it.

Marlona Sky
State War Academy
Caldari State
#73 - 2012-10-26 17:46:49 UTC
usrevenge wrote:
they should have auto reject BASED ON STANDING.

This is actually a very good idea. Then again I could vomits out, "Stop dumbing down EVE!" like what I see being used against ideas that better the gaming experience.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#74 - 2012-10-26 18:25:31 UTC
Honestly I think we might have a better time with this if we completely bypass the whole exploit/GM thing and instead appeal to devs to have conversation request blocking done at the server level, or have no conversation requests sent to a client if there's one pending, or something like that.

Probably better to kill the ability to do it than to tell people they can't do it.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Pechali
The Graduates
The Initiative.
#75 - 2012-10-26 18:58:34 UTC
Marlona Sky wrote:
I find it ironic that the very group who abused this the most are the ones crying on the forums when they get a taste of their own medicine. Don't throw rocks from a glass house.

This may detract from the entertainment value of the irony you infer from the situation, but it will help your understanding of it if you can allow for the fact that "the group" is not one homogeneous mass and sub-groups thereof may not condone, let alone participate in, such actions.

Sir Marksalot
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#76 - 2012-10-26 19:21:05 UTC
Pechali wrote:
Marlona Sky wrote:

This may detract from the entertainment value of the irony you infer from the situation, but it will help your understanding of it if you can allow for the fact that "the group" is not one homogeneous mass and sub-groups thereof may not condone, let alone participate in, such actions.

Anyone even vaguely allied to Goonwaffe in any way is part of the Greater Hivemind that is known as "Goon". We all take our orders from the Hive Queen Richard Lowtax "The Mittani" Kyanka who owns and operates "The Goon".

fakeedit: i learned this reading eve-o
Sir Marksalot
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#77 - 2012-10-26 19:23:57 UTC
GM Homonoia wrote:
I am going to comment on only one particular comment here, the rest will be too off topic or require a much more in depth explanation than I can give here.

Tiberu Stundrif wrote:

This has never been true for EVE Online and it cannot be true. This is the type of stance that may work for some business models, but EVE is a competitive game. In any service where customers are in direct conflict you can NEVER apply that principle.

I love you.
Xolve
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#78 - 2012-10-26 19:51:33 UTC
Xolve wrote:
GM Homonoia wrote:
It is not allowed because it is spam. However, no one should lose a ship specifically because of this. In a fleet fight you should simply have auto-reject enabled. Even if you have not, you will receive 1 popup that does not grab focus and does not prevent you from controlling your client normally. Simply ignore it.

So just for clarifications sake- when was the last time YOU were convo'd by 2-300 people on a non-reinforced node at 10% Time Dilation?

I'm quoting myself so I can get an answer to my 'question', also- why would you post any sort of 'official' (you posted on the forums) response regarding this matter if it is still under investigation, and the people conducting said investigation haven't come to a solid conclusion yet.

I know later you said that many GMs play EVE, but how many GMs actually play the game in the context we are talking about, and if they do, why is nullsec so underutilized, and why has it been since launch?
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#79 - 2012-10-26 19:58:09 UTC
Sir Marksalot wrote:
GM Homonoia wrote:

Tiberu Stundrif wrote:

I love you.

Let's not let one dumb statement detract from the overall message here.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

KIller Wabbit
MEME Thoughts
#80 - 2012-10-26 20:04:17 UTC
GM Homonoia wrote:

Tiberu Stundrif wrote:

The wishes of a customer must always yield to the needs of the community as a whole. This means that any GM must remain absolutely impartial and must treat every player in a fair and equal manner. The only way this can be achieved is to set up guidelines and abide by them, even if it really angers a single customer.

We also cannot act under full disclosure. We have privacy laws and concerns to deal with as well as security concerns. Game masters especially must be very careful in how and what they communicate.

Proof that GM's PvP is finally on the table - they are accomplished gankers. They just don't do it in game.