These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Winter] Attack Cruisers

First post First post
Author
Zyella Stormborn
Green Seekers
#721 - 2012-10-26 01:47:26 UTC
Holy One wrote:
The amount of dumb posted in these threads is astonishing. Truly. Why the hell would you want to fit scram/web on an omen? Or dual reps? Good god. With te's the new omen hits out optimal at 29km with scorch and with heat does 500 dps. Please put scram and web and dual reps on yours m8rs. o7o7o7.

I don't know about the dual reps, but scram / web is maybe so they can't get away? Big smile

There is a special Hell for people like that, Right next to child molestors, and people that talk in the theater. ~Firefly

Aglais
Ice-Storm
#722 - 2012-10-26 02:41:09 UTC
Zyella Stormborn wrote:
Holy One wrote:
The amount of dumb posted in these threads is astonishing. Truly. Why the hell would you want to fit scram/web on an omen? Or dual reps? Good god. With te's the new omen hits out optimal at 29km with scorch and with heat does 500 dps. Please put scram and web and dual reps on yours m8rs. o7o7o7.

I don't know about the dual reps, but scram / web is maybe so they can't get away? Big smile

But you're doing so much kiting that them getting away is hardly an issue. You have them locked down from a distance.
Torei Dutalis
IceBox Inc.
Rogue Caldari Union
#723 - 2012-10-26 06:22:06 UTC
I'm not sure I follow the reduction in shield HP on the thorax. I'd like to hope we've come to the age where blasters can be synonymous with shield tanking and speed. You did give the ship more speed and a fourth mid slot, which is kind of the holy number at which shield tanking becomes viable. The talos turned out to be an excellent ship when shield tanked, and the thorax is like a smaller version of the talos, so why not encourage the same philosophy?
Vilnius Zar
SDC Multi Ten
#724 - 2012-10-26 09:16:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Vilnius Zar
Aglais wrote:
Zyella Stormborn wrote:
Holy One wrote:

But you're doing so much kiting that them getting away is hardly an issue. You have them locked down from a distance.

Show me an omen kiting fit that doesn't run out of cap in 2 minutes while still having some EHP and being fast and agile enough to keep up with the 2200+ m/s updated Thorax.
Bouh Revetoile
In Wreck we thrust
#725 - 2012-10-26 10:02:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Bouh Revetoile
Torei Dutalis wrote:
I'm not sure I follow the reduction in shield HP on the thorax. I'd like to hope we've come to the age where blasters can be synonymous with shield tanking and speed. You did give the ship more speed and a fourth mid slot, which is kind of the holy number at which shield tanking becomes viable. The talos turned out to be an excellent ship when shield tanked, and the thorax is like a smaller version of the talos, so why not encourage the same philosophy?

Or maybe they can fix armor tanking.

PS : I mean, instead of turning any ship into shield tanked one...
Takeshi Yamato
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#726 - 2012-10-26 21:35:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Takeshi Yamato
I did some very focused testing on the new Omen, mostly against the Thorax. I'm getting the impression that the Omen is overpowered. It also has real cap issues whenever MWD or even smalls neuts are involved. On this point, it's too similar to the Maller.

I suggest changing the 5% ROF bonus to a 5% damage bonus. That's a 8.3% turret dps nerf but a 33% laser cap use reduction.
Kai'rae Saarkus
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#727 - 2012-10-27 05:52:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Kai'rae Saarkus
Vilnius Zar wrote:
Aglais wrote:
Zyella Stormborn wrote:
Holy One wrote:

Show me an omen kiting fit that doesn't run out of cap in 2 minutes while still having some EHP and being fast and agile enough to keep up with the 2200+ m/s updated Thorax.

Omen is the slowest of the CLs. It will have trouble kiting any other similarly set up CL: a shield Thorax will run down Omens, pretty well nothing you do will change that 1 v 1. However, it will be able to kite pretty well all CCs (even if the Omen is fit with a 800mm Plate), except for a Shield Tanked Rupture or any other nano'd out shield tanker.

Doing 300 DPS (3/4 DPS for a reasonable fit) it will take you approximately 100 Seconds to burn through 30K EHP (approx 30K EHP is what I'm getting for realistic "Tank" T1 Cruiser fits, 24-27K EHP is more usual for versatile fits). I'm getting > 60 secs Cap life with everything running.

So you've got options: two obvious ones are to either fit a Web in the 3'd Mid-slot to allow you to pulse your MWD and stiff arm with the web (as required) or fit a small cap booster to allow you to keep everything running for over 2 minutes. (Personally I'd go with option A, but acknowledge this is piloting skill intensive and is vulnerable to Neuts).

This, however, is why I like the idea of switching the Omen's ROF Bonus for a straight damage bonus. It'll make the Cap management issues just that little bit less knife edge for only a minor reduction in DPS.
Torei Dutalis
IceBox Inc.
Rogue Caldari Union
#728 - 2012-10-27 06:10:16 UTC
Bouh Revetoile wrote:

From a logical balancing standpoint, absolutely. However, I'm pretty sure there's a "hell freezing over" type of analogy to be used here.
Kai'rae Saarkus
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#729 - 2012-10-27 06:29:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Kai'rae Saarkus
Torei Dutalis wrote:
Bouh Revetoile wrote:

From a logical balancing standpoint, absolutely. However, I'm pretty sure there's a "hell freezing over" type of analogy to be used here.

From the Combat Cruisers thread:

CCP Fozzie wrote:
Alara IonStorm wrote:

CCP Fozzie does CCP have any plans to look into Armor Tanking in any of this expansions releases or have it on the table for expansions to follow? If not, is there much discussion on Armor tanking such as the Talos natural inclination towards players fitting shields along with about 75% of these Cruisers and issues such as this?

We have plans. Can't attach dates to those plans quite yet though, but when we're ready this forum will be the best place to see them.

So, I recommend packing warm clothing for any excursions to Hell. Well at least any planned Soon(Tm).

Although, I'm kinda disappointed that they didn't fix Armour tanking first, like they're doing with missiles. Its easy to imagine an alternative reality where Raivi is being asked this question:
(Alternate Reality) CCP Fozzie wrote:
  • Why are you fixing [Armour tanking] when the problem is really [some] ships?
  • There are some problems with those ships that will need to be solved in time, and we also need to make ships like the [Thorax and Brutix] more viable with [Armour]. But doing that rebalance requires a stable foundation to build upon, and the truth is that [Armout tanking was] skewing the balance of everything [it] touched. The fact that [Armour tanking] is so [weak in small scale PVP] makes balancing through the ships themselves unfeasible. Once we get [Armour tanking] to some semblance of balance we can begin the work of making sure each individual ship is viable without having to go back and redo our work right away to compensate for a midstream [Armour tanking] change.
    Dischordant
    Republic Military School
    Minmatar Republic
    #730 - 2012-10-29 23:00:54 UTC
    Watching Sard Caid fitting the attack cruisers on his stream, the stabber is looking really meh to me now. It's damage projection is great, but it's damage is pretty poor, combined with it fighting in falloff makes it even worse. With 2 gyros 1 TE it was 220 DPS w/ 32km falloff. 3 Gyros was 250 dps/25km falloff.
    It may be worth it to fit missiles to get more dps out of it, leaving it nearly defenceless against frigates, with the lack of drone-bay/neuts then.

The Omen (while having less tank, shield fit) was doing over 300 dps with turrets with a 30km optimal, plus drones, and a very similar looking cap stability while firing guns it seemed.

I'm excited for this change, and I'll be flying the hell out of the stabber, but I'm starting to think it may not stack up against the others.
    Harvey James
    The Sengoku Legacy
    #731 - 2012-10-29 23:19:29 UTC
    Dischordant wrote:
    Watching Sard Caid fitting the attack cruisers on his stream, the stabber is looking really meh to me now. It's damage projection is great, but it's damage is pretty poor, combined with it fighting in falloff makes it even worse. With 2 gyros 1 TE it was 220 DPS w/ 32km falloff. 3 Gyros was 250 dps/25km falloff.
    It may be worth it to fit missiles to get more dps out of it, leaving it nearly defenceless against frigates, with the lack of drone-bay/neuts then.

The Omen (while having less tank, shield fit) was doing over 300 dps with turrets with a 30km optimal, plus drones, and a very similar looking cap stability while firing guns it seemed.

I'm excited for this change, and I'll be flying the hell out of the stabber, but I'm starting to think it may not stack up against the others.

yep the stabber is too much speed not enough gank

T3's need to be versatile so no rigs are necessary ... they should not have OP dps and tank

ABC's should be T2, remove drone assist, separate HAM's and Torps range, -3 HS for droneboats

Nerf web strength, Make the blaster Eagle worth using

Goldensaver
    Maraque Enterprises
    Just let it happen
    #732 - 2012-10-30 02:39:06 UTC
    Dischordant wrote:

Yes, but you never have to engage said Omen. You have a choice, do you engage it, or run away at a significantly higher speed.

Also, it may be worth it to fit missiles to get more DPS. Assuming you fit missiles, you also aren't defenceless against frigates, depending on choice of launcher type. AML's will give you good projection, and increase your damage decently with furies, while taking up minimal fitting space, and making you more effective against frigates. Perhaps not as much as, say, 2 neuts, but it's a question of utility versus damage.

Also, though the Omen greatly out-damages the Stabber at range, you can burn in and dual-neut it. When its cap runs down (and it has a.... fragile cap, from what I've read so far in here), it'll be incapable of fighting back at maximum effectiveness.

And for ships like the Moa, Thorax, etc, you'll out-range them substantially, and you will be free to murder them because you outrun them as well, and they'll never catch you.

It just means you have to pick your engagements, and use your speed to get out of the fights you can't win.
    Sard Caid
    The Tuskers
    The Tuskers Co.
    #733 - 2012-10-30 03:26:36 UTC
    Versus the other attack cruisers, the stabber had the hardest time by far. It is more than capable of neuting down the Omen or Thorax, however their drone DPS can easily turn the fight and force the Stabber to warp off even with the Thorax or Omen completely cap dry and not shooting. The Stabber could also certainly hang at 20-30km and kite a Thorax in a shield fit, but it's not a terribly enjoyable strategy when trying to kill your opponent with ~150-200DPS with a good chance of them slinging into gun range or out of point range.

Adding a fifth turret, or 1-2 light drones to the Stabber would do wonders for the ship's competitiveness, and provide that little extra oomph to get the job done in either fleets or solo engagements.

The Caracal seems incredibly powerful with HAMs versus other cruisers. Given that it has 5 mids, loads of lows for BCU and the fitting to use them, I'd say drop the drone bay. It shouldn't notably change the ships effectiveness while reigning in slightly on its damage potential, which already is quite high with incredible damage projection.

Looking forward to being able to compare these ships versus the combat cruisers in the futureโ„ข Duality release.
    Takeshi Yamato
    Ministry of War
    Amarr Empire
    #734 - 2012-10-30 08:00:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Takeshi Yamato
    The Stabber shouldn't be able to compete in a brawl, otherwise we're back at Winmatar.

It's supposed to be good at hit and runs, kiting and killing frigates. It's absolutely supposed to sit at 20-30 km and slowly kill a Thorax and die horribly if it cannot maintain range. If it could comfortably win in web range with brute force alone then the other non-Minmatar cruisers would be nearly useless as they don't have the same mobility, damage selection, capless guns and utility highslots.
    Mizhir
    Devara Biotech
    #735 - 2012-10-30 11:55:04 UTC
    I almost managed to take a Vagabond in a 1v1 while flying a stabber, so it is definitely not bad, but I agree with Sard Caid that it need a small boost. The split weapon system isn't really supported which is the main weakness of it.

About the Vaga figth: My fit was a shield fit with a TD and 2 RLMLs in utility highs. The figth dragged out as we both did **** dmg and eventually I ran out of cap which gave him the advantage.

โค๏ธ๏ธ๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œ

Meldorn Vaash
    State War Academy
    Caldari State
    #736 - 2012-10-30 17:48:41 UTC
    Takeshi Yamato wrote:
    The Stabber shouldn't be able to compete in a brawl, otherwise we're back at Winmatar.

It's supposed to be good at hit and runs, kiting and killing frigates. It's absolutely supposed to sit at 20-30 km and slowly kill a Thorax and die horribly if it cannot maintain range. If it could comfortably win in web range with brute force alone then the other non-Minmatar cruisers would be nearly useless as they don't have the same mobility, damage selection, capless guns and utility highslots.

It's supposed to be good at hit and runs.
    Agreed... It just a little light on the "Hit" part of the equation.

kiting and killing frigates...
    LOL... go buy destroyers, it's cheaper.This is an ATTACK CRUISER not a DESTROYER.

It's absolutely supposed to sit at 20-30 km and slowly kill a Thorax and die horribly if it cannot maintain range.
    Yes... but it can only really do that effectively with ONE type of ammo. BARRAGE.

mobility
    Yes because getting killed and exploding at 2400m/s + is just awesome Roll

damage selection
    Sure that's true at close range but doesn't help much to a kite ship with ONE effective ammo type to shoot at range with. Even using close range/high damage ammo, the damage output vs other ships of this class is laughable at best. One could argue that the (EM/THERM/KIN/EXPLO) drones the other ships carry could be considered damage selection as well and they can go a hell of a lot further that the falloff of the Stabber.

capless guns
    Can't say much there. They are what they are. Take that one up with CCP.

utility highslots
    I'd give up the utility for another turret personally.
    And the missile slots... ugh... ditch them.

No one here asking for improvements to the proposed Stabber want a "I WIN" ship, they want a ship that does it's job. Kite and do damage at range. It's got the kite part. It's just missing damage and maybe shooting at range now.
    "Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes."

Nagarythe Tinurandir
    Einheit X-6
    Ushra'Khan
    #737 - 2012-10-30 18:45:58 UTC
    Meldorn Vaash wrote:

It's absolutely supposed to sit at 20-30 km and slowly kill a Thorax and die horribly if it cannot maintain range.
    Yes... but it can only really do that effectively with ONE type of ammo. BARRAGE.

mobility
    Yes because getting killed and exploding at 2400m/s + is just awesome Roll

damage selection
    Sure that's true at close range but doesn't help much to a kite ship with ONE effective ammo type to shoot at range with. Even using close range/high damage ammo, the damage output vs other ships of this class is laughable at best. One could argue that the (EM/THERM/KIN/EXPLO) drones the other ships carry could be considered damage selection as well and they can go a hell of a lot further that the falloff of the Stabber.

No one here asking for improvements to the proposed Stabber want a "I WIN" ship, they want a ship that does it's job. Kite and do damage at range. It's got the kite part. It's just missing damage and maybe shooting at range now.

i made similar observations during my stay on duality this weekend.
    i went up against caracals in various setups. all of them shooting HAMs.

the first one derped and had only rage HAMs on board so i was able to kite him but in the end he slipped out of point range because it took like forever to get through his big buffer tank and eventually my cap ran out.
    the second time he had an Large ASB and Javelin HAMs and totally murdered me.
    the third time still Javelin HAMs and Buffer again and i brought him down to maybe 1/3 of his shield. then i popped.

i went with T2 220mm and T2 HAM were i loaded Javelin (maybe not the smartest thing but i thought i need the dmg and faction missiles were not seeded)
    in the mids i had mwd, T2 Point, large extender and a Invu field.
    2 gyros and two TE in the lows, 2 shield extender rigs and one em resist rig

i have no idea how to give the stabber the little something (besides the looks :D) though range boni should only be applied if really neccessary. but for sure i dont want to see any drones there are way to much drones in the cruiser department. reducing the number of cruisers with drones would make them more prone to be srewed over by good frigate pilots. additionally gallente pilots would feel more special that way.

Aglais
    Ice-Storm
    #738 - 2012-10-30 19:02:33 UTC
    Takeshi Yamato wrote:

Someone knows what's happening here.
    Still, the Stabber doesn't really seem as competitive as it could be in terms of DPS. I'm aware that it's incredibly fast, but that won't really win fights; it'll allow it to choose which ones to take part in but that doesn't matter if there aren't any ships of it's class that it could reasonably go against and not likely get utterly ruined by.
    Harvey James
    The Sengoku Legacy
    #739 - 2012-10-30 19:08:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Harvey James
    perhaps it does need some drones afterall then maybe 3 lights might do it.
    afterall the vaga has 5 lights.

T3's need to be versatile so no rigs are necessary ... they should not have OP dps and tank

ABC's should be T2, remove drone assist, separate HAM's and Torps range, -3 HS for droneboats

Nerf web strength, Make the blaster Eagle worth using

Stephen O'Malley
    Southern Lord Industries
    #740 - 2012-10-30 19:27:50 UTC
    Takeshi Yamato wrote:

It shouldn't be able to compete in a brawl, no. It should have a chance to win a fight before capping out. The cap stability looks like itneeds to cycle the mwd to have any chance at having cap last long enough to wear down another cruiser, but by doing that, especially against these other attack cruisers, you're probably going to get caught.