These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Winter] ORE frigate

First post First post
Author
Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#281 - 2012-10-23 09:29:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Rek Seven
Well here's to hoping that they announce an ORE cruiser that is just a beefed up version of the frigate (e.g. able to tank all gas sites) and then after that, ORE should release a T3 industrial cruiser Big smile
Spurty
#282 - 2012-10-23 14:25:09 UTC
Did someone forget to 'name' this ship?

ORE frigate is its job.

Surely you can dream up some name for it (You named the Space coat-hanger, 'Apotheosis' after all)

There are good ships,

And wood ships,

And ships that sail the sea

But the best ships are Spaceships

Built by CCP

Darak Tar
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#283 - 2012-10-23 15:57:38 UTC
Rek Seven wrote:
Well here's to hoping that they announce an ORE cruiser that is just a beefed up version of the frigate (e.g. able to tank all gas sites) and then after that, ORE should release a T3 industrial cruiser Big smile

have to say I love this idea though I believe the current idea is that you go from Ore frigate to barge.

though it does make total sense that ORE are on the cutting edge of industrial technology and as such should come up with some way to leverage the new gas and resources found in the depths of WH space!
Xindi Kraid
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#284 - 2012-10-23 18:28:54 UTC
Scrapyard Bob wrote:
PhatController wrote:
So these will be replacing both the mining frigates and cruisers? I assume that means new miners will progress straight from this ORE frigate onto mining barges?

Yes. That seems to be the master plan since no ORE cruiser has been announced.

Well, if you think about it, Mining barges ARE ORE cruisers. They are classified as medium ships (like combat cruisers and battlecruisers) and were in the cruiser column of CCPs ship chart.

So the real question is: Will CCP ever make ORE destroyer, battlecruiser or battleship sized ships?
Aglais
Ice-Storm
#285 - 2012-10-23 18:38:45 UTC
I'll admit right off the bat here that mining and industry are not my strong areas in EVE, so don't take anything I suggest too seriously.

I don't personally see why there need to be destroyer or battlecruiser sized ORE ships. You have to keep in mind that they have wholly different functions compared to combat ships. These ships usually have some sort of benefit by being larger than one class yet smaller than another, as in battlecruisers (hardened cruisers with additional weaponry that remain more mobile than battleships at the cost of sheer damagedealing potential).

And ORE 'destroyer' doesn't make very much sense to me. Really, what makes sense is ORE ships having a small -> medium -> large -> capital progression of sorts, with each size class having some unique traits over the others. Such as the ORE frigate(s) being very mobile with alot of potential for just what it is that they're capable of mining (dedicated ice, ore and gas mining frigates as well as a generalist, all built around mobility rather than survivability), the 'cruisers' as you say, or rather medium hulls, being the barges and exhumers we are familiar with that have other roles not occupied by frigates, and then the large ORE ships might perhaps be focused primarily on being large defensive powerhouses that could act as mobile mining logistics platforms, with bonuses that may be somewhat like an industrial capital but less powerful. Whereas the ORE capitals would more or less be the heart of a large mining operation, great team bonus capabilities, etc.

Zyella Stormborn
Green Seekers
#286 - 2012-10-23 18:39:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Zyella Stormborn
I don't see any real need or fit for ORE destroyer or bc, but I have to admit, I think a BS class ORE ship would be great. Needed? probably not. But the idea of a Battle Ship class exhumer that could go out solo into deeper space and hold its own solo op with enough ore hold to be out for a while is a great concept.

Almost like a Rorq / Exhumer mix of some form, that does not do either job quite as well, but is capable of doing both in a limited fashion (ex: You can compress ores you mine, as you mine them, but are not able to compress other ore that is put into the bay from other ships / already present. It is part of the actual mining process of the ship. This would prevent it from taking the Rorq's role, yet still allow it to hold much more in its ore bay than others might. Only allow the ship in low or 0.0 space still, to prevent high sec compression. Just a concept idea).

So many other things in game to fix / balance which should take priority though. ;P

~Z

There is a special Hell for people like that, Right next to child molestors, and people that talk in the theater. ~Firefly

Xindi Kraid
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#287 - 2012-10-24 02:53:47 UTC
Note: my comment isn't suggesting CCP will or should make other classes of ORE ships (I suspect they aren't)

That said, despite not being a miner, I love the idea of a battleship sized mining vessel that outputs compressed ore.
Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#288 - 2012-10-24 09:16:09 UTC
What are you guys talking about? You want a mining barge that is bigger and even slower than a Hulk? That sounds like the worst. Roll

We have (or will have) the ORE frig, the noctice, T1 and T2 barges, T1 and T2 haulers and capital industrial. The missing ship is the T3 industrial cruiser.
Pinky Denmark
The Cursed Navy
#289 - 2012-10-24 11:21:12 UTC
Ore battlecruiser? I think thats the Orca you are thinking about.
And battleship not so much but you have the Ore capital Rorqual,
so it's unlikely for you to REALLY need anything else...
It would likely just obsolete too much in a go

What you WANT ofcourse is another thing Smile
Jason13 Anzomi
#290 - 2012-10-25 00:00:31 UTC
I'm reading posts from old players who are talking as if they're planning on trading in high level ships in order to use this entry level mining frigate. Listen people, this is not a gas mining ship for a 20m SP pilot to fly.

I'm also reading posts from old players who are talking as if it will prevent them from killing new miners when they invade low/null space. Listen people, newbies will die if they go into low/null sec. They simply do not have the techniques down to be able to avoid dying. By the time they figure out which button to click on, you'll have them locked and dead.

Any older alt trying to use this ship to invade low/null sec is going to get laughed at. Any new player who manages to avoid gate campers with this ship should be immediately signed up by your PvP corp!

It is a great step up for new miners just getting started. A paper thin frigate good for (very!) high sector, but will pop immediately if a couple of rats show up.

Keep things in perspective. This is a newbie level ship, not a high level ship for a 20m SP pilot.
Vorlasha
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#291 - 2012-10-25 04:59:14 UTC
Pinky Denmark wrote:
Ore battlecruiser? I think thats the Orca you are thinking about.
And battleship not so much but you have the Ore capital Rorqual,
so it's unlikely for you to REALLY need anything else...
It would likely just obsolete too much in a go

What you WANT ofcourse is another thing Smile

The Orca is actually a capital ship, and it about the size of a battleship in space.

It's hard to come up with a viable large scale version of a hulk that doesn't overpower the yield. Currently there just isn't a job that isn't currently occupied by a ship.

You could argue that a mid-sized freighter might be beneficial.

But the moment you go above 3 strips and an 8500 m/3 ore hold, you start to get into silly numbers for dedicated miners.

TLDR: We don't have enough jobs atm to necessitate a BC/BS/T3 hull.
Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#292 - 2012-10-25 08:53:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Rek Seven
Vorlasha wrote:

Not true. There are plenty of industrial roles to fill:

1. A high level gas mining ship
2. Hacking and analysing ship
3. A mining command ship, that isn't the size of an orca, with bonuses to gang links
4. A mining ship that can warp cloaked

The list goes on...
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#293 - 2012-10-25 14:36:12 UTC
CCP Ytterbium wrote:
And yes, folks, despite its name, gas is automatically harvested into the Ore hold. Wanted to file a bug report to CCP Tuxford in case it didn't, but he was quite clever and implemented that ahead of time during the mining barge changes Evil Clever girl.

So is the Orca Ore Hold going to take Gas Cloud Material now if the Ore Hold in the new Frigate does ?

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Spugg Galdon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#294 - 2012-10-25 14:42:18 UTC
Rek Seven wrote:
Vorlasha wrote:

3. A mining command ship, that isn't the size of an orca, with bonuses to gang links

The list goes on...

1) Agreed.
2) We are getting exploration frigates and possibly T2 versions of them in the future
3) Use a command ship
4) God no. Not required.
Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#295 - 2012-10-25 14:55:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Rek Seven
Spugg Galdon wrote:
Rek Seven wrote:
Vorlasha wrote:

The list goes on...

1) Agreed.
2) We are getting exploration frigates and possibly T2 versions of them in the future
3) Use a command ship
4) God no. Not required.

1) ...
2) No confirmation of a T2 version, it's a crappy T1 frig as far as i'm aware and you can fit a dedicated T1 cruiser to do the job better
3) There's a cruiser/BC class command ship with mining bonuses? No? Then why post?
4) I'm sure when T3 cruisers came out people where up in arms about them being able to cloak. Thankfully CCP didn't listen and as a result, t3 are awesome. Industrialists need new toys to.

I'm just saying, there are plenty of roles for a T3 industrial to fill. They would pretty much do what other ships do already but in a different way, like the T3 strategic cruisers.
Bugsy VanHalen
Society of lost Souls
#296 - 2012-10-25 18:05:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Bugsy VanHalen
Sylvilagus Palustris wrote:
Shouldn't the gas harvesting yield bonus be a time bonus?

edit for clarity:

gas is 10 m3

yield per cycle is 10 m3 (doubled)

adding 25% will result in no extra gas since in rounds down.

Bonus should be a reduction on cycle time (like ice miners)

^^This is exactly what I was thinking. If the 5% per level mining bonus affects the gas harveters.
It would be fine if it was 20m3 plus 25% which would give you 25m3 per cycle. But gas is like ice in that one unit is 10m3. So like ice a 25% bonus would be pointless as it would give you 2.5 units at level 5 which would round down to 2 units completely nullifying the bonus.

Also if this is meant to be the dedicated gas miner to replace using a Battle Cruiser, Should not the skill also be changed? A ship designed to fill the hole of a missing gas mining industrial ship should match up with the skill needed to use gas harvesters. This ship would have no benefit to training the gas mining skill past 2 as it can only use two gas harvesters. While the skill grants the use of an additional gas harvester per level to a maximum of 5.

I understand the concerns with possibly having a frigate with 5 turret slots. That just would not work unless those slots could equip nothing but mining lasers or gas miners. Maybe drop the gas mining yield bonus, give it 3 utility high slots, and remove the turret hard point requirement from the gas harvesters. It could still only hold 2 mining lasers but could then hold 5 gas harvesters. Leave or increase the gas harvester cycle time bonus, and it would out mine any other ship equipped with 5 gas miners. Vola the best gas miner in game, still benefiting from having gas mining trained to level 5.

Or if it had the gas mining yield bonus at 25% per level, it would still be pointless until you get it to 5, which makes it equal to 5 gas miners plus the cycle bonus. Only a slight yield improvement over using a Cane, aside from the ore hold. It just seems out of place to then have the gas mining skill add an additional gas harvester per level . As far as a noob ore mining ship with two bonused mining lasers it seems perfect.

Aside from that It looks great, cudos to the art department, and it will fill the spot of the noob mining frigate very well. But as it stands now, it will not out perform a BC with 5 gas miners and so will not become the new gas mining ship.
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#297 - 2012-10-25 18:16:05 UTC
Bugsy VanHalen wrote:

It would be fine if it was 20m3 plus 25% which would give you 25m3 per cycle. But gas is like ice in that one unit is 10m3. So like ice a 25% bonus would be pointless as it would give you 2.5 units at level 5 which would round down to 2 units completely nullifying the bonus.

Already updated to a cycle time bonus.

Bugsy VanHalen wrote:

Also if this is meant to be the dedicated gas miner to replace using a Battle Cruiser, Should not the skill also be changed? A ship designed to fill the hole of a missing gas mining industrial ship should match up with the skill needed to use gas harvesters. This ship would have no benefit to training the gas mining skill past 2 as it can only use two gas harvesters. While the skill grants the use of an additional gas harvester per level to a maximum of 5.

It's an entry level mining frigate that also happens to be a gas miner.

And a reason to train it to 5 still, is the t2 harvesters. Which double your yield.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Ginger Achura
Doomheim
#298 - 2012-10-28 03:11:45 UTC
Looking forward to this ship. It's great to be able to fly a mining frigate with an actual ore hold (5000 vs a couple of hundred on the existing mining frigates) for those of us who are not full-time miners.

"For hundreds of years my community has enjoyed cheddar cheese and pineapple on a stick" - William Ulsterman

Tanaka Sekigahara
United Space Marine Corp
#299 - 2012-10-28 16:59:43 UTC
Soko99 wrote:
Probably won't bother with this until a better or a cruiser version comes out. I mean. Why bother.. if the return is the same as a BC. Which has better tank and doesn't need any extra skills. 2 weeks of training just so I can gas the same amount as in my cane.

The inconvenience of hauling that gas is very minor in comparison. But I guess if I was new it would make sense..

Thus the moniker "entry level".My guess is they added that so you would know it was an "entry level" ship, in case the stats didnt say so. I dont think the cane has a 5000m3 ore hold........
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#300 - 2012-10-28 17:13:47 UTC
Too bad these ships can't swarm a Moon and Ninja grab Technetium Goo.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882