These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Default Orbit Distance in the Right-Click Context Menu

First post
Author
Poetic Stanziel
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-10-23 19:15:19 UTC
Currently the right-click Orbit contextual menu has limited options. The distance options extend to 30km only.

If I'm in a sniping ship, I often have a default orbit of 50-70km. Yet, if I right-click someone from my watchlist, or right-click something in space, I cannot use my default orbit distance. I have to go back to the overview to select the person or object, so that I can then click the orbit button. This is not very efficient.

How difficult would it be to add the default orbit distance we've set for our ship to the right-click Orbit contextual menu?
Salpun
Global Telstar Federation Offices
Masters of Flying Objects
#2 - 2012-10-23 19:20:38 UTC
Default camera zoom distance needs to be adjustable also.

If i dont know something about EVE. I check https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/ISK_The_Guide

See you around the universe.

CCP Explorer
C C P
C C P Alliance
#3 - 2012-10-23 20:17:05 UTC
Poetic Stanziel wrote:
Currently the right-click Orbit contextual menu has limited options. The distance options extend to 30km only.

If I'm in a sniping ship, I often have a default orbit of 50-70km. Yet, if I right-click someone from my watchlist, or right-click something in space, I cannot use my default orbit distance. I have to go back to the overview to select the person or object, so that I can then click the orbit button. This is not very efficient.

How difficult would it be to add the default orbit distance we've set for our ship to the right-click Orbit contextual menu?
I think it shouldn't be terribly difficult; the main problem is that quickly selecting the orbit distance you want and/or switching between them is not very usable and we would be adding to a system that is sometimes slightly cumbersome. As a specific example, sometimes I want to stay just within my warp disruptor range but then quickly dive within my blaster range when the jamming support arrives; currently this involves right-click menus.

Erlendur S. Thorsteinsson | Senior Development Director | EVE Online // CCP Games | @CCP_Explorer

Salpun
#4 - 2012-10-23 20:21:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Salpun
I have always thought that using the up/down/left/right arrows as faster/slower/closer/further would be usefull its just that there is not a easy way to tell orbit distance on the hud.

Right click needs two setable distances per ship ship type. Becouse that is how its currently stored right per ship type?

One that can be set at current distance and saved.
Then one that you set using the drop down.

The issue is you can keep at range but you have to remember what range you want and then get there first.

If i dont know something about EVE. I check https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/ISK_The_Guide

CCP Explorer
C C P
C C P Alliance
#5 - 2012-10-23 20:31:53 UTC
Salpun wrote:
I have always thought that using the up/down/left/right arrows as faster/slower/closer/further would be usefull its just that there is not a easy way to tell orbit distance on the hud.
Closer/further to what? Currently selected target or currently selected in space or in the overview?

Erlendur S. Thorsteinsson | Senior Development Director | EVE Online // CCP Games | @CCP_Explorer

Salpun
#6 - 2012-10-23 20:34:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Salpun
CCP Explorer wrote:
Salpun wrote:
Closer/further to what? Currently selected target or currently selected in space or in the overview?

What ever you have selected and saved as your orbit point could be person, ship, rock.
Or better yet two orbit points so you can switch back and forth.
Or use camera focus as one also.

Having some additional controls would allow pilots to experiment more with range instead of looking up the range for weapon and selecting the closest default orbit distance.

CCP Explorer
C C P
C C P Alliance
#7 - 2012-10-23 20:41:46 UTC
You now need to convince the UI programmers and UI designers to take a look at this thread. Big smile

MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#8 - 2012-10-23 20:42:15 UTC
CCP Explorer wrote:
Salpun wrote:

left arrow would be switch target left right arrow would be switch target right...

down arow would be approach

up arrow would be keep distance

and pressing down and up at the same time would be orbit?

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

Salpun
#9 - 2012-10-23 20:42:48 UTC
CCP Explorer wrote:
You now need to convince the UI programmers and UI designers to take a look at this thread. Big smile

Thats Poetics job lol

Warde Guildencrantz
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#10 - 2012-10-23 20:43:28 UTC
CCP Explorer wrote:
Salpun wrote:

I think a useful setup would be on the overview button menu for approach, orbit, etc. A text box where you can enter a distance to do whatever you want. You could type in 8000 and shift-click the orbit button and it would orbit 8000. The same would apply to warp, keep at range, etc. as an easier way of always setting defaults when the scenario changes.

In a very fast PvP scenario, sometimes you need to get to a certain range (that isn't a multiple of the ranges given) while maintaining transversal or not losing any range in the process, so doing right click> set default> type in distance>ok to get the distance to be 8000 is much too slow for such a scenario. I mean, it's very possible, but not at all convenient. Setting your preferred distance should be a single command. I self pilot quite a bit, but sometimes you just need to be at an exact range, to maximize your damage and safety in a fight, for example, kiting around 10k with a rail frig has you within scram range overheated and still getting great damage with 150mm rails. This is very useful, and it's difficult to manually pilot at this range without exiting scram range. The best method of doing it is a combination of self piloting and automated (automated is sometimes slow to react to changes, but its very precise).

TunDraGon ~ Low sec piracy since 2003 ~ Youtube ~ Join Us

MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#11 - 2012-10-23 20:43:29 UTC
CCP Explorer wrote:

i heard you like chocolate flavoured blunt raps...

i can procure for you as i live in canada...

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

Salpun
#12 - 2012-10-23 20:47:11 UTC
MeBiatch wrote:
CCP Explorer wrote:
Salpun wrote:

left arrow would be switch target left right arrow would be switch target right...

No people have been complaining about not being able to fly their ships via keyboard. up and down would control speed. left or right would control distance. But once the options are there you can set them up how you want to. Speed can already be done that way but distance cannot.

I like my more orbit points and more saved distances better makes it easier for more people.

There is also the fly parallel option that evryone wants but has not been programed in yet alsoTwisted

Poetic Stanziel
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2012-10-23 20:55:24 UTC
CCP Explorer wrote:
Poetic Stanziel wrote:

I think it shouldn't be terribly difficult; the main problem is that quickly selecting the orbit distance you want and/or switching between them is not very usable and we would be adding to a system that is sometimes slightly cumbersome. As a specific example, sometimes I want to stay just within my warp disruptor range but then quickly dive within my blaster range when the jamming support arrives; currently this involves right-click menus.
Generally, if I'm a long range sniping ship, I like to anchor on a fleet member at 50km or 70km (a distance not supported via right-clicking.) To orbit them currently, I have to leave my PvP tab, find them on my General tab, select them, and click the orbit button. If my anchor dies during the fight, I have to select another fleet member to anchor on (again, leaving my PvP tab in the middle of a battle, finding my fleet member on my general tab, selecting them, clicking the orbit button.

During the fight, I of course, watch for anyone trying to burn towards me, and then switch to manual piloting ... and if that pilot gives up the chase, I resume anchoring a fleet mate (going through the rigamorole above.)

I just think it would be great to see the right-click orbit menu look like this:

500m
1000m
2500m
5km
10km
15km
20km
25km
30km
Default (70km)

I still don't really understand your usability argument. I am constantly frustrated at having to set orbits greater than 30km during a fight, because that menu doesn't take into account my default orbit distance.

For anyone with a default orbit distance of less than 30km, it might not be particularly usable. But for anyone setting orbits greater than 30km, I see it is very usable and efficient.
Poetic Stanziel
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2012-10-23 20:57:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Poetic Stanziel
Salpun wrote:
CCP Explorer wrote:
Salpun wrote:

What ever you have selected and saved as your orbit point could be person, ship, rock.

Having some additional controls would allow pilots to experiment more with range instead of looking up the range for weapon and selecting the closest default orbit distance.
You're over complicating a very simple suggestion.

I just want to see this one simple fix. Overhauling the orbit UI is a project for another expansion.
Salpun
#15 - 2012-10-23 21:00:00 UTC
Poetic Stanziel wrote:
Salpun wrote:
CCP Explorer wrote:
Salpun wrote:

Your over complicating a very simple suggestion.

I just want to see this one simple fix. Overhauling the orbit UI is a project for another expansion.

Sad

Strata Maslav
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2012-10-23 21:19:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Strata Maslav
For anyone who has played any RTS game like SC2 you know how fast you can press key combinations. I would like right click UI that would work like the following:
I want to warp at 100 to Planet 5 moon 4.

1. 1) Press [T] (or Arbitrary key press, can be anything) opens the right click menu
  2. Each part of the menu has a letter attributed to it:
    [P]lanets
    [S]tation
    Sta[R]gates

3. [P] a list of the planets in the solar system comes up
  4. [5] and the list of all the actions comes up. I press
  5. [M] and a list of all the moon comes up
  6. [4] and the actions for Planet 5 Moon 4 are available.
  7. [R]
  8. [100]
  9. A confirmation message comes up and I can quickly confirm my warp
  10. [Enter]

11. In all I have typed into my keyboard “TP5M4R100-Enter” and I have navigated my way through the menu and began my warp in 5 seconds. Instead of take 20 seconds winding my way through a tedious window trying to figure out what the roman numeral is for 4.

Give me a reason why this is a bad idea. I am no UI designer but this seems pretty simple to implement.
Warde Guildencrantz
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#17 - 2012-10-23 21:36:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Warde Guildencrantz
Poetic Stanziel wrote:
Salpun wrote:
CCP Explorer wrote:
Salpun wrote:

You're over complicating a very simple suggestion.

check out my earlier post, which outlines how to set it up to be much more customizable and quick while keeping the current setup's features

as an addition, the way it would tell what distance you want to use would be any value >250 is treated in meters while any value <250 is treated in km.

TunDraGon ~ Low sec piracy since 2003 ~ Youtube ~ Join Us

Vordak Kallager
Wilderness
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
#18 - 2012-10-23 21:58:09 UTC
Poetic Stanziel wrote:
CCP Explorer wrote:
Poetic Stanziel wrote:

Generally, if I'm a long range sniping ship, I like to anchor on a fleet member at 50km or 70km (a distance not supported via right-clicking.) To orbit them currently, I have to leave my PvP tab, find them on my General tab, select them, and click the orbit button. If my anchor dies during the fight, I have to select another fleet member to anchor on (again, leaving my PvP tab in the middle of a battle, finding my fleet member on my general tab, selecting them, clicking the orbit button.

During the fight, I of course, watch for anyone trying to burn towards me, and then switch to manual piloting ... and if that pilot gives up the chase, I resume anchoring a fleet mate (going through the rigamorole above.)

I just think it would be great to see the right-click orbit menu look like this:

500m
1000m
2500m
5km
10km
15km
20km
25km
30km
Default (70km)

I still don't really understand your usability argument. I am constantly frustrated at having to set orbits greater than 30km during a fight, because that menu doesn't take into account my default orbit distance.

For anyone with a default orbit distance of less than 30km, it might not be particularly usable. But for anyone setting orbits greater than 30km, I see it is very usable and efficient.

If you're in a sniper ship, you generally don't want to be orbiting, you want to be managing your distance with Keep at Range/Approach or manually in order to minimize transversal, remain in proximity with the rest of your fleet, etc.

Sa souvraya niende misain ye.

betoli
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2012-10-23 22:10:04 UTC
MeBiatch wrote:
CCP Explorer wrote:
Salpun wrote:

Just add keyboard shortcuts and a visual feedback on the shiney new target widgets,

+ increase orbital distance (use sensible stepping)
+ decrease orbital distance
+ set orbital distance to current
---> times the same for keep at range.
+ next target
+ previous target
Poetic Stanziel
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2012-10-23 22:46:21 UTC
Vordak Kallager wrote:
If you're in a sniper ship, you generally don't want to be orbiting, you want to be managing your distance with Keep at Range/Approach or manually in order to minimize transversal, remain in proximity with the rest of your fleet, etc.
The same suggestion applies to adding the default keep at range distance to the keep at range context menu.
12Next page