These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why a high sec nerf is good for industrialists.

Author
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#101 - 2012-10-23 04:03:29 UTC
Natsett Amuinn wrote:

I can only speculate that a combination of reduced output, rise in mineral cost, and perfect refines would make null sec minerals have more value, increase the cost of production in high sec, and close a bit of the gap between high sec and null prices.

The current already near limitless supply of low end minerals is not enough for production to consume all high end coming from either stockpile from past drone poo or whatever amount is currently mined for the price to rise. Increasing the rarity of low end will not drive those price up. The limiting factor is still the low end and reducing thier supply would only raise those price. The reduction in yield in high sec no matter how big will never drive up the price of high end ore only available in null. To drive up the price of null opre, you either reduce the supply of those or increase thier deamand. The demand for null ore is drive by the availability of low end ore because you can't produce anything without trit anyway.

The industry on the other hand would probably start increasing in null as mining in null would serve more of a purpose than only mining high end to ship in high sec. One could potentially make a large mining op to supply a chain of production by getting all his opre from a single place (if system exist that provide such thing. I never visited null so I have no idea what the belts really look like. I heard they are hugh tho.) with really nice refinining rate. Possession of territory with good belts would be worth something for alliance/corp with a large indy arm.
Touval Lysander
Zero Wine
#102 - 2012-10-23 04:33:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Touval Lysander
Natsett Amuinn wrote:
I agree. High sec should be the place to manufacture in bulk, that doesn't mean that it should trivialize null industry.

Nullsec seems happy to trivialise highsec industry no end lately. An institution made up of thousands of players and hundreds of thousands of man hours.

If nullsec is currently using highsec because it's cheaper/faster w/e, just use highsec ffs. What is it, 20 seconds to flip a JF into VFK? Big deal.

Let's cut to the chase shall we.

1) Mittani - the lawyer, not the economist, has waxed lyrically about this and you sheep have a job to do. I understand that.
2) Reminder. It's not HIS game. It's OUR GAME - the same way it's not OUR problem if his empire is collapsing.
3) There's a huge number of us in Eve who don't give a rats patooey what Goons have to say to "fix" anything.

The problem is that 0.0 is simply too easy to hold and it's too easy to defend when the blob rules. Many have offered ways to break the deadlock. And we know many of the ideas will work to break the status quo - because the people who have disagreed most vehemently have been Goons.

I dare Mittani to come out once and for all and call 0.0 for what it REALLY needs. Break the blob. Break the space. Break the overlord. Let plebs rule. Let morons rule. Let a-holes rule.

For while we have people demanding ordered, structured and methodical ways to fix things, we end up with more order, more structure and more ******* rules.

It is NOT highsecs problem if the Goons have pissed on their members, smashed everyone's space and ultimately, ****** over everyone's game.

They're soooo bored they're in highsec chasing targets - because they OWN all the space the targets used to lived in.

Economics is only part of the problem. Everybody is in highsec 'cos they got nowhere else to be.

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

Herr Hammer Draken
#103 - 2012-10-23 04:48:00 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
Natsett Amuinn wrote:

I can only speculate that a combination of reduced output, rise in mineral cost, and perfect refines would make null sec minerals have more value, increase the cost of production in high sec, and close a bit of the gap between high sec and null prices.

The current already near limitless supply of low end minerals is not enough for production to consume all high end coming from either stockpile from past drone poo or whatever amount is currently mined for the price to rise. Increasing the rarity of low end will not drive those price up. The limiting factor is still the low end and reducing thier supply would only raise those price. The reduction in yield in high sec no matter how big will never drive up the price of high end ore only available in null. To drive up the price of null opre, you either reduce the supply of those or increase thier deamand. The demand for null ore is drive by the availability of low end ore because you can't produce anything without trit anyway.

The industry on the other hand would probably start increasing in null as mining in null would serve more of a purpose than only mining high end to ship in high sec. One could potentially make a large mining op to supply a chain of production by getting all his opre from a single place (if system exist that provide such thing. I never visited null so I have no idea what the belts really look like. I heard they are hugh tho.) with really nice refinining rate. Possession of territory with good belts would be worth something for alliance/corp with a large indy arm.

But the problem to all of this is the ease of transport of goods between high sec and null sec. In a sense because there is almost no risk to move goods between then it does not matter this distinction between high end and low end ores. There is no barrier to entry, no wide moat of protection, No tariffs if you will to protect null industry. It is free trade in both directions.
As long as high sec is the place to do mass production which is by its nature more efficient (and is as it should be) then Null industrialists will always be able to be undercut by traders. I am not suggesting that null sec become the place to do mass production efficiently. I am trying to point out that the main problem is the ease of trade between the two areas of space.

Herr Hammer Draken "The Amarr Prophet"

Touval Lysander
Zero Wine
#104 - 2012-10-23 05:25:17 UTC
Herr Hammer Draken wrote:
I am trying to point out that the main problem is the ease of trade between the two areas of space.

There is no problem.

If 0.0 can easily and cheaply do their production in highsec (as they are) why does highsec need to take it up the proverbial so they can do exactly the same thing in 0.0 at your expense?

Just do the indy in highsec! Seems the 20 seconds it takes to flip a JF to VFK is now too hard for Goons.

This whole nerf highsec is coming from a Goon - who is not an economist - and is more about telling everyone else what WE need to do because HIS troops are bugging out on him.

Of course they got no fun. They've got no targets. They killed 'em all.

And it's our fault.

TL:DR Seems highsec killed all the people in 0.0. AWESOME PvP guys!! \0/

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

Geligdio Khan
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#105 - 2012-10-23 15:21:17 UTC

I think High sec is in effect the perfect storm, it's the safest, closest to the market hubs, has half the materials you need and has a vast number of manufacturing slots.

There really is no reason to leave and a small change wont change that. It needs to be something big enough to create more trade hubs.

Is it not weird there are only 5 hubs for a game with 7500 systems? Oughtn't there be 50 big hubs?

Thanks

Ginger Barbarella
#106 - 2012-10-23 15:36:21 UTC
Touval Lysander wrote:
Natsett Amuinn wrote:
I agree. High sec should be the place to manufacture in bulk, that doesn't mean that it should trivialize null industry.

Nullsec seems happy to trivialise highsec industry no end lately. An institution made up of thousands of players and hundreds of thousands of man hours.

If nullsec is currently using highsec because it's cheaper/faster w/e, just use highsec ffs. What is it, 20 seconds to flip a JF into VFK? Big deal.

1) Mittani - the lawyer, not the economist, has waxed lyrically about this and you sheep have a job to do. I understand that.
2) Reminder. It's not HIS game. It's OUR GAME - the same way it's not OUR problem if his empire is collapsing.
3) There's a huge number of us in Eve who don't give a rats patooey what Goons have to say to "fix" anything.

The problem is that 0.0 is simply too easy to hold and it's too easy to defend when the blob rules. Many have offered ways to break the deadlock. And we know many of the ideas will work to break the status quo - because the people who have disagreed most vehemently have been Goons.

I dare Mittani to come out once and for all and call 0.0 for what it REALLY needs. Break the blob. Break the space. Break the overlord. Let plebs rule. Let morons rule. Let a-holes rule.

For while we have people demanding ordered, structured and methodical ways to fix things, we end up with more order, more structure and more ******* rules.

It is NOT highsecs problem if the Goons have pissed on their members, smashed everyone's space and ultimately, ****** over everyone's game.

They're soooo bored they're in highsec chasing targets - because they OWN all the space the targets used to lived in.

Economics is only part of the problem. Everybody is in highsec 'cos they got nowhere else to be.

QFT. +1

"Blow it all on Quafe and strippers." --- Sorlac

Opertone
State War Academy
Caldari State
#107 - 2012-10-23 15:42:15 UTC
To prove your point, please undock in a mining barge in low sec and make me a Raven.

A Raven hand built in Rancer would be appreciated. For a change, Mara is quite close to the Forge (Jita), try building and mining out of there/

This post sums up why the 'best' work with DCM inc.

WARP DRIVE makes eve boring

really - add warping align time 300% on gun aggression and eve becomes great again

Malphilos
State War Academy
Caldari State
#108 - 2012-10-23 15:48:28 UTC
James 315 wrote:
In before you're accused of being my alt. I agree...

Which pretty clearly establishes the utter lunacy of the proposal right there.
flakeys
Doomheim
#109 - 2012-10-23 15:50:21 UTC
Ginger Barbarella wrote:
Touval Lysander wrote:
Natsett Amuinn wrote:

QFT. +1

And let's make that a double +1 shall we ..

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Simetraz
State War Academy
Caldari State
#110 - 2012-10-23 15:58:23 UTC
Geligdio Khan wrote:

I propose changing this to

High Sec, Tritanium

Low Sec, Tritanium, Pyerite, Mexallon, Isogen, Nocxium

Null Sec, Tritanium, Pyerite, Zydrine, Megacyte, Morphite.

Notice under this system there are minerals which are only available in low, so miners will have to go there.
Moreover I propose high sec manufacturing is altered from 1000 ISK install charge, 333 Isk per hour, to 10,000 ISK install charge and 5,000 ISK per hour.

Yeh that would pretty much destroy the game.
Tobiaz
Spacerats
#111 - 2012-10-23 16:06:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Tobiaz
Geligdio Khan wrote:

I think High sec is in effect the perfect storm, it's the safest, closest to the market hubs, has half the materials you need and has a vast number of manufacturing slots.

There really is no reason to leave and a small change wont change that. It needs to be something big enough to create more trade hubs.

Is it not weird there are only 5 hubs for a game with 7500 systems? Oughtn't there be 50 big hubs?

Move all mining to gravimetric sites. Make gravimetric sites respawn all over the galaxy, and increase the despawn timer to at least a month. The result is that most gravimetric signatures are to be found in desolate, dangerous systems. In case of null and W-space, systems that become worth fighting over. There will be still be ores to mine in high-sec, maybe even in Jita itself, but those will require a lot of exploration to find and will be heavily contested , so not very appealing for big, serious mining operations.

The respawn chances need to be tweaked so low-end ores are more likely to respawn in high-sec (where most miners will remain), and high-end ores in null and WH (with the occasional 'jackpot' in high-sec). Also ores could be made to prefer spawning under certain NPC Factions, to mimic the current distribution.

Then massively increase the base yield for ore mining. My estimate is that the threshold at which point players in EVE start taking serious risks and/or cooperate heavily is currently around 100M ISK/hour.

In a normal situation with the current mineral prices, a Hulk can pull in 20M ISK worth of high-sec minerals per hour.

So this is a bit of a shot in the dark, but if the overall ore yield of miners is multiplied by at least a factor of five (might be more), I suspect the game can make the transition to a system with less actual miners, now a more difficult and possibly even dangerous job, without the mineral prices going out of control, hurting everybody else, because of the supply would remain on the same level.

Mining ice should remain the same as it is now though, to continue to accommodate AFK miners in this game. Nothing wrong with them, only they shouldn't be allowed to compete on the same level with more active miners taking risks.

Operation WRITE DOWN ALL THE THINGS!!!  Check out the list at http://bit.ly/wdatt Collecting and compiling all fixes and ideas for EVE. Looking for more editors!

Kitty Bear
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#112 - 2012-10-23 16:33:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Kitty Bear
Tobiaz wrote:
My estimate is that the threshold at which point players in EVE start taking serious risks and/or cooperate heavily is currently around 100M ISK/hour.

Confirming EVERYONE in hisec does topend Incursions in Officer Fit Battleships.

Nice "estimate" Fifty.
Silk daShocka
Greasy Hair Club
#113 - 2012-10-23 16:36:16 UTC
Tobiaz wrote:
Geligdio Khan wrote:

Move all mining to gravimetric sites. Make gravimetric sites respawn all over the galaxy, and increase the despawn timer to at least a month. The result is that most gravimetric signatures are to be found in desolate, dangerous systems. In case of null and W-space, systems that become worth fighting over. There will be still be ores to mine in high-sec, maybe even in Jita itself, but those will require a lot of exploration to find and will be heavily contested , so not very appealing for big, serious mining operations.

The respawn chances need to be tweaked so low-end ores are more likely to respawn in high-sec (where most miners will remain), and high-end ores in null and WH (with the occasional 'jackpot' in high-sec). Also ores could be made to prefer spawning under certain NPC Factions, to mimic the current distribution.

Then massively increase the base yield for ore mining. My estimate is that the threshold at which point players in EVE start taking serious risks and/or cooperate heavily is currently around 100M ISK/hour.

In a normal situation with the current mineral prices, a Hulk can pull in 20M ISK worth of high-sec minerals per hour.

So this is a bit of a shot in the dark, but if the overall ore yield of miners is multiplied by at least a factor of five (might be more), I suspect the game can make the transition to a system with less actual miners, now a more difficult and possibly even dangerous job, without the mineral prices going out of control, hurting everybody else, because of the supply would remain on the same level.

Mining ice should remain the same as it is now though, to continue to accommodate AFK miners in this game. Nothing wrong with them, only they shouldn't be allowed to compete on the same level with more active miners taking risks.

So, it benefits 2 groups of people from what I understand.

Null sec alliances, and perhaps miners if they are making 100m isk/hour. I highly doubt the alliances would allow the miners to make this much, since the miners would be 100% reliant on the alliance to protect them, as well as possibly locating sites.

Now how does that affect everyone else that plays the game?

Don't you think that people that don't live in null would see massive inflation as a result of this?
Kitty Bear
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#114 - 2012-10-23 16:48:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Kitty Bear
Quote:

I see a clinic full of cynics
Who want to twist the peoples' wrist
They're watching every move we make
We're all included on the list

Eventually, you'll understand the relevance.
Tobiaz
Spacerats
#115 - 2012-10-23 17:01:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Tobiaz
Kitty Bear wrote:
Tobiaz wrote:
My estimate is that the threshold at which point players in EVE start taking serious risks and/or cooperate heavily is currently around 100M ISK/hour.

Confirming EVERYONE in hisec does topend Incursions in Officer Fit Battleships.

Nice "estimate" Forest.

Making more then 100M/hour with Incursions is not for many. Most people make around 75M I think?

Before the nerf there WERE people running low-sec Incursions though (well-run VGs, +40% payout, but less shinier fleets and a lot of security measure overhead and so they made around 130M ISK/hour I'm guessing).

On the other hand, on average you can make 80M to 100M quite easily by risky low-sec exploration, and there are quite a few people actually doing that. I suspect W-space daytripping is comparable.

Mining however only increases from 20M to 35M per hour or so, when you switch high-sec for low-sec, which, as witnessed by the lack of low-sec miners, apparently is not enough.

Risk-free L4 mission running, makes around 60M/ hour, depending on multi-boxing and salvage, which seems to have been a threshold for many to give up playing solo missions for Incursions.

The recent spike in mineral prices caused by the dronepoo nerf, made many of null players switch from running anoms to mining ABC, which at that point could make them over 100M/hour.

Making people switch from solo to cooperation, from low to high risk, from PVE to mining, for many players it's simply determined by profit. The key for CCP is finding the ISK/hour threshold at which point high-sec solo miners transform into low sec mining corporations, and adjust the yield so this ISK/hour can be reached at current mineral prices.

Yes my 100M/hour is a guesstimate. I already said it could be higher. I challenge you to come up with a more accurate one.

Operation WRITE DOWN ALL THE THINGS!!!  Check out the list at http://bit.ly/wdatt Collecting and compiling all fixes and ideas for EVE. Looking for more editors!

Darth Khasei
Wavestar Business Ventures Inc.
#116 - 2012-10-23 17:15:28 UTC
Respect. Cool

There are a lot of these bias nerf posts in the forums that CCP is ignoring. While they do listen to some well thought out balanced approach change type posts, these bias myopic change that will make "me" feel better type posts "HAVE" to be ignored.

The principal reason is they don't take into consideration other valid play styles that are not the one's the suggester plays.

You may as well name your thread have CCP attack this customer type and nerf "their" play style so my play style can be more fun for "me".

That is exactly what is being said in 99% of these GD change/nerf type threads. It is hard to tell those type threads from your everyday troll type thread.

For a supposedly intelligent and mature crowd, I have to wonder if we can do better than what is going on right now.
Tobiaz
Spacerats
#117 - 2012-10-23 17:28:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Tobiaz
Silk daShocka wrote:

So, it benefits 2 groups of people from what I understand.

Null sec alliances, and perhaps miners if they are making 100m isk/hour. I highly doubt the alliances would allow the miners to make this much, since the miners would be 100% reliant on the alliance to protect them, as well as possibly locating sites.

Now how does that affect everyone else that plays the game?

Don't you think that people that don't live in null would see massive inflation as a result of this?

It will benefit the alliances because the increased yield will make them less dependent on low-end supply from empire (though now they will have to mine it themselves, instead of simply buying it in Jita using their moongoo ISK).

This should be combined though with a considerable increase in jump freighters fuel consumption to finally sever the economic umbilical cord between null and empire (which was for example the main reason why cheap dronepoo ever became a problem for the miners in empire).

High-sec miners will be affected ofcourse. The lazy miners will switch to ICE (if they hadn't already), and the ones too scared to enter low-sec will either explore for the occasional high-sec gravimetric sites (with the higher yield, still OK income), or settle in a desolate system with a bigger logistical burden but a less contested supply of ores. Or, if they like to take a risk, they could go into low-sec and find not only mid-level ores in abundance and closer to trade-hubs, but also the occasional ABC site (enough to make them rich, but not enough to influence the high-end import from null).

The overall number of people mining will likely be reduced (a lot of them bots), but the ones that stick around will make a LOT more money then they used to, because of the increased yield.

And this increased yield (if well-adjusted) makes sure that the overall supply, remains the same, mineral prices remain the same, the rest of EVE is not affected (birthing pangs aside). The biggest way non-miners are affected is that they now can go mining and have an Incursion-level income or better.

edit

One very positive side-effect though, affecting everyone, is that a lot of the production of low-end minerals will be more spread out evenly over high-sec (sites can respawn anywhere) With solo-miners exploring for highly contested sites in high-population areas, while big mining corporations cleaning out the accumulated sites in desolate regions, possibly even staking a temporary claim in the richest pockets.

In a way this is already happening now ofcourse at asteroid belts, but the gap between scarcity and abundance is insufficient to stimulate players forming multiple trade and production hubs instead of the single superhub at jita.

Silk daShocka
Greasy Hair Club
#118 - 2012-10-23 17:48:19 UTC
Tobiaz wrote:

Snip

You seem to think your presenting the entire story of what would happen should your suggested changes be implemented, yet you dont' include all the negative effects that they would have.

-Increased cost for everything, period
-No increased income for many people, nearly everyone
-Increased logistics to move minerals to high sec, should manufacturers stay there, not sure if your suggestions are intended to be accompanied by a massive nerf to high sec manufacturing as well
-Increased cost for security, and for the daring: ship replacement, for anyone dumb enough to mine in low sec
-Increased cost due to every single site having to be scanned down
-Increased cost due to people unsubbing (less miners=less supply). There are various reasons that people would refuse to mine this way.
-Null alliances would either have mandatory mining ops, or would charge renters fees or something, for miners to have access to their new found valuable resource, thus increasing the cost. Have a look at tech moons if you'd like to see how valuable resources are handled on the bloc level.

The increase in yield you suggest only addresses the issue of supply. There are other issues that affect the cost of the minerals.

So, now explain how all these issues wouldn't cause massive inflation. I mean, I think I speak for alot of people that play, when I say that when I go to a trade hub I sure don't want to pay 300m isk for a hurricane.
Natsett Amuinn
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#119 - 2012-10-23 18:04:35 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
Natsett Amuinn wrote:

I didn't specuale that reducing the output of low ends in high would drive up the cost of high ends.

Reducing the output of low ends in high sec would increase the value of low ends mined out of null.
Reducing refine rates in high would also effectively increase output of low ends in null, without actually injecting more trit into the systems.

Null sec should be an option when it comes to industry. It currently isn't. Unless you're looking for pvp there isn't really a worthwhile benefit to choose to live in null over high sec.

The problem can be summed up in one question.

Why would you come here to do industry?

Natsett Amuinn
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#120 - 2012-10-23 18:11:15 UTC
Touval Lysander wrote:
Natsett Amuinn wrote:

"null players **** on high sec so CCP should **** on them."

"goonsgooonsgoonsgoonsgoonsgoonsgoons its all goons fault"

That's all i got from that.
A bunch of crap that has no bearing on the issues that null players are faced with as a whole.