These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Building complete product at a planet - what am i missing

Author
Saatuban Wolverine
Wolverine Drive Yards
#1 - 2011-10-18 15:43:05 UTC
I have an ICE planet in a 0.3 system I have been playing around with. Trying to build all the way to Synthetic Synapses which you should be able to do.

Found hot spots all close together - check

P0 to P1 chain copied per material needed (Extractor heads (1 per material needed P0) > Silo > basic fac > basic fac) linked to Spaceport > adv fac and Im out of power.

I have command center upgrades skill maxed. The command center is upgraded to max, so what am i missing?
Velicitia
XS Tech
#2 - 2011-10-18 19:59:33 UTC
you probably have the links either really long, or have something else "wrong"

Usually the chain would look like this:

ECU -> Launchpad -> BIF -> (same) Launchpad (-> AIF -> Launchpad) -> Customs Office (i.e. export so you can sell/use/whatever)

Since Synthetic Synapses are P3 products, you're going to be hard pressed to make the entire chain on a single planet.

Will probably be easier to manufacture the two P2 products (Supertensile Plastics and Test Cultures) on at least two planets, and then combine them on a factory planet (note, the factory planet MAY be able to be the same planet that's making one of the afore-mentioned P2 items)

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#3 - 2011-10-19 00:51:40 UTC
It's not going to happen for you on the one planet. I've been doing the PI thing since the start. Trust me.

You MUST dedicate a production planet at least. You will probably have enough CPU and Power left to pull one product as well.

Doing Low Sec......takes SIX P0 to P1 planets and a SEVENTH to manufacture the P4. Them's the numbers.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Eric Raeder
No Fee Too High
#4 - 2011-10-21 12:45:33 UTC
You see guides listing single planet production of P3 and P4 items but those were written before the Incarna changes, when extractors were bought individually. Now that you have to have an extractor control unit for each resource type, it isn't practical. If you are working up from R0 extracted resources you don't want to have more than one or two ECUs per colony. This means either make a single P1 product and export it or two P1 products and combine them into a P2. To make P3 products with any kind of efficiency you need multiple planets. To make P4 products efficiently you need a LOT of planets, probably more than one character can control (train those alts!)
VaMei
Meafi Corp
#5 - 2011-10-21 15:09:51 UTC  |  Edited by: VaMei
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
takes SIX P0 to P1 planets and a SEVENTH to manufacture the P4.

Since the OP is using an Ice planet, he can't be going to P4s, so I assume he's shooting for a P2 or P3 product for export.

Edit: @OP. If you are trying to build a P4 product you must build a High Tech processing facility. These facilities may only be built on barren and terrestrial planets.

Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:

It's not going to happen for you on the one planet. I've been doing the PI thing since the start. Trust me.

As for "not going to happen', I'll be rebuilding each of my low-sec planets to go from scratch to P3 once the POCO change hits. I've already done it on Sisi, and it's working just fine.

I'm using 4 BIFs, 3 AIFs, 5 silos, 1 ECU, and no launchpads. I need to get 576Kunits from the ECU each day to keep the P1 and P2 processes running full time, and the P3 process running half time. I rotate the ECU through my 4 P0 products daily (at a cost of only 45Kisk/move). As long as I get 576Kunits of P0 in that day, then I'll have enough P0 to keep my BIF running for 4 days while I extract the other products.

P3 output is 216m3/day, meaning I only need to do a launch from my CC every other day to keep up, and I have no need for a POCO.

This is a loss of output of about 20% vs. the 4 P1 producers and 1 factory planet I have today, but I won't need to worry about the availability of a POCO (or what the tax rate will be if there is one), and by rotating through the 4 P0 resources, vs. each planet having a dedicated product, resource depletion is much less of an issue.

Edit: One of my silos is only used as temp storage of P2s (not really required since the P3 AIF can consume more P2 than I produce) and long term storage of P3. If I was willing to commit to a CC launch every other day I could eliminate that silo, route P2 directly to the P3 AIF, and store P3 in the the CC; but I like not having my characters comitted to being somewhere on a schedule. That silo gives me a 3 week buffer to go do what I want to do from week to week.