These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

The Eve Community

Author
Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#21 - 2011-10-18 08:27:57 UTC
The question how people act inside the game as compared to outside the game is a very interesting one and has been discussed many times.
My view is that people don't stray that much from their real life moral parameters and EVE is a pretty accurate reflection of real life moral integrity of an average group of above average intelligent people without the fear of authority hanging over them.

Thinking about this is usually the point where I reach for a bottle...Shocked
gfldex
#22 - 2011-10-18 17:29:28 UTC
Narabi Kugisa wrote:

However, I am not just interested in just the language of Eve Online as a community, but the interactions and values of the community as well and how this affects the language.

The EVE Community does not exist. I have seen so much hate against the player group I was with (ex BoB pilot) that I cannot possible speak of a community. EVE is a sports league with all the positive and negative aspects those come with. You are part of a team and you show loyalty (well most do) as long as you are with them.

Narabi Kugisa wrote:
I am interested in how one’s values from the real world might (or might not) affect how they interact with others or how they play on the game.

It's a game with rules. Those rules are not written down but still exist. You learn them while violating them. Value don't come into play AFAICT. Some ways to win are just to easy and thus boring. There can be a community that happens to play EVE aswell, but the EVE players themselves don't form that community.

Narabi Kugisa wrote:

Also, if one feels that Eve is their priority community in life or secondary priority in life.

1) I learned a lot about ppl, trust and even banks (by reading up and comparing how money works OOG and in game). But I would not say that I would smack somebody over the head to get the content of his car just because that's easy to do in EVE.

2) What do you mean with "real world"? If you play football in your spare time, is that not part of the real world? For some it is like a social club to some extend and as with social clubs you may change them when you change town. Is a social club not part of "the real world"? It's a slippery slope to start with a definition and then go and base assumptions on that definition. One could even go so far to say it's a linguistic trick.

3) I think it becomes a community when the anonymity is dropped. But then this is not really a result of the game. The game is just the means to meet those ppl. I further find the sound waves that transmit my fellow team mates voices rather physical. I can't really touch them but with many sports that would be the same wouldn't it? Again you start with a definition. I can very easyly destroy that definition. Blind folk don't see the ppl they speak with. If a blind person becomes part of a community, is that community more real then others?

4) Given that I don't make the distinction between a online game and a sports club that I meet in the gym, that question does not make any sense to me. The bond is weaker tho. If I quit the game only those members of the community that has grown out of the game that are on IRC will stay with me. (There is such a community. Don't go there, they are bad men.)

Narabi Kugisa wrote:
I am also interested in how old citizens and new Citizens feel about each other.

1) They join a player run corp and that's pretty much it. If ppl get along with each other they might end in the inner circle of that corp (pretty much all got that) and thus be part of a community (if there is any). Again the bond is very weak if you want to speak of a community at all. They quit the game, they be gone (or married, what is basically the same thing).

2) In joining that community that may or may not exists? Well certainly. They let them into their corp.

3) I would say the same way as in any community (if it exists) by paying special attention to them. Attention that goes beyond courtesy. An authority is one who's judgment is not questioned or valued above the judgment of others. So that part of the question is answered by the very definition of authority. (Read: you didn't really think about that question)

4) A simply indication is that ppl ask you for your opinions about their fittings. The next step is that they blindly follow you into battle (blindly means without *beep*ing of in random directions or stupid argues). Again the opinion of somebody with authority is valued higher then others.

About the influence of language. Well, most of it is just huffman coding. The terms are pretty much all derived from item names, so there is not much the players can do. I doubt EVE is old or big enough to form a true language of it's own. Judging somebody by the usage of EVE terms is pretty pointless as there is a glossary.

About values. Technically there is the value of the sandbox itself. That the game should not hold your hand and your reward should reflect the risk you took. Sadly that part was weakened quite a bit in the last few years. There is some value in your team. You don't betray your corp mates. Don't sell them off. All quite easy to explain with game theory. It's human interaction and uses the same parts of the brain then those interaction in another context. The bonds are a little weaker and thus the values easier to break. Maybe because you rarely ever hug the person you may betray.

If you take all the sand out of the box, only the cat poo will remain.

Velicitia
XS Tech
#23 - 2011-10-18 19:40:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Velicitia
gfldex wrote:
Narabi Kugisa wrote:

However, I am not just interested in just the language of Eve Online as a community, but the interactions and values of the community as well and how this affects the language.

The EVE Community does not exist. I have seen so much hate against the player group I was with (ex BoB pilot) that I cannot possible speak of a community. EVE is a sports league with all the positive and negative aspects those come with. You are part of a team and you show loyalty (well most do) as long as you are with them.

we don't *all* dislike the former Band of Brothers ... or at least I'm too young to have known much of the "bad" that they did ... it was all stories and "legend" by then -- same with Mo0...

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

gfldex
#24 - 2011-10-19 00:36:18 UTC
Velicitia wrote:
we don't *all* dislike the former Band of Brothers ... or at least I'm too young to have known much of the "bad" that they did ... it was all stories and "legend" by then -- same with Mo0...

About 90% of all players that knocked on BoB member corps doors where turned down. It hurts to be rejected. That's where all the hate came from. And it's m0o. Very important as it's not a name but a symbol. I can't spell it out because the profanity filter would eat it. Think of what kind of internationally understood gesture you can do with one hand. Ask around about the "True -10 Story" and you will understand why they where hated.

If you take all the sand out of the box, only the cat poo will remain.

Mocam
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#25 - 2011-10-19 03:00:25 UTC
Louis deGuerre wrote:
The question how people act inside the game as compared to outside the game is a very interesting one and has been discussed many times.
My view is that people don't stray that much from their real life moral parameters and EVE is a pretty accurate reflection of real life moral integrity of an average group of above average intelligent people without the fear of authority hanging over them.

Thinking about this is usually the point where I reach for a bottle...Shocked

I'd disagree a bit. Not that much off but a bit.

Some players are as you describe - they more envy those IRL that seem to get away with brutality and wish they could be that way. Others...

People do what they would like to be able to do in this game - constrained by game mechanics and other player attitudes/opinions. How this translates to RL morality, or how they express themselves morally in RL: This is often quite different. Many just choose to "get along" and "fit in" here. Think of it as the "sheeple" reaction - or more PC: "civilized" based upon the norms of where you are at. "When in Rome..."

I've used the question "Which is better: To judge someone for what they must do for a living or what they choose to do for fun?" That' is as incomplete a picture as the "it's just a game!" responses.

That one liner - "When you dance with the devil, the devil don't change; the devil changes you." is applicable.

I don't see much of this stuff as "shades of gray" - but as "degrees of toxicity". A spoonful of bleach in a gallon of water isn't bad. A spoonful of water in a gallon of bleach - undrinkable. Each individual will have a different "getting sick from it" point.

When 'the norm" is brutality and abuse of any you can get away with abusing, then you either figure out how to fit in or move on. Luckily there are many niches in this game where various degrees of toxicity can be found so "fitting in" isn't a Boolean thing.

So many might find such things abhorrent in real-life, may find themselves involved in some of the most grotesque amoral activities here and won't give it another thought unless it's bluntly brought up to them -- at which point... Things can get interesting. Especially if they look at what they do here and try to apply "deeply personal" moral values to their actions.

I've seen a few that pretty much have to turn away from the topic simply due to how "morally offensive" they find their own actions to be. Others try and "justify it" while still others try to draw the same mindset out of the game into the real-world.

It's a fascinating composite environment.
Pierre Dumonte
Mortis Noir.
#26 - 2011-10-19 03:23:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Pierre Dumonte
Mocam wrote:
It's a fascinating composite environment.

what he said

Mortis Noir. is recruiting https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=223392&find=unread" "any ship in space will eventually explode" ~ Minmatar Proverb

FeralShadow
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#27 - 2011-10-19 03:27:42 UTC  |  Edited by: FeralShadow
Hi there. A little background about me: I started playing this game in mid-2005 and have been playing it ever since, sometimes more frequently than others. I'm a pvp centric player, I've done large fleet fights in null security space, I've been a contracted mercenary, and most recently I've been a pirate. I enjoy the shadier sides of the game, though usually I don't do much scamming unless I'm in need of a quick cash infusion. So here is my answer to the questions:

As an overarching statement about how our community and perceptions within the game affects the language within the game, I'll simply say that the terms, such as noob, carebear, pirate, scammer, can certainly be used negatively when referring to individuals. Some, such as Elitist, don't really have any other meanings and are solely used for negative purposes, but the ones I listed int he last sentence have multiple meanings.

Noob can mean either a newbie, or someone legitimately new to the game, or it can mean someone who has chosen not to learn the mechanics of the game or follow game convention in a way that is accepted by the community. For example, a competitive individual can call someone a noob who lost their ship in a way that the person shouldn't have.

Carebear can be used as both ways as well, depending on which side of the PVP fence you sit on. Those like me who are pvp centric generally use carebear in a negative way, meaning someone who has no knowledge or very little knowledge of pvp. Other individuals who concentrate on doing PVE content or playing the market, can call each other or themselves carebear as a term of endearment.

Pirate goes the same way as carebear. For people like me, being called a pirate isnt negative, it's a badge of honor. Likewise, if other people were to call me a carebear to their friends, they may mean it in a negative way.

Scammers are generally negative because scammers, in general, make victims out of everybody. Trust in Eve is a valuable commodity so the community at large dislikes scammers, even though a great many will learn scams from other people and copy them for their own profit. Those who do really well are those who come up with new ideas, never done before, and score big.

Now that I've gotten some of the terms out of the way, I'll explain how values come into play when I play games, such as Eve. My values are rock solid. From the time I was born to the time I left my house, both my parents have taught me that stealing was wrong, that telling the truth is paramount, and to generally just be a good person. My parents are both great examples of role models, and if I'm half the parent to my children that they were to me, I'll be happy. As I've grown up, however, I've come to my own realization that morals aren't all black and white. Cultures have different moral standards, religions have different moral standards, and some things that when you're young you think is absolutely true you come to believe, with age, are not so easy to classify. One classic example is "If your family were starving and on the brink of death with no money and no way to provide for themselves, would you steal food to feed them?" My answer to that would be yes, I would absolutely steal. Even so, I wouldn't kill to feed my family; murder is one line I would not cross.
This moral "grayness" translates into Eve in very different ways than they do in real life. For me, it comes from the fact that this is a game, and I play it for fun. I want to experience this game to its fullest, and that entails taking the game mechanics to teir max, and doing things that I would never do in real life. I have had an amazing amount of fun being a pirate, which entails pillaging the space lanes and "murdering" innocent people. However, since this is a game centered around pixels, I do not, and never will, consider it actual murdering. If someone wanders into my area, they are fair game as outlined by the game mechanics, and if they get angry that they were relieved of their ship and their cargo, it's their own problem for entering that area (ignorance of the game mechanics is not a valid defense for their ships). That is not to say I never regret killing someone. On the contrary, there have been several times where a legitimately new player (or a noob) has wandered into my area, and I have killed them, only to see a few minutes later that they genuinely didn't know. In these cases, I have sent money and have always tried (if they're willing) to train them in how to either avoid more confrontation, or how to survive it. To reiterate, having fun in the game is being able to be someone or do something that I can't do in life.

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

FeralShadow
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#28 - 2011-10-19 03:33:36 UTC

Now to address some of your other questions, and I'll hopefully keep it short-ish:
The real world doesn't affect my Eve experience much, in my experience, because I play the game as an escape and there aren't many things IRL that I can translate into the game. Maybe some leadership, but mostly it's Eve that's taught me things for RL. For example, there have been several RL scams that I have caught because of scam awareness within Eve, believe it or not.
The Eve community is not all that important to me; RL pays for the game time. My Eve Friend community, on the other hand, is far more important to me than the general Eve community.
For me, the Eve community is as real as any other community, even if you don't see people face-to-face. My eve friends play other games with me, and we know each other by first name. We're a tight group of friends. The friends I've made in eve chat on Steam, have even sent me computer parts to fix a broken PC, know my major and ask how things are if things are going bad (or even if they aren't) and they're genuinely concerned. They are equatable to RL friends at this point.
My eve friends circle for me is just as valid as other friend circles. Our commonality simply lies within the game. Other friends may have a commonality in sports or some hobby. It's the same in my book.
Old citizens of Eve definately help. I train many new players to PVP effectively, and show them the ropes. You can't be too concerned with spies or you'll spend all your time being paranoid at ghosts for that one spy.
I would hope that new citizens feel like they belong when they can participate in the day-to-day operations of the group/corporation they are a member of.
Authority in eve comes in two flavors: Character age (you can view it based on their employment history, it gives a rough estimate of their skill level and knowledge), and reputation (well-known trusted third party people like Chribba, or other people like The Mittani as famous leaders of powerful alliances). Anybody remember Seleene?

NightCrawler 85
Phoibe Enterprises
#29 - 2011-10-19 03:58:11 UTC
gfldex wrote:
Velicitia wrote:

About 90% of all players that knocked on BoB member corps doors where turned down. It hurts to be rejected. That's where all the hate came from.

I have to disagree a bit here. It might just be my personal opinion but i honestly dont think that being rejected is why so many people disliked/hated BOB. I think a lot of it has to do with jelousy (sp). Ofc a lot of the **** that happend way way back has something to do with it as well.

New players come into the game. Many would instantly be told what lame cheaters and so on BOB were,and that person will spread it on to the next and so on. Thats how things normally go in smaller communeties. Think about it like that bad neighbor that everyone loves to find dirt on because they have a nice looking yard/house. I think many dont know WHY they dont like BOB,they just know that most people dont and they dont want to be different,or do the proper research.

But you can also think about it like this. BOB was huge for a long time when 0.0 really was the only/best option for "end game" play if you can call it that. The gods of the land of milk and honey. This is were the jelousy part comes into the picture. Think about my exampel with the neighbor with the nice house and yard. Would you ever admit that you are indeed jelous? Heck no,that would be a sign of weakness. But jelousy easly turns into rage,rage turns into hate.And when you dont know anyone who can prove you wrong,who is there to correct this impression?

I can openly admit that yes BOB were good,and they also scared the living **** out of me,and i was right up there cheering when they finally went down (well until i found out how they went down that is,i still dont consider that a real victory,clever perhaps but... ).

Anyway. Every communety needs someone to pick on. The most obvius ones are the ones that are the most succesful. Weather or not you have to make up lies,or tales,anything that can make them look bad,or explain why they are doing so good,people will swallow it raw.Its human nature really.

But i also have to add that i have never actually talked to a BOB member who dident act like a cocky ******* (no offense to anyone,im sure BOB had a lot of good people in it,and i was unlucky enough to just come across the bad ones who let the power go to their heads).

Anyway,this might be something else you can use for your project Marabi?
Narabi Kugisa
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#30 - 2011-10-20 04:11:41 UTC
gfldex wrote:

2) What do you mean with "real world"? If you play football in your spare time, is that not part of the real world? For some it is like a social club to some extend and as with social clubs you may change them when you change town. Is a social club not part of "the real world"? It's a slippery slope to start with a definition and then go and base assumptions on that definition. One could even go so far to say it's a linguistic trick.

I'm not really sure if your answer to my question was a rhetorical way of answering my question/provoking me to reconsider my word usage of the term "real", or if you were sincerely asking whether I really though Eve was less real of a community than others and that I should reconsider my assumptions of such.

If it is the latter then here is my response:

I'm sorry I didn't really think of the implications that the phrase would hold. I didn't mean to imply that Eve was any less real than other communities. I personally think it is just as valid. However, the realm that we live in and the realm of Eve suffer different physical constraints as we experience them and some might be inclined to say that Eve (or the internet for that matter) is less of a reality than the one in which we commonly live in and refer to... so I guess I was asking if anyone that played Eve felt those sentiments or if they felt that Eve is just as valid or even if Eve was a more pertinent reality to them than what we are commonly familiar with. Since I don't know any terms to define this physical difference between our own and Eve, I just pegged "real world" as the reality in which we are most familiar with.
Narabi Kugisa
Caldari State
#31 - 2011-10-20 04:36:15 UTC
Hey all,

I just wanted to ask a few more questions that came to mind after reading everyone's responses. I know that there have been comments about Eve being too young of a community to effectively have created its own language, but I am still going to ask these questions which may sound like I did not read the posts that made that claim...

1) Is there any terminology, slang words, or acronyms that have been dropped out of usage over time in Eve?

2) Is there any new terminology, slang words, or acronyms that have developed over time in Eve?

If your response to these questions is "yes" I would greatly appreciate it if you provided examples and, if you are privy to this information, if you would provide whether it is an strictly Eve phenomenon or if is and internet wide (or at least MMO wide) phenomenon of language development. If you do not know whether it is Eve specific or not that's fine.

Baneken
Arctic Light Inc.
Arctic Light
#32 - 2011-10-20 06:19:02 UTC
In EVE from my experience there are also several sub-communities that exist, those are:

- Language channels
- Corp
- Alliance
- private chat channels

Each of those groups have a feel of their own and their own regulars that form a network and connections of friends and enemies alike.
Most interesting group from all of those is the language channel as anyone talking his native language in those channels automatically becomes part of a community and it's values, also arguments on language channel tend to go deeper and have more direct consequences.
You'd be surprised how many wardecs I've collected from language channel when speaking on my native language (Finnish) in this game.
Neve Talie-Ko
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#33 - 2011-10-20 20:09:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Neve Talie-Ko
Narabi Kugisa wrote:

Since I don't know any terms to define this physical difference between our own and Eve, I just pegged "real world" as the reality in which we are most familiar with.

Castronova (Blog=TerraFirma) uses the term synthetic world to refer to the game universe. He also has a great book on the economics of such named Synthetic Worlds.
Habba'al Zebul
AWE Corporation
Intrepid Crossing
#34 - 2011-10-21 15:37:58 UTC
I wish to digress for a moment to respond to an earlier comment. I would bet that only a few of the jerks in eve (I don't mean pirates or scammers) are nice people in real life. I happen to know one who is a jerk in all that he does, in games and in life. In fact he is quite taken and amused by his trolling attitude. If the jerks online aren't jerks in real life, they probably lack integrity and I wouldn't want to associate with them.

I would venture to say a good lot of them are either school kids who think it's socially acceptable to cyber bully people or adults who never lived past their high school demeanor. The anonymity provided by Eve, other MMOs, and the internet at large makes it very easy for people to display their fears and ignorance in the form of bullying. Let me tell you a story to prove under the right conditions people just don't grow up.

I ran into a road raging mid-40ish yuppie (this is a description, not a defamatory comment) the other day, he chased me down with his SUV into a parking lot and started saying he was going to kick my **** for cutting him off. Apparently 8 car lengths was too close for comfort going 45mph. Before you call me an idiot, you should know that I am a well defended hippie with an arsenal of martial arts and self defense training (paradoxical, I know), plus he was on camera and there were plenty of people present. This was in an area where gun-related crimes were few and far between and half the people present probably had a weapon of their own in their car, another half of which probably had conceal permits. If he made a reaching motion I would have been off the field in a heart beat.

I took off my shoes and moved to about six feet from his window, very calmly expressed my sympathy for his condition and told him if it would make him feel better that he could step out and do his worst, with the only requirement being that he would initiate. I then gave a knowing nod to the parking lot camera. I also identified his shirt and declared that I knew some of his colleagues at work in the IT department, this was a truth.

He raged a bit more, rendered a very immature facial expression that a middle school kid might make, called me a liberal, used a few choice words, and then drove off. The whole time he was -protected- by the door to his vehicle which could represent the lines connecting anonymous users to the internet. He backed down after I removed that anonymity factor.

I would not want to associate with people who live two lives, one being a jerk online just because he or she can get away with it. If I ever found out my real life friends did that, I would have a few choice words of my own and declare him or her a coward and reconsider my friendship with them if they chose to continue.

Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful.

Narabi Kugisa
Caldari State
#35 - 2011-10-24 00:41:04 UTC
Neve Talie-Ko wrote:

Castronova (Blog=TerraFirma) uses the term synthetic world to refer to the game universe. He also has a great book on the economics of such named Synthetic Worlds.

That's really cool! Thank you!
Velicitia
XS Tech
#36 - 2011-10-24 16:04:57 UTC
gfldex wrote:
Velicitia wrote:

About 90% of all players that knocked on BoB member corps doors where turned down. It hurts to be rejected. That's where all the hate came from. And it's m0o. Very important as it's not a name but a symbol. I can't spell it out because the profanity filter would eat it. Think of what kind of internationally understood gesture you can do with one hand. Ask around about the "True -10 Story" and you will understand why they where hated.

see, like i said, nub just hearing legend ... can't even get the damn corp right

Stiwe
Doomheim
#37 - 2011-10-24 18:33:45 UTC
It seems to me the scope of your research is rather broad and, perhaps more importantly, has little to do with discourse. Your questions are more related to social psychology and group dynamics. In fact, none of your dozen (or so) questions relate to discourse or language.

Also, I believe your premise is wrong. You state that "[a] Discourse Community is a grouping of people who have an expert knowledge on something (anything) and their language is a key factor for defining the community." and want to study the EVE community as an example. I don't think language is a "key factor" in defining the EVE community. THE key factor is of course EVE itself, but other factors might be a shared interest in gaming, roleplaying, or the space-theme. Language does not play a role in this, as is evidenced by the fact that the EVE community is split by language - "the Russians" being the most obvious example, but there are large German and French communities too. Plus many corporations are share a particular nationality/language even when using English as their main language in EVE. Furthermore, there are likely to be large differences in discourse of heavy forum-users compared to those members of the EVE community who never visit the forum.

In short, I think you're not doing discourse research and you're not doing it on a discourse community. Good luck with your research paper!
Narabi Kugisa
Caldari State
#38 - 2011-10-25 04:08:58 UTC
Baneken wrote:
In EVE from my experience there are also several sub-communities that exist, those are:

- Language channels
- Corp
- Alliance
- private chat channels

Each of those groups have a feel of their own and their own regulars that form a network and connections of friends and enemies alike.
Most interesting group from all of those is the language channel as anyone talking his native language in those channels automatically becomes part of a community and it's values, also arguments on language channel tend to go deeper and have more direct consequences.
You'd be surprised how many wardecs I've collected from language channel when speaking on my native language (Finnish) in this game.

That's really neat! Thank you!

When you speak Finnish, do you use the Eve terminology in English or is it translated to your native tongue?
More specifically, do terms (like wardec for example) stay in English or are they translated? This may seem...dense but I was just curious.

Wait, do you get wardecs simply for speaking Finnish instead of English?
Narabi Kugisa
Caldari State
#39 - 2011-10-25 06:22:06 UTC
Stiwe wrote:
It seems to me the scope of your research is rather broad and, perhaps more importantly, has little to do with discourse. Your questions are more related to social psychology and group dynamics. In fact, none of your dozen (or so) questions relate to discourse or language.

Also, I believe your premise is wrong. You state that "[a] Discourse Community is a grouping of people who have an expert knowledge on something (anything) and their language is a key factor for defining the community." and want to study the EVE community as an example. I don't think language is a "key factor" in defining the EVE community. THE key factor is of course EVE itself, but other factors might be a shared interest in gaming, roleplaying, or the space-theme. Language does not play a role in this, as is evidenced by the fact that the EVE community is split by language - "the Russians" being the most obvious example, but there are large German and French communities too. Plus many corporations are share a particular nationality/language even when using English as their main language in EVE. Furthermore, there are likely to be large differences in discourse of heavy forum-users compared to those members of the EVE community who never visit the forum.

In short, I think you're not doing discourse research and you're not doing it on a discourse community. Good luck with your research paper!

Thank you for bringing up how "Key Factor" was an inappropriate phrase used in my definition in "Discourse Communities". I apologize for that confusion. I should have stated that the language of a discourse community is a means of defining it linguistically from other communities and can be a key factor of definition. Really, the only major qualification for a discourse community is that there is communication. I do think Eve does fall into this category since there is communication. A community also does not have to be united. There are many communities in the world that a split into sub communities due to differences. I believe that communities are not devoid of conflict, but rather that conflicts, tensions, or splits are inherent to a community. However, I should have clarified this. Sorry.

However, I will not apologize for my broad questions that might not seem directly concerned with language. I prefer to ask broad questions to get a overall understanding of my topic so I can figure out what thesis I will narrow down to, rather than picking a narrow topic and trying to puzzle piece information to that. I work better allowing the research to guide my argument instead of finding evidence to fit my argument. I also think that leads to potentially biased information. This is how I work.

Also, I believe that language does not separately develop from the community, but that it develops to meet the community's needs and works within the architecture of the environment set up by the community. This can include a multitude of things including the dynamics of the community as well as the psychology of the community, which I feel forms the semantics and pragmatics of the language. For example, the game's premise of being sci-fi themed directly affects that the language used will fit within the constraints of language typically used for science fiction rather than, say, fantasy.
So, I do not think my questions are devoid of value for discussing the discourse of a community.

I also think that language does not have to be limited to define a community. I think the broadness of languages says something about Eve and defines it as a global community.

Thank you for your criticism and concern for my project .
Mealtrom
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#40 - 2011-10-25 06:49:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Mealtrom
Narabi Kugisa wrote:
However, I will not apologize for my broad questions that might not seem directly concerned with language. I prefer to ask broad questions to get a overall understanding of my topic so I can figure out what thesis I will narrow down to, rather than picking a narrow topic and trying to puzzle piece information to that. I work better allowing the research to guide my argument instead of finding evidence to fit my argument. I also think that leads to potentially biased information. This is how I work.

I'll give you some unsolicited advise here, because I don't think these people really care about the semantics. You should be careful asking point blank questions about comparing the "reality" of Eve to RL. There is no faster way to put Eve players in a defensive crouch than to give them the impression you are writing another "MMO gaming as pathology" paper. Most of us are upwardly mobile 18-30 year old geeks who strongly associate that kind of language with the sensationalist backlash against RPGs we grew up with. The shut-in MMO fantasist is one of the most painful and enduring gamer stereotypes, and as you can tell invoking it can still make some people a touch hostile.

As for your questions I'll give you an anecdote. Its hard to give you helpful answers without knowing the thrust of your thesis, but I know you can't tell us that without poisoning the proverbial well.

Corporate cultures in Eve vary wildly in Eve and their language tends to reflect this. One of the best examples of this is Goonswarm. You seem to have at least a passing familiarity with them but I'll rehash the story again since its a good one. Goonswarm migrated to the game in 06 from a shock humor site called "Something Awful". Back then the game was much smaller and much more insular, and the goons (as they call themselves) had a hard time breaking into other alliances. They responded by leveraging their weight of numbers and aggressively marketing themselves to newbies, a demographic long thought useless for their lack of discipline and inability to use large ships. Goons were some of the first to do wide scale recruiting drives, even using propaganda posters, songs, and newbie friendly training operations. The resulting power bloc they created has had two enduring features. One is an irreverent, subversive MO. Goons love to mess with people and their mocking, self deprecating slogans reflect it ("Internet spaceships are serious business!", "We're awful at this game", "BAD POSTING", "Welp"). The second feature is a massive persecution complex. Goons started as underdogs and even when they controlled huge portions of the game map they continued to think along these lines. Fellow corp mates are "Goons" (and must at least be tolerated if not respected). Everybody else is "pubbies" (who you are virtually duty bound to harass and destroy). Their old reliance on human wave tactics, theft, and suicide operations have lived on too. Many of their operations and promotional materials borrow from resistance movements (the intentionally inflammatory "Jihadswarm" department for instance), even though they now have a respectable navy of their own. I think currently they're trying to destabilize the galactic economy by creating a fuel shortage and, to paraphrase Mittens, "lazily backstroking through a lake of tears."

Another thing you might find interesting is the shorthand. Eve rewards those who can communicate huge amounts of information efficiently, so intelligence channels have developed a dizzying shorthand. Its not uncommon to see things like "10 WN Lit NV" ("I've spotted ten White Noise pilots in the Litom system but I don't have visual confirmation of their ship types"). Like everything else every alliance has their own slightly different system, but a lot of it carries over.

Anyways I hope any of that is helpful, its late and I had to rewrite it so its a bit of a text wall. Hope you can tell us more about what you're doing as you go too. Who knows, if you stick around long enough and refine your thesis some of us might even kick in and start funding your research with game time codes. Now that my illegal drug business is doing well I can afford to be a patron of the humanities. Blink
Previous page123Next page