These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Mission Issues

Author
John Ratcliffe
Tradors'R'us
IChooseYou Holdings
#1 - 2012-10-21 20:22:36 UTC
I'm getting fed up of wankers jumping into missions in Merlins or whatever and stealing my loot. Other than not running missions at all, what can I do about it? Last time I shot at a loot thief, the guy jumped out and came back in a Nightmare and WTF pwned me, not keen to lose a 2 Bn ISK PVE hull again.

I had thought about running a 3rd account and training a Frigate pilot to web/scram the offender and then blow him up. If he then returns in a bigger PVP hull can he attack me straight off? Or do I need to attack him again?

Not sure what's best. I really don't want to blow my own loot up when I'm running the missions for tags or whatever.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Zhilia Mann
Tide Way Out Productions
#2 - 2012-10-21 20:30:43 UTC
Move to a less busy mission area. Ninjas aren't all that pervasive.
Derath Ellecon
Lotek Academy
#3 - 2012-10-21 20:42:24 UTC
Zhilia Mann wrote:
Move to a less busy mission area. Ninjas aren't all that pervasive.

This. I don't run missions anymore but when I did I never had ninja issues
Raiko Osburn
MUSE LLP
RAZOR Alliance
#4 - 2012-10-21 21:26:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Raiko Osburn
John Ratcliffe wrote:
I'm getting fed up of wankers jumping into missions in Merlins or whatever and stealing my loot. Other than not running missions at all, what can I do about it? Last time I shot at a loot thief, the guy jumped out and came back in a Nightmare and WTF pwned me, not keen to lose a 2 Bn ISK PVE hull again.

I had thought about running a 3rd account and training a Frigate pilot to web/scram the offender and then blow him up. If he then returns in a bigger PVP hull can he attack me straight off? Or do I need to attack him again?

Not sure what's best. I really don't want to blow my own loot up when I'm running the missions for tags or whatever.

There are pvpiers who don't run missions, don't do wormholes, don't do plex. They scan down mission runners who have few billions worth ships and try to get them agressed. Once they do, pvpier is few hundred millions richer. This is how they make money and only way how to avoid it is leaving all wrecks as soon as someone warps to your place or simply find another place to do missions.

And yes, this is valid tactic how to get PVE players killed. If you are not ready to PvP, don't shoot merlins Big smile

Forget numbers, play with ideas, look for solutions.

John Ratcliffe
Tradors'R'us
IChooseYou Holdings
#5 - 2012-10-21 22:10:45 UTC
Raiko Osburn wrote:
John Ratcliffe wrote:

There are pvpiers who don't run missions, don't do wormholes, don't do plex. They scan down mission runners who have few billions worth ships and try to get them agressed. Once they do, pvpier is few hundred millions richer. This is how they make money and only way how to avoid it is leaving all wrecks as soon as someone warps to your place or simply find another place to do missions.

And yes, this is valid tactic how to get PVE players killed. If you are not ready to PvP, don't shoot merlins Big smile

I'm sorry but that's a pretty BS play style. In any other game it'd be called griefing and the player would be banned. I f*cking hate that this allowed in Eve. But whatever, cry more etc.

I don't see why I should leave my wrecks. Why should they benefit from my efforts? It's wrong.

Jack Miton
Perkone
Caldari State
#6 - 2012-10-21 22:45:22 UTC
You could stop caring about largely worthless loot for starters.
You'll make more by blitzing missions and ignoring loot anyway.

There is no Bob.

Stuck In Here With Me:  http://sihwm.blogspot.com.au/

Down the Pipe:  http://feeds.feedburner.com/CloakyScout

Paikis
Vapour Holdings
#7 - 2012-10-21 22:52:46 UTC
Jack Miton wrote:
You could stop caring about largely worthless loot for starters.
You'll make more by blitzing missions and ignoring loot anyway.

This.

John Ratcliffe wrote:
cry more etc.

And this.
Zor'katar
Matari Recreation
#8 - 2012-10-21 22:58:09 UTC
John Ratcliffe wrote:
I don't see why I should leave my wrecks. Why should they benefit from my efforts? It's wrong.

Another alternative is to shoot the wrecks. You don't get anything, but neither do they.

But the first couple of replies had the right idea. There's lots of space out there too quiet for most ninjas to bother with.
Caleidascope
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2012-10-21 23:08:24 UTC
John Ratcliffe wrote:
Raiko Osburn wrote:
John Ratcliffe wrote:

I'm sorry but that's a pretty BS play style. In any other game it'd be called griefing and the player would be banned. I f*cking hate that this allowed in Eve. But whatever, cry more etc.

You can always quit. There are plenty of safe games out there.

Life is short and dinner time is chancy

Eat dessert first!

Dilligafmofo
The Branded Few
#10 - 2012-10-22 06:56:04 UTC
OP resist the urge to shoot at them. If you absolutely have to, once you have shot them warp directly to the nearest station dock and sit out the aggression timer.

As stated, the loot is mostly worthless, the ninja isn't after the loot anyway, he is there to p1ss you off until you get the urge to shoot. By aggressing him, you give him everything he wants.

Ignore them, or move somewhere quieter.
TheSkeptic
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2012-10-22 08:09:26 UTC
John Ratcliffe wrote:

This would be pretty lol, train the frig pilot into an ab griffin, scram, web and jam the ninja. Do not kill him! Just hold him in place. The worst that'll happen is he actually fits some guns and manages to kill a griffin. Best is you greif the greifer and given trying that again on you will waste him 30mins to an hour of being unable to do anything he'll probably not bother again.

If you do want to kill him, finish your mission first, dock up and change ships, come back and volley him, dock up again and go afk for 20m so your aggression timer has expired.

Nestara Aldent
Citimatics
#12 - 2012-10-22 08:17:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Nestara Aldent
John Ratcliffe wrote:

Well thats what makes EVE unique, and why ppl love it so much, even though its a horrid game TBH in many ways - its a sandbox with few rules. You wanna be a villain? You can rly be one.

So read about the game 1st next time you buy it and sub (or in other words HTFU or GTFO). For a PVP game its not brutal at all. Ever heard of Diablo II hardcore mode, where you lose a char after you die (and all levels, gear) - its called permadeath?

Its amazing how ppl sub to a PVP game with full loot, and then qq about pvp!
Doddy
Excidium.
#13 - 2012-10-22 11:05:18 UTC
Ignore them - loot is only a small part of mission value in any case and they will ignore you once they know you wont react.
Defy them - Pop the wrecks yourself so they gain nothing from your inaction
Kill them - works really well with your alt idea, just remember not to agress with your pve ship. Otherwise come back in a pvp ship on your main.
Move - The vast majority of mission systems in eve do not have ninjas.

The winter changes are going to help you in any case, the change to npc mechanics means there will be a chance of the rats killing any ninja for you, and crimewatch means they will become a target for anyone when they steal for you. For example the nightmare that killed you before would be shootable by anyone when he undocked from changing ship Twisted Still all the talented ninjas will work round these things.
John Ratcliffe
Tradors'R'us
IChooseYou Holdings
#14 - 2012-10-22 11:27:42 UTC
Thanks guys, great replies. Food for thought.

Aptenodytes
Reckless Abandon
#15 - 2012-10-22 11:46:16 UTC
Your response really should depend on why they are ninjaing you.

a) For profit. The income is maybe 5-10 mil an hour if you're lucky, but it can be done with virtually no skill points and a very cheap ship. It is extremely lucrative for a new player but anyone who can fly a BS, can make more by doing their own missions. There is a lot of time spent probing and warping in and out of crap missions, where there's either no loot, or rat spawning causes the ninja to get agro. Best way to put this type off is to shoot them. They will either move on to someone else, or just salvage (not loot steal) to avoid being flagged.

b) To bait you into shooting them, to kill you and steal your faction loot. Probably will be an older character doing it. Best way to deal with them is to ignore them, or abandon your wrecks. Or even convo him, and ask him if he'd like to have your loot, because you don't want it. He will see that you are not going to shoot him, and will move on to more trigger-happy prey.

c) Just for a laugh. Not really much you can do about this bro, except move somewhere less busy. It is quite funny to steal a mission item and ransom it back to the mission runner. I have learned several highly amusing Russian insults this way.

Unfortunately it can be quite difficult telling which type of ninja you are dealing with!
bufnitza calatoare
#16 - 2012-10-22 12:28:01 UTC
for the pultry sum of 2b isk. I shall give you the PERFECT mission system to run in.

if you can make 350k lp a week you shall clear a easy 1b isk every 360k lp.
Idris Helion
Doomheim
#17 - 2012-10-22 16:09:17 UTC
John Ratcliffe wrote:

EVE has the reputation of being a griefer's heaven for a reason. For some reason, CCP finds it worthwhile to court the e-peeners and d-bags that have been banned from every other MMO.

*shrug*

They're easy enough to avoid. They're d-bags, but they're also lazy and easily bored. Their ADHD will kick in soon enough and lead them elsewhere.

Also: don't mission-run in Caldari space, but if you must, stay far from Jita. The less crowded your system is, the better chance you will have of avoiding pests.
mama guru
Yazatas.
#18 - 2012-10-22 17:18:22 UTC
Eve is like Wal-Mart without the peanut warnings.

People who blow 2 billion isk on a ship and loose it because they shot an obvious agression bait are essential to the economy of pvpers everywhere.

EVE online is the fishermans friend of MMO's. If it's too hard you are too weak.