These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

DPS and Volley Damage

Author
Hoeto Popo
wanton 2b alone
#1 - 2012-10-21 20:36:44 UTC
I have a Rokh fitted and am using it for level 4 missions, slowly at the moment but I wanted the ship when i saw it, its perdy...

Ive see 350mm and 425mm fits and something that crops up quite often is DPS and volley damage.

Whats the difference?

My 350mm fit has 458 DPS and 1651 Volley damage.
the 425mm fit has 475 DPS and 2271 Volley damage.

I am probably being a bit dim but why the big difference? what is the difference? is it worth upgrading to 425`s?

I know I should probably fly a raven but I have and dont want to anymore, long live the Caldari Railgun!!

Cheers
Tao Dolcino
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2012-10-21 20:57:10 UTC
If a weapon makes much more damage by volley but not more dps (damage per second) it's certainly because its rate of fire is slower.
Hans Zwaardhandler
Origin.
Black Legion...
#3 - 2012-10-21 21:29:33 UTC
As a general rule of thumb for rails and projectile weapons, the higher the caliber, the more volley damage that they will do. They will track slower and fire slower than their smaller caliber brethren, but they have a greater range and greater crushing damage potential that can silence an enemy in one blow. Smaller calibers can edge out their larger cousins with the ability to swing around and hit smaller, faster targets more easily, but they won't deal that much damage compared to larger calibers.
Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#4 - 2012-10-21 21:30:50 UTC
Yes it is worth upgrading. No it can not do L4s well.
Marc Callan
Lucifer's Hammer
A Band Apart.
#5 - 2012-10-21 21:44:12 UTC
Also, smaller-caliber guns have more forgiving CPU and powergrid fitting requirements.

And yeah, the Rokh has some weaknesses with regard to L4 mission running. The primary one is its drone bay, which only holds 50m3 - enough for one flight of medium drones or two flights of lights, but no more. In addition, the Rokh's main guns are limited to thermal and kinetic damage, unlike missile boats and projectile gunships.

A solo L4 missioning ship really needs to be able to handle frigates, cruisers, and battleships all at the same time, and the Rokh doesn't really have the chops for it. Of course, if you bring someone to fly your wing and handle lighter craft, then you're golden.

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegurt

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#6 - 2012-10-21 21:58:39 UTC
High Volley has the ability to do fun things like blow straight past peak recharge for shields.

A equal dps, but lower volley might not do that.

The range of the big guns also tends to be higher.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

J'Poll
Perkone
Caldari State
#7 - 2012-10-21 22:17:54 UTC
Hans Zwaardhandler wrote:
As a general rule of thumb for rails and projectile weapons, the higher the caliber, the more volley damage that they will do. They will track slower and fire slower than their smaller caliber brethren, but they have a greater range and greater crushing damage potential that can silence an enemy in one blow. Smaller calibers can edge out their larger cousins with the ability to swing around and hit smaller, faster targets more easily, but they won't deal that much damage compared to larger calibers.

Hans, get out of New Citizen Q&A, it's my home.P

BTW good solid advice

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club