These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Looking for a nice ship for exploration

Author
Rezor Preatorius
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2012-10-20 11:08:12 UTC
I want to try exploration in hig/low sec. It will be done with 2 accounts, one for scanning/hacking and one for shooting stuff.
So i'm looking for some tips on what the combat pilot should fly. I want to be able to do the hardest sites that can be found in low/high sec (if it is possible to solo them),
I was first thinking about flying t3 but the thought that there probably is something cheaper that will do the job just as good.

Any tips with ships and fitting is welcome
Nihil Nobilitae
The Scarlet Storm
#2 - 2012-10-20 11:50:27 UTC
Ishtar, Proteus or Gila are all excellent options capable of soloing most 3\10's to 6\10s and still fit a cloak. Same about Loki and Tengu which can fit 6 guns/launchers + faction cloak. Cerberus should probably be capable of most as well

For probing up until today I'd reccomend a Cheetah but a smartbombing Rook at a gate today made me change my mind so I'm getting that damn interdiction nullified Loki instead. ;p A Proteus or a Pilgrim could also be great choices.
Destination SkillQueue
Doomheim
#3 - 2012-10-20 11:54:21 UTC
There are many ships that can solo all the exploration sites in low/high, but T3 are the best by a significant margin IMO. If you use something bigger than a cruiser, you can't do most of the highsec sites. You're also limited to battlecruiser hulls, since anything bigger won't be able to do the highsec sites. That really leaves you with very limited options. Basicly you're going to use a T2 cruiser, a T3 or a faction cruiser, if you want to do it all. Battlecruiser if you're cheap and are willing to limit the highsec sites available to you.

What actual ship to use depends on what you can fly. Different races have their usual exploration ships in different ship classes. Every T3 can be made to be a capable exploration ship.
Rezor Preatorius
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2012-10-20 11:59:11 UTC
I was thinking the same thing about cruiser hulls so i'm choosing one of what you said: t2, t3 or faction,
I can fly almost all of it, so i'm not limited by sp, and that is what makes it hard to choose hehe
Rel'k Bloodlor
Federation Front Line Report
Federation Front Line
#5 - 2012-10-20 12:35:49 UTC
I like Gila's can do it all on there own and NPC ewar means nothing to them.

I wanted to paint my space ship red, but I couldn't find enough goats. 

Rezor Preatorius
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2012-10-20 19:40:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Rezor Preatorius
how much tank would i need on ishtar or tengu in hardest sites?

i've came up with this fit:

[Ishtar, New Setup 1]
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Tracking Enhancer II

Republic Fleet 10MN Afterburner
Pithi B-Type Small Shield Booster
Pithum C-Type Kinetic Deflection Amplifier
Pithum C-Type Thermic Dissipation Amplifier
Omnidirectional Tracking Link I

250mm Railgun II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge M
[empty high slot]
[empty high slot]

Medium Processor Overclocking Unit I
Medium Anti-Thermal Screen Reinforcer I

Ogre II x5
Zyella Stormborn
Green Seekers
#7 - 2012-10-21 00:09:26 UTC
Ishtar is one of the most popular exploration ships out there, but with a second pilot I am not sure if it is the best or not. Great all around boat for it however.

There is a special Hell for people like that, Right next to child molestors, and people that talk in the theater. ~Firefly

Katran Luftschreck
Royal Ammatar Engineering Corps
#8 - 2012-10-21 01:16:07 UTC
Arbitrator is a surprisingly good exploration ship. Unlike dang near every other Amarr ship, that one actually has a sensible number mid-slots, so you can fit both an Analyzer and Decryptor no problem. Having 4 high slots but only 2 actual turrets means that you've got space for a Salvager and Probe Launcher lined up for you. Since most of it's combat potential is in drones you really don't need to fuss over the turrets much. The rest of it's fitting can go towards defense modules and whatnot.

http://youtu.be/t0q2F8NsYQ0

Ireland VonVicious
Vicious Trading Company
#9 - 2012-10-21 03:02:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Ireland VonVicious
Gila for shields. Pirate
Istar for armor. Twisted

T3 because you want to feel special. Roll

T1 cruiser because you are one broke pilot. Oops
Zyella Stormborn
Green Seekers
#10 - 2012-10-21 03:42:54 UTC
Pilgrim is also fun

There is a special Hell for people like that, Right next to child molestors, and people that talk in the theater. ~Firefly

Destination SkillQueue
Doomheim
#11 - 2012-10-21 06:01:37 UTC
Rezor Preatorius wrote:

[Ishtar, New Setup 1]
Tracking Enhancer II

[empty high slot]
[empty high slot]

Ogre II x5

2 race specific hardeners, keeping your range and speed up and boost amplifier+T2 booster/2xT2 armor reppers will do for a tank, but that isn't the real problem. You can also use deadspace modules for easy mode tanking or because of slot layout limitations, but I didn't see any use for it, since T2 will handle everything just fine. But most ships will be able to handle all the normal fights, so that isn't the issue. The real problem is the few harder parts where there are special requirements for survival.

For example if you do the hardest lowsec serpentis site, you must be able to handle heavy neuting towers. That means loads of warping about or preferably weapons and tank invulnerable to neuts. I think most 5/10 sites of every faction also have a nasty final room where you'll get 3 stasis towers engage you on warpin along with a incoming heavy hitting fleet. The issue there isn't just your tank, but your ability to kill all 3 towers and get your speed up before the fleet can get on top of you or killing the target, bookmarking the wreck and warping out in time. That means good long range damage projection and tank with smart target selection.
Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#12 - 2012-10-21 06:53:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Riot Girl
If you had something with an armour tank and low cap usage, it would give you some free mid slots for an Analyzer and a Codebreaker. If it had a utility high for a probe launcher or a cloak, it would be perfect. I wonder what kind of Sacrilege would be the best Sacrilege.
nat longshot
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2012-10-21 06:59:12 UTC
Rezor Preatorius wrote:

[Ishtar, New Setup 1]
Tracking Enhancer II

[empty high slot]
[empty high slot]

Ogre II x5

A ishtar trying to run a 4/10 site you can find in high sec would melt you dont have the tank or the speed to handle it.

[13:12:18] CCP Punkturis nat longshot you're a cutie.. OH YAH I WIN!!

Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#14 - 2012-10-21 11:37:16 UTC
nat longshot wrote:

A ishtar trying to run a 4/10 site you can find in high sec would melt you dont have the tank or the speed to handle it.

Hilarious Big smile

4/10s are T1-cruiser level content, I've ran Serp, Guri and Blood 4/10s in a Vexor. Ishtar can solo at least 8/10s (haven't found higher ones yet as I rarely explore in null), of course depending on the faction. Ishtar naturally works best in Guristas and Serpentis space, can be fitted to be adequate in Blood/Sansha space and struggles against Angels.

Ships and sites have different methods and recipes for success. You don't even need any active tank at all for some sites. Sentry drone tactics can be very powerful :)

That shield fit looks perfectly passable. I prefer armor so I can fit two T2 Omnidirs and a point*, and favour blasters for their easier fitting, better tracking against frigs and higher dps against structures and battleships.

* if you intend to contest in hisec Guristas Scout Outposts, you'll might consider a point, a neut and heavy EM drones for the rare, but lucrative occasion when your opponent manages to snag the loot that you unvariably win in your Ishtar Blink

Fit codebreakers and analyzers on your covops alt, salvager as well if it has free highs. I keep a salvager on the Ishtar.

stg slate
State War Academy
Caldari State
#15 - 2012-10-22 13:37:49 UTC
nat longshot wrote:

I've run all the 4/10s in an ishtar, a tengu, and a kiting caracal(scoot and shoot 4tw).

Please don't spread ignorance.