These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12
 

Anonymous exposes internet CREEP!

Author
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#21 - 2012-10-17 19:37:41 UTC
Bane Necran wrote:
Kehro Urgus wrote:
Even worse. Into the streets cold hard streets of Toronto. Shocked


That seems a little excessive.


Could've been worse... Could've exiled him to Quebec Ugh

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Evelyn Meiyi
Corvidae Trading and Holding
#22 - 2012-10-18 01:31:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Evelyn Meiyi
Bane Necran wrote:
Kehro Urgus wrote:
Even worse. Into the streets cold hard streets of Toronto. Shocked


That seems a little excessive.


I disagree -- as an employee of Big and Tall, he violated company policy, and did so in a way that could do damage to the company's reputation. If I'd done something so egregious during my employment with T-Mobile, they would have fired me on the spot.
Kehro Urgus
Dark Nebula Academy
O X I D E
#23 - 2012-10-18 01:41:19 UTC
Evelyn Meiyi wrote:
Bane Necran wrote:
Kehro Urgus wrote:
Even worse. Into the streets cold hard streets of Toronto. Shocked


That seems a little excessive.


I disagree -- as an employee of Big and Tall, he violated company policy, and did so in a way that could do damage to the company's reputation. If I'd done something so egregious during my employment with T-Mobile, they would have fired me on the spot.


That is correct. I've known several people who were let go for misconduct outside of the workplace. Some of them were unionized and even their union wouldn't even help them.

People who disagree with this person's termination are clinging to the right to free speech mantra but when someone posts "It's about time this b*tch died" on a memorial page, that isn't voicing an opinion. It is just looking to offend people. Sucks for him he pi$$ed off the wrong person.

Yeeee! 

Brock Nelson
#24 - 2012-10-18 05:29:47 UTC
*sigh*

OP should've waited...RCMP already called bullshit

Try not to start another witch hunt until you get all of your facts together mmmaky?

Signature removed, CCP Phantom

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#25 - 2012-10-18 23:20:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Surfin's PlunderBunny
Brock Nelson wrote:
*sigh*

OP should've waited...RCMP already called bullshit

Try not to start another witch hunt until you get all of your facts together mmmaky?


That's not the way we do things around these parts Straight

Also those damn Canadians are lying again

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Evelyn Meiyi
Corvidae Trading and Holding
#26 - 2012-10-19 04:59:30 UTC
Brock Nelson wrote:
*sigh*

OP should've waited...RCMP already called bullshit

Try not to start another witch hunt until you get all of your facts together mmmaky?


Witht he amount of people calling for vigilante justice, I'm not surprised they'd say that.
Kehro Urgus
Dark Nebula Academy
O X I D E
#27 - 2012-10-19 07:30:39 UTC
Evelyn Meiyi wrote:
Brock Nelson wrote:
*sigh*

OP should've waited...RCMP already called bullshit

Try not to start another witch hunt until you get all of your facts together mmmaky?


Witht he amount of people calling for vigilante justice, I'm not surprised they'd say that.


They didn't come right out and say it either way. He was recently in court on unrelated charges relating to some sort of sexual misconduct with a minor which had nothing to do with the girl who committed suicide.

The main reason I created this thread is since I've been a player in Eve, I've witnessed a very hotly debated instance of 'cyberbullying' just within the community (Mittanigate) and the trolling that occurred on the various Vile Rat memorial threads which drew some fiery responses even from CCP staff.

I saw some resonance and decided to throw it out there for debate. In hindsight I could've worded my opening post differently. It wasn't meant to start a 'witchhunt' .

Yeeee! 

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#28 - 2012-10-19 07:46:45 UTC
Telegram Sam wrote:
Good job Anonymous. But as the legal system guy said, it's kind of dangerous to have hackers acting as as investigator, judge, jury, and publicist.



The way the media and lapdog journalists are failing, hackers may be the only thing left towards any truth in the world.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Caldari Citizen20090217
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#29 - 2012-10-19 15:04:49 UTC
Kehro Urgus wrote:

People who disagree with this person's termination are clinging to the right to free speech mantra but when someone posts "It's about time this b*tch died" on a memorial page, that isn't voicing an opinion. It is just looking to offend people. Sucks for him he pi$$ed off the wrong person.


The right to free speech is an absolute one. You either have it or you don't. You cannot have the right to free speech so long as noone is offended, because someone is always offended.

Disclaimer: I agree the guy posting the offensive comment was a douche. Costing him his income and/or giving him a criminal record is a bit excessive however.
Kehro Urgus
Dark Nebula Academy
O X I D E
#30 - 2012-10-19 21:24:33 UTC
Caldari Citizen20090217 wrote:
Kehro Urgus wrote:

People who disagree with this person's termination are clinging to the right to free speech mantra but when someone posts "It's about time this b*tch died" on a memorial page, that isn't voicing an opinion. It is just looking to offend people. Sucks for him he pi$$ed off the wrong person.


The right to free speech is an absolute one. You either have it or you don't. You cannot have the right to free speech so long as noone is offended, because someone is always offended.

Disclaimer: I agree the guy posting the offensive comment was a douche. Costing him his income and/or giving him a criminal record is a bit excessive however.


His employer terminated him for violating the company's code of ethics. The same result would have occurred if his employer discovered his comment on their own. This does not impinge on his right to free speech as he and others remain free to say what they like however this right can be limited. In Canada, the guarantee of freedom of expression and other rights under the the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms are not absolute and can be limited under certain situations.

As far as I know he hasn't been charged with anything.

Yeeee! 

Ares Desideratus
UNSAFE SPACE
#31 - 2012-10-19 22:49:38 UTC
people make mistakes

crucifying the dude that did this will just be another one
Sebastian LaFleur
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#32 - 2012-10-20 12:58:48 UTC
Ares Desideratus wrote:
people make mistakes

crucifying the dude that did this will just be another one


I'm not sure which dude you're talking about (the one who did the extortion with the pictures or the one who got fired because of the comments he made regarding the issue), but in either case the actions go beyond just being mistakes because both show forethough (then again, lot's of people post garbage to internet without even proof reading what they wrote...) in addition to lack of decency or empathy.

Mistake is something you do by accident without intent. Still, some mistakes are serious enough to require punishment.

Expand consciousness. Travel without moving. 

Caldari Citizen20090217
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#33 - 2012-10-20 14:57:13 UTC
Kehro Urgus wrote:
Caldari Citizen20090217 wrote:
Kehro Urgus wrote:

People who disagree with this person's termination are clinging to the right to free speech mantra but when someone posts "It's about time this b*tch died" on a memorial page, that isn't voicing an opinion. It is just looking to offend people. Sucks for him he pi$$ed off the wrong person.


The right to free speech is an absolute one. You either have it or you don't. You cannot have the right to free speech so long as noone is offended, because someone is always offended.

Disclaimer: I agree the guy posting the offensive comment was a douche. Costing him his income and/or giving him a criminal record is a bit excessive however.


His employer terminated him for violating the company's code of ethics. The same result would have occurred if his employer discovered his comment on their own. This does not impinge on his right to free speech as he and others remain free to say what they like however this right can be limited. In Canada, the guarantee of freedom of expression and other rights under the the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms are not absolute and can be limited under certain situations.

As far as I know he hasn't been charged with anything.


His employer terminated his income for expressing an opinion (however unsavoury). Therefore your statement "This does not impinge on his right to free speech" seems a little hard to justify.

Private companies enforcing their own codes of ethics on people with no accountability is not a good direction to go in.
Kehro Urgus
Dark Nebula Academy
O X I D E
#34 - 2012-10-20 15:51:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Kehro Urgus
NVM... goddamn quote tree mucked up my post and I dont have time to retype right now. Oops

Yeeee! 

Elias Greyhand
#35 - 2012-10-20 17:30:23 UTC
The one thing that makes me genuinely angry is seeing stories in the newspaper about another teenager - ususally a girl - who has commited suicide because of bullying of any kind.

"That which is done cannot be undone. But it can be avenged."

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#36 - 2012-10-20 18:18:24 UTC
Caldari Citizen20090217 wrote:
Kehro Urgus wrote:
Caldari Citizen20090217 wrote:
Kehro Urgus wrote:

People who disagree with this person's termination are clinging to the right to free speech mantra but when someone posts "It's about time this b*tch died" on a memorial page, that isn't voicing an opinion. It is just looking to offend people. Sucks for him he pi$$ed off the wrong person.


The right to free speech is an absolute one. You either have it or you don't. You cannot have the right to free speech so long as noone is offended, because someone is always offended.

Disclaimer: I agree the guy posting the offensive comment was a douche. Costing him his income and/or giving him a criminal record is a bit excessive however.


His employer terminated him for violating the company's code of ethics. The same result would have occurred if his employer discovered his comment on their own. This does not impinge on his right to free speech as he and others remain free to say what they like however this right can be limited. In Canada, the guarantee of freedom of expression and other rights under the the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms are not absolute and can be limited under certain situations.

As far as I know he hasn't been charged with anything.


His employer terminated his income for expressing an opinion (however unsavoury). Therefore your statement "This does not impinge on his right to free speech" seems a little hard to justify.

Private companies enforcing their own codes of ethics on people with no accountability is not a good direction to go in.


You're free to say whatever you want, just be prepared to pay for whatever you say

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Ares Desideratus
UNSAFE SPACE
#37 - 2012-10-20 20:57:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Ares Desideratus
Sebastian LaFleur wrote:
Ares Desideratus wrote:
people make mistakes

crucifying the dude that did this will just be another one


I'm not sure which dude you're talking about (the one who did the extortion with the pictures or the one who got fired because of the comments he made regarding the issue), but in either case the actions go beyond just being mistakes because both show forethough (then again, lot's of people post garbage to internet without even proof reading what they wrote...) in addition to lack of decency or empathy.

Mistake is something you do by accident without intent. Still, some mistakes are serious enough to require punishment.

I think an accident is something you do by accident

Mistake can be purposely done by someone who did not know better / wasn't fully informed and they can regret it later, just cause it's done on purpose doesnt mean it isnt a mistake - just means it wasnt an accident

TBH, I was talking about the dude who extorted her, but that was before I read the full article. Supposedly he checks out child porn sites and **** like that. Is there any kind of punishment he would get just for spreading those pictures around? Like forget everything else, is it illegal to blackmail her with those nude photos she sent him or whatever?

This dude is ****** either way, he really messed up, what he did wasn't as bad as molesting a kid or something but since she actually killed herself.... yeah, probably gonna get a pretty severe punishment.
Borascus
#38 - 2012-10-20 21:16:49 UTC
Seeing this reminded me of a story from well over a year ago where someone living next door to a teenage girl did the following:

Set up a social networking profile as a young lad (same age as her neighbour).

Started "net-dating yo" the teenage girl next door, whilst pretending to be the young lad.

Split up with the young girl "as the young lad"

Then the middle aged woman sat on her porch knitting or w/e whilst the teenager ran out of the house next door crying her eyes out.


Saying that though, the middle aged woman that sat there like that, carrying on like that until the teenage girl took her own life, went a bit further than being an internet troll asking for money for pictures.

Gotta be honest though, didn't see if that woman got prosecuted as it was one of the first times that something like that was reported on (outside of people lending imaginary swords to their friends while they went on holiday, coming back off holiday to find the friend sold it and going round "equipped" )

Ares Desideratus
UNSAFE SPACE
#39 - 2012-10-20 22:09:29 UTC
Borascus wrote:
Seeing this reminded me of a story from well over a year ago where someone living next door to a teenage girl did the following:

Set up a social networking profile as a young lad (same age as her neighbour).

Started "net-dating yo" the teenage girl next door, whilst pretending to be the young lad.

Split up with the young girl "as the young lad"

Then the middle aged woman sat on her porch knitting or w/e whilst the teenager ran out of the house next door crying her eyes out.


Saying that though, the middle aged woman that sat there like that, carrying on like that until the teenage girl took her own life, went a bit further than being an internet troll asking for money for pictures.

Gotta be honest though, didn't see if that woman got prosecuted as it was one of the first times that something like that was reported on (outside of people lending imaginary swords to their friends while they went on holiday, coming back off holiday to find the friend sold it and going round "equipped" )


I had to read that a few times to understand the story. She committed suicide because a random stranger E-dated and broke up with her? Or was the old lady pretending to be the girl's actual boyfriend? Either way I don't understand how 1. Older lady kept it up or 2. Young girl committed suicide. This story is really really weird.
Evelyn Meiyi
Corvidae Trading and Holding
#40 - 2012-10-22 11:43:16 UTC
Caldari Citizen20090217 wrote:
Kehro Urgus wrote:
Caldari Citizen20090217 wrote:
Kehro Urgus wrote:

People who disagree with this person's termination are clinging to the right to free speech mantra but when someone posts "It's about time this b*tch died" on a memorial page, that isn't voicing an opinion. It is just looking to offend people. Sucks for him he pi$$ed off the wrong person.


The right to free speech is an absolute one. You either have it or you don't. You cannot have the right to free speech so long as noone is offended, because someone is always offended.

Disclaimer: I agree the guy posting the offensive comment was a douche. Costing him his income and/or giving him a criminal record is a bit excessive however.


His employer terminated him for violating the company's code of ethics. The same result would have occurred if his employer discovered his comment on their own. This does not impinge on his right to free speech as he and others remain free to say what they like however this right can be limited. In Canada, the guarantee of freedom of expression and other rights under the the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms are not absolute and can be limited under certain situations.

As far as I know he hasn't been charged with anything.


His employer terminated his income for expressing an opinion (however unsavoury). Therefore your statement "This does not impinge on his right to free speech" seems a little hard to justify.

Private companies enforcing their own codes of ethics on people with no accountability is not a good direction to go in.


He was an employee of said company. He was accountable to his employers for his conduct under their banner, and his 'right to free speech' ended when his company adivsed him beforehand that behavior such as he displayed was not permitted.

The company has shown plenty of accountability -- that's why they fired him. You can't spit gum on a teacher without going to the office, can you? At the very least, it would be common assault if the teacher pressed charges.
Previous page12