These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

How should we improve the inventory UI?

First post First post
Author
Panchatantra
Bunnie Slayers
#501 - 2012-10-10 14:13:53 UTC
The unified inventory sucks :(

The new filters are amazing !

Korhaka Mirunas
Doomheim
#502 - 2012-10-15 10:17:06 UTC
I seem to have a problem with the inventory, when I dock the tab on the left becomes very narrow if when I was in space i had another window combined with the inventory window, but those tabs disappear on docking, this seems to be a problem with the inventory being combined with other windows which disappear when you dock

Example 1: I undock with my inventory window open, then my drones menu will pop up in the same window, properly using a second tab, then when I turn around and dock up again, the drones window disappears (again, like it should) however the tab on the left side of the inventory window becomes very narrow

Example 2: I undock with inventory window, and I am also in a fleet so I set those windows to combine with each other, when i get into space the drones window also joins them, when I dock up again drones window disappears, fleet and inventory window stay however the inventory's tab on the left side becomes very narrow

Example 3: I undock with inventory window open, i have my drones in a separate window on there own and the inventory is on its own, i then dock up again, this time the inventory keeps its shape

I was using a Retriever and i need to combine lots of windows due to my 11 inch screen

We need T3 Shuttles!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiR5Q72kT1U

Shepard Book
Underground Stargate
#503 - 2012-10-15 14:04:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Shepard Book
Agent Missions UI

ISSUE: I go to several agents at a time to pick up missions before running them. I have to click on ( Show station info, Show system info) and then look at the route tab each time to see which is closer as I move along.

FIX: It would be great to see the number of jumps to agent home base and encounter (dead space) on the new initial UI section top left with it updating with each jump. I normally have to look at them all again after running a mission or turning one in to put in new destination.

Less clicks would be wonderful.
Luc Chastot
#504 - 2012-10-15 14:20:59 UTC
Shepard Book wrote:
Agent Missions UI

ISSUE: I go to several agents at a time to pick up missions before running them. I have to click on ( Show station info, Show system info) and then look at the route tab each time to see which is closer as I move along.

FIX: It would be great to see the number of jumps to agent home base and encounter (dead space) on the new initial UI section top left with it updating with each jump. I normally have to look at them all again after running a mission or turning one in to put in new destination.

I presume you didn't read the thread title.

Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Shepard Book
Underground Stargate
#505 - 2012-10-15 17:54:26 UTC
Luc Chastot wrote:
Shepard Book wrote:
Agent Missions UI

I presume you didn't read the thread title.

Thx for the heads up. I focused on the UI part not the inventory. Maybe the same team handles all UI, Maybe I am wrong. Anyways, please pass this on. Thanks
PAPULA
The Chodak
Void Alliance
#506 - 2012-10-16 09:43:35 UTC  |  Edited by: PAPULA
Quote:
How should we improve the inventory UI?

ISSUE: Explain your issue
FIX: How do you suggest we fix it?

ISSUE: New UI is very confusing, especially when you have 3 carriers (1 active carrier) and corp hangar in station.
FIX: Give us old UI Back and you have fixed all problems with UI.
Opertone
State War Academy
Caldari State
#507 - 2012-10-16 15:33:36 UTC
When I woke up in station... I've been in comatose state for over a year...

Where is my side panel items??? Everything looks similar but, items are gone. I finally manage to find it.

Omg, it used to be better! Open ship hangar, open item hangar. Open container. Now it is APPLE style mess of sub trees and side bar.

Moving stuff from one container to another is terrible, having ships and items in the same side bar - difficult, single inventory window - omg.

WINDOWS commander style is most commonly accepted dual screen way to transfer stuff.

and please do not bring terminal/command promt mode: EVE will insta die

SHIPs and ITEMS must not be together, single common window is a bad idea. Moving stuff from one place to another is horrible

no trees please, no drone bay sub branch, no Giant secure can tree. Everytime I drag and drop I miss it.

Sometimes I just want to split the windows and move them further apart, like wreck and cargo hold in space. Life was easier before, now it is hard to do it right.

This post sums up why the 'best' work with DCM inc.

WARP DRIVE makes eve boring

really - add warping align time 300% on gun aggression and eve becomes great again

Thomas Gilmour
Doomheim
#508 - 2012-10-16 16:12:31 UTC
3 things I'd like to see.
Select-able plastic wrap for grouping items together, with easy access to/from it (wrap all missiles, never worry about size or seeing them on the main window). Essentially an unlimited size container. Would have to NOT disappear with a select all -> repackage.

Make separate items for CHAs / SMAs with/without divisions. Some of us would rather not have divisions in our CHAs (if you're the player in a corp, for example) while some desparately want them in SMAs (wormhole corps).

Less clicks for manufacturing. If you right click on a blueprint should auto-fill with the first available slot wherever the blueprint is located, that sort of thing
VegasMirage
Blank-Space
Northern Coalition.
#509 - 2012-10-18 04:33:58 UTC  |  Edited by: VegasMirage
When searching through multiple containers within station, I'd like to see the search function keep the search string between containers for example "Warp Disruptor II", so that when I click on the side inventory and open a new container the search string remains and automatically searches for that term in the next container I click on.

Unfortunately, with 28 station containers I misplace things and having to type and retype the search term is annoying.

The new UI is awesome once you get used to it.

no more games... it's real this time!!!

Aron Fox
Tranquillian Imperial Navy
#510 - 2012-10-19 16:46:33 UTC

ISSUE: when you right click on the orca to access the corporate hangars it only opens one of the divisions

FIX: bring back the old system stop trying to fix things that never were broke. just make it the way it was before that the corp cargohold is instatnly devided with tabs.

REFLECTIONS: Since the UI changes came the hazzle with the orca have lead me to decline to haul for my firend becaus i dont wanna bother. The former UI were PERFECT!!! I never had a problem or a issue it it. It makes me really sad that my subscription money goes to these changes that do not improve my gaming experience.

ISSUE: When I open a container or wreck in space it do not remebr where I want that specific window which the former UI did

FIX: bring back the old system stop trying to fix things that never were broke. I dont know this is poor coding so just simply have it the it worked before you brought in this UI. I want Every container or EVERYTHIGN that I open to remeber its exact location that i placed the window and also remeber if it was stacked with other windows.

ISSUE: Corporate hangars button and Delivery Bay button is not exixsting

FIX: bring back the old system stop trying to fix things that never were broke. put them back ofcourse!

ISSUE: When I press loot all the container window does not dissapear and replicates the ship cargohold

FIX: Guess...? bring back the old system stop trying to fix things that never were broke. I dont know, poor coding again i guess? just bring back the way it was before it got screwed up.

ISSUE: Sometimes some windows just simply dissapear, I havent figures out when, or why i am just playing and all of a sudden when im looking at my cargohold window its just not there anymore.

FIX: well i think this is just a bug so bugs happen in any update but if you woulnt have updated a PERFECT system then you woulnt have this bug.

what was the intension with this new UI? what did it add that you could not do before that really have improved the game experience? When I talk to my friend, the ones who were possetive about the new UI could only come up with example that the new UI had that did allready exist before, they just didnt know about the features.

And yes, I am very sarcastic but that is because I feel my money have been wasted on fixing things that didnt need to be fixed instead of working on actual bugs in other systems. My sarcasm is not constructive but just say it because I take plesure in it, but I have mede sure to provide solutions to our problems so its is contructive criticism but with some sarcasm to spice it up
Furian Warrior
GASFREAKS
#511 - 2012-10-21 14:54:57 UTC
Make option to move divisions from tree to the top of window (old school).
Please...

Makes me mad each time to switch divisions i need to leave open or re-open window tree...

Sorry for my bad english
Cerebus5
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#512 - 2012-10-24 21:37:56 UTC
The Unified Inventory should not automatically open when I undock from station, especially when I am in a pod, since pods don't have any cargo at all. I like having my inventory open when I am docked, but closed when I am in space, and it is a hassle to close it every time I undock, or closing it right before I undock.

Wrecks should have the name of the ships that was destroyed in the Inventory, as seeing 8 "'Wrecks" stacked on top of each other is confusing, and wrecks that have been fully looted should just disappear from that list entirely, since it is impossible to store anything in them.

Issue: I can't differentiate the wrecks on my inventory
Fix: Add names to whose ship was blown up, or maybe add the ships name so we won't see just 'wrecks' in our overview, and will be able to see which ones are more important.

Issue: Accessing ships & items in station, and then undocking
Fix: Prevent the Inventory from automatically staying open when I undock, when I am docked, I like being able to see all my ships, items, and other miscellaneous items in my hanger, but when I undock, there isn't a need for it to be open at all.
Darth Skorpius
352 Industries
#513 - 2012-10-27 09:27:17 UTC
ISSUE: I have to use containers to sort my stuff into groups in stations

FIX: Add Hanger Divisions to personal hangers, just like Corp hangers have. With a sensible limit or between 5 and 10. The ability to set up different divisions at different stations would also be nice, though probably a lot more complex to do. For example, I could have 3 divisions in one station, each with its own purpose, but those 3 divisions would only exist in that station. But as i said, that's probably going to be a lot harder to do.

Actually, while you are doing that, can we get the ability to have Wallet divisions in our personal Wallets too? I'm sure there are plenty of people that would love to sort their ISK into different categories for different purposes. Although I'm not sure if this would be considered a UI issue.
RavenTesio
Liandri Corporation
#514 - 2012-10-27 19:14:29 UTC
On the whole I like the new inventory system, I'm sure with the "revert to old mode" button on Duality right now most ppl will stop complaining about a system that imo actually makes life considerably easier than having 20-30 windows open at a POS or such.

Something I would suggest though is Tabs.
No doubt people will scream in horror at this suggestion, but it would be nice for example when I click on a Hanger without clicking on the 'expand' arrow then it displays on the right-hand with all the tabs at the top of the sub-folders.

You could then have it so containers are a secondry tab layer below that.

Another thing I would like to see would be split windows, so that when you're moving items about rather than flicking to the destination (which is actually a little annoying) instead it creates a vertical / horizontal split showing both folders.

Last think I will suggest here and this is focused specifically towards accessing wrecks and cargo containers in space, is that via the overview when you click to open the wreck/container/etc... instead of opening up a new window, it actually has a small modual window that displays next to the overview window with all of the items that has a "take all" option, but also has a sidebar that simply moves it to your cargo hold when you drag it.

I mean one of the major issues with the Inventory system is the screen real-est it takes up, having a more "minimal" version particularly if you're doing Deadspace / Complexes in Low or Null-Sec so you can keep you're scanner going without worrying that the second the container / wreck opens you're gonna have a massive inventory suddenly appear obscuring everything or being too small to effective use.

This said kinda feel the scanner could do with a bit of a facelift itself, feel more integrated into the UI rather than a simple window that is always in the way.
Rytell Tybat
Doomheim
#515 - 2012-10-30 11:32:30 UTC
For the love of all that is holy, just add a "Stack All" button!

For that matter why aren't there other buttons? "Repackage" maybe?

Why force the user to right click? WHY?
Alx Warlord
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#516 - 2012-11-10 16:49:26 UTC
Revamp POS system
Rynnik
Evasion Gaming
The Ancients.
#517 - 2012-11-10 17:00:40 UTC
Just another poke to hopefully pass the message that a 'slim cargo' version while in space would be VERY welcome from a PvP perspective. I like to have easy reference to drugs, cap boosters, and ammo ammounts while pewing and the current window and frames make that very inconvenient.
Vartan Sarkisian
Lucifer's Hammer
A Band Apart.
#518 - 2012-11-12 13:29:37 UTC
A lot of the issues that I read about here are issues that I have experienced in the year or more i have been playing the game and yet nothing has been implemented (bar the filters) for the inventory. Are there likely to be any useful changes made to the Inventory in terms of searching for items within ships and containers?

All these suggestions are great but only if you are actually going to implement something.
androch
LitlCorp
#519 - 2012-11-14 09:20:32 UTC
ISSUE: everything being in 1 window makes certain tasks a pain in the ass (jetcanning, adding drones to drone bay,switchign between ore and cargoholds, pressing your cargo button brings up the entire inventory screen being un-needed

FIX: add an option to go back to the way things were... or at least have an option to permanantly seperate certain tabs from the inventory system to open on their own when you select them because having to shift click things every time yoyu dock up/ change systems/ log i or out is rather inconvenient not to mention annoying
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#520 - 2012-11-14 10:04:07 UTC
Make it so that when you open wrecks you ALWAYS see the damn wreck.

If i try to loot my own cargo hold one more time i might just go ape..

BYDI recruitment closed-ish