These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Fiction

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Capsuleer romantic relationships, marriage and dating

First post
Author
Gussarde en Welle
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-10-15 18:09:17 UTC
So we all know that the average capsuleer is a narcissistic psychopath that barely identifies with mortal humans. But there's nothing in that assumption that keeps them from being affected by the hormones and desires of their bodies. Would Capsuleers have families? Would they date?

Imagine that you can have 3, 4, 5 different jumpclone bodies in entirely different regions of the galaxy. Would the average capsuleer find themselves dating/having sex with 3, 4, 5.....10, 20, 50 different people at any given time, or are they too inhuman to be bothered with such ideas?Ugh

Maybe Capsuleers only date other capsuleers....Question
Seriphyn Inhonores
Elusenian Cooperative
#2 - 2012-10-15 18:13:27 UTC
I think this is one of those things that is completely up to the player ;)
Gussarde en Welle
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2012-10-15 18:17:29 UTC
Well, the point is to think about what the typical psychology of such a person might be within the scope of the described game universe and body lore. Of course players can pretend to be anything they want. You could pretend in-game to be a bisexual hermaphrodite telepathic anthropomorphic unicorn that sneezes taco meat, but I'm talking about what would be realistic to assume within the lore of the universe.
Seriphyn Inhonores
Elusenian Cooperative
#4 - 2012-10-15 19:04:02 UTC
Realistic to assume anything within reason (such as not turning into unicorns). This is territory for individual players to dictate, and which many do if you are familiar with the RP community. During the live events in 2010, CCP canonized my character's fiancee and infant son by turning them into a Sansha amalagation called 'Slave Heavenbound02' (the names of the characters I had in my character's backstory was Rhea and Jaidon Heavenbound). They're both a Dev PC and an Incursion NPC now.

What I mean is, from that, CCP obviously don't think anything 'wrong' with a capsuleer having a traditional relationship/marriage (whatever is traditional in New Eden anyway). I don't think the lore would dictate our characters' behaviours in the area of relationships and romance. Which is what I mean; it's up to the player. I don't see why CCP would say to RPers "it is against the game universe to have a relationship".

Hope that helps.
De'Veldrin
Adversity.
Psychotic Tendencies.
#5 - 2012-10-16 13:15:48 UTC
I would say that they would probably still have normal relationships, or at least be capable of them, given that there haven't been capsuleers long enough for their society to deviate substantially in custom and tradition from the standard human (whatever that is). But that's just my opinion.

De'Veldrin's Corollary (to Malcanis' Law): Any idea that seeks to limit the ability of a large nullsec bloc to do something in the name of allowing more small groups into sov null will inevitably make it that much harder for small groups to enter sov null.

Telegram Sam
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2012-10-16 14:54:40 UTC
Check out this thread, in which CCP Abraxas weighs in on capsuleer sexuality and procreation: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=925223#post925223 It doesn't answer your question directly, but it gives some relevant info.
Lady Ayeipsia
BlueWaffe
#7 - 2012-10-16 19:49:52 UTC
In the novel Templar One, capsulers do have families, romantic relationships, and interact with other humans with ease. There are capsulers married to normal people such as one of the ishakone(sp?) Officers. Additionally, in the prequil novel, two capsulers engage in zero gee sex. There are also implications that there are capsuler groupies.

Basically, capsulers are similar to celebrities in our world. Some may be crazy party animals, others have perfectly normal lives.
AlleyKat
The Unwanted.
#8 - 2012-10-17 11:58:35 UTC
If it helps your story/character and makes it better, yes; if you put it in there (or don't) because of how you perceive other people will view your story/character, no.

It has to make sense to the story and to the character, and that goes for every single action/inaction and plot construction/deconstruction.

Deconstruction of plot or character happens post construction, if you are telling a linear story; not if your story is non-linear.

It would be very hard to get on board with a character who didn't copulate; but the extent of their copulation would be up to you :)

Perhaps just having one line of prose would do it, implying they do get it on, so then we can move forward and get back to the story - unless the story is about their copulatory antics; or perhaps their perception of other people's and how it relates to them.

You got unlimited options...

This space for rent.

CCP Falcon
#9 - 2012-10-18 14:57:58 UTC
I wouldn't think it was out of the ordinary at all for Capsuleers to be involved in relationships and other such shenaigans.

We all need a little love sometimes Big smile

CCP Falcon || EVE Universe Community Manager || @CCP_Falcon

Happy Birthday To FAWLTY7! <3

CCP Headfirst
C C P
C C P Alliance
#10 - 2012-10-18 15:52:12 UTC
Also, podsex ftw.
CCP Eterne
C C P
C C P Alliance
#11 - 2012-10-18 15:57:08 UTC
CCP Headfirst wrote:
Also, podsex ftw.


Reminds me of a story I read once a long while ago.

EVE Online/DUST 514 Community Representative ※ EVE Illuminati ※ Fiction Adept

@CCP_Eterne ※ @EVE_LiveEvents

CCP Falcon
#12 - 2012-10-18 15:57:48 UTC
CCP Headfirst wrote:
Also, podsex ftw.


Indeed :3

CCP Falcon || EVE Universe Community Manager || @CCP_Falcon

Happy Birthday To FAWLTY7! <3

Kinroi Alari
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2012-10-18 16:00:13 UTC

The Clone Song
Clone, clone of my own,
With its Y chromosome changed to X.
And when I'm alone
With my own little clone
We will both think of nothing but sex.
~Isaac Asimov
Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#14 - 2012-10-18 16:38:28 UTC
should be moved to "out of pod experience"

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Gussarde en Welle
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2012-10-18 18:44:48 UTC
I find it amusing that this thread has attracted so many CCP operators. Lol
Kinroi Alari
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2012-10-18 18:57:03 UTC
Gussarde en Welle wrote:
I find it amusing that this thread has attracted so many CCP operators. Lol


I'd be worried if our devs DIDN'T like sex and romance --
I'd wonder a lot more about those long Icelandic winters!

Lugia3
Lazerhawks
L A Z E R H A W K S
#17 - 2012-10-18 19:50:15 UTC
Lady Ayeipsia wrote:
In the novel Templar One, capsulers do have families, romantic relationships, and interact with other humans with ease. There are capsulers married to normal people such as one of the ishakone(sp?) Officers. Additionally, in the prequil novel, two capsulers engage in zero gee sex. There are also implications that there are capsuler groupies.

Basically, capsulers are similar to celebrities in our world. Some may be crazy party animals, others have perfectly normal lives.


Link to the prequil novel?

"CCP Dolan is full of shit." - CCP Bettik

Saede Riordan
Alexylva Paradox
#18 - 2012-10-19 02:35:07 UTC
Gussarde en Welle wrote:
Well, the point is to think about what the typical psychology of such a person might be within the scope of the described game universe and body lore. Of course players can pretend to be anything they want. You could pretend in-game to be a bisexual hermaphrodite telepathic anthropomorphic unicorn that sneezes taco meat, but I'm talking about what would be realistic to assume within the lore of the universe.


That would be realistic to assume.

There are Gallentean genemodders in one of the novels with transparent skin and organs.

>_>

Eve is weird.
Gussarde en Welle
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2012-10-19 04:41:24 UTC
Saede Riordan wrote:
Gussarde en Welle wrote:
Well, the point is to think about what the typical psychology of such a person might be within the scope of the described game universe and body lore. Of course players can pretend to be anything they want. You could pretend in-game to be a bisexual hermaphrodite telepathic anthropomorphic unicorn that sneezes taco meat, but I'm talking about what would be realistic to assume within the lore of the universe.


That would be realistic to assume.

There are Gallentean genemodders in one of the novels with transparent skin and organs.

>_>

Eve is weird.


o__0

That's just out of control.