These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Nerf Moaning Null Bears PLS

Author
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#21 - 2012-10-18 10:44:50 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
We arn't asking to nerf highsec, just buff the risk.

The problem is that hisec bears hide behind mechanics meant to protect actual newbies and demand that CCP give them high-reward PvE activities commensurate with their skillpoint level - if they were going to make hisec risky to live in based on the present reward levels, then they'd have to do away with CONCORD and even faction navies in their entirety.

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#22 - 2012-10-18 10:45:14 UTC
TharOkha wrote:
Andski wrote:

But it doesn't involve buffing null/low income - it involves nerfing hisec income because uninterrupted ISK printing is bad for the game.

No, no nerfing to income. You have to realize that many PvPers earning in hisec and spending in low/null sec.

That's exactly the problem. PvPers who operate in 0.0 can't make as good a living in 0.0 as they can in hi-sec, because 0.0 is so gimped for everything except shooting red crosses.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

TharOkha
0asis Group
#23 - 2012-10-18 10:45:50 UTC  |  Edited by: TharOkha
Andski wrote:
TharOkha wrote:
No, no nerfing to income. You have to realize that many PvPers earning in hisec and spending in low/null sec.

But i agree that the method of rewarding should be changed. No Bounty for NPCs, no loot. Just LP income and thats it. This should be also implemented for low/null npc exept that those NPCs should drop loot.

So why do you want another nail in the coffin of PvE outside of hisec?

I just wrote that... low/null would be the only NPCs that drop loot. Named modules etc. T1 modules can be manufactured by players, named modules only from low/null loot.... so no "nail in the coffin" for low/null PvE.
Jim Hazard
Fury Industry
#24 - 2012-10-18 10:47:41 UTC
F'elch wrote:
If I tried to make all my ISK in low sec it would take a VERY long time to get the same money I would in high sec as you are constantly trying to avoid other players.

And there you come up with the best argument yourself, why high sec needs to be nerfed.

Also..... if you really want to make money outside of high sec and do not have that much time you could always try to create or join a smaller corp with the plan to live in low sec.... but wait... no1 is doing that anymore because its not worth the effort. Why join a corp and trying to secure an area to make decent ISK when you can as well just do it solo under the protection of high sec.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#25 - 2012-10-18 10:48:30 UTC
Andski wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
We arn't asking to nerf highsec, just buff the risk.

The problem is that hisec bears hide behind mechanics meant to protect actual newbies and demand that CCP give them high-reward PvE activities commensurate with their skillpoint level - if they were going to make hisec risky to live in based on the present reward levels, then they'd have to do away with CONCORD and even faction navies in their entirety.

Nah I can think of a few ways to inject a bit of meaningfull risk into high sec activities.

Cede Forster
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#26 - 2012-10-18 10:52:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Cede Forster
highsec is essential "newbie island" gone wrong

newbie island is a place where people can learn how things work, reduced risk, reward is only the experience you and some currency to prepare you for the rest

if you make newbie island to attractive, people will stay there, slay the "dumb enemy who cant defend himself" again and again because there is no point to leaving it. fighting bigger enemies at more risk with same reward just seems .. wrong and there you are, it is.

the state of high sec is the reason for people staying there, because the rewards are almost the same and the risk next to non-existent.

just outsource the newbie island to some special wormholes where they learn **** and then push them into the cold water.

remove concord entirely and buff faction police a bit.
instead concord puts bounties on people who break the " highsec law", making it a player profession to hunt "criminals down"
Rollin Forties
School of Applied Street Knowledge
#27 - 2012-10-18 10:57:42 UTC
I wanted to report the OPs name as offensive, but I don't have the game installed. Can I create a petition on the forums?
F'elch
Wall Street Trading
#28 - 2012-10-18 10:58:53 UTC
Jim Hazard wrote:
F'elch wrote:
If I tried to make all my ISK in low sec it would take a VERY long time to get the same money I would in high sec as you are constantly trying to avoid other players.

And there you come up with the best argument yourself, why high sec needs to be nerfed.

Also..... if you really want to make money outside of high sec and do not have that much time you could always try to create or join a smaller corp with the plan to live in low sec.... but wait... no1 is doing that anymore because its not worth the effort. Why join a corp and trying to secure an area to make decent ISK when you can as well just do it solo under the protection of high sec.

If I could dive into low sec, do an hour of exploration, while dodging other players and come out of it with a wedge of ISK significantly higher than I can earn in high then I would do it. If you made enough that getting caught and killed or otherwise prevented from completing 1 or 2 times out of 3 was worth it then people would do it. But you're pretty much guaranteed to get ganked if you try to do anything in low in a PVE ship.

PVE/PVP fits being mutually exlusive apart from a few rare exceptions is another thread entirely.

Anyway, I mostly fly solo (hence the constant need for new ships) which is why what I do works for me. Yeah, yeah, I know, Its a multiplayer game. It's also a sandbox, so you can play how you like. To me multiplayer means you share the world with other real people. Doesn't mean you have to team up with them.
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#29 - 2012-10-18 11:00:06 UTC
TharOkha wrote:
I just wrote that... low/null would be the only NPCs that drop loot. Named modules etc. T1 modules can be manufactured by players, named modules only from low/null loot.... so no "nail in the coffin" for low/null PvE.

Uh, yeah it is, because you're adding the requirement of a Noctis alt to the equation, and the meta modules would be worthless within a week anyway.

Remember how CCP tried this one time with a failed project called "the drone regions" and how that resulted in titans' mineral costs being around 30-40bn?

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

F'elch
Wall Street Trading
#30 - 2012-10-18 11:00:50 UTC
Rollin Forties wrote:
I wanted to report the OPs name as offensive, but I don't have the game installed. Can I create a petition on the forums?

Uh... it's a name. If this is an attempt to annoy me, it won't work. This is my trading alt. Makes no matter to me if he's called F'elch or Gallente Citizen 1209173465680.
Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#31 - 2012-10-18 11:02:07 UTC
0.9-1.0 - CONCORD protection, only level 1 agents.
0.7-0.8 - Less response from CONCORD, faction navies. Level 2 agents.
0.5-0.6 - No CONCORD, guns on gates, less response from faction navies. Level 3 agents.
0.3-0.4 - Gate guns, limited resources for faction navies. Level 4 agents.

This is probably way too harsh on mission runners, but you get the general idea.
F'elch
Wall Street Trading
#32 - 2012-10-18 11:05:48 UTC
Riot Girl wrote:
0.9-1.0 - CONCORD protection, only level 1 agents.
0.7-0.8 - Less response from CONCORD, faction navies. Level 2 agents.
0.5-0.6 - No CONCORD, guns on gates, less response from faction navies. Level 3 agents.
0.3-0.4 - Gate guns, limited resources for faction navies. Level 4 agents.

This is probably way too harsh on mission runners, but you get the general idea.

You'd end up with a lot of people with no ISK and no ships. Then you'd end up with a lot less people playing the game.
Riot Girl
#33 - 2012-10-18 11:11:50 UTC
Or you'd end up with people communicating with eachother to organise themselves into gank-proof mission fleets. Perhaps you're right though. Communication and co-operation is outside the realm of many people's comfort zones and we know how people hate being forced out of their comfort zone.
Darth Khasei
Wavestar Business Ventures Inc.
#34 - 2012-10-18 11:20:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Darth Khasei
Respect. Cool

Both sides have interesting perspectives that are valid but just don't seem to respect the other side let alone take into serious account what CCP has to do to attract enough players of all types to kept the game profitable and developed.

It is a pity that forum discussions are so polarized and myopic when dealing with such a complicated wide ranging balance issue.

CCP is doing about as good a job as can be done dealing with it while keeping a good amount of the vet core and attracting new players.

I think players spend way too much time and energy hating on each others playstyle not recognizing how important the diversity is to the overall game and lobbying for "their vision" of what EVE should be vs spending time adapting to what EVE is.

This is not to say when they mess up really badly like INCARNA that people should not speak up, they should. But this they made this or that change for this or that group now attack that group thing is pretty useless.

I will admit that it has become a daily source of comical relief. Lol

Carry on.
F'elch
Wall Street Trading
#35 - 2012-10-18 11:21:07 UTC
Riot Girl wrote:
Or you'd end up with people communicating with eachother to organise themselves into gank-proof mission fleets. Perhaps you're right though. Communication and co-operation is outside the realm of many people's comfort zones and we know how people hate being forced out of their comfort zone.

I can understand this sentiment.

I can't be arsed to team up with others. I can't be arsed to talk to the other players while in-game (with very few exceptions). I also don't take this game seriously enough to invest any real time and effort into it.

For example, I have nearly 1 million FW LP. I have no idea what the best things to trade them in for are and I have no intention of doing any research to find out. I hope that pure luck will provide me with enough isk to buy ships for a while. I could DEFINITELY make more ISK than I will with those LP but I'd rather do something else with my time than work out how.

But sorry, to more properly address your point, ganging up to go roaming for a bit of PVP is exciting and fun and it's relatively easy to get people involved. Teaming up to go and do a bit of PVE? lol. That's a boring solo activity and you do it while no-one else is on.
Riot Girl
#36 - 2012-10-18 11:23:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Riot Girl
So run level 3s instead. You can pay for a T1 cruiser for PvP roaming easily enough with level 3s.

F'elch wrote:
Teaming up to go and do a bit of PVE? lol. That's a boring solo activity and you do it while no-one else is on.

It's not boring if there is risk. You ask people to help, knowing there is a high chance of being ganked. You end up with mission running corps and alliances with local intel channels, PvPers guarding against gankers, gankers looking for ganks. All in all you will make friends and always have people chatting on comms or various channels and you will even get to see some action, bringing PvP back into high-sec.

It sounds quite fun to me.
Ptraci
3 R Corporation
#37 - 2012-10-18 11:26:00 UTC
F'elch wrote:
Why all the hate for high sec? You know how I use high sec? I run missions there and I sell my stuff there so I can spend the ISK on ships and then go PVP with them

Funny, F'elch has no kills on eve-kill or battleclinic. Well not true. You have one kill.

You remember the bit about posting with your main, right? Otherwise you have absolutely zero idea of what you are talking about kid.
Spurty
#38 - 2012-10-18 11:28:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Commander Spurty
Remove concord and faction police in high sec?!?!

Sure, but first 6 months of the removal to deny docking ships at any outpost / station in null

Lets so who leaves first

There are good ships,

And wood ships,

And ships that sail the sea

But the best ships are Spaceships

Built by CCP

Jim Hazard
Fury Industry
#39 - 2012-10-18 11:36:44 UTC
Riot Girl wrote:

Most likely people who do not want to live high sec are exactly the people like F`elch who play a multiplayer game solo. Those people seem not to value the difference between a multiplayer game and a single player game. Why play a game like eve when you do not interact with other people. If you just live in this universe and do not care about other players around you and do not want to socialize with them its no different from being surrounded only by NPCs. And no matter how many arguments you will come up with, they will never admit that their view on EvE (a multi player game) is plain wrong.
TheSkeptic
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#40 - 2012-10-18 11:49:16 UTC
Just putting this out there, but maybe the real problem isn't so much the hi-sec dwellers, but how many blues you have and how risk averse you are yourself?

As an example: http://evemaps.dotlan.net/map/Branch/UQ9-3C#npc24

With the exceptions of 1IX, W-4 and C-4 (station systems) not much ratting/isk making is going on outside of the dead end systems that are easy to lock down with bubbled entry points.

And it's not all about true sec either, take BKG for example, station system -0.67 (29 NPC kills - at post time) and compare that with C-4, also a station system -0.65 (3345 NPC kills - at post time) The difference is 4 entry points to BKG vs 2 for C-4 (4, but ignore the secured pocket and single dead end)

So what you really want is your nullsec isk printing safe havens, and then easy access to a target rich environment of noobs to shoot when you feel like PVP.

tl:dr;
hi-sec dwellers aren't the problem, the size of your blue list is