These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Pls CCP - NOT on DRIVE C:

Author
Klandi
Consortium of stella Technologies
#1 - 2011-10-18 12:47:34 UTC
My configuration I use for all Windoz machines is a boot disk HD (SSD) and a data disk (platter). I try to keep the SSD as clutter free as possible (as Windoz will screw it up by itself) so I am trying to keep all extraneous stuff off it. It is small (60GB) and is only used for the OS and display

Then you lot go and use it to store and unpack the patch files.

In future, could you put some code into the installer that allows us to specify where this is saved/unpacked to.
That would be a great help thanks

I am aware of my own ignorance and have checked my emotional quotient - thanks for asking

Htrag
The Carebear Stare
Hydroponic Zone
#2 - 2011-10-18 12:54:01 UTC
Thats a little nitpicky dont you think? I mean your computer still works, right? Blink

Whatever "dev" it was that removed the pod squish sound probably never even logged into the game.

Naran Eto
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#3 - 2011-10-18 12:57:24 UTC
Does it not store and unpack the patches on the drive you are running the game from? I thought it did, although i'll be honest and say i've never checked, if so just move your game directory to the Data drive.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#4 - 2011-10-18 12:59:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Htrag wrote:
Thats a little nitpicky dont you think?
Not really, no. They should respect the OS environment settings for temporary storage and the like, and not try to guess where it might be allowed to do stuff (because that just means it breaks if it turns out the guess is wrong). It's just plain old sensible good practice.

Still to this day, a good way to catch incompetent programming is to write-protect you C: root and see how many programs explode when they're not allowed to do whatever they want.
Klandi
#5 - 2011-10-18 13:16:19 UTC
Htrag wrote:
Thats a little nitpicky dont you think? I mean your computer still works, right? Blink

That's like saying "You want rubber on your car type rims??? Thats a bit silly isn't it - your car will still drive"

For years I have suffered the gradual reduction on "bootup speed" on my gaming rigs - knowing it was the HD that was causing it . I vowed not to suffer with it so from that day on - I have had a dual boot system and boot-up speeds consistently ~ 7sec to 10sec.
Also - if I get a boot sector virus I can't do anything about, I just change my bootdisk and deal with it off-line

My advice to you is - (points to head).. UP there for thinking .. (points to ****) down there for other stuff

I am aware of my own ignorance and have checked my emotional quotient - thanks for asking

Htrag
The Carebear Stare
Hydroponic Zone
#6 - 2011-10-18 13:19:24 UTC
It was a joke there geniuses. You must be too noobish to remember boot.ini

Whatever "dev" it was that removed the pod squish sound probably never even logged into the game.

KaarBaak
Squirrel Team
#7 - 2011-10-18 14:05:09 UTC

Perhaps the problem is that you purchased some cheap knockoff warez called "Windoz.". Next time bite the bullet and pay full price.

Dum Spiro Spero

Barakkus
#8 - 2011-10-18 14:08:07 UTC
KaarBaak wrote:

Perhaps the problem is that you purchased some cheap knockoff warez called "Windoz.". Next time bite the bullet and pay full price.

Or get 50 copies of windows 7 for $250 by getting a technet subscription Cool

http://youtu.be/yytbDZrw1jc

Blue Harrier
#9 - 2011-10-18 14:15:14 UTC
There is a new downloader and installer coming Soon ™ that will download the main client as 2 files (to preserve the 4 Gig limit on files for older OS’s), and a new patcher.

It has been requested and granted, the new patcher will either download and install patches into and from the same folder it resides in or may at some future time have a selectable download location.

"You wait - time passes, Thorin sits down and starts singing about gold." from The Hobbit on ZX Spectrum 1982.

Klandi
#10 - 2011-10-18 14:23:57 UTC
Blue Harrier wrote:
There is a new downloader and installer coming Soon ™ that will download the main client as 2 files (to preserve the 4 Gig limit on files for older OS’s), and a new patcher.

It has been requested and granted, the new patcher will either download and install patches into and from the same folder it resides in or may at some future time have a selectable download location.

I remember reading about that - I hope that one functionality change is to specify source/destination drives for storage/unpack.

Htrag - wasn't affected by boot.ini, but that was another reason. Didn't get the joke but thanks for the likes

KaarBaak ... What are you on? warez... windoz as a product - u mad? I run Windows 7 Ultimate, but the reference to Windoz was made back in the dark past when Windows really did screw up your system and u had to wait forever while it did it.

KaarBaak
Squirrel Team
#11 - 2011-10-18 14:35:03 UTC
Klandi wrote:
KaarBaak ... What are you on? warez... windoz as a product - u mad? I run Windows 7 Ultimate, but the reference to Windoz was made back in the dark past when Windows really did screw up your system and u had to wait forever while it did it.

Klandi...what are you on? A troll is someone who makes fun of people who use trendy words (like "Windoz" and "u") from the last decade to make themselves look cool and smart.

Spend less time texting your boyfriend and more time paying attention in English class and you'll understand big words like "sarcasm" and pronouns like "you."

Dum Spiro Spero

Velicitia
XS Tech
#12 - 2011-10-18 14:45:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Velicitia
Htrag wrote:
It was a joke there geniuses. You must be too noobish to remember boot.ini

that was a good one.

IIRC, CCP unpacks stuff to where you have the system's %TEMP% (or whatever the naming convention is..) set to. if you left that on C:\, it's your own fault.

normally (win XP) it's %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp (aka, C:\Documents and Settings\you\Local Settings\Temp)

If you changed it, and CCP is still offloading to C:\somewhere ... then bad CCP.

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Sphit Ker
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#13 - 2011-10-18 14:48:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Sphit Ker
Klandi wrote:
My configuration I use for all Windoz machines is a boot disk HD (SSD) and a data disk (platter). I try to keep the SSD as clutter free as possible (as Windoz will screw it up by itself) so I am trying to keep all extraneous stuff off it. It is small (60GB) and is only used for the OS and display

Then you lot go and use it to store and unpack the patch files.

In future, could you put some code into the installer that allows us to specify where this is saved/unpacked to.
That would be a great help thanks

CCP should give us that button. Meanwhile you can force the patcher/installer/::CCP Stuff:: to use your other drive by changing the environment variables of Windows.

My computer -> Properties -> Advanced tab -> Environment Variables button.

Change the User variables from
Quote:
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp
to a hard path (?) pointing to the drive ~stuff~ needs to go. I.E.

Quote:
D:\folder

Don't even need to reboot. The installer/patcher will "fetch" the variables at launch. Patch EVE then return variables to normal. Or leave it like that. Whatever you like! Cool

EDIT: beaten to it by Velicitia. and BTW I've changed these variables like I described every time EVE needed a patch. It OK.

It knows what you think.

Lyta Jhonson
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#14 - 2011-10-18 15:41:38 UTC
1) Download full patch manually.
2) It is a self-extracting archive so you should be able to use any zip-archiver (I use 7-zip) to extract its contents to desirable location.
3) As a result you'll get 7z patch file and patcher executable. Run it to apply the patch.
Kumq uat
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2011-10-18 16:27:02 UTC
I agree with the op even though he is a ****** who cannot spell. Give us the option of where we want the patch to unpack please. It would make my world much better. My SSD only has so much room. That is why I have a 2TB storage drive FFS.
supersexysucker
Uber Awesome Fantastico Awesomeness Group
#16 - 2011-10-18 17:07:56 UTC
So you want CCP to give you an option no other program does?

Right... maybe care less about boot times or use this thing called

STANDBY rofl.
Jokerface666
Intergalactic Expeditionary Corp
#17 - 2011-10-18 17:17:24 UTC
Htrag wrote:

problem is that SSD drives are still usntable and "blow" up sometimes if "overused",

i got the same problem, i'd love to see this too.
Renan Ruivo
Forcas armadas
Brave Collective
#18 - 2011-10-18 17:56:48 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Htrag wrote:
Not really, no. They should respect the OS environment settings for temporary storage and the like, and not try to guess where it might be allowed to do stuff (because that just means it breaks if it turns out the guess is wrong). It's just plain old sensible good practice.

Still to this day, a good way to catch incompetent programming is to write-protect you C: root and see how many programs explode when they're not allowed to do whatever they want.

That is not a decision that is made by most patchers, but its a Windows definition. Most patchers come configured to use the "temp" folder to buffer its data. It comes to your computer and asks your OS "Hey, where can i put my stuff?" and the OS says "Over here" and "over here" is generally a location on the C: drive.

I haven't bothered to check if this affects the EVE patcher or not but you can change your default temp folders on windows machines from "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp" to "D:\temp" or something like that. Mind you, that default i used is for Windows Vista and 7.

The world is a community of idiots doing a series of things until it explodes and we all die.

Renan Ruivo
Forcas armadas
Brave Collective
#19 - 2011-10-18 17:57:16 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Htrag wrote:

That is not a decision that is made by most patchers, but its a Windows definition. Most patchers come configured to use the "temp" folder to buffer its data. It comes to your computer and asks your OS "Hey, where can i put my stuff?" and the OS says "Over here" and "over here" is generally a location on the C: drive.

I haven't bothered to check if this affects the EVE patcher or not but you can change your default temp folders on windows machines from "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp" to "D:\temp" or something like that. Mind you, that default i used is for Windows Vista and 7.

The world is a community of idiots doing a series of things until it explodes and we all die.

Renan Ruivo
Forcas armadas
Brave Collective
#20 - 2011-10-18 17:58:32 UTC
See that double post, CCP? When are you going to acknowlodge your forums are messed up? I had to ctrl-c and ctrl-v it and post it again because you were ganked. For the 65536th time today. Only to find out it was posted anyway.

And yes, this is now a triple post.

12Next page