These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev blog: Chat changes

First post First post
Author
CCP karkur
C C P
C C P Alliance
#101 - 2012-10-16 20:37:05 UTC
arria Auscent wrote:
so dust players will be in local?
hope they are highlighted as local is intel toolt

Yes, the Dust guys will be highlighted in local (as you can see from the screenshots and text), and you can filter them out in the member list if you want.

CCP karkur | Programmer | Team Five 0 | @CCP_karkur

CCP karkur
C C P
C C P Alliance
#102 - 2012-10-16 20:38:09 UTC
Freezehunter wrote:
Since we have this cool new highlighting system in place, is it possible to highlight messages in the various chats by their standings?

Grey for neutrals, Orange and Red for enemies, Blue, Green and Purple for fleet mates and another color for ourselves.

Would be cool to know on the spot if the guy I am calling a ****** in Jita Local was not in fact a blue. XD

Also, I see that we have new counters that show how many capsuleers and how many bunnies there are, is it possible to get a "red/wartarget" in system alert counter for local chat member list?

I actually want to add the little standings icon to the chat messages... I just need to get someone to agree with me and find time to do it P

CCP karkur
C C P
C C P Alliance
#103 - 2012-10-16 20:41:43 UTC
Harlequin D'Earth wrote:
Quote:
Since we were fiddling with message colors anyway we decided we might as well add something that you, our EVE peeps, have asked for: enabling you to highlight your own messages, which you do by toggling "Highlight My Messages" on.
Seem a bit of a waste of highlighting tbh... I already know what I wrote and if I need to get back to it for a re-send ctrl+arrow works fine.

Much more useful would be highlighting chat when someone speaks to me, as laid out in this ideas thread: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=97035

It would be cool to do some sort of highlighting if your name appears, but that was just out of scope for what we were doing with these chat changes.

I like the message highlighting to see what has been going on in the channel since I last spoke (I always do that in the help channel, look for my nice blue text and read from there).

Jen Takhesis
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#104 - 2012-10-16 21:04:40 UTC
I believe that you forgot an important chat tool.

Right-click: Initiate planetary bombardment on this chat participant's location
Aron Fox
Tranquillian Imperial Navy
#105 - 2012-10-16 22:30:52 UTC
CCP karkur wrote:
Harlequin D'Earth wrote:
Quote:
Since we were fiddling with message colors anyway we decided we might as well add something that you, our EVE peeps, have asked for: enabling you to highlight your own messages, which you do by toggling "Highlight My Messages" on.
Seem a bit of a waste of highlighting tbh... I already know what I wrote and if I need to get back to it for a re-send ctrl+arrow works fine.

Much more useful would be highlighting chat when someone speaks to me, as laid out in this ideas thread: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=97035

It would be cool to do some sort of highlighting if your name appears, but that was just out of scope for what we were doing with these chat changes.

I like the message highlighting to see what has been going on in the channel since I last spoke (I always do that in the help channel, look for my nice blue text and read from there).

something that would be "cool" would be if things that works and is good is not removed atleast. Something else that would be cool is if the patches actually did not downgrade the game from something efficient and functional to something frustrating.
I do not mind, DUST and all those other changes I just want the convenience that existed before to remain, that would be "cool".
Herping yourDerp
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#106 - 2012-10-16 22:49:25 UTC
arria Auscent wrote:
Hermia wrote:
lol, makes you wonder how both communities will treat each other.

we will be their overlords
they will work for us or die

or they won't play. console superiority has been established for years and wont change any time soon
Just Another NPC
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#107 - 2012-10-17 02:47:33 UTC
Abdiel Kavash wrote:
Rommiee wrote:
Abdiel Kavash wrote:
A very minor change that I absolutely love: Showing the member count on the right side of the window too.

I have my local chat moved off the left side of my screen, so that I only see the list of players. I have no need to read the spam in local, so the chat doesn't need to take up screen space. However previously this would hide the local member count. Now I can see the counter and still keep the spam away!

Yeah, but the counter is meaningless, as it includes all the bunnies playing on the planets.

In this image

http://content.eveonline.com/www/newssystem/media/63470/1/memberlist_immediate2.png

I assume it's three space pod people and one dust Orbital Bombardment Target Beacon guy,

FTFY

CCP Eterne: Silly player, ALL devs are evil.

Besitz
The Angelic Crusaders
#108 - 2012-10-17 03:40:48 UTC
I would love to see the ability to highlight text from myself and dust bunnies extended to some client side way to highlight different speakers or groups of speakers with different colors.

IE in a coalition channel highlight myself with one color, dust bunnies with another, my corpies or alliance members with another, and other alliances with others or not at all. That way I could quickly differentiate between them.

Either way, awesome improvements, keep up the great work!
Alx Warlord
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#109 - 2012-10-17 04:53:10 UTC
Just tested the changes...

thumbs up!!!!

quasarabyss
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#110 - 2012-10-17 05:56:04 UTC
Hermia wrote:
lol, makes you wonder how both communities will treat each other.

I'm sure the DustBunnies will be treated with the same love, care and respect as the Eve universe treats all new players.

(Insert witticism here)

Stealthy
New Eden Ninja Mining Consortium
#111 - 2012-10-17 11:30:56 UTC
you should have the ability to select who the player wants their posts to be highlighted by selecting their posts to be colored-in corp or alliance chans this could be used to set apart a specific leaders comments to cut thru the general chatter for impt info

and you prob will want to give each community (eve and dust) the option to block each others posts
Prime FLux
Perkone
Caldari State
#112 - 2012-10-17 11:44:14 UTC
Is there any way to change the color of highlighting, because i have a really hard time seeing it
Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#113 - 2012-10-17 12:07:33 UTC
Nice changes, thank you!

Soldarius
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#114 - 2012-10-17 12:08:46 UTC
Came expecting hoping for the biggest announcement in eve history; local channels are going back to the original delayed mode.

Left sooo disappointed.

http://youtu.be/YVkUvmDQ3HY

Magic Crisp
Amarrian Micro Devices
#115 - 2012-10-17 12:24:59 UTC
CCP Arrow wrote:

The reason we don't display this Global Settings icon for Chat is to safe space in each stacked Chat window to show more of the chat channel's name

To save place for the chat windows, couldn't you just introduce multiline tabs please? we've got tons of chat channels, and practically their names can't be read right now, it's overcrowded.
Magic Crisp
Amarrian Micro Devices
#116 - 2012-10-17 12:29:15 UTC
CCP karkur wrote:
Freezehunter wrote:
Since we have this cool new highlighting system in place, is it possible to highlight messages in the various chats by their standings?

Grey for neutrals, Orange and Red for enemies, Blue, Green and Purple for fleet mates and another color for ourselves.

Would be cool to know on the spot if the guy I am calling a ****** in Jita Local was not in fact a blue. XD

Also, I see that we have new counters that show how many capsuleers and how many bunnies there are, is it possible to get a "red/wartarget" in system alert counter for local chat member list?

I actually want to add the little standings icon to the chat messages... I just need to get someone to agree with me and find time to do it P

I support it! :)
However, could you separate the standing and the secstatus-related icons in the chat please? And if someone's status changes (gains global, joins my fleet, etc) make the chat update automatically? This is really missing.
Freezehunter
#117 - 2012-10-17 13:07:10 UTC
CCP karkur wrote:
Freezehunter wrote:

Thanks for the reply! :)

Inappropriate signature, CCP Phantom.

MooCowofKow
Adhocracy Incorporated
Adhocracy
#118 - 2012-10-17 13:19:59 UTC
Are the dust bunnies going to be able to see us in local and provide intel for the nullbears?
BeanBagKing
The Order of Atlas
#119 - 2012-10-17 13:29:02 UTC  |  Edited by: BeanBagKing
I like it, but as long as I'm here...

+1 for a standings icon on the pic in the chat channel
+1 for configurable highlighting

Edit: and yea, the ability to pin them in any order we like.
Misanth
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE
#120 - 2012-10-17 13:33:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Misanth
* New setting cogwheel is great. This is the kind of 'less UI blocking' additions you should keep doing (give us more space, less stuff eating it up). Thanks!

* Making sure Dust-bunnies don't show up on chatbox total count - necessary, but regardless, thanks for keeping things this way.

* Adding Dust-bunnies to local chat.. No thanks. We already have enough spam in local as is. Quite alot of systems and entities have put this spammage into system, certain high-/null you play with local minimized as is (so you just see the total player count).
* ..oh and that is also why you should never add that we get some kind of highlight or notification if someone type to us, it'll be abused to hell by people spamming our names. Unfortunately. Else it would be very nice.

* Highlight option is off, as others noted. Why'd we want to highlight our own text or Dust-bunnies? The natural highlight would be the other way around: messages to us, or highlight EVE-players (not Dust). This is something you need to reconsider asap.

CCP Explorer wrote:
Oxandrolone wrote:
3rd

Although this is part of the Eve-Dust intergration its nice you thought of eve players and updated our channels a bit, nice to see we can highlight our own text :)

Is there any plans to remove local being on immediate mode in nullsec or possibly allow us to 'disable local broadcasting' or something so we dont show up in local if we dont want too?
Creating a "local solarsystem intelligence tool", so Local Chat can become simply that (a local chat channel), is on the roadmap but hasn't been scheduled yet.

..that will be ******* awsome, reserving judgement on how it actually pans out to be, but long overdue. Then we can finally close the local chat completely, just like the utterly useless constellation chat. Waiting eagerly for this. P

AFK-cloaking in a system near you.