These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev blog: Chat changes

First post First post
Author
Lyron-Baktos
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#61 - 2012-10-16 13:42:52 UTC
your counter is off in the pics. local say 3 but there are 4 people there
Lord Azori
Bob's Bait and Tackle
I Showed You My Probes... Please Respond...
#62 - 2012-10-16 13:43:53 UTC
Alx Warlord wrote:
As you will add an huge number of chars in the local chat, it will make harder to detect hostile spaceship pilots! Add some sort of filter in the local chat, so we can select who we see in it!

Hopefully that is the point :).
CCP karkur
C C P
C C P Alliance
#63 - 2012-10-16 13:46:05 UTC
Lyron-Baktos wrote:

from the devblog wrote:

The channel header/tab will display the number of EVE players for channels in immediate mode (since Local Chat is an important intelligence tool), but displays the combined character count for channels in delayed mode.

CCP karkur | Programmer | Team Five 0 | @CCP_karkur

Fade Toblack
Per.ly
The 20 Minuters
#64 - 2012-10-16 13:48:54 UTC
Already requested, but worth restating.

Can we have a separate ping/flash/highlight option if your character name is mentioned/highlighted in a chat?
Rommiee
Mercury Inc.
#65 - 2012-10-16 13:54:10 UTC
CCP karkur wrote:
Lyron-Baktos wrote:

from the devblog wrote:

The channel header/tab will display the number of EVE players for channels in immediate mode (since Local Chat is an important intelligence tool), but displays the combined character count for channels in delayed mode.

Rommiee wrote:
If the bunnies are hidden from the member list, then the counter should also be changed. It should only display the number of pilots/bunnies that you have chosen in the settings. Or at least make that another option.

There is no reason to do otherwise. If you don't want the bunnies in the member list, why the hell would you need to know how many are in system ?

Oh yeah, and we need to be able to filter out their messages also. Local spam from a bunch of 14 year olds and all that.

CCP karkur......

Don't you think that this makes sense ? Can you please explain the logic behind doing it the way you have ?
CCP Explorer
C C P
C C P Alliance
#66 - 2012-10-16 14:19:17 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Explorer
Oxandrolone wrote:
3rd

Although this is part of the Eve-Dust intergration its nice you thought of eve players and updated our channels a bit, nice to see we can highlight our own text :)

Is there any plans to remove local being on immediate mode in nullsec or possibly allow us to 'disable local broadcasting' or something so we dont show up in local if we dont want too?
Creating a "local solarsystem intelligence tool", so Local Chat can become simply that (a local chat channel), is on the roadmap but hasn't been scheduled yet.

Erlendur S. Thorsteinsson | Senior Development Director | EVE Online // CCP Games | @CCP_Explorer

CCP Explorer
C C P
C C P Alliance
#67 - 2012-10-16 14:24:41 UTC
Rengerel en Distel wrote:
CCP karkur wrote:
CCP karkur wrote:
Does the channel list still only update if there are more than 2? It was noted during testing, but never responded to.
Do you mean the counter? Beacuse that was like that before.
Yes, and still seems like a defect :P A counter that basically says 0 when there are 2 people, then magically jumps to 3 when someone else arrives isn't much of a counter. Small issue, but one i was hoping to have fixed.
The counters shouldn't say 0, they just shouldn't be there. This is so you won't have counters in private conversations Smile
0 or nothing is still nothing, then magically 3. Again, I consider it a defect, and it was brought up during testing, but nothing was said, so I guess CCP doesn't.
This is intended.

Erlendur S. Thorsteinsson | Senior Development Director | EVE Online // CCP Games | @CCP_Explorer

Alx Warlord
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#68 - 2012-10-16 14:27:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Alx Warlord
CCP Explorer wrote:
Oxandrolone wrote:
3rd

Although this is part of the Eve-Dust intergration its nice you thought of eve players and updated our channels a bit, nice to see we can highlight our own text :)

Is there any plans to remove local being on immediate mode in nullsec or possibly allow us to 'disable local broadcasting' or something so we dont show up in local if we dont want too?
Creating a "local solarsystem intelligence tool", so Local Chat can become simply that (a local chat channel), is on the roadmap but hasn't been scheduled yet.

Like the Starbases revamp, the planetary ring mining, the technetium issue, the cloak hunter ship, nice orbital bombardment, the tessellation graphic update and all other CCP/CSM promises?

ok.... but they are coming Soon aren't they? ... I can wait.... ... ... ...
Spugg Galdon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#69 - 2012-10-16 14:59:21 UTC
Alx Warlord wrote:
CCP Explorer wrote:
Oxandrolone wrote:
3rd

Like the Starbases revamp, the planetary ring mining, the technetium issue, the cloak hunter ship, nice orbital bombardment, the tessellation graphic update and all other CCP/CSM promises?

ok.... coming Soon... I can wait....

At least it IS coming soon. 18 months ago we wouldn't be having these kind of updates in the works or even in planning. CCP have pulled their heads out of their arses and we are now, slowly, getting the EvE the players actually want.

Also. HML nerf is perfect Twisted
Also also. New aggression flagging is perfect Twisted
Also also also. New kill right / bounty system is perfect Twisted
Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#70 - 2012-10-16 15:08:53 UTC
These changes are nice. What happens when immediate mode channel members count reaches fifty, will it automatically swtich to delayed when #51 tries to join ?
Desert Ice78
Gryphons of the Western Wind
#71 - 2012-10-16 15:14:20 UTC
Oxandrolone wrote:
3rd

That has already been done. Its called wormhole space.

Your welcome.

I am a pod pilot: http://dl.eve-files.com/media/corp/DesertIce/POD.jpg

CCP Zulu: Came expecting a discussion about computer monitors, left confused.

Alx Warlord
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#72 - 2012-10-16 15:14:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Alx Warlord
Spugg Galdon wrote:
Alx Warlord wrote:
CCP Explorer wrote:
Oxandrolone wrote:
3rd

ok.... coming Soon... I can wait....

At least it IS coming soon. 18 months ago we wouldn't be having these kind of updates in the works or even in planning. CCP have pulled their heads out of their arses and we are now, slowly, getting the EvE the players actually want.

Also. HML nerf is perfect Twisted
Also also. New aggression flagging is perfect Twisted
Also also also. New kill right / bounty system is perfect Twisted

Indeed, but I still think that CCP could have a roadmap page for interested players to see... Like a public development schedule... People would be happy to see that, and would really set a good direction for the "Features and Ideas" forum preventing a good portion of the useless threads and making a useful ideas pool to speed up Devs work...... this could also prevent incidents like the INCARNA where people was expecting too much and had delivered so few... It is not that this would exploit the surprise ( CCP could always run some covert project ) but it can cover some basic needs from the playerbase.
CCP karkur
C C P
C C P Alliance
#73 - 2012-10-16 15:16:53 UTC
Louis deGuerre wrote:
These changes are nice. What happens when immediate mode channel members count reaches fifty, will it automatically swtich to delayed when #51 tries to join ?

I guess not... but for some reason I thought so P (I must have been dreaming about work stuff once againP)

CCP karkur | Programmer | Team Five 0 | @CCP_karkur

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#74 - 2012-10-16 15:18:26 UTC
Galmas wrote:
tl;dr
...off topic...

Last point in the blog:

####
####

Local Channel as intel tool?!?!?!? Can someone please explain that to me? Pirate

Best regards from w-space!

Gal

PS: off topic, lets get rid of the immediate local channel mode everywhere. It will really be a better game afterwards.

CCP has said its that way do roaming gangs can find each other.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Alx Warlord
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#75 - 2012-10-16 16:01:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Alx Warlord
Vincent Athena wrote:
Galmas wrote:
tl;dr
...off topic...

Last point in the blog:

####
####

Local Channel as intel tool?!?!?!? Can someone please explain that to me? Pirate

Best regards from w-space!

Gal

PS: off topic, lets get rid of the immediate local channel mode everywhere. It will really be a better game afterwards.

CCP has said its that way do roaming gangs can find each other.

True.... AND if removing local was a good Idea... WH Space would be crowded...
Logix42
Taxation Damnation
#76 - 2012-10-16 16:04:55 UTC
I fully support this idea
Bumse wrote:
Hmm, when it comes to hilight and chat messages (capsuleer to capsuleer), will the only option be to hilight what me, myself and I type? Or?
What about hilighting text when someone types TO me (which in my opinion is 10000 times more useful)? .... plz have a look at this thread: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=97035 (post 1 and 3)

If I do understand the "Highlight My Messages" thing ... doesn't it seem kinda backwards? If not on a drunken roam I'm usually aware of what I type with my own fingers, but not as aware if someone wants me in one of the gazillion channels that one needs to be in ;P

Also support for highlighting option by standings

Go beyond the edge of space... Explore

Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#77 - 2012-10-16 16:30:35 UTC
CCP Arrow wrote:
War Kitten wrote:
Looks good, less clutter is always nice.

One question: If I turn off dust bunnies chat in local, will the channel counter still show how many there are in system?

Yes, you always see the number of 'Bunnies' even though you hide them from the Member list and/or take their coloring from the chat messages.

You can however not hide the chat messages themselves from the chat channel.

That sounds like it might potentially get really annoying in FW systems..

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Celgar Thurn
Department 10
#78 - 2012-10-16 16:38:27 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:
(omg i'm roleplaying hard right now)

Assuming i am an elitist prick who only accepts the existence of these people,
because i can spread their body parts all over the place ...

... will i be able to turn off any comments of them ? Completely ?

Why would I, as a capsuleer, be forced to read the words of uneducated masses
only good for providing dung, in the form of blood and flesh, to the local environment ?

Thank you for your response.

Edit:
Quote:
You can however not hide the chat messages themselves from the chat channel.

Nevermind then... please increase the maximum number of people i can block !

Thank you very much !

(NOOB ! GAY ! ****** ! That's what i see coming up from these people ...)

I feel the hostility. Smile Having said that as one of the EVE community that has bought a PS3 to join the DUST 514 beta I have noticed an undesirable element in the PS Home area. The Habbo Hotel situation featured heavily on Channel Four (UK television) earlier this year comes to mind. I don't expect that would be allowed or will be likely to occur within DUST 514 channels but I suspect you will get considerably more immaturity on show in DUST than in EVE Online.

Back to OP Dev blog I would presume the Carbon technology will be introduced to DUST so the mercs will be able to show their faces in the portraits in chat channels rather than seeing Caldari helmets all the time Question
Abdiel Kavash
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#79 - 2012-10-16 16:42:03 UTC
Rommiee wrote:
Abdiel Kavash wrote:
A very minor change that I absolutely love: Showing the member count on the right side of the window too.

I have my local chat moved off the left side of my screen, so that I only see the list of players. I have no need to read the spam in local, so the chat doesn't need to take up screen space. However previously this would hide the local member count. Now I can see the counter and still keep the spam away!

Yeah, but the counter is meaningless, as it includes all the bunnies playing on the planets.

In this image

http://content.eveonline.com/www/newssystem/media/63470/1/memberlist_immediate2.png

I assume it's three space pod people and one dust shooty guy,
MIrple
Black Sheep Down
Tactical Narcotics Team
#80 - 2012-10-16 16:45:43 UTC
I dont understand why we need to know how many dust bunnies are in system with us. If you want to display this information wouldnt it be better to represent it as EVE/DUST/Total so with that pic 3/1/4?