These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev blog: Chat changes

First post First post
Author
CCP Arrow
C C P
C C P Alliance
#41 - 2012-10-16 12:39:32 UTC
Daedalus II wrote:
Why is the settings icon a sprocket when for example the drone settings icon is three horizontal lines? Shouldn't it also be a sprocket?

The Cogwheel (Sprocket) is used for Settings that are individual to each Chat channel, but the three horizontal lines icon represents Global Settings for a window. So in the case of the Drone Window, it is a Global Setting that affects all of the Drone UI.

The reason we don't display this Global Settings icon for Chat is to safe space in each stacked Chat window to show more of the chat channel's name

CCP Arrow   |   Director of User Experience   |   EVE Online   |   @CCP_Arrow

Harlequin D'Earth
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#42 - 2012-10-16 12:40:00 UTC
Quote:
Since we were fiddling with message colors anyway we decided we might as well add something that you, our EVE peeps, have asked for: enabling you to highlight your own messages, which you do by toggling "Highlight My Messages" on.
Seem a bit of a waste of highlighting tbh... I already know what I wrote and if I need to get back to it for a re-send ctrl+arrow works fine.

Much more useful would be highlighting chat when someone speaks to me, as laid out in this ideas thread: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=97035
Borlag Crendraven
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#43 - 2012-10-16 12:40:36 UTC
Ability to pin chat tabs in the order you prefer would be much more welcome than dropping a couple of buttons that never got in the way in the first place.
Magic Crisp
Amarrian Micro Devices
#44 - 2012-10-16 12:46:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Magic Crisp
neat. when will you add separate indicators for secstatus AND standig stuff on our beloved ones? :)

and refresh the channel's icons when there's a change, without manually switching back and forth... like someone gains global, or joins your fleet, especially the local should update and reflect that immediately. will you fix this in the upcoming decades? :)
Freezehunter
#45 - 2012-10-16 12:48:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Freezehunter
Since we have this cool new highlighting system in place, is it possible to highlight messages in the various chats by their standings?

Grey for neutrals, Orange and Red for enemies, Blue, Green and Purple for fleet mates and another color for ourselves.

Would be cool to know on the spot if the guy I am calling a ****** in Jita Local was not in fact a blue. XD

Also, I see that we have new counters that show how many capsuleers and how many bunnies there are, is it possible to get a "red/wartarget" in system alert counter for local chat member list?

Inappropriate signature, CCP Phantom.

Hulkdriver003
Shadows Of The Future
#46 - 2012-10-16 12:49:31 UTC
Seriously, I have to listen to the bleatings of a bunch of ADHD FPS children whining and bitching about how many teabaggings they did last round ...... oh you can turn it off thank f#$k for that
Freezehunter
#47 - 2012-10-16 12:50:40 UTC
Hulkdriver003 wrote:
Seriously, I have to listen to the bleatings of a bunch of ADHD console FPS children whining and bitching about how many teabaggings they did last round ...... oh you can turn it off thank f#$k for that

Fixed that for you.

That alone makes them even worse.

Inappropriate signature, CCP Phantom.

Dennie Fleetfoot
DUST University
#48 - 2012-10-16 12:57:25 UTC
I approve this message and indeed the new messaging system.

CEO Dust University

CPM 1&2 Member

www.twitter.com/DennieFleetfoot

Bariolage
Control F9
#49 - 2012-10-16 13:03:23 UTC
Thank you for posting developer blogs; I love reading dev blogs. Also thanks for adding more stuff to this game. Stuff is agreeable.
Nagapito
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#50 - 2012-10-16 13:05:03 UTC
Please, please, add an option to filter messages so we can filter out Dusties but also eve players!

As someone pointed, no need to have 600 dusties spamming in local when we dont care about them.
But also, I dont need the 1k capsulers dropping spam on Jita local and lagging my client! (same for big fleet fights)
A little filter setting, for the client to ignore one or both would make wonders to client performance.

If that is not possible, just give us the option to disable ALL local messages when needed!
Aramatheia
Tiffany and Co.
#51 - 2012-10-16 13:06:19 UTC
not sure if this is relevant but will the changes to chat have any impact on the destructive nature of the "incursion local" chat tab which has a nasty habit of overriding and effectively deleting my chatbox setup when i log into a system where an incursion is in effect?
Rommiee
Mercury Inc.
#52 - 2012-10-16 13:10:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Rommiee
CCP Arrow wrote:
War Kitten wrote:
Looks good, less clutter is always nice.

One question: If I turn off dust bunnies chat in local, will the channel counter still show how many there are in system?

Yes, you always see the number of 'Bunnies' even though you hide them from the Member list and/or take their coloring from the chat messages.

You can however not hide the chat messages themselves from the chat channel.

If the bunnies are hidden from the member list, then the counter should also be changed. It should only display the number of pilots/bunnies that you have chosen in the settings. Or at least make that another option.

There is no reason to do otherwise. If you don't want the bunnies in the member list, why the hell would you need to know how many are in system ?

Oh yeah, and we need to be able to filter out their messages also. Local spam from a bunch of 14 year olds and all that.
Rommiee
Mercury Inc.
#53 - 2012-10-16 13:22:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Rommiee
double post
AMirrorDarkly
Ekchuah's Shrine Comporium
#54 - 2012-10-16 13:26:50 UTC  |  Edited by: AMirrorDarkly
Am I the only one thats noticed that the two local counter in immediate mode don't add up?

It shows three in the top left, but there is clearly 4 people in the channel?

This is just a mistake I assume, unless I've misunderstod of course :)

Otherwise, this seems like a positive change and more information, I like it........ PS when is local going to delayed mode too please :D
Utremi Fasolasi
La Dolce Vita
#55 - 2012-10-16 13:34:02 UTC
CCP karkur is best karkur.
MisterNick
The Sagan Clan
#56 - 2012-10-16 13:35:42 UTC
AMirrorDarkly wrote:
Am I the only one thats noticed that the two local counter in immediate mode don't add up?

It shows three in the top left, but there is clearly 4 people in the channel?

This is just a mistake I assume, unless I've misunderstod of course :)

Otherwise, this seems like a positive change and more information, I like it........ PS when is local going to delayed mode too please :D

Because of this:

CCP Karkur wrote:
The channel header/tab will display the number of EVE players for channels in immediate mode (since Local Chat is an important intelligence tool)

i.e. local top counter doesn't include dusties for the purpose of accurate intel

"Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom."

Bubanni
Corus Aerospace
#57 - 2012-10-16 13:37:25 UTC
That is actually a good idea... allow us to change colour of text from someone in a channel based on standing, and perhaps allow us to change how dust players stand out or are different

Supercap nerf - change ewar immunity https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=194759 Module activation delay! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1180934

Abdiel Kavash
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#58 - 2012-10-16 13:37:28 UTC
A very minor change that I absolutely love: Showing the member count on the right side of the window too.

I have my local chat moved off the left side of my screen, so that I only see the list of players. I have no need to read the spam in local, so the chat doesn't need to take up screen space. However previously this would hide the local member count. Now I can see the counter and still keep the spam away!
Rommiee
Mercury Inc.
#59 - 2012-10-16 13:40:08 UTC
Abdiel Kavash wrote:
A very minor change that I absolutely love: Showing the member count on the right side of the window too.

I have my local chat moved off the left side of my screen, so that I only see the list of players. I have no need to read the spam in local, so the chat doesn't need to take up screen space. However previously this would hide the local member count. Now I can see the counter and still keep the spam away!

Yeah, but the counter is meaningless, as it includes all the bunnies playing on the planets.
Alx Warlord
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#60 - 2012-10-16 13:41:09 UTC
As you will add an huge number of chars in the local chat, it will make harder to detect hostile spaceship pilots! Add some sort of filter in the local chat, so we can select who we see in it!