These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev blog: Chat changes

First post First post
Author
Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#21 - 2012-10-16 11:41:30 UTC
arria Auscent wrote:
they will work for us and die

Fixed that for you.
Skippermonkey
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#22 - 2012-10-16 11:42:21 UTC
arria Auscent wrote:
Hermia wrote:
lol, makes you wonder how both communities will treat each other.

we will be their overlords
they will work for us or die

Or shoot you with some new fangled orbital laser

COME AT ME BRO

I'LL JUST BE DOCKED IN THIS STATION

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#23 - 2012-10-16 11:42:34 UTC
Could we see a distinct chat tab flash whenever somebody mentions your character name, similar to highlighting in chat clients?

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Hermia
HIVE
Memento Moriendo
#24 - 2012-10-16 11:43:29 UTC
arria Auscent wrote:
Hermia wrote:

pretty sure they will treat us as nerds

either way, its going to be delicious
Rengerel en Distel
#25 - 2012-10-16 11:43:48 UTC
CCP karkur wrote:
Rengerel en Distel wrote:
Does the channel list still only update if there are more than 2? It was noted during testing, but never responded to.

Do you mean the counter? Beacuse that was like that before.

Yes, and still seems like a defect :P A counter that basically says 0 when there are 2 people, then magically jumps to 3 when someone else arrives isn't much of a counter. Small issue, but one i was hoping to have fixed.

With the increase in shiptoasting, the Report timer needs to be shortened.

arria Auscent
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#26 - 2012-10-16 11:44:35 UTC
Hermia wrote:
arria Auscent wrote:
Hermia wrote:

pretty sure they will treat us as nerds

either way, its going to be delicious

but we are rich nerds (in eve terms)
we can buy and sell dust players
Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#27 - 2012-10-16 11:45:06 UTC
nom nom nom!

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

CCP karkur
C C P
C C P Alliance
#28 - 2012-10-16 11:45:33 UTC
CCP karkur wrote:
Does the channel list still only update if there are more than 2? It was noted during testing, but never responded to.

Yes, and still seems like a defect :P A counter that basically says 0 when there are 2 people, then magically jumps to 3 when someone else arrives isn't much of a counter. Small issue, but one i was hoping to have fixed.

The counters shouldn't say 0, they just shouldn't be there. This is so you won't have counters in private conversations Smile

CCP karkur | Programmer | Team Five 0 | @CCP_karkur

Galmas
United System's Commonwealth
#29 - 2012-10-16 11:48:39 UTC
tl;dr
...off topic...

Last point in the blog:

####
The channel header/tab will display the number of EVE players for channels in immediate mode (since Local Chat is an important intelligence tool), but displays the combined character count for channels in delayed mode.
####

Local Channel as intel tool?!?!?!? Can someone please explain that to me? Pirate

Best regards from w-space!

Gal

PS: off topic, lets get rid of the immediate local channel mode everywhere. It will really be a better game afterwards.
Xikuan
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#30 - 2012-10-16 11:51:11 UTC
Can you also view all EVE characters in system via DUST? Does this mean EVE players now have the opportunity to gain free intel gathering DUST characters that can go anywhere in EVE, report local to alliance/coalition and are completely immune to destruction or death?

So DUST alts would be risk and cost free intel gathers for our alliance and coalition intel reporting network?
bischa
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#31 - 2012-10-16 11:53:29 UTC
whoa ok , even assuming one match per planet say 10 planets 64 game match each, 640 players ..extra..in local , any thoughts on how that clutter is going to sort itself out?
arria Auscent
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#32 - 2012-10-16 11:58:33 UTC
so dust players will be in local?
hope they are highlighted as local is intel tool

or better yet have 2 locals 1 eve 1 dust
Lord Azori
Bob's Bait and Tackle
I Showed You My Probes... Please Respond...
#33 - 2012-10-16 12:04:32 UTC
I hope this is a step toward delayed local in nullsec and lowsec. As a WH dweller, I say make it all like WH's, but I think there might be a bit of backlash if that were the case.
Inquisitor Kitchner
The Executives
#34 - 2012-10-16 12:12:22 UTC
I like the fact everything is being overhauled slowly, with the targeting changes all that's left is the windows and stuff and the game will be refreshed a bit. Good times!

In terms of highlighting dust players, are you able to post a screenshot of what it looks like with a compacted memberlist?

The highlighting does make DUST players stand out, what was the logic behind that? At the moment it rather looks like (if you were new to the game) that the DUST player is somehow in charge etc. Also if there's like 15 dust players and 3 EVE players it will look a bit odd.

Is it possible to have a slightly less obvious highlight for dust players, but then also have a highlight for EVE players? I think potentially it would look a bit better.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared." - Niccolo Machiavelli

Bumse
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#35 - 2012-10-16 12:20:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Bumse
Hmm, when it comes to hilight and chat messages (capsuleer to capsuleer), will the only option be to hilight what me, myself and I type? Or?
What about hilighting text when someone types TO me (which in my opinion is 10000 times more useful)? .... plz have a look at this thread: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=97035 (post 1 and 3)

If I do understand the "Highlight My Messages" thing ... doesn't it seem kinda backwards? If not on a drunken roam I'm usually aware of what I type with my own fingers, but not as aware if someone wants me in one of the gazillion channels that one needs to be in ;P

Bring EVE into the 21st century, add some basic chat features IRC-clients have had since the beginning of the 1990's. Get proper chat hilighting into EVE! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=97035

LiquidDreams
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#36 - 2012-10-16 12:25:20 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Suvetar
highlighting our own message is O .....K..

but why the hell not take the REAL step and highlight the message people write to us containing OUR name ?

highlighting our own text wont solve that we will loose important messages send to us..

cmon CCP allready ..

make us enable Highlight people when we mention their names
and make us choose words that gets highlighted when mentioned..
perhaps a small sound note also along the flashing of a new colour ( own choise also )

GIVE US THE CONTROL !

Edit: Moved from General Discussion - ISD Suvetar
Pierced Brosmen
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#37 - 2012-10-16 12:29:53 UTC
If people drag and drop someone's avatar/name into chat instead of typing their name, the name will be highlighted (as in a yellow link to their show info window)... Ofcourse, that means that any name would be highlighted, but it's a start... Would look messy if everyone did so all the time though :D

Also, you might want to have a doctor inspect that neck of yours... it looks painfull
Daedalus II
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#38 - 2012-10-16 12:30:28 UTC
Why is the settings icon a sprocket when for example the drone settings icon is three horizontal lines? Shouldn't it also be a sprocket?
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#39 - 2012-10-16 12:32:45 UTC
My only concern so far is how user friendly these dust puppies will be.

Rengerel en Distel
#40 - 2012-10-16 12:37:16 UTC
CCP karkur wrote:
CCP karkur wrote:

The counters shouldn't say 0, they just shouldn't be there. This is so you won't have counters in private conversations Smile

0 or nothing is still nothing, then magically 3. Again, I consider it a defect, and it was brought up during testing, but nothing was said, so I guess CCP doesn't.

With the increase in shiptoasting, the Report timer needs to be shortened.