These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

How to improve a nomadic lifestyle

Author
Lavitakus Bromier
WTF Bunnies
#81 - 2012-10-13 00:45:10 UTC
A moving city or a massive mothership... Choices choices....
Vanessa Vansen
Vandeo
#82 - 2012-10-13 09:51:06 UTC
Buzzy Warstl wrote:
The fundamental basis here is that to play extensively in space that you don't control you need one of two options:

1. A ship that is capable of truly extended independent operations.
2. A mobile base that you can fly away from for hours at a time with a *reasonable expectation* that it will still be there when you get back.

Right!

Let's hope that CCP will come up with a system that let's you go all the way from 1 to 2.
Deornoth Drake
Vandeo
#83 - 2012-10-13 13:01:06 UTC
Lavitakus Bromier wrote:
A moving city or a massive mothership... Choices choices....

Stargate Atlantis Big smile
Deornoth Drake
Vandeo
#84 - 2012-10-13 13:39:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Deornoth Drake
Have been reading that:
X-COM: Enemy Unknow JJ ABRAMS STYLE

I remembered playing and liking the original game, so I had a look at it and found this:
The Base

A base within EVE (be it a POS or a POS-ship or whatever) could have some of those features as well.
E.g. building labs close together provides additional slots, or faster research
Lavitakus Bromier
WTF Bunnies
#85 - 2012-10-13 15:00:40 UTC
Just baught that game. Played original to.
I'd be Hella bad ass if eve made the pod system.kinda like the base in that game.
Deornoth Drake
Vandeo
#86 - 2012-10-26 11:36:04 UTC
Think about that:

1. Move your into a new system.
  2. Anchor
  3. Board Covert Ops/Stragic Cruiser for scanning
  4. Board ship to run the sites waiting for you
  5. Board and unanchor
  6. repeat

features:

• able to use stargates
  • able to jump to (regular) cynos (not the covert one)
  • ship maintenance bay (equals a ship maintenance array when anchored)
  • corp hangar
  • some defenses (e.g. shield or being unprobable when anchored)
  • anchor could be removed by pilot (anchor for self) or permitted corp members (anchor for corp)
  • research slots
  • manufacturing slots
  • clone vat bay (clone in AND out, would be a very welcome feature for Rorquals, too)
  • add more interesting fea

Of course the ship should be scalable from 1-person to giant alliance duty, i.e. the more features you want the bigger the ship is getting, e.g. at a point it might be too big to pass through stargates. Think of it as depending on the current captial (and super-capital) hulls
Vanessa Vansen
Vandeo
#87 - 2012-11-28 22:07:25 UTC
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2237763#post2237763

Quote:
First, a minor change in game play:
Let anchoring be available for any kind of ship.
maybe with increasing anchoring time depending on hull size,
e.g frigate & destroyer - 1 minute, cruiser & BC - 2 minutes, BS - 3 minutes, (non-super) captials - 4 minutes, super capitals 5 minutes
And of course the same time for unanchoring.
This time is required to turn the main engine off / on.

Before initiating the anchor process you have to eject.

Once the ship is anchored you can access the hangars and use modules similar to POS.
E.g. if you anchored a ship with a remote armor repair system, you could use that to repair another ship (not the one mounting that module).
In other aspects it behaves similar to an anchored container (anchored for corp or personal usage)

So, in case of carriers/Rorqual/Orca you would have a little base of operation but it would be pretty vulnerable.

Because of that we need the
Stealth Module
Only works with anchored ships and renders them improbable.
Otherwise similar to cloak, i.e. you may not run any other module beside.

While an anchored ship with a running stealth module is improbable,
every probable thing around still is probable. The ship itself will be probable again while unanchoring or after the stealth module is turned off, e.g. to run a repair system module.
Alx Warlord
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#88 - 2012-11-29 20:34:12 UTC
Deornoth Drake wrote:
Have been reading that:
X-COM: Enemy Unknow JJ ABRAMS STYLE

I remembered playing and liking the original game, so I had a look at it and found this:
The Base

A base within EVE (be it a POS or a POS-ship or whatever) could have some of those features as well.
E.g. building labs close together provides additional slots, or faster research

I hope CCP to do something 10x better then firaxis did there... and firaxis did an awesome job...
Cronides
Doomheim
#89 - 2012-11-30 04:00:31 UTC
Vanessa Vansen
Vandeo
#90 - 2012-12-26 18:53:14 UTC
looking for your own space winnabago ... x up here to tell CCP what you're looking for
tankus2
HeartVenom Inc.
#91 - 2012-12-27 01:34:17 UTC
Tryaz wrote:
tankus2 wrote:
Of course, she would likely become the biggest ship flying, easily 20km at her beam.

You understand that beam is width right?

Perhaps I should brush up on my naval terms >_<

Where the science gets done

Barbara Nichole
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#92 - 2012-12-27 04:22:23 UTC
Some of your ideas are interesting but I have some concerns about making space too small. The easier it is to haul your digital life around the smaller space becomes. Some inconvenience is a good thing.

- remove the cloaked from local; free intel is the real problem, not  "afk" cloaking -

[IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a208/DawnFrostbringer/consultsig.jpg[/IMG]

Vanessa Vansen
Vandeo
#93 - 2012-12-28 14:43:52 UTC
Barbara Nichole wrote:
Some of your ideas are interesting but I have some concerns about making space too small. The easier it is to haul your digital life around the smaller space becomes. Some inconvenience is a good thing.

True about that, the easier it is to get from A to B with your stuff, the smaller space becomes.
However, due to Titan bridges, the space is already very small.
Vanessa Vansen
Vandeo
#94 - 2013-03-19 18:55:16 UTC
up Big smile

Time to say hello again
Vanessa Vansen
Vandeo
#95 - 2013-05-15 20:38:46 UTC
Not yet closed ... stay alive my little baby
Rayzilla Zaraki
Yin Jian Enterprises
#96 - 2013-05-15 22:39:22 UTC
Big +1 for this whole thread.

The idea of a nomadic POS-type ship is very interesting. Just keep traveling and traveling.

I think, though, that its facilities would have to be less capable than a standard station or POS. Limited manufacturing - someone mentioned no bigger than a Battleship. That works. It also shouldn't be able to carry a whole bunch of big ships, either. Divide those bays so there isn't one HUGE bay but a bunch of smaller ones, this will keep from just filling one with Battleships (or worse, Capitals). In fact, no docking of Capitals at all. Shuttle supplies. Yes, I know it'd make a problem for players to log out. Nomadic players would have to work on owning the big ships in "shifts".

When mobile, I think services should be very limited. For instance, no manufacturing of ships, research or refining. If the crew wants to do those things, they should stop and set up (anchor) the proper facilities. Then, when done, dismantle, pack them up and move on. This fits in with a nomadic way of life. The caravan goes to an area with resources and sets up tents (in this case, the POS's) when the area is depleted, they pack up and move on.

If, at a later time, a T2 or even T3 version comes out then allow for some extra abilities.

As far as slots go, I'd say there should be very few. The crew and their ships need to provide what the slots would have. I am not sure I'd even put weapons on it. Give it enough slots to allow for variety, or, do a subsystem sort of thing except the subsystem is a permanent addition and must be destroyed to be removed, like a rig.

The downside with these is that there would be a HUGE target on them "just because" everyone wants to kill the biggest thing in the game. One of these would require a large and dedicated crew across several time zones to pull off. Making them unscannable just doesn't make sense. I suppose you could cloak them...but...really?

Gate campers are just Carebears with anger issues.

Ruze
Next Stage Initiative
#97 - 2013-05-15 23:06:26 UTC
I am personally a huge supporter of nomadic gameplay, though the where and how is hard to add to a game like EvE while maintaining the balance of not letting solo players become as powerful as teamwork. I know that solo play is a favored playstyle (it's pretty much 90% of what I do), but anything a single player can make awesome, a fleet of can generally break the game.

So, the concept of the ORE Command Center was my take on it. Linked here:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=229055&find=unread

The biggest difference between this mobile POS, is the control mechanism. Taking it out of the current POS titles mechanics, while also taking it away from the 'mothership stuck in space' issue of shared piloting. An entirely new way to move and guide this large base of operations.

As you may can tell, this would work the best for w-space individuals, allowing them to migrate from w-space to w-space more effectively. But it's uses in all space are obvious.

Questions, comments and concerns are welcome.

If you're driven to threaten others with harm or violence because of what they do in game, you can't separate fantasy from reality. That "griefer/thief" is probably more sane than you are. How screwed up is that?

Rayzilla Zaraki
Yin Jian Enterprises
#98 - 2013-05-17 23:54:40 UTC
Big bump. Love this topic.

Gate campers are just Carebears with anger issues.