These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

I hate "Farming"

Author
Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#21 - 2012-10-12 19:44:53 UTC
Came looking for a new and exciting thread about agriculture. Found only a standard whine thread about (stuff).

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

octahexx Charante
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#22 - 2012-10-12 21:14:38 UTC
anything can be boring.
i mean pong was the first pvp game...how manny hours can you do of that?
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#23 - 2012-10-13 01:37:39 UTC
Farming is fun in FW because people will try and get a T1 frigate killmail...

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Keen Fallsword
Skyway Patrol
#24 - 2012-10-13 03:37:33 UTC
Kult Altol wrote:
This is General Discussion so I thought I'd bring up a "General Topic"

Farming - I hate it. It seems like such a trivial waste of time. Newer games seem to pride them selves on "Farming" IE D3, or any traditional MMO. You reach max level, you do dungeons, get gear to do better dungeons to get better gear. I think that is why I enjoy eve so much, yes you can "Farm" but its not the main style of game play. There are many other things you can do. What I don't get is why so many people actually enjoy farming. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result, that is farming to me.

tl;dr = Farming is stupid
(ib4 Jim Era "Wat")

Good that you hate it. but eve is not about farming but grinding ! Grind grind grind one ISK here one ISK there :)
Karrl Tian
Doomheim
#25 - 2012-10-13 04:44:48 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:

Hey, my l33t pvp corp only said I needed a 3:1 k/d ration, they didn't say how I had to get it. Big smile
Feer Truelight
#26 - 2012-10-13 04:55:00 UTC
Farming is fabulous.

If you are busy in RL:
1st monitor: Lick asteroids in your Retriever/Mack
2nd monitor: Do whatever needs to be done

If you aren't busy in RL:
1st monitor: Do whatever you want to do in EVE
2nd monitor: Lick asteroids in your Retriever/Mack on your 2nd account

win-win situation!

8/7/2006 3:39:36 PM UTC FreeCCP Promotional Game Time 7 Days Paid

6/1/2012 5:48:57 PM UTC PayPal 1 x 1 Month EVE Subscription + Signup €19.95 Paid

CCP took 6 years to convert me to a (still) paying subscriber :)

Soon Shin
Scarlet Weather Rhapsody
#27 - 2012-10-13 05:24:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Soon Shin
The thing that keeps people playing in EVE is that losses are permanent. Imagine if you didn't lose anything when you died. You would end up back in the same ship you were in a station after being killed.

Now imagine what happens to the market, it would become saturated because the accumulation of items would exceed the rate that new players and characters are made.

Now imagine if you had everything and never lost anything. The game would become boring very quick and many veterans would simply quit the game.

Such a case is happening with WoW, you pretty much level up to the highest cap, get the best gear, get bored of raids, and pretty much quit until a new expansion comes out. You then rise and repeat.

This is a game where you have to keep moving whether it be farming, trading, scamming, etc. this motivates people to keep playing.

If you want to make money, the best way to do it is to try and learn new things. Alternate from one thing to another. Meet new people and find new things.

This game has no limitations to what you can do when you put your mind to it.

After playing this game for years, I keep thinking that I've learned everything this game has to offer, only to find that I am not even close.
Eternus8lux8lucis
Guardians of the Gate
RAZOR Alliance
#28 - 2012-10-13 06:29:18 UTC
Soon Shin wrote:
The thing that keeps people playing in EVE is that losses are permanent. Imagine if you didn't lose anything when you died. You would end up back in the same ship you were in a station after being killed.

Now imagine what happens to the market, it would become saturated because the accumulation of items would exceed the rate that new players and characters are made.

Now imagine if you had everything and never lost anything. The game would become boring very quick and many veterans would simply quit the game.

Such a case is happening with WoW, you pretty much level up to the highest cap, get the best gear, get bored of raids, and pretty much quit until a new expansion comes out. You then rise and repeat.

This is a game where you have to keep moving whether it be farming, trading, scamming, etc. this motivates people to keep playing.

If you want to make money, the best way to do it is to try and learn new things. Alternate from one thing to another. Meet new people and find new things.

This game has no limitations to what you can do when you put your mind to it.

After playing this game for years, I keep thinking that I've learned everything this game has to offer, only to find that I am not even close.

I think you get this game imo.

Have you heard anything I've said?

You said it's all circling the drain, the whole universe. Right?

That's right.

Had to end sometime.

Hrothgar Nilsson
#29 - 2012-10-13 07:05:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Hrothgar Nilsson
octahexx Charante wrote:
anything can be boring.
i mean pong was the first pvp game...how manny hours can you do of that?

Man, I remember when Pong first came out. I got it the first week it was in store (I threw down a cool $100 which was a lot of money in them days) and the grandkids would play endlessly all day and night when we had them over for the weekend.
Kult Altol
The Safe Space
#30 - 2012-10-13 08:19:26 UTC
Feer Truelight wrote:
Farming is fabulous.

If you are busy in RL:
1st monitor: Lick asteroids in your Retriever/Mack
2nd monitor: Do whatever needs to be done

If you aren't busy in RL:
1st monitor: Do whatever you want to do in EVE
2nd monitor: Lick asteroids in your Retriever/Mack on your 2nd account

win-win situation!

Lick.....Asteroids.

[u]Can't wait untill when Eve online is Freemium.[/u] WiS only 10$, SP booster for one month 15$, DPS Boost 2$, EHP Boost 2$ Real money trading hub! Cosmeitic ship skins 15$ --> If you don't [u]pay **[/u]for a product, you ARE the [u]**product[/u].

Ptraci
3 R Corporation
#31 - 2012-10-13 12:16:41 UTC
Then farm other people for kill-mails.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#32 - 2012-10-13 13:43:19 UTC
Karrl Tian wrote:
Alavaria Fera wrote:

Hey, my l33t pvp corp only said I needed a 3:1 k/d ration, they didn't say how I had to get it. Big smile

Look at it this way, you get killmails, CCP doesn't have to code better rats ^___^

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Ioci
Bad Girl Posse
#33 - 2012-10-13 17:10:54 UTC
Most people who say they hate farming because it's boring switch gears real quick when they start to lose ships to the 'more funner' PvE.

R.I.P. Vile Rat

Kult Altol
The Safe Space
#34 - 2012-10-13 18:46:54 UTC
Ioci wrote:
Most people who say they hate farming because it's boring switch gears real quick when they start to lose ships to the 'more funner' PvE.

No its not like that. this is not Eve related. Yes there is farming in Eve, but its not the ONLY way like in alot of games.

[u]Can't wait untill when Eve online is Freemium.[/u] WiS only 10$, SP booster for one month 15$, DPS Boost 2$, EHP Boost 2$ Real money trading hub! Cosmeitic ship skins 15$ --> If you don't [u]pay **[/u]for a product, you ARE the [u]**product[/u].

Prince Kobol
#35 - 2012-10-13 19:02:20 UTC
I love farming.

My potatoes did very well this year as did my peas :)
Johan Civire
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#36 - 2012-10-14 02:24:32 UTC
Kult Altol wrote:
This is General Discussion so I thought I'd bring up a "General Topic"

Farming - I hate it. It seems like such a trivial waste of time. Newer games seem to pride them selves on "Farming" IE D3, or any traditional MMO. You reach max level, you do dungeons, get gear to do better dungeons to get better gear. I think that is why I enjoy eve so much, yes you can "Farm" but its not the main style of game play. There are many other things you can do. What I don't get is why so many people actually enjoy farming. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result, that is farming to me.

tl;dr = Farming is stupid
(ib4 Jim Era "Wat")

all games are farming waiting grinding xp leveling and so on you dont like it stop playing games.... urgh people those days.
Previous page12