These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

I hate "Farming"

Author
Kult Altol
The Safe Space
#1 - 2012-10-12 15:24:41 UTC
This is General Discussion so I thought I'd bring up a "General Topic"

Farming - I hate it. It seems like such a trivial waste of time. Newer games seem to pride them selves on "Farming" IE D3, or any traditional MMO. You reach max level, you do dungeons, get gear to do better dungeons to get better gear. I think that is why I enjoy eve so much, yes you can "Farm" but its not the main style of game play. There are many other things you can do. What I don't get is why so many people actually enjoy farming. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result, that is farming to me.

tl;dr = Farming is stupid
(ib4 Jim Era "Wat")

[u]Can't wait untill when Eve online is Freemium.[/u] WiS only 10$, SP booster for one month 15$, DPS Boost 2$, EHP Boost 2$ Real money trading hub! Cosmeitic ship skins 15$ --> If you don't [u]pay **[/u]for a product, you ARE the [u]**product[/u].

Jim Era
#2 - 2012-10-12 15:28:27 UTC
Hey now. I don't like farming either.

Wat™

Nanatoa
#3 - 2012-10-12 15:29:49 UTC
Jim Era wrote:

Wat?

"Stay the course, we have done this many times before." - (CCP) Hilmar, June 2011

Silk daShocka
Greasy Hair Club
#4 - 2012-10-12 15:30:43 UTC
Jim Era wrote:

Wat?
Kari Juptris
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#5 - 2012-10-12 15:34:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Kari Juptris
Kult Altol wrote:
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result, that is farming to me.

The random number generator disagrees with you. I don't like farming either, but you cannot deny that the reason people do it is because the RNG occasionally rewards them.

Mission running is a whole lot like farming, and you aren't bashing people for that are you? The primary difference is that with missions you get your reward in a steady stream, instead of in a lump sum every so often.
Muad 'dib
State War Academy
Caldari State
#6 - 2012-10-12 15:34:59 UTC
farming = hours of no thinking
doing nothing and letting your trades make you money = a few hours thinking

Cosmic signature detected. . . . http://i.imgur.com/Z7NfIS6.jpg I got 99 likes, and this post aint one.

Robert De'Arneth
#7 - 2012-10-12 15:35:09 UTC
I feel your pain, and I am quite upset that you people are ruining the World Famous Jim Era wat!! Jim was the genius who brought us this GEM, let him have it!! Oops

Now, since MMORPG's are in business to take money from gaming dorks, and it works really well, yes we are all insane!! What would you do in your perfect mmoprg to stop farming.

I'm a nerd, you can check my stats!! Skilling Int/Mem at 45 sp per minute is how I mack!     I'm like a lapdog, all bark no bite. 

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#8 - 2012-10-12 15:41:03 UTC
Silk daShocka wrote:
Jim Era wrote:

Wat?

Wave Action Today?
Weasels Attempting Triathalons?
Women Againt Thimbles?
Weapons Attacking Trilobites?

ISK without farming: Buy a PLEX.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Karn Dulake
Doomheim
#9 - 2012-10-12 15:47:22 UTC
Instead of complaining could you give an alternative.

And if we were given a 1000 of every ship we would not get the shakes whenever we went into battle
I dont normally troll, but when i do i do it on General Discussion.
BearJews
Order of Extrodinary Gentlemen
#10 - 2012-10-12 16:11:24 UTC
it's a game of choices, don't like farming? Don't do it

/thread
Kunming
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#11 - 2012-10-12 17:24:04 UTC
Yea farming is dull thats why they changing NPC AI in the first place.

On the other hand I always wondered under which category people fell who did the same thing repeatedly and expect the same result at the same time, farmers? Big smile
Mortimer Civeri
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2012-10-12 17:32:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Mortimer Civeri
I didn't want to be a farmer. I wanted to be... a lumberjack!

Leaping from tree to tree, as they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia. The Giant Redwood. The Larch. The Fir! The mighty Scots Pine! The lofty flowering Cherry! The plucky little Apsen! The limping Roo tree of Nigeria. The towering Wattle of Aldershot! The Maidenhead Weeping Water Plant! The naughty Leicestershire Flashing Oak! The flatulent Elm of West Ruislip! The Quercus Maximus Bamber Gascoigni! The Epigillus! The Barter Hughius Greenus!

With my best buddy by my side, we'd sing! Sing! Sing!

"I don't know which is worse, ...that everyone has his price, or that the price is always so low." Calvin

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2012-10-12 17:34:41 UTC
Mortimer Civeri wrote:

Didn't wanna be a tough guy, wanted to be a dancer! Cool

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Reverend Cletis
Synister Mynisters
#14 - 2012-10-12 17:36:18 UTC
Mortimer Civeri wrote:

...and when I grow up, I want to be a Road Runner.
Kult Altol
The Safe Space
#15 - 2012-10-12 18:01:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Kult Altol
Karn Dulake wrote:
Instead of complaining could you give an alternative.

And if we were given a 1000 of every ship we would not get the shakes whenever we went into battle

I wouldn't say I'm complaining. Its a observation in modern trend I see in video games. And there really isn't a fix.
Griding missions is a little different cause the rewards arn't so variable. My issue is that Farming has become an acceptable form of game play. Making Farming an end game mechanic seems lazy.

bearjews wrote:

/thread

Thanks for that advice, thank you so much.

edit: wat

[u]Can't wait untill when Eve online is Freemium.[/u] WiS only 10$, SP booster for one month 15$, DPS Boost 2$, EHP Boost 2$ Real money trading hub! Cosmeitic ship skins 15$ --> If you don't [u]pay **[/u]for a product, you ARE the [u]**product[/u].

F'elch
Wall Street Trading
#16 - 2012-10-12 18:47:04 UTC
I don't get it. Farming is making ISK in the easiest, most formulaic, least time-consuming way possible so you can buy ships and mods and then lose them in PVP. Yeah, some people farm just because they want lots of money and more money and more money and pimp their PVE ship with officer mods but the majority of us are buying stuff just to lose it.
Eternus8lux8lucis
Guardians of the Gate
RAZOR Alliance
#17 - 2012-10-12 18:50:38 UTC
Farming. hmm what a strange thing. Back in the old days it was the way you put food on the table..... oh wait thats real life. Definitely not lazy either.

In game its seen as this horrendous play style. Frankly I have 4 accounts I pay yearly for by credit card and several others I pay by plex. Now farming isnt exact an olympic event nor is it the highest form of excitement yet it certainly "pays the bills" just like most people choose 9-5 in real life versus the World Series Of Poker in order to make their living. Ever wonder why? This means in real life most people are farmers, be it minimum wage or a higher salary. In fact salaries far outstrip contract or other bonus work in terms of percent of the working populations paychecks. Most people cannot handle the stress related to bill deadlines that are steady and ordinary so want income thats lower pay but also steady and ordinary. That this trend plays over into games isnt abnormal in fact psychologically its quite sound and normal.

People want dollars/hour so in game its converted into isk/hour paychecks. I put X hours in I get Y income out. Exploration and PvP and other styles of jackpot paydays can also, like Poker, become isk/hour if you do it long enough and steady enough. But with games, especially Eve where plexing accounts is a larger trend, steady incomes are valued by the gaming population. The biggest issues are nerfs or game changes that will change the "farming" paychecks of current players or reward certain types of players. Incursions, anom whoring, plexing, FW plexing, L4s, etc. The disparity creates miniature "gold rushes" into each new "job" as players look for better employment.

Now players who pay by credit card are subverting this need. They are the silver spooned, trust fund babies players who do not technically NEED an income source and so can live on the poker style large jackpots for a longer time. Then theres the richer set that not only pay by credit card but also buy and sell plexs so they can fund a much higher and grander lifestyle in game through other peoples earnings and incomes. This is often why people who think they understand X isk/hour income streams and who only dabble in them, casual gamers who will only enjoy grinding or farming for a few minutes at a stretch before sheer and utter boredom sets in and who feels entitled that they should be able to make billions in seconds without much work are abhorred at the idea that joe blow or sally sunshine can spend 4, 6, 8 or more hours a day at the computer doing X, Y and Z farming technique and through their elite mathematical skills can venture to guesstimate what sort of income these players are making. Often not realizing that in fact most of this steady income goes to "rent" and other "basic living expenses" just like it does in real life and theres not much left over for the funner stuff, nevermind not much TIME to enjoy it in.

So in game attitudes are much like real life ones in terms of work and what constitutes work or employment. And people wonder why people join null sec alliances and do the "bosses" bidding and in turn get the rewards of corporate and social inclusion into a select demographic and group setting with all of the intrinsic and extrinsic rewards for the cost of such inclusion they must "work" and are often rewarded with a little extra perk here and there such as ship replacement funds but for the most part must still do their own work to gain any income for next weeks big 'office meeting' or that company softball tournament with the company next door. Yet people quibble about the entrepreneurs and be your own boss types that enjoy doing something in game that few get to do out of game in that scary place we call the real world. Being your own boss is often the epitome of employment; you get to work your own hours and do what you want when you want to. Often there are less perks and many drawbacks, no dental or "health" insurance when that softball tournament breaks out in your backyard and your left with a bat to the nutsack.

So why do people wonder about farming and grinding so much in game? Look into the real world and invest some time to understand the psychology of what makes people tick out of game and youll see a lot of resemblance to the world inside the screen as well. Especially over time.

Have you heard anything I've said?

You said it's all circling the drain, the whole universe. Right?

That's right.

Had to end sometime.

Josef Djugashvilis
#18 - 2012-10-12 19:12:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Josef Djugashvilis
BearJews wrote:

/thread

^^ This.

The whole point of Eve, is that you do not have to actually do anything.

Except pay CCP for the priviledge of doing nothing.

Don't like farming?

Don't do it.

This is not a signature.

Kult Altol
The Safe Space
#19 - 2012-10-12 19:22:56 UTC
Josef Djugashvilis wrote:
BearJews wrote:

/thread

^^ This.

Except pay CCP for the priviiedge of doing nothing.

Don't like farming?

Don't do it.

I know this. I'm just pointing out its a lazy end game mechanic in a lot of games. Instead of adding something new or worth while, like additional story, different classes, new styles of game play, new ways to interact. I don't farm in Eve, that is why I like the game and what makes it unique. Most modern games all involve a form of farming of a sort. I guess I miss the days when a game had a conclusion. instead of a end less carrot on a stick (Eve does that too tho).

Rengerel en Distel
#20 - 2012-10-12 19:40:14 UTC
Kult Altol wrote:
Josef Djugashvilis wrote:
BearJews wrote:

/thread

^^ This.

Except pay CCP for the priviiedge of doing nothing.

Don't like farming?

Don't do it.

I know this. I'm just pointing out its a lazy end game mechanic in a lot of games. Instead of adding something new or worth while, like additional story, different classes, new styles of game play, new ways to interact. I don't farm in Eve, that is why I like the game and what makes it unique. Most modern games all involve a form of farming of a sort. I guess I miss the days when a game had a conclusion. instead of a end less carrot on a stick (Eve does that too tho).

Farming is generally in other games a means to do things with other people. Dungeons and such take other people to do at the end levels. The same can be said for EVE, with mining ops and group PVE (incursions). Farming becomes a social aspect of the game, which is the intended behavior. EVE though, tends to promote more solo play, encouraging added accounts instead of added people for farming.

With the increase in shiptoasting, the Report timer needs to be shortened.

12Next page