These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

How to Boil a Frog

First post
Author
Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#201 - 2012-10-12 01:56:34 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
When tech moons can be depleted perhaps those incursions should leave high sec.

Have you scanned a region before? A constellation? A single system?

Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Or maybe remove local in 0.0.

What's that you say, you wanted incursions, L4s and L3s to be removed from hisec?

Okay then.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.

RIP Vile Rat

Tarryn Nightstorm
Hellstar Towing and Recovery
#202 - 2012-10-12 03:13:17 UTC
OK, so we've got theoretical FFA in hisec --just ask CCP, they'll tell you-- although I suspect the actual result will be much different.

So, let's take this to its logical endpoint:

CCP, allow covert cyno generation and bridging-to/between in hisec, with the legal possibility to escape CONCORD through same.

Star Wars: the Old Republic may not be EVE. But I'll take the sound of dual blaster-pistols over "NURVV CLAOKING NAOW!!!11oneone!!" any day of the week.

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#203 - 2012-10-12 06:32:30 UTC
Tarryn Nightstorm wrote:
OK, so we've got theoretical FFA in hisec --just ask CCP, they'll tell you-- although I suspect the actual result will be much different.

So, let's take this to its logical endpoint:

CCP, allow covert cyno generation and bridging-to/between in hisec, with the legal possibility to escape CONCORD through same.

That with the present proposed crimewatch and bounty system would really stir things up.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#204 - 2012-10-12 06:34:02 UTC
Lord Zim wrote:
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:

Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:

What's that you say, you wanted incursions, L4s and L3s to be removed from hisec?

Okay then.

I spends months at a time in 0.0, trespassing, and go weeks at a time without seeing anybody else. I can say I scanned quite a few systems since exploration is pretty much the bulk of what I have done since they revamped it.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#205 - 2012-10-12 07:19:29 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Lord Zim wrote:
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:

Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:

Okay then.

I spends months at a time in 0.0, trespassing, and go weeks at a time without seeing anybody else. I can say I scanned quite a few systems since exploration is pretty much the bulk of what I have done since they revamped it.

I'll take that as a no, then.

RIP Vile Rat

Pipa Porto
#206 - 2012-10-12 07:52:05 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Lord Zim wrote:
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:

Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:

Okay then.

Wrong type of scanning, jenious.

If you're talking about depleteable moon minerals, you're talking about increasing the amount of moon scanning necessary. How many systems have you scanned down completely? I've done about a dozen systems (never more than 1 or two at a time, by the way) and each time it make me want to [bad taste filter preempting comment of great violence].

EvE: Everyone vs Everyone

-RubyPorto

Eugene Kerner
TunDraGon
Goonswarm Federation
#207 - 2012-10-12 07:53:01 UTC
this frog still living?

TunDraGon is recruiting! "Also, your boobs [:o] "   CCP Eterne, 2012 "When in doubt...make a diȼk joke." Robin Williams - RIP

Xhendiorandielum
Griffon's Revenge
#208 - 2012-10-16 13:31:24 UTC
1. Remove people showing up in local.
2. Make minerals in HiSec completely finite.
3. Move level 4 sec. missions to low sec.
4. Replace CONCORD NPC police force with CONCORD agent missions (patrol, destroy player etc) with above level 3s taking you into low sec.
5. ???
6. Profit!
(Über bonus mode. Remove jumpgates, add dedicated jumpships capable of jumping fleets.)
NEONOVUS
Mindstar Technology
Goonswarm Federation
#209 - 2012-10-16 13:34:09 UTC
What is wrong with making hisec safer?
Liberator 1
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#210 - 2012-10-16 13:44:50 UTC
What is it with these low-sec whiners ? Why do they think that everyone has to play the game like they do ? Seriously, it's like some kind of religious fundamentalism. People can play the game how they want, most of them don't give a toss about the WAAAH HI SEC SUCKS foaming at the mouth PvP obsessed lunacy, I sure as hell don't.
Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#211 - 2012-10-16 13:45:54 UTC
Yet you cared enough to post about how much you didn't care.

RIP Vile Rat

NEONOVUS
Mindstar Technology
Goonswarm Federation
#212 - 2012-10-16 14:01:48 UTC
Lord Zim wrote:
Yet you cared enough to post about how much you didn't care.

Human psychology.
Much like having an informed opinion.
If you have done research and thus have facts it is no longer an opinion.
It instead is a factual statement.
Arduemont
Rotten Legion
#213 - 2012-10-16 14:51:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Arduemont
Just another whine thread, nothing to see here.

Also, that's a terrible metaphor. Catering to the majority is not trying to boil a frog, slowly rolling out small changes to put their WiS vision back into the game whilst we didn't notice would be the whole "boiling a frog" scenario. As it stands they're not doing that (much to my dismay). The new bounty system only caters to carebears as much as it caters to hardcore players and PvPers.

Now a good PvPer can steal from a can in a low population high sec system and see if anyone will engage him. Free solo highsec PvP for all. Huzzah! Killright transfers means hardcore pirates who kill pods in lowsec can now fly around highsec doing the same thing, but having to wait for someone to activate their killrights. Smart suicide gankers are immune as they use disposable alts, except the freighter and hauler suicide gankers who earn enough sometimes that they deserve the risk. And now PvPers will be able to fund their PvP, by killing people! Honestly, You think they're catering to carebears there?

The Macks are still suicide gankable, don't kid yourself. Goon are doing it alot at the moment as a matter of fact. Suicide ganking Exhumers was never profitable and as such they haven't been affected, they just need to find an extra friend or two to help out.

As for dreaming of a player policed highsec; a man can dream right? Even if it is a pipe dream.

To summarise: the OP doesn't know what they're talking about.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." www.stateofwar.co.nf

Tobiaz
Spacerats
#214 - 2012-10-16 14:59:48 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
The flip side of the new idiot switch is that CCP are trying to appeal to a wider demographic, hopefully drawing them in from other MMOs where molly coddling and hand holding are the norm. Some of the current mechanics are arcane and convoluted to say the least and it's very easy to trick the uneducated into doing something unwise. Personally I hope they succeed in bringing in new players so that we can introduce them to a proper game that doesn't involve cartoon pets and proper PvP where if you die you actually lose stuff.

However if they go too far with the idjit proofing they risk alienating their current players, and the current players are the ones that have created Eves reputation as the pinnacle of what a game can be.

TL;DR Gaining new players is good, losing old players is not.

'trying to appeal to a wider demographic'

When will the game-industry ever learn that's just a recipe for unmitigated disaster?

Operation WRITE DOWN ALL THE THINGS!!!  Check out the list at http://bit.ly/wdatt Collecting and compiling all fixes and ideas for EVE. Looking for more editors!

Opertone
State War Academy
Caldari State
#215 - 2012-10-16 15:12:41 UTC
OMG?

it is a thoughtful read.

But what is the point? Do you hate carebears or do you care for them?

What happens if EVE caters to carebears?

When CCP evolves and changes the game, for me it is a lot better than if it was static, until death, then eve 2.0 and EVE 3.0 and EVE - free to play china grind franchise.

Things must change, else you grow bored sooner than you realize that you've quit logging in.

This post sums up why the 'best' work with DCM inc.

WARP DRIVE makes eve boring

really - add warping align time 300% on gun aggression and eve becomes great again

Arduemont
Rotten Legion
#216 - 2012-10-16 15:14:11 UTC
Opertone wrote:

What happens if EVE caters to carebears?

Doesn't matter, because they're not.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." www.stateofwar.co.nf

Bogus Ozran
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#217 - 2012-10-16 15:43:02 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
Tyberius Franklin wrote:
Karrl Tian wrote:
Wait, if we can set the game to automatically block suspect/criminal actions, does that mean we can go the other direction so no more "Are you sure you want to attack?" box pops up when I'm trying to suicide someone? That would be sweet.

I believe this was the other half the point of the safety switch.

Somehow I don't think it's going to be any more difficult to turn off the "safety" than it is to make those annoying pop up messages to go away.

But nobody EVER does that.....

Yeah what's with those messages rat shoots at me I target and go to shoot back and "Are you sure you want to shoot this peaceful entity" grips my s**t
BoBoZoBo
MGroup9
#218 - 2012-10-16 15:56:55 UTC
A more apt analogy would be salami tactics.

Primary Test Subject • SmackTalker Elite

Karrl Tian
Doomheim
#219 - 2012-10-16 15:57:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Karrl Tian
Eugene Kerner wrote:
this frog still living?

Got him into structure then he jumped. Sad
Josef Djugashvilis
#220 - 2012-10-16 16:04:14 UTC
Eugene Kerner wrote:
this frog still living?

Only just, boredom with the constant circular aguments in this thread have almost killed the frog.

This is not a signature.