These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page
 

Possible solution to afk miners

Author
Zack Sran
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-10-11 17:50:32 UTC
Ive been thinking alot about how you fix afk mining. An idea that i had was that on mining barges and exhumers you seperate the ore hold into an ore bay and an ore hold. The ore bay is what the mining yield goes to after a cycle, so make it like 1000m3 bigger then the perfect mining yeild for the ship. Now subtract that amount from the m3 of the current ore hold, and make that the ore hold. You have to actualy place the ore from the ore bay into the ore hold. If the ore bay gets filled the miners turn off just like they do when the ore hold gets filled now. This way solo miner only have to move ore from the bay to the hold and can still hold the same amount. Fleet miners are uneffected at all since they just take each cycle and put it in a can or orca, and afk miners cant mine more then 1 cycle.
Zyella Stormborn
Green Seekers
#2 - 2012-10-11 18:00:13 UTC
They already have similar on the other side of the equation: Asteroids. They rarely last more than a pull or two, so you have to change targets and start on the new one. Even in 0.0 I did not encounter many asteroids that lasted more than 4 or 5 cycles.

Ice fields granted are different. But making it more inconvenient for those that are not afk, just to try and counter those that are, I do not think is the answer.

~Z

There is a special Hell for people like that, Right next to child molestors, and people that talk in the theater. ~Firefly

Gianath
Gallentian Legitimate Businessmen
#3 - 2012-10-11 18:00:28 UTC
Zack Sran wrote:
Ive been thinking alot about how you fix afk mining. An idea that i had was that on mining barges and exhumers you seperate the ore hold into an ore bay and an ore hold. The ore bay is what the mining yield goes to after a cycle, so make it like 1000m3 bigger then the perfect mining yeild for the ship. Now subtract that amount from the m3 of the current ore hold, and make that the ore hold. You have to actualy place the ore from the ore bay into the ore hold. If the ore bay gets filled the miners turn off just like they do when the ore hold gets filled now. This way solo miner only have to move ore from the bay to the hold and can still hold the same amount. Fleet miners are uneffected at all since they just take each cycle and put it in a can or orca, and afk miners cant mine more then 1 cycle.


And your reasoning for making AFK mining impossible is.. ?

AFK mining isn't a problem to be corrected. It's a play style people adopt because a) They want to do other things (kids, studying, watch movies) while they mine and can't devote their full attention to the game, or b) They are running several miners and can only check in on each one for limited periods. If AFK mining isn't something that appeals to you, then leave it alone for the people that do pay for that privilege.
Dasola
New Edens Freeports
#4 - 2012-10-11 18:32:24 UTC
funny, i didnt know there is such huge problem on afk mining. asteroids are limited size and rarely last longer then couple cycles.

Ice mining is better for afk, but iceprice is low becouse of it.... So even that has been autonerfed by players.

We are Minmatar, Our ship are made of scraps, but look what our scraps can do...

Piugattuk
Lone Star Warriors
Evictus.
#5 - 2012-10-11 18:48:15 UTC
So really now no AFK, first it was bots now it AFK, when will Mrs. Kravits leave people alone...howbout we just stop them game entirely this way there's bots, no AFK, no ganking, no pirates, no blobs, no nuets in FW, no farming, no mega corps, no no no no no no no NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NON NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO....the only solution is to fly nothing but pods.
Javajunky
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2012-10-11 19:28:28 UTC
Congratulations you have trained "I don't know what I'm talking about" to Level 5.

This skill book is not bought but blessed and automatically installed by the masses who sign up to play eve. This skill book is typically found under the Industry category because so many folks chime in about "what's wrong with mining" when they've never mined in null sec or WH or on an Corp Op or flown a Rorqual or done anything besides sit in a exhumer solo and stair at a rock for 10 minutes and decide my poorly thought out idea must be worthy of a forum post.
Zhilia Mann
Tide Way Out Productions
#7 - 2012-10-11 21:26:06 UTC
Oh good. Another thread posing a solution to a non-existent problem.

This thread is now about "solving" AFK cloaking.
Stigman Zuwadza
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#8 - 2012-10-11 21:45:43 UTC
*tongue in cheek* Big smile

AFK cloaking is not the problem, prolonged cloaking has no counter and is a risk free activity, ergo it needs a counter or some associated risk.

Fly safe. o7

It's broken and it's been broken for a long time and it'll be broken for some time to come.

Kara Books
Deal with IT.
#9 - 2012-10-12 01:51:00 UTC
Zhilia Mann wrote:
Oh good. Another thread posing a solution to a non-existent problem.

This thread is now about "solving" AFK cloaking.


I was once an AFK cloaker, then I took a veldspar arrow to the knee
Darth Gustav
Sith Interstellar Tech Harvesting
#10 - 2012-10-12 02:17:54 UTC
Zack Sran wrote:
Ive been thinking alot about how you fix afk mining. An idea that i had was that on mining barges and exhumers you seperate the ore hold into an ore bay and an ore hold. The ore bay is what the mining yield goes to after a cycle, so make it like 1000m3 bigger then the perfect mining yeild for the ship. Now subtract that amount from the m3 of the current ore hold, and make that the ore hold. You have to actualy place the ore from the ore bay into the ore hold. If the ore bay gets filled the miners turn off just like they do when the ore hold gets filled now. This way solo miner only have to move ore from the bay to the hold and can still hold the same amount. Fleet miners are uneffected at all since they just take each cycle and put it in a can or orca, and afk miners cant mine more then 1 cycle.

This isn't a terrible idea but I have a better one, if you'll bear with me:

Make mining yield go into the cargo bay of exhumers.

That way cargo rigs are still beneficial, but miners absolutely have to pay attention more than once per hour.

He who trolls trolls best when he who is trolled trolls the troller. -Darth Gustav's Axiom

Rengerel en Distel
#11 - 2012-10-12 03:08:37 UTC
If they really wanted to get rid of afk mining, they'd make every roid 1 or 2 cycles large at most. They'd also make ice in small blocks. Since they haven't done that, they must not care too much if people are "afk" while mining.

With the increase in shiptoasting, the Report timer needs to be shortened.

Kara Books
Deal with IT.
#12 - 2012-10-12 04:41:10 UTC
Im really not even sure any more what we're trolling any more, OP is trolling miners, others are trolling Caldari, Im trolling Fasion criminals, where is this going?
TheSkeptic
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2012-10-12 07:51:46 UTC
Zack Sran wrote:
Ive been thinking alot about how you fix afk mining. An idea that i had was that on mining barges and exhumers you seperate the ore hold into an ore bay and an ore hold. The ore bay is what the mining yield goes to after a cycle, so make it like 1000m3 bigger then the perfect mining yeild for the ship. Now subtract that amount from the m3 of the current ore hold, and make that the ore hold. You have to actualy place the ore from the ore bay into the ore hold. If the ore bay gets filled the miners turn off just like they do when the ore hold gets filled now. This way solo miner only have to move ore from the bay to the hold and can still hold the same amount. Fleet miners are uneffected at all since they just take each cycle and put it in a can or orca, and afk miners cant mine more then 1 cycle.


While we're in the mood for throwing stupid suggestions out there, moon harvesters should operate in the above way also RollRollRollRollRollRollRollRollRollRollRoll

...

TheSkeptic
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2012-10-12 07:54:05 UTC
Stigman Zuwadza wrote:
*tongue in cheek* Big smile

AFK cloaking is not the problem, prolonged cloaking has no counter and is a risk free activity, ergo it needs a counter or some associated risk.

Fly safe. o7


Given it's all about risk vs reward (or so I keep reading) prolonged cloaking has 0 reward, thus 0 risk is acceptable.

...

Maximilien Noibzo
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#15 - 2012-10-12 12:26:28 UTC
I don't like cloaky miners neither.
Bugsy VanHalen
Society of lost Souls
#16 - 2012-10-12 15:03:17 UTC
Eliminating AFK mining would double the mineral prices again. Don't you think mineral prices have gone up enough after the drone POO nerf, and bot bans.

Mining has just been fixed. It is not perfect but is better now than it ever was.

It is not broke and does not need fixed.

AFK/semi AFK mining is not a problem. In fact all it does is keep mineral prices down. Which is something this game needs right now.

The war on bots will continue keeping them in check. If you see someone you suspect is a bot report them. If CCP does nothing about it and they are not banned, then assume they have been determined to not be a bot , regardless of what you believe.

Bugsy VanHalen
Society of lost Souls
#17 - 2012-10-12 15:17:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Bugsy VanHalen
TheSkeptic wrote:
Stigman Zuwadza wrote:
*tongue in cheek* Big smile

AFK cloaking is not the problem, prolonged cloaking has no counter and is a risk free activity, ergo it needs a counter or some associated risk.

Fly safe. o7


Given it's all about risk vs reward (or so I keep reading) prolonged cloaking has 0 reward, thus 0 risk is acceptable.

I agree, AFK cloaking, if truly done afk poses not risk or reward. Any who is cloaked while afk in your system is not threat to you.

If they are there spying, collecting intel, or waiting for someone to start a mining op their friends can hot drop on, then THEY ARE NOT AFK, in which case the mechanic is working as intended. If they are truly AFK they are no threat to you, it is all in your head.

Cloaky spys collecting intel is a valid game tactic. You want to "FIX" AFK cloaking, I say make the cloak remove the player from local. If you can not see them being on grid with them, why should you see them in local? This way AFK cloakers will will not affect activitry in a system as nobody will know they are even there. And players who actually use the cloaking mechanics as intended for collecting intel, and surprise attacks, will actually be more effective as nobody will see them coming.

It is not the AFK cloakers that are hurting you, but the non AFK cloakers you just thought were AFK. A true AFK cloaker only affects players who are excessively paranoid.
Javajunky
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2012-10-12 20:37:53 UTC
Bugsy VanHalen wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:
Stigman Zuwadza wrote:
*tongue in cheek* Big smile

AFK cloaking is not the problem, prolonged cloaking has no counter and is a risk free activity, ergo it needs a counter or some associated risk.

Fly safe. o7


Given it's all about risk vs reward (or so I keep reading) prolonged cloaking has 0 reward, thus 0 risk is acceptable.

I agree, AFK cloaking, if truly done afk poses not risk or reward. Any who is cloaked while afk in your system is not threat to you.

If they are there spying, collecting intel, or waiting for someone to start a mining op their friends can hot drop on, then THEY ARE NOT AFK, in which case the mechanic is working as intended. If they are truly AFK they are no threat to you, it is all in your head.

Cloaky spys collecting intel is a valid game tactic. You want to "FIX" AFK cloaking, I say make the cloak remove the player from local. If you can not see them being on grid with them, why should you see them in local? This way AFK cloakers will will not affect activitry in a system as nobody will know they are even there. And players who actually use the cloaking mechanics as intended for collecting intel, and surprise attacks, will actually be more effective as nobody will see them coming.

It is not the AFK cloakers that are hurting you, but the non AFK cloakers you just thought were AFK. A true AFK cloaker only affects players who are excessively paranoid.


Your arguement is flawed, in a non-friendly system cloaked / uncloaked - afk or present is simply a denial of access to resources period. You're suggestion to remove the player from local with a cloak is moronic at best, it's a noob pilot wanting to farm e-z kills, maybe people should just undock and warp to you can shoot them directly better yet why don't we log on to your client and shoot the ships for you so you have a nice killboard each month and just do nothing. Maybe CCP shoud be paying you to bless us with your presence in game a$$ clown.

If you want to disappear from local - WH space is that way ---> It is working as intended.
CorInaXeraL
Order of the Silver Dragons
Silver Dragonz
#19 - 2012-10-12 20:44:22 UTC
Kara Books wrote:
Im really not even sure any more what we're trolling any more, OP is trolling miners, others are trolling Caldari, Im trolling Fasion criminals, where is this going?


Your mom went to college.

Also, just because I can? I'm gonna post this while AFK.
Kara Books
Deal with IT.
#20 - 2012-10-12 21:47:52 UTC
CorInaXeraL wrote:
Kara Books wrote:
Im really not even sure any more what we're trolling any more, OP is trolling miners, others are trolling Caldari, Im trolling Fasion criminals, where is this going?


Your mom went to college.

Also, just because I can? I'm gonna post this while AFK.


Lets look into AFK cloaking.
123Next page