These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev blog: Stay on Target!

First post First post
Author
Trebor Daehdoow
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#401 - 2012-10-11 11:04:51 UTC
Tippia wrote:
On the one hand, we have the “lock row” — the list of ships that we have locked and which we intend to do something to — and on the other hand, we have the free-floating brackets. Right now, it looks like the two are meant to be largely the same, which is what's causing the repeated mention of duplication and redundant information. It also means a lot more screen clutter. Neither of those are good things.

This is an important point, and it's good that you emphasize it. I would go further and say that there are many substates of the free-floating brackets. For example:

* the basic bracket

* ships that I am locking

* ships that are locked

* ships that are selected in the overview

* ships that are on my watchlist

* ships that are locking me

* ships that have locked me

* ships that are doing good things to me

* ships that are doing bad things to me

Ideally, there should be several variants of the free-floating brackets, with different levels of detail (including associated info boxes, etc) -- and players should be able to configure what info is provided for each state (subject to the limitations of what info the client actually has, of course). There's no one-size-fits-all for this, and in particular, different types of fights mean different kinds of settings.

Couple of random things:

WRT those people who prefer the straight bar damage indicators, I empathise. My original thought when CSM got a preview of this blog was a stack of arcs, preserving that metaphor. But reading through this thread, and seeing the various prototypes people are coming up with, I've come to the conclusion that it has the problem of making the bracket non-symmetrical (ie: it does not easily fit into a square box, or the circular subset of it).

So I'm not so much against the circular indicator as long as it builds upon existing real-world metaphors that everyone is familar with, such as a speedometer or gas gauge. One possible way to reinforce that metaphor would be to limit the circular indicator for s/a/h to one hemisphere, like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/imzy8swdukqm364/TreborMockup2.png

This would also free up the bottom hemisphere for additional info readouts.

Finally, I would like to thank CCP karkur and the rest of the team for going to the community for feedback early in the process. I think it's been very productive, and I hope that it becomes the expected norm.

Private Citizen • CSM in recovery

CCP Explorer
C C P
C C P Alliance
#402 - 2012-10-11 11:06:37 UTC
Bagrat Skalski wrote:
The red damaged stripes.. why they are not progressing counter clockwise? I think it's more intuitive. All damage is counterclockwise. This new circle indicators are different.
Heat buildup (on the HUD) is like a pressure gauge and builds up clock-wise. Module damage (due to heat) is clock-wise. The new targeting/damage system is clock-wise. The odd one out will be the HUD itself, there damage is counter-clock-wise. Are there any other damage indicators?

Erlendur S. Thorsteinsson | Senior Development Director | EVE Online // CCP Games | @CCP_Explorer

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#403 - 2012-10-11 11:06:48 UTC
Abdiel Kavash wrote:
Bubanni wrote:
Kenpachi Viktor wrote:
John Nucleus wrote:
Thought I would throw this out there, might generate some ideas for the new damage indicator. The idea was to have a simple indicator that shows hit quality, damage and damage type.

http://i.imgur.com/RZq0p.png

Now this is what I'd like to see Shocked

I agree, this is perfect,

In the past it's basicly been impossible to see which damage type someone is shooting you with (unless it was lasers or hybrids)

Something similar to that would be perfect, design wise together with what Karkur has already made

Hmm, how is it useful to you to know what damage type you are getting shot by? It's not like you can adjust your resistances on the fly... (at least unless you have carrier support)

Adaptive hardeners, so you know when to change their cycle?

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#404 - 2012-10-11 11:08:33 UTC
CCP Explorer wrote:
Bagrat Skalski wrote:
The red damaged stripes.. why they are not progressing counter clockwise? I think it's more intuitive. All damage is counterclockwise. This new circle indicators are different.
Heat buildup (on the HUD) is like a pressure gauge and builds up clock-wise. Module damage (due to heat) is clock-wise. The new targeting/damage system is clock-wise. The odd one out will be the HUD itself, there damage is counter-clock-wise. Are there any other damage indicators?

'Intuitive' is an interesting one.

I'd have thought:

3 segments, starting at 12 o'clock with shields, then armour, then hull.

filling in red clockwise.

That's 'intuitive' for me.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

PDP11
ExoGen Foundation
New Miner's Union
#405 - 2012-10-11 11:08:53 UTC
Quote:
When someone has you targeted, the new 'yellow box' targeting icon will appear around their bracket. It will blink very subtly (or maybe not at all, we are still playing with it).

Don't do it, just don't. I hate the idea of subtle. Suggest on an initial lock that the 'yellow box' flares up bright (very unsubtle) and over time it becomes subtle (flashing, dims, whatever). The idea is being locked is in your face but if nothing further happens it gets less attention. If over time there are a series of locks you can tell who has put on the latest lock so you can know the source of the latest threat.
Tetania
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#406 - 2012-10-11 11:09:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Tetania
Nice to see more general UI work. Anything that improves the availability of information to aid player decision making is a positive change.

First up I'd like to ask people stop polluting the discussion with "think of the newbies" "which bar is shields" comments. This is pretty dumb. Think of the first time you played any game with a UI. The concept of health and resource is ingrained in gaming when the bar starts turning red segment at a time in a clockwise direction you will implicitly understand.

A couple of general comments on design now. As mentioned before please use shape where possible rather than colour. Strongly consider this for in range, out of range, locking, locked etc. Brackets could be Diamond, broken diamond, square, broken square, Circle as the state transitions from a totally neutral target to a locked agressed target. This is very quickly identified and is colour blind and partially sighted safe.

Consider projected effects and ewar as part of the design. Having a consistent presentation of information to players is a must. Brackets are a great place to have all this info.

Also consider other Overview info like speed and traversal for brackets.

And finally you have mentioned that the notification area is an area for future development but please consider bringing all of these elements together. Floating combat text has become the standard for everything from single player RPGs to MMOs since modders to WoW showed what was possible. It presents allot of detailed info in a visual and obvious form the player can analise quickly.
GeeShizzle MacCloud
#407 - 2012-10-11 11:11:12 UTC
Abdiel Kavash wrote:
Bubanni wrote:
Kenpachi Viktor wrote:
John Nucleus wrote:
Thought I would throw this out there, might generate some ideas for the new damage indicator. The idea was to have a simple indicator that shows hit quality, damage and damage type.

In the past it's basicly been impossible to see which damage type someone is shooting you with (unless it was lasers or hybrids)

Something similar to that would be perfect, design wise together with what Karkur has already made

Hmm, how is it useful to you to know what damage type you are getting shot by? It's not like you can adjust your resistances on the fly... (at least unless you have carrier support)

this thread has become "information for informations sake". its not like knowing the damage type ur being hit with will change anything barring carrier groups being able to retrofit.

these also seems to be a spreading requirement to duplicate information in various areas on the screen. if you duplicate information then people get confused, plus more screen real estate gets used literally for no real reason! have it in one place thats logical and easy to find, not scattered in 5 different places jeez.

as much as i love a 20 page thread about the merits of circles vs squares, can we have something coming out of this that aids players experiences in space like fleet ewar/ecm effects on overview contacts. itd be a great benefit to all players.
Bubanni
Corus Aerospace
#408 - 2012-10-11 11:15:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Bubanni
Abdiel Kavash wrote:
Bubanni wrote:
Kenpachi Viktor wrote:
John Nucleus wrote:

Well, it's not useless information either :)

EDIT:
lets say you were not doing pvp.. but did pve, you enter a mission and notice you take too much damage, you realize that the % of each damage type being dealt to you was different than you thought... you can now go back and adjust your resistances to match the damage from the mission

at the moment people who are new to the game has to rely on information from third party sites about damage types and % from different rats, by adding this feature people can figure it out for themselves

It will also be easier to identify which rats to kill first because your resistances is worst vs that rat (if mission has multiple damage types)

Also, do note I don't pve, havn't done so in years now (pvp for lyfe) but my point being, the information is not useless

Supercap nerf - change ewar immunity https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=194759 Module activation delay! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1180934

Willie Horton
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#409 - 2012-10-11 11:20:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Willie Horton
Is there any chance to give option to players to choose from few UI templates?

For example this what you are making now to be advanced graphic version of UI,and what we are we using now to be lets say "compact" version.

I am not fan of cosmetic things like this UI looks,I like pure simple boxes and numbers that give me info what I need.I dont see what benefit I get from slick UI looks.It is nice to see ,but game wise beside nice cosmetic look it is not changing any.

Dont get me wrong ,but for example only sub based MMO that is still there is WoW.They dont have any problem giving players option to make UI as they like and it is like that for years .I dont say you need to do same ,but at least give us option so we can decide what is better for us.

UI changes are always pain ,I know you cant make all people happy ,still giving players more options is nice.For me as I said more graphic is something I dont like ,but that is personal so I cant say my choice is best for others.Saying that maybe it would be nice not to force players to use just one option as mandatory.

PS nice work ,I hope you would use all feedback when you make final version.
GeeShizzle MacCloud
#410 - 2012-10-11 11:20:51 UTC
Bubanni wrote:

maybe not for you Bubanni, but most people in eve dont go around in slowcat carrier groups or have configured carriers on hotdrops to allow on the fly module switching.

itd be a very niche thing for a very select group of people, people who should be able to tell by damage notifications if someones hitting their resist hole or having their shots be pinged off their highest effective tank profile.
Radius Prime
Tax Evading Ass.
#411 - 2012-10-11 11:22:19 UTC
Will there be an option to return to the old interface like with windows 8... or maybe not :P?

On a serious note like the squares on top. Thing with curved objects is they can deceive you when they display information.

Reopen the EVE gate so we can invade Serenity. Goons can go first.

Beat General
Doomheim
#412 - 2012-10-11 11:25:18 UTC
Looks good.

Very nice!

The only thing I want to suggest is to make the round shield and armor indicators to go in the same direction.

So it would spin counter clockwise until it reaches zero!
CCP Explorer
C C P
C C P Alliance
#413 - 2012-10-11 11:25:24 UTC
Maria Kitiare wrote:
Most of your players read from left to right, so if You insist on giving us those circles, please make it so shield is on the left side, armor on the right and hull on the bottom. This will also make it more in line with the current mod timer animation that starts in the bottom and moves around..
The day starts at midnight, at 12 o'clock, which is at the top of the clock, and the day progresses clock-wise. The targeting animation starts at "12 o'clock" and progresses clock-wise, same for the damage (shields starts at "12 o'clock"). Your mod timer animation observation is correct, it progresses clock-wise but starts at "6 o'clock"; perhaps that should be changed to start at "12 o'clock" as well. But that's for CCP karkur and Team Pony Express to think about if and how they want to tackle, not me. Big smile

Erlendur S. Thorsteinsson | Senior Development Director | EVE Online // CCP Games | @CCP_Explorer

Bubanni
Corus Aerospace
#414 - 2012-10-11 11:28:59 UTC
GeeShizzle MacCloud wrote:
Bubanni wrote:

maybe not for you Bubanni, but most people in eve dont go around in slowcat carrier groups or have configured carriers on hotdrops to allow on the fly module switching.

itd be a very niche thing for a very select group of people, people who should be able to tell by damage notifications if someones hitting their resist hole or having their shots be pinged off their highest effective tank profile.

Look at my edit above, just because you can't see a use for it, doesn't mean someone else out there wont like the information, what harm would it do to have a subtle information about the damage type being dealt to you?

I did not even consider the slowcats when I thought it was a awesome thing to see. I was thinking about newbies out there, about people who fly around with damage types being dealt by rats in their bio :)

It's not like it would be a disadvantage to you in pvp or a huge advantage for that matter, but that doesn't mean it's not useful for something else

Supercap nerf - change ewar immunity https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=194759 Module activation delay! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1180934

CCP Explorer
C C P
C C P Alliance
#415 - 2012-10-11 11:31:19 UTC
CCP Punkturis wrote:
EvilweaselFinance wrote:
please make sure this adds no extra server calls or data requests from the server
CCP Atlas alt spotted!!!!!! Blink
And epically then CCP Atlas published an internal tech devblog today on how to monitor client calls. Big smile

Bubanni
Corus Aerospace
#416 - 2012-10-11 11:31:44 UTC
CCP Explorer wrote:
Maria Kitiare wrote:
Most of your players read from left to right, so if You insist on giving us those circles, please make it so shield is on the left side, armor on the right and hull on the bottom. This will also make it more in line with the current mod timer animation that starts in the bottom and moves around..
The day starts at midnight, at 12 o'clock, which is at the top of the clock, and the day progresses clock-wise. The targeting animation starts at "12 o'clock" and progresses clock-wise, same for the damage (shields starts at "12 o'clock"). Your mod timer animation observation is correct, it progresses clock-wise but starts at "6 o'clock"; perhaps that should be changed to start at "12 o'clock" as well. But that's for CCP karkur and Team Pony Express to think about if and how they want to tackle, not me. Big smile

I gotta agree with Maria though, regardless of when the day starts :D

shields on left, armor on right, hull at bottom,

Terrorfrodo
Interbus Universal
#417 - 2012-10-11 11:35:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Terrorfrodo
The new UI looks nice. The functionality is of limited usefulness, though.

Whether a ship is in targeting range is not an important information in most ships and in most situations. Usually everyone will be in targeting range. But not in optimal range of our weapons or modules. The only regular exception is when you fly an interceptor or similar. So the more useful info would be: Is the target in optimal range? Is it within optimal+falloff?

Which ship does the most damage to me is more useful, but not much. If I fight an Ares, a Hurricane and a Drake, I don't need the UI tell me who hurts me most. The more useful info here would really be: Does this ship hurt me as much as it could? Are my evasion maneuvers working?

The dev blog recognizes how awful and useless the damage notifications are. Why don't you replace them with something else?
-make a new notification area
-messages are displayed in several rows so we cannot only see the last one
-filters can be applied to reduce the number of messages (filter out message about drones etc)
-shorten the messages to the essentials: "Name | severity of hit | damage amount" Cut the useless filler text so we can always see at first glance what's happening!

Abdiel Kavash wrote:

You can save cap by activating only the hardeners you need, and you can choose to overheat just the needed hardeners so you can overheat for longer periods before burning out.

Bubanni
Corus Aerospace
#418 - 2012-10-11 11:39:42 UTC
Terrorfrodo wrote:

Abdiel Kavash wrote:

You can save cap by activating only the hardeners you need, and you can choose to overheat just the needed hardeners so you can overheat for longer periods before burning out.

Good example :D

Louise deGuerre
Public Funded War Targets
#419 - 2012-10-11 11:43:58 UTC
While I can't say the devblog has excited me much there are tons of excellent suggestions in these comments.
I hope CCP is taking notes.
Tetania
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#420 - 2012-10-11 11:46:07 UTC
The tactical overlay already provides for optimal and falloff range judgement in a better way than brackets ever could. There is of course no reason lock range couldn't be dealt with there too.

A good UI design won't duplicate but will present information in most obvious and easily assimilated way possible.