These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

help with fitting a thorax for level 2's?

First post
Author
Tykan
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2011-10-17 10:33:03 UTC
hey guys, need some help here. right now i have
250mm railgun I
250mm railgun I
250mm railgun I
250mm railgun I
150mm railgun I

cap recharger I
cap recharger I
10mn afterburner I

power diagnostic system I
armor hardener I
medium armor repairer I

4x hammerheads

im trying to do http://eve-survival.org/wikka.php?wakka=TechnologicalSecrets2 and first try i lost all 4 drones to missiles. now ive been warping in and out and using iridium on the 4 250mm i can take out about 4-6 ships before i need to warp out.

ive seen a lot of people recommend antimatter, but that drops the optimal range to 15km, and the angular velocity of pirates is greater than tracking speed a lot of the time at that range... so im not sure how to effectively use that range ammo

money and skill points arent really an issue.... any advice?
Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#2 - 2011-10-17 10:45:05 UTC
Damage dealt: Exp

Lose the power diagnostic systems.
You have a gigantic explosive resistance gap. So fit an explosive armor hardener and a damage control. Maybe an energized adaptive nano membrame and/or a 1600mm plate,
Use smaller guns like dual 150mm if needed. Guns are a secondary weapon in this case. Bring antimatter and iridium ammo. Switch to antimatter when you get in range.
A Vexor is easier for mission as you can bring both light and medium drones. You should have no problems hitting the cruisers, use the light drones to take out the frigates.

Keno Skir
#3 - 2011-10-17 11:04:39 UTC
Google search each mission before you start and use the recomended specific armor hardeners for a much improved tank. If you get hold of me in game and we're close i'll come along on the mission and rep you while you test your fitting.
Jenn Makanen
Doomheim
#4 - 2011-10-17 12:00:55 UTC
Also, make sure you have aggro, before you release your drones to kill stuff. Or they'll be targeted and shot down. You can take more damage than they can.
Frank Millar
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2011-10-17 17:04:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Frank Millar
I think I used something like this:

High: 5x Dual 150's with Antimatter
Mid: AB and 2x Cap Recharger
Low: Medium Armor Repper and 4x Mission Specific Hardeners (be it Kinetic, Thermal, Explosive or EM)

3x Medium CCC for Rigs.

5x Hammerhead Drones

Keep moving, get the Drones skill to 5 (and towards T2 Drones), and work your way towards a T2 tank, which is a relatively short train, if I remember correctly.
Velicitia
XS Tech
#6 - 2011-10-17 17:59:27 UTC
Tykan wrote:
hey guys, need some help here. right now i have
250mm railgun I
250mm railgun I
250mm railgun I
250mm railgun I
150mm railgun I

cap recharger I
cap recharger I
10mn afterburner I

armor hardener I
medium armor repairer I

4x hammerheads

im trying to do http://eve-survival.org/wikka.php?wakka=TechnologicalSecrets2 and first try i lost all 4 drones to missiles. now ive been warping in and out and using iridium on the 4 250mm i can take out about 4-6 ships before i need to warp out.

ive seen a lot of people recommend antimatter, but that drops the optimal range to 15km, and the angular velocity of pirates is greater than tracking speed a lot of the time at that range... so im not sure how to effectively use that range ammo

money and skill points arent really an issue.... any advice?

first, get all the guns the same. A L2 mission is primarily Frigs/dessies, with a cruisers from time to time ... MAAAYBE a BC as the "really big, bad guy" on some of the missions.

So, medium guns will work, but you'll be relying on drones to hit the frigs most of the time. You can probably get away with using the "Dual 125" (or is it 150) mm rails. Even though they're "Medium" weapons, they track small targets pretty effectively. The "smaller" medium rails will also be able to track the ships pretty well.

Once you settle on the weapon type, get the named variants (show info -> variations tab) , this'll let you see the various gun variations, and there's a compare button that'll let you view the stats (PG/CPU/damage Modifier/etc). Get the "best" guns that you can -- generally these will be the guns with the Meta Level of 3 or 4 (the T2 and Officer/Faction guns are Meta 5+). Antimatter is king for DPS (well, for hybrids anyway), and at range, you should be able to track the slower guys fine. If you're having trouble, fit a webber.

Mids are OK, though you might get more stable with the higher meta guns...

Lows are pretty bad, TBH ... you shouldn't need all the PDS. If you don't have the PG or cap skills, then I'd recommend getting those to at least level 2/3 so you can pull off some of the PDS and replace them with membranes (I like the N-type) for some passive resists, and/or hardeners. IIRC, there's not a rainbow hardener (i.e. covers em/kin/therm/ex damage), so you'll be looking to get Explosive ones (membranes you can use the "adaptive" ones to get resists across all damage types).

generally, the tanks I've used are DCU II, Armour Repairer, N-Type (or T2) Adaptive Nano Membrane, and then as many damage-specific membranes (or hardeners) that I can fit, DPS is usually "good enough" to not warrant the damage mods in the lows (at least for missioning)

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

David Grogan
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2011-10-17 21:55:00 UTC  |  Edited by: David Grogan
honestly use a vexor for missions its far superior

low sp vexor fit

high slots

3x 200mm rails (meta 3 or t2) (use dual 150mm if u cant fit the 200mm rails)
1x drone link augmentor

mid slots

2x cap rechargers (meta 4 or t2)
1x afterburner (meta 2 or t2)

low slots
1x Medium armor repper (meta 4 or t2)
2x N-type or t2 energized adaptive nano membrane
1x Damage control (meta 3 or t2)

rig slots (ask a corp mate to fit them for u if u cant fit them yourself) - to fit armor rigs train jury rigging to 3 then armor rigging to at least 1 to fit but ideally 4 to reduce the drawback effects

1x Medium Explosive armor pump 1
2x Medium Trimark armor pump 1

drones
5x medium drones (drone type depends on the rats you will be shooting) - use to kill cruisers and bigger
10x small drones (drone type depends on the rats you will be shooting) - use to kill frigs

then warp into mission (do not deploy drones until u have pulled full aggro aka all npcs in range are red boxing you)

Everytime you buy something that says "made in china" you are helping the rising unemployment in your own country unless you are from china, Buy locally produced goods and help create more jobs.

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#8 - 2011-10-18 00:44:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
I'm currently doing level 2 missions in a tech 1 fitted destroyer (arty Thrasher) with my level 3 ship and gunnery skills, purely for fun, so you shouldn't have any problems in any cruiser. I don't even worry about triggers.

I would recommend though that you avoid fitting your ship with the expectation of facing mostly cruisers in a level 2 mission, and instead fit expecting mostly frigates.

So even though a Throax is a cruiser, use small-sized weapons not medium-sized. You'll be disappointed with mediums.

I've only encountered one level 2 mission where I had to face a single group of 6-8 cruisers. They really messed-up my destroyer until I figured out a tactic to deal with them. It is the only level 2 mission I've encountered where I figure a cruiser with medium weapons really is preferred.
Cuchulain Spartan
Unlimited 2.0
Infinite Pew
#9 - 2011-10-19 16:39:46 UTC
For new players to missions the whole concept around their ship fit should be to perma run a tank imo.

On either a vexor or a rax fit a medium repper in your low slot

Then fit on some resistance based on the mission type e.g 2 hardeners. Dont fit a damage control on a mission boat.

Fit 3 x capacitior control rigs to the ship

Fill up the remaining low/mid slots with cap recharge mods unti you are cap stable with the repper running permanently.

Once you are tank cap stable fill up the rest of your slots with whatever you want.

Applying the above logic will work for fitting any active tank for any lvl mission

Ex Thorax

HI Slots:
What ever you want

Mid Slots:
Cap recharger x 3

Low Slots:
Medium repper
2 x mission specific resis
capacitor power relay x 2

Rigs
3 x medium capacitor control circuit

Use the above fit and strip out any cap recharge you dont need from your mid/low. You can add more resis, webs or whatever just make sure you can perma run that repper.

Warp in to a mission, drop a can, orbit it at 10km, hit your agro triggers, let them come to you and kill them as they get in range.
Satav
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2011-10-19 17:51:10 UTC
hmm,

you might have better luck with a vexor with lvl 2's buddy. would be faster.

What kind of drone skill do you have?

______________________________________________________________________________________

"Your Erebus is docked? How did that happen?" "It took a lot of pushing and grease....."
Mekhana
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2011-10-19 20:17:19 UTC
There are some missions with elite frigates. You want to use light drones for those, preferably T2.

Vide longe er eros di Luminaire VII, uni canse pra krage e determiniex! Sange por Sange! Descanse bravex eros, mie freires. Mortir por vostre Liberete, farmilie, ide e amis. lons Proviste sen mort! Luminaire liber mas! 

Sir Substance
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2011-10-20 02:01:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Sir Substance
Keno Skir wrote:
Google search each mission before you start and use the recomended specific armor hardeners for a much improved tank. If you get hold of me in game and we're close i'll come along on the mission and rep you while you test your fitting.

If you do this you will spend your whole life swapping hardeners in and out. It gets boring fast. Skill for and create omnitanks. Thios has the added benefit of letting you transition into wormholes or incursions with greater ease, since they need omnitanks.

The beatings will continue until posting improves. -Magnus Cortex

Official Eve Online changelist: Togglable PvP. - Jordanna Bauer

Toshiro GreyHawk
#13 - 2011-10-20 07:45:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Toshiro GreyHawk
Well ... apologies for not being able to give a better post ... but I haven't flown my Thorax in a very long time ...

For myself ... what I prefer to do - is to fit the biggest guns I can, fit a good afterburner, then engage the rats from range, getting their aggro and kiting them. I use that tactic pretty much as often as it will work and it works fairly well most of the time.

The big guns give me range to hit the enemy when they can't hit back.

Also - for those missions where I do run into their cruisers - it really helps having bigger guns ...

I carry 3 types of charges for rails - Antimatter for close range, Iridium for medium and Iron for long.

If the rats are hitting me - I'm not far enough away from them.

Now to do that I've trained Long Range Targeting and anything else I could to improve the tracking of my guns and my ability to hit the smaller targets. I also tend to carry Target Painters.

In addition to that - by kiting the rats - you are shooting back over your stern at them - thus they are at near zero deflection so tracking isn't an issue. Add in the target painter and the drones and ... frigates are no problem to my cruisers.

Now - one problem the Gallente ships have seemed to have to me ... is a lack of PG to do what I wanted. So ... I have used rigs on occasion to increase the power grid.

One problem with kiting the rats the way I do - is that it draws out the mission. If you're using Iron to kill the rats ... it is going to take longer - so you want to think about that.

If you're problem is - that you're having to warp out - you might want to engage from longer range.

If your problem is that the mission is taking to long - then you might want to decrease the range.

One thing about using the bigger guns though - is that they will give you greater range at which to use your Antimatter charges ... Your big problem with big guns - is if you get dumped into a mess - you have to AB your way clear of them before your guns become effective.

What I remember about the Dual 150 vs. 250mm's was that I liked the killing power of the 250's much, much better. But that was a long time ago ... so ... *shrug*

Of course ... you could possibly fit the 200's as a compromise.

*shrug*

Keno Skir
#14 - 2011-10-20 11:44:11 UTC
Sir Substance wrote:
Keno Skir wrote:

If you do this you will spend your whole life swapping hardeners in and out. It gets boring fast. Skill for and create omnitanks. Thios has the added benefit of letting you transition into wormholes or incursions with greater ease, since they need omnitanks.

It makes more sense to find out what you're going to be fighting and harden specific damage types. Most missions only deal a limited range of damage. In a wormhole and PVP it's obviously different, but for a mission boat omnitanks are usually half wasted energy especially the early level missions.

It takes no more time to swap out a hardener than it does to put ammo in your hold, always know what you're facing and work with that knowledge in mind.
Sir Substance
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2011-10-20 12:04:17 UTC
Keno Skir wrote:
Sir Substance wrote:
Keno Skir wrote:

It makes more sense to find out what you're going to be fighting and harden specific damage types. Most missions only deal a limited range of damage. In a wormhole and PVP it's obviously different, but for a mission boat omnitanks are usually half wasted energy especially the early level missions.

It takes no more time to swap out a hardener than it does to put ammo in your hold, always know what you're facing and work with that knowledge in mind.

All missions can be tanked with an omnitank, and unless you are terrible it will make little difference to your damage output.

Keno Skir
#16 - 2011-10-20 13:50:58 UTC
Then whats the role of specific hardeners?
David Grogan
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2011-10-20 16:14:47 UTC
Cuchulain Spartan wrote:
For new players to missions the whole concept around their ship fit should be to perma run a tank imo.

On either a vexor or a rax fit a medium repper in your low slot

Then fit on some resistance based on the mission type e.g 2 hardeners. Dont fit a damage control on a mission boat.

i don't agree with you, a damage control II has saved my ass a few times while doing missions

Everytime you buy something that says "made in china" you are helping the rising unemployment in your own country unless you are from china, Buy locally produced goods and help create more jobs.

Sir Substance
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#18 - 2011-10-21 00:59:08 UTC
Keno Skir wrote:
Then whats the role of specific hardeners?

What's the role of omni-ECCM's? There are lots of modules with no purpose, thats a terrible argument.

You can sometimes achieve a better omnitank by patching specific weaknesses though. Don't get me wrong, faffing around with specific hardeners to create custom tanks per mission works. It's just not necessary.

Toshiro GreyHawk
#19 - 2011-10-21 10:04:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Toshiro GreyHawk
Different people use different tactics and those tactics can make the bit you gain from using a dedicated module as opposed to an omni module matter. If you Kite the rats as opposed to diving in and brawling with them - then the details of your tank make much less difference. Of course ... your missions may take longer to complete as well ...

Mostly ... I use Omni modules because I'm lazy ... (and that is the reason) ... though I have on occasion set up fits what use specific ones - for the specific purpose of learning how they worked. Then I went back to the omni modules ... because I was lazy ... And as to ammo ... I just put enough in my hold to last several missions so I don't have to fool with that either.

So - if you're warping out because you're brawling and getting all shot up trying to get the mission over faster - then every little thing you do can help. Or ... if you're warping out for any other reason ...

If you're just Kiting the rats because it's safer and you're not in that hell bent rush to get to Level IV's ... then it makes much less difference.

Also - you often get a mission where there is no symbol for the rats in the Agents Mission Briefing - this usually means mercenaries - which can be of multiple ship types but, unless you've read some mission notes on that mission - can be all of some unknown type. Here an omni tank will let you be prepared for whatever they are.

In favor of the rat specific modules - is when you enter in on a mission that you are not familiar with - where the rats throw something unexpected at you and ... things turn rapidly to **** ... There the extra bit you get from specific modules might save your ass. Same thing goes for DCU's.

*shrug*

Jose Black
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#20 - 2011-10-21 14:50:02 UTC
Generally you should look for meta 4 or at least 3 named modules instead of the plain meta 0 tech 1 ones you use. They have improved performance and lower fitting requirements.

I used a Rax for quite some time when I was new to lvl 2 missions. I was pretty impressed by the range of the 250's so I thought why not improve their range even further and just snipe everything. Thus I skilled for tracking computers and put 2 into the medium slots besides an afterburner to be able to keep the range if needed.

Since the 250's need a lot of powergrid I had pretty much all lows full with reactor control units and power diagnostics. For tanking I only had a medium armor repairer. A tech 2 one definitely helps. If the warpin was close to the targets I had to turn the afterburner on and gain range quickly while running the repairer. However the cap always lasted until I was out of their range.

Usually tho I warped in, activated guns and blew everything to pieces without even moving. If some lone frigate actually had underrun my tracking I fed it to my drones.

With improving fitting skills I replaced more and more reactor controls with power diagnostics at first and finally a energized adaptive plating for more resists. That way and also with more gunnery support skills I could get closer, use heavier ammunition and shorten the time to complete missions.

I used the Vexor mainly in (low sec) asteroid belts where targets generally close in using microwarpdrives so sniping isn't much of an option. Much later I found it to be a fun and versatile vessel for lvl 3 missions, as well as the Thorax with the fit mentioned above. However I wouldn't want to attempt a lvl 3 blockade in a Throax.

PS: All missions were in Angel Cartel space.
12Next page