These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New Dev Blog: ME SQUASH BUG: Improving the EVE experience

First post
Author
Miraqu
Kneipenterroristen.
#21 - 2011-10-17 15:09:55 UTC
The current SiSi build (304168) works without issues on wine 1.3.30. So no need to worry
Dalton Vanadis
Imperium Technologies
Sigma Grindset
#22 - 2011-10-17 15:10:39 UTC
Thanks guys, keep up the hard work!
Iosue
Black Sky Hipsters
#23 - 2011-10-17 15:12:38 UTC
good job guys, glad to see the focus on bug fixes.

keep the dev blogs coming.
M1AU
Zappenduster Inc.
#24 - 2011-10-17 15:13:12 UTC
CCP Redundancy wrote:
M1AU wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Standard libraries sounds good, it's probably just working ootb. Guess we have to wait for tomorrow. (Setting long skill to be trained.)

If you've been on SISI in the last week or so, then you will have been running with this.

Miraqu wrote:
The current SiSi build (304168) works without issues on wine 1.3.30. So no need to worry

Thanks, I guess that answers my question very well.
CCP Redundancy
C C P
C C P Alliance
#25 - 2011-10-17 15:19:10 UTC
Ronan Teisdari wrote:
What is defined as a 'crash' ?

Does that include when clients stop responding, but never close?

Does that include when internet connection drops causing the client to stop receiving packets?

What events will cause the crash report to actually be filed?

(in reverse order)

Technically speaking, unhandled C++ exceptions cause this to trigger. This would probably normally be when the client closes and it asks you if you want to upload the information and check for fixes. I've left the normal windows error reporting in case there is an issue with our stuff.

If the internet drops, no crash information uploads can happen.

When clients stop responding but don't close, that's probably a deadlock or an infinite loop. Neither of these counts as a crash, even if they are sucky.

Zoe Alarhun
The Proactive Reappropriation Corporation
#26 - 2011-10-17 15:25:15 UTC
I like it. Thumbs up CCP.
Pattern Clarc
Citeregis
#27 - 2011-10-17 15:26:54 UTC
Good blog.

I love how your reaction that we didn't have this already mirrored mine. XD

Ex CSM member & Designer of the Tornado. Gallente - Pilot satisfaction

Solo Drakban
Goosefleet
Gooseflock Featheration
#28 - 2011-10-17 15:33:04 UTC
I assume that the uploading of this crash data will be optional? The applications you hold up as examples are opt-in for crash reporting. They do not automatically upload crash information without consent. In fact they bring up nice dialogue boxes on crashing that ask you if they can send the information and include a form for you to give more information on what you were doing when the crash occurred and allow you to review the information that's being sent.

Also, a lot of these do include information not directly related to the application such as applications running at the same time. I know you stated in the blog that this isn't the case for the CCP's collection but give the track record of coding "incidents" (boot.ini anybody?) I'd just like to re-confirm that you've checked whatever library it is you're using to make sure that you actually unset all the flags you meant to.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#29 - 2011-10-17 15:36:09 UTC
I don't know…

Too few charts — I'm not convinced… P

Anyway, since I use the Mac client, I'm a bit curious as to whether this will only catch EVE-specific crashes or whether it will be able to report cider-related ones as well (or, worse, I'd imagine, ones where EVE and cider collude to make my life miserable)?
CCP Redundancy
C C P
C C P Alliance
#30 - 2011-10-17 15:41:04 UTC
Tippia wrote:
I'm a bit curious as to whether this will only catch EVE-specific crashes or whether it will be able to report cider-related ones as well (or, worse, I'd imagine, ones where EVE and cider collude to make my life miserable)?

I haven't been able to test it with a cider crash, but we managed to get a dump from an artificially manufactured crash in our own code.
Orisa Medeem
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#31 - 2011-10-17 15:46:28 UTC
While running the game on Sisi there is that extra "CCP Log Server" tool running.

When the crash dump upload is triggered it could check if that log server was running and include more information from those logs. It would probably help finding the problem faster if the crash happened in the test server.

:sand:  over  :awesome:

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#32 - 2011-10-17 15:49:42 UTC
Solo Drakban wrote:
I assume that the uploading of this crash data will be optional? The applications you hold up as examples are opt-in for crash reporting. They do not automatically upload crash information without consent. In fact they bring up nice dialogue boxes on crashing that ask you if they can send the information and include a form for you to give more information on what you were doing when the crash occurred and allow you to review the information that's being sent.

Also, a lot of these do include information not directly related to the application such as applications running at the same time. I know you stated in the blog that this isn't the case for the CCP's collection but give the track record of coding "incidents" (boot.ini anybody?) I'd just like to re-confirm that you've checked whatever library it is you're using to make sure that you actually unset all the flags you meant to.

From a post in above yours.

Quote:
Technically speaking, unhandled C++ exceptions cause this to trigger. This would probably normally be when the client closes and it asks you if you want to upload the information and check for fixes. I've left the normal windows error reporting in case there is an issue with our stuff.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Weaselior
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#33 - 2011-10-17 15:50:56 UTC
I would also like to know if this is opt-in or mandatory.

Head of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal Pubbie Management and Exploitation Division.

Weaselior
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#34 - 2011-10-17 15:51:56 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:

That refers to the standard Windows thing, and is unclear on the CCP error reporting.

Head of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal Pubbie Management and Exploitation Division.

Dr Mercy
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#35 - 2011-10-17 15:52:37 UTC
Surprised you didn't have this tech already, but it's good that it's in at last.

Make isk with PI: http://failheap-challenge.com/showthread.php?1207-What-to-do-PI-Processor-only-planets

Solo Drakban
Goosefleet
Gooseflock Featheration
#36 - 2011-10-17 15:53:06 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:

This does not explicitly state that this is for EVE crash reporting, rather than Windows error reporting or 'this is normally what happens during a crash, but we've turned off the dialogue'.

CCP Redundancy
C C P
C C P Alliance
#37 - 2011-10-17 15:54:11 UTC
Weaselior wrote:
That refers to the standard Windows thing, and is unclear on the CCP error reporting.

It's currently mandatory, but we'll patch it asap to make it optional.
Weaselior
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#38 - 2011-10-17 16:01:39 UTC
CCP Redundancy wrote:
Weaselior wrote:

I appreciate that, thanks.

ShipSpinner
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#39 - 2011-10-17 16:02:53 UTC
CCP Redundancy wrote:

This, right here, is an example of the responsiveness and willingness to listen we've been waiting for from CCP for a very long time. I wanted to highlight it because I think that this should be pointed out, internally, as the kind of response the players like to see. You took an issue that could have become a source of much angst and rage (most of it admittedly irrational), acknowledged it, and immediately set out on fixing it. The only possible way this could have been a better dev response is if the opt-in was ready by tomorrow's patch, but that would be beyond unreasonable.

This is the kind of behavior that gives us faith in Hilmar's statement. Keep it up.
Solo Drakban
Goosefleet
Gooseflock Featheration
#40 - 2011-10-17 16:04:40 UTC
CCP Redundancy wrote:
Weaselior wrote:

Thanks, it's good to hear that it will be optional, but there is still a little bit of ambiguity I'd like clarified: "We'll release with it being mandatory then patch it as some undetermined later date"? Or "we'll get this patched prior to the release"?