These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

My mining breatheren, a heartfelt message

First post
Author
Cpt Roghie
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2012-10-03 14:00:33 UTC
I like mining, but I honestly think you're either trolling hard or just stupid. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say trolling.

This could be fun.

Josef Djugashvilis
#22 - 2012-10-03 16:34:05 UTC
Clystan wrote:
"viscous pod pilots" lol

Perhaps he meant 'thick pod pilots'Smile

This is not a signature.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#23 - 2012-10-03 16:37:48 UTC  |  Edited by: baltec1
Why do the "defenders of mining" seem intent upon wiping out their own profits and bringing about an army of untoughable bots that will destroy their profession all while limiting their choice of 6 ships to just one king of the barges?
Imports Plus
Doomheim
#24 - 2012-10-03 16:41:02 UTC
In every other MMO 'gathering' is treated as a minor side profession, like a necessary evil to feed a primary profession such as crafting.

Where Eve Online has gone wrong, and gone very wrong for 9 years in treating Mining as a primary profession, like; something you do all day long.

Mining needs to be totally overhauled to something you do for like an hour each day, then move on to other things like crafting.

Make vastly diminishing returns after mining for one hour. This needs to happen now CCP, it will cure all your bot problems.
Josef Djugashvilis
#25 - 2012-10-03 16:50:49 UTC
Imports Plus wrote:
In every other MMO 'gathering' is treated as a minor side profession, like a necessary evil to feed a primary profession such as crafting.

Where Eve Online has gone wrong, and gone very wrong for 9 years in treating Mining as a primary profession, like; something you do all day long.

Mining needs to be totally overhauled to something you do for like an hour each day, then move on to other things like crafting.

Make vastly diminishing returns after mining for one hour. This needs to happen now CCP, it will cure all your bot problems.

Sandbox...

Want to mine all day long? Then do so.

Don't want to mine? Then don't.

This is not a signature.

Imports Plus
Doomheim
#26 - 2012-10-03 17:02:53 UTC
Josef Djugashvilis wrote:
Imports Plus wrote:

Sandbox...

Botting. No miner sits all day long staring at their crystals cycling. They 'set it and forget it'. They walk away and do something else, they set their miners going at work, they set their miners going and go out to a movie.

a complete mining overhaul to something that only needs to be done for like an hour then has vastly diminishing returns fixes the whole side profession.
Imports Plus
Doomheim
#27 - 2012-10-03 17:05:04 UTC
The vehemence with which miners defend their afk-ability only strengthens the need for mining to be completely redone.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#28 - 2012-10-03 17:09:30 UTC
Imports Plus wrote:
The vehemence with which miners defend their afk-ability only strengthens the need for mining to be completely redone.

Unlike other MMOs, mining in EVE can be a primary activity and it was fast becoming one untill the barge buff. I will fight tooth and nail for miners to be a worth while job in EVE. Even against miners intent upon total safety.
Sarah Schneider
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#29 - 2012-10-03 17:09:36 UTC
Yes CCP! Give miners MORE YIELD! MORE TANK! MORE ROCKS IN HISEC + INFINITE ORES! LEGALIZE BOTS! Do eeet CCP!!!

"I'd rather have other players get shot by other players than not interacting with others" -CCP Soundwave

Destiny Corrupted
Deadly Viper Kitten Mitten Sewing Company
#30 - 2012-10-03 17:17:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Destiny Corrupted
While this thread is a very nicely done troll, I do have to comment on that botting thing, and that is to say that most people (who don't bot) don't have any idea just how bad it is. I'm not even talking about the hardcore ISK-peddling foreigners who run dozen-strong exhumer outfits. I do frequent infils of bear corporations for profit and wardec fun, and it's amazing how many three-month-olds end up bragging about having their accounts suck rocks while they're at work/playing CoD etc. CEOs usually brag the loudest, to impress the trial accounters with their wallets.

A lot of them just ask google for the needed software. Some will even get punished, because CCP needs to put out press releases after all. But the majority are never touched. And it's so easy, too. With even a bit of computer knowledge, you can set up a proxy going through a reliable host for like five bucks a month, and spend maybe two hours writing your own scripts with AHK or something. If I decided to sell out my soul tomorrow, I'd have a bot running within an hour, no questions asked. I'd never get caught, too. And even if I did, I'd probably be safe on principle. The amount of bots running is that vast, and that's a lot of subscription money that CCP wouldn't dare endanger.

I wrote some true EVE stories! And no, they're not of the generic "my 0.0 alliance had lots of 0.0 fleets and took a lot of 0.0 space" sort. Check them out here:

https://truestories.eveonline.com/users/2074-destiny-corrupted

Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#31 - 2012-10-03 17:20:58 UTC
T'Laar Bok wrote:
if I didn't have to stockpile or sell my mins at inflated prices to make sure I can cover ship losses ships would be a lot cheaper.

PvPers who love blowing up miners cant seem to understand the logic of that.

To be honest I don't care what the prices are, I'll still blow you up.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Josef Djugashvilis
#32 - 2012-10-03 17:33:59 UTC
Destiny Corrupted wrote:
While this thread is a very nicely done troll, I do have to comment on that botting thing, and that is to say that most people (who don't bot) don't have any idea just how bad it is. I'm not even talking about the hardcore ISK-peddling foreigners who run dozen-strong exhumer outfits. I do frequent infils of bear corporations for profit and wardec fun, and it's amazing how many three-month-olds end up bragging about having their accounts suck rocks while they're at work/playing CoD etc. CEOs usually brag the loudest, to impress the trial accounters with their wallets.

A lot of them just ask google for the needed software. Some will even get punished, because CCP needs to put out press releases after all. But the majority are never touched. And it's so easy, too. With even a bit of computer knowledge, you can set up a proxy going through a reliable host for like five bucks a month, and spend maybe two hours writing your own scripts with AHK or something. If I decided to sell out my soul tomorrow, I'd have a bot running within an hour, no questions asked. I'd never get caught, too. And even if I did, I'd probably be safe on principle. The amount of bots running is that vast, and that's a lot of subscription money that CCP wouldn't dare endanger.

Define 'foreigners' in terms of Eve please.

American, Irish, English, French?

This is not a signature.

Robert De'Arneth
#33 - 2012-10-03 17:46:59 UTC
Imports Plus wrote:
Imports Plus wrote:

Sandbox...

Botting. No miner sits all day long staring at their crystals cycling. They 'set it and forget it'. They walk away and do something else, they set their miners going at work, they set their miners going and go out to a movie.

a complete mining overhaul to something that only needs to be done for like an hour then has vastly diminishing returns fixes the whole side profession.

You are sadly wrong, I know a lot of miners, and none I know leave their ships in space AFK. Also, you really have no idea how people spend their time, so rather then lie and make stuff up, stick to what you know, and that is what you do. Thanks, and have a good day.

I'm a nerd, you can check my stats!! Skilling Int/Mem at 45 sp per minute is how I mack!     I'm like a lapdog, all bark no bite. 

Nicolo da'Vicenza
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#34 - 2012-10-03 17:54:02 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Why do the "defenders of mining" seem intent upon wiping out their own profits and bringing about an army of untoughable bots that will destroy their profession all while limiting their choice of 6 ships to just one king of the barges?
it's kind of the same thought process that goes into denying climate change "you see how little ore is in my cargoba, and how big these buy orders are? no way miners could effect the price of that; I mean, if I couldn't do it"
Destiny Corrupted
Deadly Viper Kitten Mitten Sewing Company
#35 - 2012-10-03 17:57:18 UTC
Define 'foreigners' in terms of Eve please.

American, Irish, English, French?

Statistically, the Chinese and Russians till the ISK fields in this game. I have nothing against either (and in fact may very well be one of them). It's simply the way things are. It's more difficult for a westerner in general to sell game currency. There are a couple of sites that facilitate the process (I know because I made a small fortune selling D3 gold on one until RMAH came out and the market died shortly after due to the game being terrible). For the most part though, western botters keep their ISK for themselves.

I wrote some true EVE stories! And no, they're not of the generic "my 0.0 alliance had lots of 0.0 fleets and took a lot of 0.0 space" sort. Check them out here:

https://truestories.eveonline.com/users/2074-destiny-corrupted

Olleybear
Armed And Angry
#36 - 2012-10-03 18:26:10 UTC
Destiny Corrupted wrote:
I do have to comment on that botting thing, and that is to say that most people (who don't bot) don't have any idea just how bad it is. I'm not even talking about the hardcore ISK-peddling foreigners who run dozen-strong exhumer outfits. I do frequent infils of bear corporations for profit and wardec fun, and it's amazing how many three-month-olds end up bragging about having their accounts suck rocks while they're at work/playing CoD etc. CEOs usually brag the loudest, to impress the trial accounters with their wallets.

Going to have to agree on the botting problem 100%. Bots are detrimental to Eve, whether they are mining rocks in high sec or shooting NPC belt rats in null. Bots hurt us all.

Bots are a separate issue. Bigger tanks and nice yields on mining barges for an actual person sitting behind the keyboard aren't the problem. However, I can appreciate the increased difficulty of a POD Pilot trying themselves to clean up the botting problem in mining due to the recent barge tank buff. CCP will always need to combat the bots to prevent them from ruining the game.

As for players doing other things while mining, from a game mechanic standpoint, it looks like they are doing a bit more than what is required for planetary interaction. PI is set and forget, gather stuff every 2 to 4 days, sell on market, profit.

Should mining be more interactive? Sure. Why not. I think a lot of us can agree that making any activity more fun through interaction is a good thing. As long as people can keep in mind the differences in play styles between guys in a corp taking it easy group mining while chatting, and the play style of a combat pilot seeking pvp. Some of us older guys do like pvp, but maybe not all the time. We also like to relax and not be hyped while playing and choose to mine. Two different play styles. No biggie.

Should Eve accommodate both play styles? Many people think so, as do I.

When it comes to PvP, I am like a chiwawa hanging from a grizzley bears pair of wrinklies for dear life.

Ana Vyr
Vyral Technologies
#37 - 2012-10-03 19:00:02 UTC
Imports Plus wrote:

This is exactly how I play. Mine for a while, manufacture stuff, sell stuff, bit of PI to keep a POS going for blueprint research and copy jobs, bit of ice mining for fuel...and if there's any gametime left after that, run a mission or two, or do some wormhole daytripping.
Imports Plus
Doomheim
#38 - 2012-10-03 19:08:47 UTC
Destiny Corrupted wrote:
it's amazing how many three-month-olds end up bragging about having their accounts suck rocks while they're at work/playing CoD etc. CEOs usually brag the loudest, to impress the trial accounters with their wallets

This right here is the inherent problem and why mining is totally broken and needs to be removed from game completely or redone as an hour a day side-profession.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#39 - 2012-10-03 19:14:48 UTC
Imports Plus wrote:

This right here is the inherent problem and why mining is totally broken and needs to be removed from game completely or redone as an hour a day side-profession.

No CCP just needs to nerf the Macks tank and let us take out the bot fleets again.
Shizuken
Venerated Stars
#40 - 2012-10-03 19:15:19 UTC
Olleybear wrote:
We are here today to reaffirm our position of support for miners, the friendly and hard working pilots who are struggling to support the mineral needs of pilots all across New Eden. From the pilot just starting out mining in a procurer to the advanced miner using Mackinaws and Hulks. We are all one and the same. We are brothers.

For years our colleagues have been under constant attack by groups of vicious pod pilots. These animals have repeatedly condemned, belittled, and outright attacked miners. This assault on our way of life serves to make miners a victim and leads them down the path of helplessness if nothing is done. We must not let that happen.

To combat this, the mining barge researchers have finally changed our beloved mining vessels for the better. They are now tougher, bring in high yields, and can hold more ore in our holds. This is a good thing for all New Eden pilots who make mining their profession. Our ships will last longer out in the fields as we ply our trade. We can all agree this is a wonderful change that has been a long time coming.

Reading that last part may make you feel warm and secure in your newly improved vessels. Don't fall into that trap.

Miners are now under attack in the form of our yields. Yes, the very thing our industry has streamlined to bring more work to our profession and make it more profitable, all while making our minerals cheaper for the common pod pilot, is under attack. We must not stand for this new smear campaign my brothers. They are the enemy. They are trying to weaken us. They are saying we produce too much. I say we don't produce enough. By standing together we can stop the onslaught, bigotry, and hatred of our profession.

Miners everywhere, Unite!

Can you dig it?