These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Winter] Combat Cruisers

First post
Author
Alara IonStorm
#241 - 2012-10-02 21:59:01 UTC
Perhaps add a 5th Turret to the Rupture and 120ish Grid. Then change the Dmg Bonus to a 7.5% Tracking Bonus like the Rifter or Stabber Fleet Issue.

Make it into a good Shield Artillery Ship / Armor Duel Prop Ship / High Tracking Mid Dmg Rush Ship. Double DPS Bonuses seem like a really boring way to go here.
Doddy
Excidium.
#242 - 2012-10-02 22:06:28 UTC
Omnathious Deninard wrote:
Correct me if a am wrong but ships with the attack role are supposed to be high damage low tank, and combat are supposed to be moderate damage and high tank. So my pondering is why gallente is the way it is, for example
Frigates:
Tristran: Combat role, drone tracking and hp bonus, hybrid tracking bonus.
Incursus: Attack role, hybrid damage bonus, local armor rep bonus

Cruisers:
Vexor: Combat role, Drone damage and hp bonus, hybrid damage bonus
Thorax: Attack role, hybrid damage bonus, hybrid tracking bonus

So what is this?

Incursus isn't attack role, frigs have 2 combat, the gallente attack frigate is the atron.
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#243 - 2012-10-02 22:07:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Garviel Tarrant
Alara IonStorm wrote:
Perhaps add a 5th Turret to the Rupture and 120ish Grid. Then change the Dmg Bonus to a 7.5% Tracking Bonus like the Rifter or Stabber Fleet Issue.

Make it into a good Shield Artillery Ship / Armor Duel Prop Ship / High Tracking Mid Dmg Rush Ship. Double DPS Bonuses seem like a really boring way to go here.

Its already way to good at killing frigs tbh <.<

What they need to do is nerf short range weapon range so that short range weapons become short range again...

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Major Killz
inglorious bastards.
#244 - 2012-10-02 22:12:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Major Killz
Vladimir Norkoff wrote:
Garviel Tarrant wrote:
Liang Nuren wrote:
Noooo, it's not OP at all! Leave my pretty alone! Look at that evil, mean Rupture instead!

-Liang

It really isn't.. The bandwith is silly and drones have absolutely terrible projection.

Its not terrible but not op either.
Errr.... Vexor ain't about projection. It's about getting in your face and unleashing hell. And with these changes it just does that ALOT better now. One of the the highest cruiser speeds with it's low mass and decent agility. Enough mids to sport a modest shield buffer, with plenty of lows for damage mods. Increased grid so you can slap on some Neutrons for extra love. Bandwidth is perfectly fine for it's close-range blaster assault. It's a cruiser that will be surpassing 800+dps, with a ~25K+ buffer, and still be able to tackle. That is pretty broken.

I use a Vexor all the time. It is my go-to ship for shooting people in the face. As it is now on TQ, it's pretty damn good. And I'm rather successful using it. And that's flying it with an armor tank. These proposed changes will just make it an insane killing machine.

I'm not sure most pilots understand that the Vexor is so much more capable @ engaging above class ships than any other cruiser. I used signature as an example; but the Vexor will be able to dictate range with dual propulsion in warp scrambler range. It can go up close to a electron blaster Ferox @ 1000km and the Ferox won't be able to track it or engage @ 7km in scram range. Btw: Use graph in eft to find out yourself if you r t@rded or ignorant. You know! To confirm the aforementioned statement...

The Cyclone, shield-Harbinger, Prophecy, and Brutix will all have issues engaging this ship and can lose. Having the ability to dictate range in warp scrambler range gives a close range ship the GTFO ability. Something the Stabber fleet Issue has had for awhile now. NOT TO MENTION THE INSANE OUT OF CLASS TANK and very large applied damage.

The thing is a beast. There is no tech 1 cruiser that can match it in warp scrambler range.

[u]Ich bin ein Pirat ![/u]

Alara IonStorm
#245 - 2012-10-02 22:22:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Alara IonStorm
Garviel Tarrant wrote:

Because Tracking only helps for killing Frigates. Shocked

Tracking also helps with Artillery.

Garviel Tarrant wrote:

What they need to do is nerf short range weapon range so that short range weapons become short range again...

The weapon is not being nerfed. Shocked If it can not operate with 5 Turrets and a DPS Bonus like the other Cruisers then the weapon is the problem. As for why should short range weapons be short I am going to give you a huuuge hint here. They are short range weapons.

If you want long range weapons fit long range weapons and if those long range weapons suck then CCP should look into that instead of white washing over it like with the Moa.

Double DPS Bonuses are boring, give it a real second bonus and role.
ValentinaDLM
SoE Roughriders
Electus Matari
#246 - 2012-10-02 22:25:11 UTC
Really the moa ought to be the caldari maller with a 5/6/3 slot layout and no drones. It is totally pointless that the tanky caldari cruiser has fewer midslots and needs a web more than the caracal. Why would you bother choosing the moa over anything as it currently stands.
Aglais
Ice-Storm
#247 - 2012-10-02 22:38:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Aglais
ValentinaDLM wrote:
Really the moa ought to be the caldari maller with a 5/6/3 slot layout and no drones. It is totally pointless that the tanky caldari cruiser has fewer midslots and needs a web more than the caracal. Why would you bother choosing the moa over anything as it currently stands.

This kind of sentiment precisely. I see absolutely no problems with both Caldari combat-oriented cruisers having a 5/5/4 slot layout; their stats and bonuses are different enough to differentiate them, not to mention the fact that they use totally different weapon systems. The Moa isn't very fast either, so I am really against removing a low slot to make a mid and then leaving the utility high; there's no way to fit anything in that slot unless you're using the smallest guns. Even then, how much would a neutralizer or NOS help you? Really only if you're active tanking a Moa in a small gang or something, but even then, it'd make more sense to switch the utility high for medium power slot #5 and then be able to choose between either fitting on a web or a capacitor booster depending on the situation. This also isn't even touching on the fact that as the Moa is the slowest combat cruiser by a fair margin, it'll need a web to keep enemies from just leaving scram range. To make it the brawler everyone wants it to be, nutty ASB active tank or otherwise, you need that web, and sacrificing a good bit of defense simply to prevent an enemy from dodging half your volleys makes no sense to me. (And then there's also the fact that all the other combat cruisers can easily slap on a webifier, even the only other arguable shield tanker, the Rupture... Who arguably doesn't even NEED a webifier... The Moa can't. And needs it the most.)

As it stands now, the Caracal will be more suited to both long and close range fighting simply because if a Caracal pilot wanted to fit a heavier tank, MWD, point and web for close range, they could, whereas the Moa, whose role is supposed to have them be more survivable than attack cruisers, will have to sacrifice tank for combat effectiveness, especially in short range fights. This seems slightly backwards to me, though I also don't necessarily advocate the loss of a midslot on the Caracal for a utility high either.

Also, I'm very against the suggestions for the loss of the Moa's drone bay. Those three drones aren't alot, but they, as well as a fifth med for a web, will help the Moa be able to fend off irritating frigates and/or destroyers, for sure. It's one of the reasons everyone cites the Maller as being awful. Don't make the Moa the Caldari Maller in more than one way.
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#248 - 2012-10-02 22:40:21 UTC
Alara IonStorm wrote:
Garviel Tarrant wrote:

Because Tracking only helps for killing Frigates. Shocked

Tracking also helps with Artillery.

Garviel Tarrant wrote:

The weapon is not being nerfed. Shocked If it can not operate with 5 Turrets and a DPS Bonus like the other Cruisers then the weapon is the problem. As for why should short range weapons be short I am going to give you a huuuge hint here. They are short range weapons.

If you want long range weapons fit long range weapons and if those long range weapons suck then CCP should look into that instead of white washing over it like with the Moa.

Double DPS Bonuses are boring, give it a real second bonus and role.

1. Yes but what helps for arties also helps for AC's. Much like the wast pg difference between arties and AC's causes minmatar ships to be able to fit ANYTHING if you fit AC's on them. You may think of it as something for arties but the truth is that most people will do a nano TE thing with AC's that shoots to point range and rapes frigs.

2. I think you completely missunderstood me. I am saying i don't like short range weapons being able to shoot to 20km+ while outdpsing long range weapons. TE's have changed everything in eve into mid range bullshit.

Alara IonStorm
#249 - 2012-10-02 22:45:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Alara IonStorm
Garviel Tarrant wrote:

1. Yes but what helps for arties also helps for AC's. Much like the wast pg difference between arties and AC's causes minmatar ships to be able to fit ANYTHING if you fit AC's on them. You may think of it as something for arties but the truth is that most people will do a nano TE thing with AC's that shoots to point range and rapes frigs.

That is entire a problem with Artillery Balance that should be solved before this expansion comes out and we are forced to deal with a bunch of Cruisers optimized with bonuses solely based around short range weapons.

Even if tracking does make it easy to kill Frigates it won't matter because pretty much every cruiser can do that now anyway. Also it will help with Hail giving it a good close range Dmg.

I don't want to see it become Stabber Mk II and instead be optimized for other things.
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#250 - 2012-10-02 22:50:06 UTC
Alara IonStorm wrote:
Garviel Tarrant wrote:

That is entire a problem with Artillery Balance that should be solved before this expansion comes out and we are forced to deal with a bunch of Cruisers optimized with bonuses solely based around short range weapons.

Even if tracking does make it easy to kill Frigates it won't matter because pretty much every cruiser can do that now anyway. Also it will help with Hail making up for the Dmg Bonus.

I don't want to see it become Stabber Mk II and instead be optimized for other things.

i'm not really disagreeing on the bonus thing.. although i kind of hate ruptures so i would be happy if it just became bad like the rifter.

But yea if they nerfed the range on short range weapons (Or just shoot TE's in the face) so that the long range ones would outperform them at medium ranges i would be a happy man.

J A Aloysiusz
Risk Breakers
SONS of BANE
#251 - 2012-10-02 23:08:40 UTC
if the minmatar and caldari ships have a drone bay, shouldn't the maller as well? Other than that, changes look good all-round.
CaptainFalcon07
Scarlet Weather Rhapsody
#252 - 2012-10-02 23:15:51 UTC
The maller doesn't have a drone bay yet the MOA - the most anti-drone race ship has drones.

Also it has the same cap regen as the other cruisers including the rupture that requires no use of capacitor to fire its weapons.

Increase the capacitor recharge rate of the maller and punisher. Making all the ships have the same cap recharge rate is boring homogenization.
Sard Caid
The Tuskers
The Tuskers Co.
#253 - 2012-10-02 23:22:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Sard Caid
Increasing the speed as drastically as you are will make these ships much more aggressive, which is pretty scary considering the increased damage potential of the Maller and Moa, as well as EWAR/tackle potential of the Rupture and Vexor.

Unlike the Punisher, I think the maller will shine for small gang and solo with this slot layout and bonus combination. It is still a very vulnerable platform due to lack of drones or utility highs/mids to deal with frigates, however durability and now modest damage output should make it competitive with similar size peers. Given the lack of cap use bonus, I'd have to try the ship in person to feel out how well the cap holds up in PvP.

The Moa will likely feel much like how the Merlin feels with T1 Frigates now with the added damage bonus. It looks incredibly solid.

The Vexor looks very versatile with four mids and five lows, able to armor or shield tank. It'll probably be a favorite for people in small gangs or soloing due to its ability to put on many hats and excel in many roles. Lack of a utility high makes it more vulnerable to cap warfare and frigates, which is cool.

I'm going to miss the second utility high on the Rupture, however the fact it still retains one takes the sting out of the loss. The extra midslot is a tip of the hat to the folk that love the shield gank fit Rupture today, and the huge increase in speed should allow it to play the skirmishing game more effectively. A problem that I see with the Rupture after these changes, and which is repeated with the Rifter is that Null currently places projectile ships on the back foot: Null loaded blasters have better tracking and has better damage projection in all cases to similar tier projectiles. Even though the Rupture might have a slight advantage in maintaining range or choosing the fight it wants from maneuverability, the Vexor and the Moa will easily overwhelm a Rupture, and will likely lead to the Rupture falling from competitive standing.

I feel this is more an issue with projectiles than it is with the ships. I'll be hitting duality in the near future to try out fittings, however I'm guessing that the change in fitting requirements for projectiles will not solve this inequality issue.
Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#254 - 2012-10-02 23:27:05 UTC
Alara IonStorm wrote:
Omnathious Deninard wrote:
Correct me if a am wrong but ships with the attack role are supposed to be high damage low tank, and combat are supposed to be moderate damage and high tank. So my pondering is why gallente is the way it is, for example
Frigates:
Tristran: Combat role, drone tracking and hp bonus, hybrid tracking bonus.
Incursus: Attack role, hybrid damage bonus, local armor rep bonus

Cruisers:
Vexor: Combat role, Drone damage and hp bonus, hybrid damage bonus
Thorax: Attack role, hybrid damage bonus, hybrid tracking bonus

So what is this?

Atron Attack Attack
Tristan Combat role
Incursus Combat role

OK I stand corrected on the frigates, +1 for you Smile
But on the cruisers, both have the weapon bonuses of an attack ship role, very disappointing, replace the hybrid damage bonus with a local rep bonus like the myrmidon, then up the drone damage bonus to 15~20% and drop the bandwidth down to 50 up the drone bay to 125~150

If you don't follow the rules, neither will I.

Vladimir Norkoff
Income Redistribution Service
#255 - 2012-10-02 23:41:26 UTC
Major Killz wrote:
The thing is a beast. There is no tech 1 cruiser that can match it in warp scrambler range.
Well Ogres can be outrun (even by tackled opponents and stations apparently). And while the Vexor is one of the fastest cruisers with these changes, it apparently will not be able to apply it's damage. Oh, and drones suck cuz they can get shot and apparently you will be too stupid to scoop them while fighting in blaster range. So... it's not a beast. Everything is just fine. It's all perfectly balanced. I know, because a posting alts on EvE-O forums told me so.... /sarcasm

(You are damn right it'll be a beast. A freakin gold-plated r@pemachine.)
Flyingleanpocket
Amarrian Vengeance
Ragequit Cancel Sub
#256 - 2012-10-02 23:54:18 UTC
If you must take a high from the maller, it deserves to have that slot made a mid. It must be made meaningfully better to bring it in line with the other "combat" cruisers, and as has been stated, to give it a real use.
Major Killz
inglorious bastards.
#257 - 2012-10-02 23:57:21 UTC
The Maller should get an optimal range bonus instead of a damage bonus to lasers. If you're slow you may as well be able to project damage fairly far. Might help alot in fleets. Which is where this ship excels am I right? Esp with tech 1 logistics cruisers = / People seems to ignore that and the fact the Maller can hit @ 26 - 32k with 2 tracking computers...

Also, the heavy drone issue is overblown and I'm not going to get into it because it's silly.

[u]Ich bin ein Pirat ![/u]

MisterNick
The Sagan Clan
#258 - 2012-10-03 00:00:17 UTC
::happydance::

Now the question is: Will people start putting correct-sized blasters on the Vexor with the EHP buff? My bet is still no, but i'll give it a go.

Solid improvements across the board. Perhaps i'll get to kill some Moas occasionally Pirate

+1

"Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom."

Alara IonStorm
#259 - 2012-10-03 00:16:18 UTC
MisterNick wrote:

Now the question is: Will people start putting correct-sized blasters on the Vexor with the EHP buff? My bet is still no, but i'll give it a go.

You can fit a set of Medium Electron II's with a Meta 4 1600mm Plate and MWD leaving 12 Grid left for DCU / EANM's, DMG Mods and Tackle. You however need advanced weapons upgrade V.

With AWU IV you can ditch a Trimark for a ACR, put a T2 1600mm Plate and Electron II's and keep about 95% the tank.

Small Neutron Fits are pretty much dead unless you go MWD, 1600mm II, 800mm II 2 EANM II's, DCU and no Dmg Mods in a heavy tank fit.
Cpt Gobla
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#260 - 2012-10-03 03:32:18 UTC
Definitely the worst of the ship balance changes. Looks like a rush job with no real creativity or time spend on it.

The Maller still seems very much lacking. It really needs drones, Amarr are the secondary drone race. It makes no sense at all that the Rupture and Moa have more drones than the Maller.

The Moa needs more mids. It's THE shield-tanked cruiser but it doesn't have more mids than either the Rupture or the Vexor? Drop a high-slot and add a mid-slot. Hell drop a high and a low slot and add 2 mid-slots.

Vexor is the only one that seems to work, it looks like a solid ship.

The Rupture seems rather silly. It needs to either lose it's Attack Cruiser speed or a great many drones, probably all of them.

So yeah, give the Moa at least one more mid-slot at the cost of a high or low and switch the dronebays of the Maller and Rupture.