These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

How will the end of the world start?

Author
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2012-09-26 02:39:01 UTC
Like this.... it's starting Straight

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Tarryn Nightstorm
Hellstar Towing and Recovery
#2 - 2012-09-26 03:38:02 UTC
The world ended a long time ago, hon.

Everyone was just too drunk to notice.

Star Wars: the Old Republic may not be EVE. But I'll take the sound of dual blaster-pistols over "NURVV CLAOKING NAOW!!!11oneone!!" any day of the week.

Akita T
Caldari Navy Volunteer Task Force
#3 - 2012-09-26 05:26:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Akita T
I can't even remember for sure when I last ate any bacon at all. I think it might have been about a year ago or thereabouts. And pig meat, also infrequently, at least lately. It's mostly poultry for me nowadays. Pork ranks between beef (higher) and fish (lower) on my personal meat preference scale.
Sure, it's somewhat tasty, but, meh, not something I'd actually bother to put on my shopping list, nor feel attracted to it when I see it in a store.
Amaroq Dricaldari
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2012-09-26 06:28:48 UTC
Oh shiiiiiiit...

There goes the neighborhood...

Personally, I don't believe any of this end-of-the-world crap. And even if it is to be believed, few seem to realize that the Myan calendar was not synchronized with ours. Their 2012 was sometime in the 1960's on our calendar, wasn't it?

Though now that I mentioned it, a lot of ancient ruins and mythology and historical documents occasionally reference modern technology in some vague way... kinda creepy...

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

AlleyKat
The Unwanted.
#5 - 2012-09-26 07:58:52 UTC
Pigs are filthy animals...

This space for rent.

Charles Javeroux
INTERSTELLAR CREDIT
#6 - 2012-09-26 10:05:50 UTC
AlleyKat wrote:

....so are men, but you do not see pigs complaining
AlleyKat
The Unwanted.
#7 - 2012-09-26 10:58:14 UTC
Charles Javeroux wrote:
AlleyKat wrote:

It was a quote from a movie, any takers?

This space for rent.

Kirjava
Lothian Enterprises
#8 - 2012-09-26 14:57:44 UTC
I put my money on the world ending (or coming close) on current events.

China vs Japan over a few islands, Iran vs Israel in the middle east coming to a head rapidly and the rest of the middle east going mad with protests about who to side with.

And then theres NATO, here we are, stuck in the middle with you... nukes to the west of, nukes to the right stuck in the middle with you! Bear

[center]Haruhiists - Overloading Out of Pod discussions since 2007. /人◕‿‿◕人\ Unban Saede![/center]

Telegram Sam
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2012-09-26 15:48:54 UTC
Oh man. This not only affects bacon, but also supplies of ham, bratwurst, pepperoni, salami, lard, etc., etc. Spam will probably be OK, I doubt there are any imported Euro hogs in that stuff. Anyway, I'd recommend stocking up on this this while it's still available.
Bigpimping
Pimp Inc.
#10 - 2012-09-26 17:16:36 UTC
Akita T wrote:
Pork ranks between beef (higher) and fish (lower) on my personal meat preference scale.

Pfft, fish is barely meat. More like a sea vegetable.

Caleidascope
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2012-09-26 18:51:01 UTC
Bigpimping wrote:
Akita T wrote:
Pork ranks between beef (higher) and fish (lower) on my personal meat preference scale.

Pretty sure it is sea poultry: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2070/2477708241_fb0ae13cbf.jpg

Life is short and dinner time is chancy

Eat dessert first!

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2012-09-26 18:53:33 UTC
I thought they were sea kittens What?

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Kenneth O'Hara
Sebiestor Tribe
#13 - 2012-09-26 18:57:22 UTC
Bigpimping wrote:
Akita T wrote:

Personnally, I don't care what kind of meat it is as long it came from an animal or fish. With exceptions to endangered species. Now don't get me wrong, if those creatures were not endangered, i'd eat them or atleast see what they tasted like.

I like going to vegan parties with assorted meats party platters and other varies forms of meat including BBQ, veal, lamb, and crawdads. Sometimes I'll take regular burgers and tell them it's vegan and see which ones notice the difference. Of course I ask if they are allergic to anything first.

Yea, PETA and I do not get along too well.

Now, on to the end of the world... that's not gonna happen. Theories are good for entertainment on the subject but ultimately it's not gonna happen. If it does, I hope live through the event and live in a primitive post apocalyptic society. My survival skills need to be tested!

Bring Saede Riordan back!! Never Forget! _"__Operation Godzilla Smacks Zeus"  ~__Graygor _

lanyaie
Nocturnal Romance
Cynosural Field Theory.
#14 - 2012-09-26 19:32:17 UTC
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:

SEA KITTENS!

Spaceprincess

People who put passwords on char bazaar Eveboards are the worst.

Kehro Urgus
Dark Nebula Academy
O X I D E
#15 - 2012-09-26 20:47:49 UTC
I don't like that turkey bacon. It tastes like fish. X

Yeeee! 

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#16 - 2012-09-26 21:41:59 UTC
lanyaie wrote:
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:

SEA KITTENS!

Hmmm, tasty Big smile

Kehro Urgus wrote:
I don't like that turkey bacon. It tastes like fish. X

That might be a problem.... Ugh

stoicfaux
#17 - 2012-09-27 00:33:45 UTC
Actually we might be a bit closer than we think. A lot of the middle east governments subsidize food and also import a lot of their food. With the current US drought hitting farmers hard, food exports are going to be down which will raise prices. And the US exports a *lot* of food, something like 45% of its wheat. Compounding issues would be weak middle eastern economies and high unemployment, especially among the youth. Last time there was a mild spike in food prices, things got a bit tense. This time around it's probably going to be much worse.

If this causes a spike in oil prices (using the revenue to import food,) then that will cause another corresponding spike in food prices which could affect even the western countries.

Ask yourself this, if Something Happens(tm) and your local grocery store was unable to receive food shipments for a week or two, what would you do for food? Especially if you live in a big city...

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Caleidascope
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#18 - 2012-09-27 00:41:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Caleidascope
stoicfaux wrote:
Actually we might be a bit closer than we think. A lot of the middle east governments subsidize food and also import a lot of their food. With the current US drought hitting farmers hard, food exports are going to be down which will raise prices. And the US exports a *lot* of food, something like 45% of its wheat. Compounding issues would be weak middle eastern economies and high unemployment, especially among the youth. Last time there was a mild spike in food prices, things got a bit tense. This time around it's probably going to be much worse.

If this causes a spike in oil prices (using the revenue to import food,) then that will cause another corresponding spike in food prices which could affect even the western countries.

Ask yourself this, if Something Happens(tm) and your local grocery store was unable to receive food shipments for a week or two, what would you do for food? Especially if you live in a big city...

Spot on.

About 3-4 years ago I read an article about the price of subsidized bread in Egypt. The price was going up. Two years later we have protests against the Egyptian government, which resulted in removal of old government. The bottom line is that Egypt has a lot of problems, I realize that. The price of subsidized food going up was just one of several issues. But when enough of these problems pile up, BOOM!
Edit. Article from 2008: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/16/world/africa/16iht-bread.4.9271958.html?pagewanted=all&_moc.semityn.www

So yeah. Expect more economical, political and social unrest.

Life is short and dinner time is chancy

Eat dessert first!

Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#19 - 2012-09-27 03:14:39 UTC
AlleyKat wrote:
Charles Javeroux wrote:
AlleyKat wrote:

It was a quote from a movie, any takers?

Pulp fiction

Bigpimping wrote:
Akita T wrote:

Damnit, surfin already beat me to the sea kitten comment

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

Nerath Naaris
Pink Winged Unicorns for Peace Love and Anarchy
#20 - 2012-09-27 04:12:03 UTC
The end of the world will start by some brilliant but slightly eccentric scientist discovering that there is some slight disturbance in earths´ >insert something pseudo-scientific here like magnetic field or orbit<. He will then try to warn the officials and the general public but will be ridiculed and ignored, perhaps even tried to be silenced permanently by the govenment.

Ultimately though, he manages to survive by >insert some hare-brained plan like building his own space-ship or moonbase<, thus saving his family and a few other who believe him and the human race will continue on.

Je suis Paris // Köln // Brüssel // Orlando // Nice // Würzburg, München, Ansbach // Saint-Étienne-du-Rouvray

Je suis Berlin // Fort Lauderdale // London // St. Petersburg // Stockholm

Je suis [?]

12Next page