These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Winter] Attack Cruisers

First post First post
Author
Alara IonStorm
#441 - 2012-09-24 22:39:28 UTC
J A Aloysiusz wrote:

To close the gap, I'd say at least 6th launcher (and extra fitting room for it), and 4 light drones are necessary. Even still, it would be doing about 150 less DPS than the thorax.

Six Launcher is a little much remember this thing lobs its HAM's to 30km. In a small gang fight where you are spread 15-25km between primaries it starts dealing that Dmg Type Selected DPS before the Thorax closes range. Not better I use the Thorax now and it is good - the new speed as is but different. With 20m3 Drone Space I think it would be just perfect.
Bouh Revetoile
In Wreck we thrust
#442 - 2012-09-24 22:42:35 UTC
J A Aloysiusz wrote:
The Caracal's damage potential isn't even close to the others. With 2 BCS, max damage will be around 400. And that's with T2 ammo, which will not be hitting for full effect unless the enemy is moving less than 128 m/s. Dreadnoughts beware!

I can understand keeping the Stabber's damage potential low, since it has the highest speed and lowest signature radius. I'm with you there. But the Caracal has the slowest base speed and highest signature radius!

Compare it to the thorax. Neutrons, two mag stabs, Thorax does a maximum of 520 DPS before drones (680 with). With a tracking bonus, it will be doing full damage at close range. Also, thorax is faster, has a lower signature radius, more total hitpoints, higher scan resolution, more capacitor and 40m3 more drone bay/bandwidth.

The current stats are a step in the right direction for the caracal, but it still comes up way short. If it's supposed to be an attack cruiser, it should be capable of dealing some real damage, not a puny 400.

To close the gap, I'd say at least 6th launcher (and extra fitting room for it), and 4 light drones are necessary. Even still, it would be doing about 150 less DPS than the thorax.

Ever heard about rocket frigates ? They have an aweful paper dps, though they are dreadful in practice...

Also, 400dps at 20km, compared to blaster 600dps at 2km... At 4km, you out dps this thorax.
J A Aloysiusz
Risk Breakers
SONS of BANE
#443 - 2012-09-24 22:51:55 UTC
Bouh Revetoile wrote:
J A Aloysiusz wrote:
The Caracal's damage potential isn't even close to the others. With 2 BCS, max damage will be around 400. And that's with T2 ammo, which will not be hitting for full effect unless the enemy is moving less than 128 m/s. Dreadnoughts beware!

I can understand keeping the Stabber's damage potential low, since it has the highest speed and lowest signature radius. I'm with you there. But the Caracal has the slowest base speed and highest signature radius!

Compare it to the thorax. Neutrons, two mag stabs, Thorax does a maximum of 520 DPS before drones (680 with). With a tracking bonus, it will be doing full damage at close range. Also, thorax is faster, has a lower signature radius, more total hitpoints, higher scan resolution, more capacitor and 40m3 more drone bay/bandwidth.

The current stats are a step in the right direction for the caracal, but it still comes up way short. If it's supposed to be an attack cruiser, it should be capable of dealing some real damage, not a puny 400.

Ever heard about rocket frigates ? They have an aweful paper dps, though they are dreadful in practice...

Also, 400dps at 20km, compared to blaster 600dps at 2km... At 4km, you out dps this thorax.

please reread my last post, I just refuted that point in an edit ;D
Alara IonStorm
#444 - 2012-09-24 22:55:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Alara IonStorm
J A Aloysiusz wrote:

edit - I'd also like to add that the range bonus is absolutely useless. Let's say you want to kite at point range, you now don't have a web on your target. Kiting ships often project very well because their target tries to approach them, lowering transversal. This will not be the case for the caracal! Since missile damage is based on target velocity, not transversal, an enemy approaching you at 800 m/s will be taking only a small portion of your already-anaemic 400 dps. Oh, and that's before his resistances are applied. Might as well just use a condor...?

Are we in magical 1v1 land again where all ships are only judged how they do in Arena Space? Judge how ships do when thier are 4 or 8 or 12 or 30 all at different ranges moving in different directions and suddenly that 15 seconds to get everyone to the primary becomes a lot longer. Especially when there are Logi on the field and looking at the other threads me thinks there might be an uptick in that. Missile Ranges not looking so bad now is it.
J A Aloysiusz
Risk Breakers
SONS of BANE
#445 - 2012-09-24 23:08:25 UTC  |  Edited by: J A Aloysiusz
Alara IonStorm wrote:
J A Aloysiusz wrote:

edit - I'd also like to add that the range bonus is absolutely useless. Let's say you want to kite at point range, you now don't have a web on your target. Kiting ships often project very well because their target tries to approach them, lowering transversal. This will not be the case for the caracal! Since missile damage is based on target velocity, not transversal, an enemy approaching you at 800 m/s will be taking only a small portion of your already-anaemic 400 dps. Oh, and that's before his resistances are applied. Might as well just use a condor...?

Are we in magical 1v1 land again where all ships are only judged how they do in Arena Space? Judge how ships do when thier are 4 or 8 or 12 or 30 all at different ranges moving in different directions and suddenly that 15 seconds to get everyone to the primary becomes a lot longer.

That's a reasonable point. You just described exactly what made the HML drake good. However, HML's have better explosion radius and explosion velocity, so their missiles actually hit closer to their listed damage.

Let's say we're not in magical 1v1 land. If we're facing slow, heavy ships, the other attack cruisers will have no problem getting to their target, especially because they're all faster than my caracal. Say we're facing fast ships then. Well, I can fire at the target moving 2km + m/s, but I'm doing a grand total <100 dps. Not to mention, my range is reduced by the speed of the target, while everyone else's hits immediately.

edit - sorry for the edits, I know it's annoying. But also, the maximum range of HAMs greatly depends upon skills (projection, bombardment, caldari cruiser). A pilot with maxed skills may get 30km, but a pilot with maxed skills won't be flying a caracal. A fairly new player will get closer to 15km, further reducing his supposed advantage.
Alara IonStorm
#446 - 2012-09-24 23:11:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Alara IonStorm
J A Aloysiusz wrote:

Let's say we're not in magical 1v1 land. If we're facing slow, heavy ships, the other attack cruisers will have no problem getting to their target, especially because they're all faster than my caracal. Say we're facing fast ships then. Well, I can fire at the target moving 2km + m/s, but I'm doing a grand total <100 dps. Not to mention, my range is reduced by the speed of the target, while everyone else's hits immediately.

Then now we are in magical scenario land where there is never effective tackle and everything is always at optimal. The ship that the person creating scenario land hates tends to lose a lot for some reason. 2KM a second means a lot less when the enemy is not bunched up nice and tight but spread out and people are tackling you.
J A Aloysiusz
Risk Breakers
SONS of BANE
#447 - 2012-09-24 23:17:13 UTC
Alara IonStorm wrote:
J A Aloysiusz wrote:

Then now we are in magical scenario land where there is never effective tackle and everything is always at optimal. The ship that the person creating scenario land hates tends to lose a lot for some reason. 2KM a second means a lot less when the enemy is not bunched up nice and tight but spread out and people are tackling you.

If there's effective tackle, why can't the other attack cruisers, who are all faster than me, get to their optimal?

Again, it's an attack cruiser... dealing out DPS should be its primary strength. If you want to project damage, perhaps HAMs aren't for you?
Goldensaver
Maraque Enterprises
Just let it happen
#448 - 2012-09-24 23:20:19 UTC
Sigras wrote:
And somebody suggested buffing the stabber because its DPS is low, which I argued against using the comparison of the brutix and the hurricane, the cane doesnt actually do that much DPS compared with the brutix, but everyone still uses the cane because of its range and ability to dictate engagement range.

Also because of the 2 utility high slots used for neuts (which the Stabber shares), which can shut down other aspects of an enemy's ship.
J A Aloysiusz
Risk Breakers
SONS of BANE
#449 - 2012-09-24 23:21:28 UTC
And I'll level with you - I'm fighting a little bit in scenario land. In actuality, there may be times when the caracal is at least decent. But the caracal quite literally has all lower stats than the thorax, except range. It's like comparing deimos with cerberus, imho.
Alara IonStorm
#450 - 2012-09-24 23:24:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Alara IonStorm
J A Aloysiusz wrote:

If there's effective tackle, why can't the other attack cruisers, who are all faster than me, get to their optimal?

People keep looking at speed like some magic bullet that makes 20m/s magically make you close range instantly. 10-20-30-40 Seconds can be life time in fights like these.

Truth is there are dozens of situations where Heavy Missiles would be more valuable and HAM's would be more valuable then a Thorax using the right gang or the right support and just as many in the reverse. The Caracal doesn't need much, 20m3 Drone Bay IMO to start maximizing its strengths against the enemy.
J A Aloysiusz wrote:

Again, it's an attack cruiser... dealing out DPS should be its primary strength. If you want to project damage, perhaps HAMs aren't for you?

Dealing DPS has little to do with the CCP Attack Ship Philosophy. Attack Cruisers are quicker for a start then branch off on their own thing.
J A Aloysiusz wrote:
And I'll level with you - I'm fighting a little bit in scenario land. In actuality, there may be times when the caracal is at least decent. But the caracal quite literally has all lower stats than the thorax, except range. It's like comparing deimos with cerberus, imho.

Thing about fixing a troubled ship is that it takes a very soft touch. Push it an inch to far and someone who sees a use different then what you see and boom Drakes go from passive tanked gimmick jokes that desperately need a buff so they can fight real ship to the AK-47 of EVE.
Goldensaver wrote:

Also because of the 2 utility high slots used for neuts (which the Stabber shares), which can shut down other aspects of an enemy's ship.

Makes it harder with the low cap / fitting though. I would prefer the Cane lose its DMG Bonus for Tracking or something and get another turret to do away with those Neuts.
Goldensaver
Maraque Enterprises
Just let it happen
#451 - 2012-09-24 23:42:15 UTC
Alara IonStorm wrote:

Goldensaver wrote:

Makes it harder with the low cap / fitting though. I would prefer the Cane lose its DMG Bonus for Tracking or something and get another turret to do away with those Neuts.

Yeah, I was just stating a reason the 'cane was so used. It's fast, strong enough, and it brings a good amount of utility. The Stabber is similar to this, so I can't really support much more than it's getting. It might need a little touching up, but I'd rather see this one implemented and tested before they start playing around with adding turrets. It's fast, versatile, and brings utility. They have to be careful with changing it up without testing it first.
Sigras
Conglomo
#452 - 2012-09-25 02:54:43 UTC
J A Aloysiusz wrote:

im assuming youre comparing a shield thorax against the caracals right? because an armor thorax is definitely slower, but even then i cant imagine a shield thorax's EHP reaching a caracals . . .
Yun Kuai
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#453 - 2012-09-25 03:00:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Yun Kuai
For the people who are saying the Thorax will melt the Caracal, you have to remember the thorax is only 10m/s faster than the caracal, and if I fit an 800mm rolled tungsten + triple trimarks (or better yet, a 1600mm plate and triple trimarks), your caracal is going to be faster than my thorax by a lot. The caracal can start applying its dps at 25km and hit my thorax for effective damage, while I have to OH and play cat and mouse games to catch you and start applying my dps. So yes, the caracal does less dps on paper, but on paper, every Gallente hull does the best dps in game, but we can clearly see that's not the case unless you have perfect conditions.

And for the for people who say well if I fit neutrons on the thorax, it gets 600dps. If you're fitting neutrons, you're doing it wrong. There has been no buff to PG on the thorax, so if you only want a DCU II for tank then that's what you'll get. The thorax is not a shield tanked hull, or rather that is what CCP intends from the logic of them removing over 300 shield HP on the thorax hull. Even if I only fit an 800mm rolled tungsten, I still have to fit some type of fitting mod to fit a full rack of ions. If I fit just an 800mm plate and a full rack of 200mm rails, I need an ACR and +3% implant. The tracking bonus is awesome, the extra mid slot to fit a cap booster to help against everyone fitting neuts is good, but the PG on Gallente hulls makes them either all gank or all tank.

Directed at Fozzie: When the hybrid weapons platform was given their small buff, CCP acknowledged that the buff was too small and was only a start. There needs to be nerf, specifically to medium hybrids, to the hybrid weapons PG fitting requirements. Or there needs to be a buff to Gallente hull base PG. My question to you: you're doing both for the amarr, why not do the same for the Gallente?

--------------------------------------------------------::::::::::::--:::-----:::---::::::::::::--------------:::----------:::----:::---:::----------------------:::::::-------:::---:::----::::::-------------------:::-----------:::--:::----:::---------------------::::::::::::----:::::::----:::::::::::::-------

Sinigr Shadowsong
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#454 - 2012-09-25 06:04:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Sinigr Shadowsong
Deerin wrote:
and why are all discussions on other weapon platforms and ships coming back to battlecruisers??

Because anything that actually matters starts from battlecruisers. It's BC/BS/Caps/T2/Faction. Frigates, destroyers and cruisers of course should be looked at, but for most players all those ships doesn't matter anything. Those are mostly FW/RvB ships, not the ships that 95% of playerbase use.

Yun Kuai wrote:
For the people who are saying the Thorax will melt the Caracal, you have to remember the thorax is only 10m/s faster than the Thorax, and if I fit an 800mm rolled tungsten + triple trimarks (or better yet, a 1600mm plate and triple trimarks), your caracal is going to be faster than my thorax by a lot.

But Thorax is a Shield ship now. It has no bonuses to deffence and 4 mid slots, that's enough for MSE+Adaptive Invul+Point+MWD, standart issue Shield mids. It can now be fitted with nanofibers.
Rayner Vanguard
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#455 - 2012-09-25 06:29:07 UTC
Yun Kuai wrote:
For the people who are saying the Thorax will melt the Caracal, you have to remember the thorax is only 10m/s faster than the Thorax, and if I fit an 800mm rolled tungsten + triple trimarks (or better yet, a 1600mm plate and triple trimarks), your caracal is going to be faster than my thorax by a lot. The caracal can start applying its dps at 25km and hit my thorax for effective damage, while I have to OH and play cat and mouse games to catch you and start applying my dps. So yes, the caracal does less dps on paper, but on paper, every Gallente hull does the best dps in game, but we can clearly see that's not the case unless you have perfect conditions.

And for the for people who say well if I fit neutrons on the thorax, it gets 600dps. If you're fitting neutrons, you're doing it wrong. There has been no buff to PG on the thorax, so if you only want a DCU II for tank then that's what you'll get. The thorax is not a shield tanked hull, or rather that is what CCP intends from the logic of them removing over 300 shield HP on the thorax hull. Even if I only fit an 800mm rolled tungsten, I still have to fit some type of fitting mod to fit a full rack of ions. If I fit just an 800mm plate and a full rack of 200mm rails, I need an ACR and +3% implant. The tracking bonus is awesome, the extra mid slot to fit a cap booster to help against everyone fitting neuts is good, but the PG on Gallente hulls makes them either all gank or all tank.

True
This attack cruiser concept doesn't work well with armor tank

Armor tank will slow down the ship while attack cruiser / attack ship is meant to be a fast and agile attacker
That's why I said that Thorax will be another Deimos (or Die-Most)
Martin0
Dorky Unicorns
#456 - 2012-09-25 08:05:49 UTC
Yun Kuai wrote:
For the people who are saying the Thorax will melt the Caracal, you have to remember the thorax is only 10m/s faster than the Thorax, and if I fit an 800mm rolled tungsten + triple trimarks (or better yet, a 1600mm plate and triple trimarks), your caracal is going to be faster than my thorax by a lot. The caracal can start applying its dps at 25km and hit my thorax for effective damage, while I have to OH and play cat and mouse games to catch you and start applying my dps. So yes, the caracal does less dps on paper, but on paper, every Gallente hull does the best dps in game, but we can clearly see that's not the case unless you have perfect conditions.

Directed at Fozzie: When the hybrid weapons platform was given their small buff, CCP acknowledged that the buff was too small and was only a start. There needs to be nerf, specifically to medium hybrids, to the hybrid weapons PG fitting requirements. Or there needs to be a buff to Gallente hull base PG. My question to you: you're doing both for the amarr, why not do the same for the Gallente?

Fozzie.
Give us more powergrid. NOW.
Sinigr Shadowsong
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#457 - 2012-09-25 08:22:08 UTC
Martin0 wrote:

Fozzie.

[Thorax, Winter]

Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Tracking Enhancer II
Damage Control II
Nanofiber Internal Structure II

Large Shield Extender II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Experimental 10MN Microwarpdrive I
Warp Disruptor II

Heavy Ion Blaster II
Heavy Ion Blaster II
Heavy Ion Blaster II
Heavy Ion Blaster II
Heavy Ion Blaster II

Medium Core Defense Field Extender I
Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I

Would work just fine, though 100 PG had to be added if it's supposed to work with Neutrons. LSE II gives enough buffer so you don't have to worry about lower base shield value.
Martin0
Dorky Unicorns
#458 - 2012-09-25 10:43:31 UTC
Sinigr Shadowsong wrote:
Martin0 wrote:

Fozzie.

[Thorax, Winter]

Tracking Enhancer II
Damage Control II

Large Shield Extender II
Warp Disruptor II

Heavy Ion Blaster II
Heavy Ion Blaster II
Heavy Ion Blaster II
Heavy Ion Blaster II
Heavy Ion Blaster II

Would work just fine, though 100 PG had to be added if it's supposed to work with Neutrons. LSE II gives enough buffer so you don't have to worry about lower base shield value.

You know, gallente ships are supposed to be armor tanked so i would like armor tanking to be viable.
If i wanted shield tanking i would have chosen CALDARI not GALLENTE.
Sinigr Shadowsong
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#459 - 2012-09-25 10:52:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Sinigr Shadowsong
Martin0 wrote:

You know, gallente ships are supposed to be armor tanked so i would like armor tanking to be viable.

Yes, I understand. But tbh armor attack cruiser conception seems flawed. Also Gallente players got used already to shield Domi and autocannon Myrm, the way CCP see Gallente is just don't work.
Aprudena Gist
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#460 - 2012-09-25 13:34:50 UTC
Martin0 wrote:
Sinigr Shadowsong wrote:
Martin0 wrote:

Fozzie.

[Thorax, Winter]

Tracking Enhancer II
Damage Control II

Large Shield Extender II
Warp Disruptor II

Heavy Ion Blaster II
Heavy Ion Blaster II
Heavy Ion Blaster II
Heavy Ion Blaster II
Heavy Ion Blaster II

Armor tanking a ship that is supposed to go fast, is stupid.