These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page
 

When the nukes launch, will EVE be protected?

First post
Author
I Love Boobies
All Hail Boobies
#21 - 2012-09-21 11:05:02 UTC
Tom Gerard wrote:
In the event of Global Thermonuclear War... why are the EVE servers located in London? Doubtful they survive a nuclear cataclysm, are there backups?

Further Questions:
+ I have satellite internet available in my area, will it keep tickin'?
+ What can I do to protect my EVE account following the apocalypse?
+ Would there be a SP reimbursement for survivors on a new server?



Dude, we don't have to worry about a nuclear holocaust because the Zombie Apocalypse is coming long before any nuclear war. It's already happening, just the major news outlets are forcibly being kept quiet by their perspective governments.
Cpt Gobla
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#22 - 2012-09-21 11:34:29 UTC
Hrm...

Are the test servers also located in London or in Iceland?

If they're in Iceland we're in luck, I can't think of any reason why somebody would ever nuke Iceland.
Terrorfrodo
Interbus Universal
#23 - 2012-09-21 11:41:54 UTC
CCP should store a copy of current EVE code and a small but working server cluster in an icelandic mountain. Iceland will probably not be nuked directly and is far away from everything else. Survivors of the nuclear apocalypse can then make their way to Iceland and spend the rest of their days playing EVE. Even endless nuclear winter won't be a big deal because, well, in Iceland you'll barely notice a difference.

.

Vera Algaert
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#24 - 2012-09-21 11:48:02 UTC
Accki wrote:
Hehe Tom would be the kind of person wondering why his GPS navigation system wont work

Tom Gerard uses GLONASS (because he can), you insensitive clod.

.

Yuri Intaki
Nasranite Watch
#25 - 2012-09-21 11:53:06 UTC
Terrorfrodo wrote:
CCP should store a copy of current EVE code and a small but working server cluster in an icelandic mountain. Iceland will probably not be nuked directly and is far away from everything else. Survivors of the nuclear apocalypse can then make their way to Iceland and spend the rest of their days playing EVE. Even endless nuclear winter won't be a big deal because, well, in Iceland you'll barely notice a difference.


Too much effort, similiar location is already available and it's probably possible to rent space.
Verone
Veto Corp
#26 - 2012-09-21 12:04:18 UTC

No Nukes! No Nukes! No Nukes!LolLolLol

Verone CEO & Executor Veto Corp WWW.VETO-CORP.COM

Brooks Puuntai
Solar Nexus.
#27 - 2012-09-21 12:35:55 UTC
Well they did have a plan for a Zombie Apocalypse, so I don't see any harm in having a post-thermonuclear plan.

CCP's Motto: If it isn't broken, break it. If it is broken, ignore it. Improving NPE / Dynamic New Eden

Sugar Von MurdererTits
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#28 - 2012-09-21 12:37:52 UTC
enterprisePSI wrote:
In the event of Global Thermonuclear War, the EVE Server is going to be fine, since it will be the one starting the war.


Shall We Play a Game?
Lord Ryan
True Xero
#29 - 2012-09-21 12:43:34 UTC
No reason to worry CCP will just nerf the nukes.

Do not assume anything above this line was typed by me. Nerf the Truth, it's inconvenient.

Gothikia
#30 - 2012-09-21 13:01:10 UTC


Bastard, you beat me to it.

<3 Gothie

TriadSte
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#31 - 2012-09-21 13:49:11 UTC
Who on earth would drop a Nuke on London?

The guys we are at war with dont have such capability, as soon as a plane veers of its designated course the Jets go up.

The UK like the USA are pretty much invincible.

Plus we win anyway as we have the SAS.
highonpop
Wildly Inappropriate
Goonswarm Federation
#32 - 2012-09-21 13:53:05 UTC
Joelleaveek wrote:
Just remember to put a long skill in your queue before the bombs drop, kinda like patch day.



Our new fancy skill que eliminates patch day blues

FC, what do?

Din Chao
#33 - 2012-09-21 13:57:33 UTC
EvE servers are a high priority target. Goonswarm is a CIA front.
Sarmea Moon
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#34 - 2012-09-21 14:26:59 UTC




My favorite line from that movie is "Get. off. the. nuclear. warhead."

Welp, some of us took a look at Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs ('cause it was on my boards, not because I cared) when planning our bomb/zombie/ idiots take over the country shelters. So I'm set for food (have above ground farm, lots of food in storage, and below ground indoor greenhouse). Sex- I have a hubby, and he doesn't have a headache often. The plants take care of our oxygen needs, and poop makes good fertilizer. Even have space for 10 bunks. All set on that front. Security- I live in a class III state, that will NOT be an issue. We have the ability to home load our ammo for our rifles, and have high powered crossbows and compound bows. Most of our family lives nearby, so got the socialization going on. This is the point where EvE must come in. What, 40% of adult EvE is military/exmilitary/govt servants/ intel analysts??? We NEED our EvE to plan the retaliation!!! Plus, about 140% of EvE players are" IT specialists working in the industry"- the forums told me so:P

Also- if I had to spend eternity talking to my hubby for lack of books or EvE, just shoot me now!!! We already know that flights are affected by Iceland volcanoes, so with any luck, everyone will forget to nuke Iceland. No big cloud, and the satellites should run fine. I'm out in the woods in the middle of nowhere, so not worth nuking- my equipment will be fine.

Survivors meet in Jita!!!

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse [lady of commercial virtue]. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.- James Nicoll

Ginger Barbarella
#35 - 2012-09-21 15:17:39 UTC
Bart Starr wrote:
First in a Tom Gerard thread!!!!!


You say that like it's a good thing. You need to get out more.

"Blow it all on Quafe and strippers." --- Sorlac

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#36 - 2012-09-21 15:33:15 UTC
Cpt Gobla wrote:
Hrm...

Are the test servers also located in London or in Iceland?

If they're in Iceland we're in luck, I can't think of any reason why somebody would ever nuke Iceland.
Come the Great Codfish Famine, the whole world will be fighting over Iceland.

Good thing that CCP has a secret moon base.

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

ctx2007
Wychwood and Wells
Beer needs you
#37 - 2012-09-21 15:52:53 UTC
What a great name for an Eve expansion "Nuclear Winter"

You only realise you life has been a waste of time, when you wake up dead.

Taedrin
Virtues Corporation
#38 - 2012-09-21 15:54:34 UTC
Depends where the nuke blows up.

If the nuke is a high altitude EMP burst, then you are screwed. If a nuke is detonated 400km above the USA, the EMP will fry most electronics within 80-90% of the continental USA. To make matters worse, the EMP will destroy the industrial scale power transformers which we rely upon for power distribution. Unfortunately, our ability to reconstruct these transformers are extremely limited. Worldwide industrial capacity can construct just one of these transformers in 18 months. It would take decades to rebuild the US's power infrastructure by which time EVE Online would be dead (for real this time). Considering that the US represents about half of CCP's customer base (at least they were a few years ago), CCP would go out of business quickly.

If instead a high altitude EMP burst occurs over Europe, then Tranquility would be destroyed, possibly along with any servers containing the EVE Server source code. CCP *MIGHT* be able to salvage source code from Serenity, but they would have to survive the post apocalyptic struggle for survival first.

In short: No, you will not get your SPs reimbursed in the event of nuclear war because CCP will not exist anymore.
ISD TYPE40
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#39 - 2012-09-21 16:10:48 UTC
Thread moved from GD to OOPE - ISD Type40.

[b]ISD Type40 Lt. Commander Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs) Interstellar Services Department[/b]

stoicfaux
#40 - 2012-09-21 16:24:31 UTC
Tom Gerard wrote:
In the event of Global Thermonuclear War... why are the EVE servers located in London? Doubtful they survive a nuclear cataclysm, are there backups?

Further Questions:
+ I have satellite internet available in my area, will it keep tickin'?
+ What can I do to protect my EVE account following the apocalypse?
+ Would there be a SP reimbursement for survivors on a new server?

Nope, mainly because of the lack of electricity. Even if the servers were still running and available, there's also the problem that there wouldn't be enough people to keep the Eve economy going.

Your Eve account is tied to the billing system and the currency it relies on will be rendered valueless, so stockpile your PLEX.

HTFU! Enough the the SP reimbursement entitlement mentality you hippie socialist! This. Is. Eve!


Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Previous page123Next page