These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

IT Ganked me........

First post
Author
Christy D Floyd
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#41 - 2012-08-02 17:44:04 UTC
Update:

Problem solved I just informed my IT guy he can find someone else to provide him with 420 and he instantly apoligized and then removed all restrictions to any and all websites . He also said he could modify the internet usuage report he has to turn so it doesnt show any website I have been on. Behold the power of 420.

Fly High

Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons.

CCP Phantom
C C P
C C P Alliance
#42 - 2012-08-02 20:40:08 UTC
Christy D Floyd wrote:
Update:

Problem solved I just informed my IT guy he can find someone else to provide him with 420 and he instantly apoligized and then removed all restrictions to any and all websites . He also said he could modify the internet usuage report he has to turn so it doesnt show any website I have been on. Behold the power of 420.

Great! Otherwise I would have suggested to turn your IT folks into dedicated EVE players.

On a second ... turn them into EVE players anyway! Big smile

CCP Phantom - Senior Community Developer

Abon
Pandorum Research Incorporated
#43 - 2012-08-02 22:33:50 UTC
CCP Phantom wrote:
Christy D Floyd wrote:
Update:

Great! Otherwise I would have suggested to turn your IT folks into dedicated EVE players.

Almost 10 years in IT now...never blocked a single EVE Site anywhere so far. PirateLol
Roll Sizzle Beef
Space Mutiny
#44 - 2012-08-02 22:38:40 UTC
Yay, you solved your problem with pot, so hip and edgy.
Markus Raum
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#45 - 2012-08-02 22:46:07 UTC
If it happens again just install teamviewer and remote into your home pc and go online from there ;)
Buoytender Bob
Ronin Exploration Mission and Mining
#46 - 2012-08-03 00:13:25 UTC
Great, so now 2 people are putting their jobs at risk.................

To buck the popular trend, I began to Rage Start instead of Rage Quit.

...and every time I get another piece of Carbon, I know exactly what CCP is getting this Christmas.

Pankas Carter
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#47 - 2012-08-03 00:37:30 UTC
Buoytender Bob wrote:
Great, so now 2 people are putting their jobs at risk.................

They aren't your jobs, not really your problem to worry about, is it?

Adama: Starbuck, what do you hear? Starbuck: Nothing but the rain. Adama: Then grab your gun and bring in the cat.

Johan Civire
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#48 - 2012-08-03 00:43:52 UTC
Pix Severus wrote:
If eveonline.com used a dedicated IP address instead of a shared one, you'd probably be able to access the site just by typing it's IP address into the address bar of your browser. Unfortunatley this isn't the case (I tried).

You could try a web-based proxy, but they'd probably start blocking those too eventually. The way I see it is that your employers wouldn't have blocked Eve without a good reason, i.e. they don't want you on there during work hours. Maybe you should just accept that?

I played lets say 90% at work when i have night shift so freaking bord at night but the can block it why not use proxy for it. Buy a cheap proxy login client login and your done? i have not tested it yet so.
Lord Arakkis
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#49 - 2012-08-03 02:25:57 UTC
Ah, Im a boss, so I dont have this issue. Come work for me. I pay in plex.

Your still a child in the eyes of the universe

Har Harrison
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#50 - 2012-08-03 04:18:34 UTC
They did the same to me at my old job (technically current one, but I have like 2-3 hours left as today is my last day).

They implemented a cloud based proxy solution and exluded game sites. I can get to the forums but nothing else on the eve website (at work now as nothing left to do by the way).

The reason I believe I can get to them is because the forums use HTTPS whilst the other parts of the website use HTTP. Now I could be wrong about this - I didn't walk up to the sys admin and say "So if I can still get to this part of the site, is it because of...???" as that would have lost me the forums access I still have!!!

Pankas Carter
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#51 - 2012-08-03 04:23:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Pankas Carter
Pix Severus wrote:
If eveonline.com used a dedicated IP address instead of a shared one, you'd probably be able to access the site just by typing it's IP address into the address bar of your browser. Unfortunatley this isn't the case (I tried).

You could try a web-based proxy, but they'd probably start blocking those too eventually. The way I see it is that your employers wouldn't have blocked Eve without a good reason, i.e. they don't want you on there during work hours. Maybe you should just accept that?

Even if it wasn't a shared IP, that still almost never works, because most everyone sets up Apache with virtual domains even when they host one site. Best you usually get is some default page, the apache manual, etc.

Rather than BS with that:

1. Work while you're at work (i know, i know)
2. Try using google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) if you don't need internal DNS
3. SSH tunnel with tinyproxy running on the remote host. *

* - I use this myself, to get around our websense. It works for most of the company as they are sales, marketting, helpdesk etc. For us engineers, we have to play with "hacking tools" to help debug stuff, visit "hacking sites" to keep up to date on security or look up strange error codes from libraries etc. Currently I've got an AWS micro instance that I use.

Yea yea, i can request access legitimately... but that's stupid when half the time you don't even know if the random forum has the answer you'll need... and even then, you'll probably never come back. This is easier and faster for everyone involved.

Adama: Starbuck, what do you hear? Starbuck: Nothing but the rain. Adama: Then grab your gun and bring in the cat.

rodyas
Tie Fighters Inc
#52 - 2012-08-03 04:31:02 UTC
CCP Phantom wrote:
Christy D Floyd wrote:
Update:

Yeah tell them about PLEX, and how they can play for free, that way they still have enough money to buy 420 from you.

Signature removed for inappropriate language - CCP Eterne

Christy D Floyd
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#53 - 2012-08-03 12:23:15 UTC
CCP Phantom wrote:
Christy D Floyd wrote:
Update:

My It guy is a diablo player but he is considering a stab at EVE I even offered him two free plexes, we will have to see if he joins us crazy MOFO's.

Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons.

Akirei Scytale
Okami Syndicate
#54 - 2012-08-03 12:26:55 UTC
Christy D Floyd wrote:
Well if getting ganked in your hulk isnt enough my IT department at work has now blocked Eveonline websites. Does anyone know any workarounds to access websites if they are blocked by yout IT department. The website blocked is Eveonline.com but I still can acess the fforums and other sites like battleclinic. I believe I can access the forums because they begin with //forums.eveonline but the main website forget about it.

Odds are that block was 100% due to you.

Start working, you're in the crosshairs. Your job is next on the chopping block otherwise.
Herr Hammer Draken
#55 - 2012-08-03 12:35:21 UTC
Oh dude your IT guy is playing you.

Herr Hammer Draken "The Amarr Prophet"

Doc Severide
Doomheim
#56 - 2012-08-03 23:15:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Doc Severide
I used to be a Network Print Architect at another company. It was hilarious, the Human Resource people were so fuking stupid. They used to say. "You can't come in here to do any printer admin, You might see something you should not on one of our printers". They has no idea that I could see EVERYTHING they printed anytime I wanted from the privacy of my own desk.

But talking about wasting your companies time and resources. I used to track all the print each month. I could tell right down to the page, what was printed and how much paper was used. Out of 4000 people a full 20% of the print was stupid women printing recipies for baking and stuff. Complete joke... I got someone in trouble for getting the helpdesk to page me after hours. Some nub wanted her "important report". It turned out it was a bunch of pictures of model trains. Stupid bimboslut...
Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#57 - 2012-09-20 22:29:53 UTC
Maybe you could convince your boss that eve is work... plenty of threads making that argument...

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Tarn Kugisa
Kugisa Dynamics
#58 - 2012-09-20 22:53:17 UTC
Doc Severide wrote:
I work for the IT department. We had our own solution. We set up our own server outside the firewalls and we can connect to anywhere anytime. No one else can use the server except us server guys. All the regular dupes have to follow the company line...

Christy D Floyd wrote:
Its funny everyone says just do your work but the thing is I actually do work and I have been promoted since i bring in more money to this company then anyone else yet they feel they have to pull a power trip.
Their hardware, their rules...

Quote:
Update: Everyone in my office is bitching since they blocekd facebook, twitter and gmail but that didnt bother me since I dont do facebook or twitter or gmail.
I'd be firing people who spent time on that crap...

Ah, the power of the IT Department. Pirate

Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to troll everyone you meet - KuroVolt

Buck Futz
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#59 - 2012-09-20 23:30:13 UTC
Once upon a time, this might have been an issue at the workplace. But in this world of cheap laptops and mobile broadband, any and all personal stuff is safe from the prying eyes of the IT dept. Don't understand why anyone would use a work computer to do questionable things on company time.

OK, gotta get back to work.

Bigpimping
Pimp Inc.
#60 - 2012-09-20 23:31:36 UTC
So you run two corporate jobs simultaneously? Impressive.